Boston College

D1 Womens Lacrosse
DMac

Re: Boston College

Post by DMac »

Good for the game when you've got a couple of NFL QBs talkin' up wlax.
Daddy and uncle undoubtedly proud of their daughters/nieces.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

DMac wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:56 pm Good for the game when you've got a couple of NFL QBs talkin' up wlax.
Daddy and uncle undoubtedly proud of their daughters/nieces.
Yeah—no doubt. It will be interesting to see if they become great players.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Other NFLers whose daughters played lax include John Elway and John Harbaugh. Plus I think he was a tackle for the Washington Redskins named Johnson whose daughter is currently playing at Ohio State.
Itsallgood

Post by Itsallgood »

njbill wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:37 pm Other NFLers whose daughters played lax include John Elway and John Harbaugh. Plus I think he was a tackle for the Washington Redskins named Johnson whose daughter is currently playing at Ohio State.
Troy Aikman was a regular on the summer club tournament circuit with his daughter.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Got a Belichick in the mix too. You gotta figure most of these gals grow up around good athletes which is always a plus...to say nothing of the gene pool they're working with.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

Jim Pyne - a long-term NFL lineman who was drafted by the Tampa Bay Bucs from Virginia Tech has a 2022 daughter that is committed to Holy Cross. The Pyne family was the first family in the NFL to have three generations of players - Jim's dad and grandfather both played. He also has a nephew who may be the starting QB at Notre Dame this coming year and another nephew who is an offensive tackle at Boston College. Lot's of talent in the family.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Cletus wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:36 pm Another Hasselbeck heading to BC

https://twitter.com/ilwomen/status/1377 ... 80905?s=21
Yeah, they were talking about this on a recent broadcast. The Hasselbecks are pretty committed BC people. I guess their mom was a decorated field hockey player there, made the BC Athletics HOF before Matt. Nice bit of tradition there.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Check the Hasselbeck gals out;
Matt Hasselbeck’s wife Sarah Hasselbeck (formerly Sarah Egnaczyk) was an All American field hockey goaltender at BC, setting school records in wins, saves and shutouts. She was elected to the Boston College Varsity Club Athletic Hall of Fame in 2002. Matt, another BC athletic standout has yet to be elected to the BC Hall of Fame. I’m guessing that fact isn’t brought up at the house very often.
Aunt Elizabeth;
Hasselbeck was raised Roman Catholic and attended St. Mary School in Cranston, followed by St. Mary Academy – Bay View in East Providence, where she graduated in 1995.[3] She then attended Boston College, where she captained the women's softball team for two seasons, winning consecutive Big East championships.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

DMac wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:56 pm You gotta figure most of these gals grow up around good athletes which is always a plus...to say nothing of the gene pool they're working with.
Great point on the gene pool. That comes up often when one reads the bios of some of the players on team websites. For instance, Izzy Scane's mom ran track at Grand Valley State and her dad wrestled at Grand Valley State.

I'm sure that, as you say, the gene pool is a big factor.
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

“GREENSBORO, N.C. (theACC.com) – Boston College senior attacker Charlotte North and North Carolina senior attacker Jamie Ortega have earned ACC Women’s Lacrosse Co-Offensive Player of the Week honors, while UNC senior goalkeeper Taylor Moreno was selected ACC Defensive Player of the Week.

North and Ortega each earned Offensive Player of the Week laurels for the third time this season, while Moreno was feted with Defensive Player of the Week honors for the second time in 2021.

North scored six goals on nine shots to lead No. 4 Boston College to a 17-15 win over No. 8 Duke on Saturday. A native of Dallas, Texas, North also racked up a team-high seven draw controls. After Duke pulled within one goal, 16-15, with 4:01 remaining, North sealed the deal by scoring her sixth goal to make it 17-15. She scored each of the Eagles’ final two goals in the game.”

We were lucky enough to see the Duke game in person. The Duke parents were absolutely seething watching North exact revenge in the draw circle and scoring clutch goals. It didn’t receive much ink, but North prevailed over the 6’ 2” pre-season first team all American draw control ace from Duke, with BC winning draws 19-15.

North’s shot is the best in women’s lacrosse as evidenced here: https://twitter.com/bcwlax/status/13791 ... 50114?s=21

Her dodging is also the best in the NCAA and Saturday brought us these two gems: https://twitter.com/bcwlax/status/13788 ... 31555?s=21

Are there really countless other women the critics would prefer to have on their team? Countless? One quote from earlier in the season did turn out to be accidentally accurate: her Duke teammates were definitely sick of her act Saturday.

Onward Christian soldiers!
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

Can Opener wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:27 am “GREENSBORO, N.C. (theACC.com) – Boston College senior attacker Charlotte North and North Carolina senior attacker Jamie Ortega have earned ACC Women’s Lacrosse Co-Offensive Player of the Week honors, while UNC senior goalkeeper Taylor Moreno was selected ACC Defensive Player of the Week.

North and Ortega each earned Offensive Player of the Week laurels for the third time this season, while Moreno was feted with Defensive Player of the Week honors for the second time in 2021.

North scored six goals on nine shots to lead No. 4 Boston College to a 17-15 win over No. 8 Duke on Saturday. A native of Dallas, Texas, North also racked up a team-high seven draw controls. After Duke pulled within one goal, 16-15, with 4:01 remaining, North sealed the deal by scoring her sixth goal to make it 17-15. She scored each of the Eagles’ final two goals in the game.”

We were lucky enough to see the Duke game in person. The Duke parents were absolutely seething watching North exact revenge in the draw circle and scoring clutch goals. It didn’t receive much ink, but North prevailed over the 6’ 2” pre-season first team all American draw control ace from Duke, with BC winning draws 19-15.
North’s shot is the best in women’s lacrosse as evidenced here: https://twitter.com/bcwlax/status/13791 ... 50114?s=21

Her dodging is also the best in the NCAA and Saturday brought us these two gems: https://twitter.com/bcwlax/status/13788 ... 31555?s=21

Are there really countless other women the critics would prefer to have on their team? Countless? One quote from earlier in the season did turn out to be accidentally accurate: her Duke teammates were definitely sick of her act Saturday.

Onward Christian soldiers!
Still surprised game was so close. No one disputes she is a talented player. I think some people get turned off by the "exuberance" of her shots and her celebration. Obv you are a BC and North fan and that's great. Everyone has their favourite players. The ND and Syracuse games with BC should be fun.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Can someone explain to me why more wlaxers can't throw the ball the way North does in that clip? Give me twenty mlaxers and every one of them can throw the ball with that kind of velocity, give me twenty wlaxers and how many can? Yes, I know all about the difference in the sticks but that is not the difference, the difference is technique. This is about leverage and torque and how you use your body to get that, it's not about the stick or strength.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

DMac wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:05 am Can someone explain to me why more wlaxers can't throw the ball the way North does in that clip? Give me twenty mlaxers and every one of them can throw the ball with that kind of velocity, give me twenty wlaxers and how many can? Yes, I know all about the difference in the sticks but that is not the difference, the difference is technique. This is about leverage and torque and how you use your body to get that, it's not about the stick or strength.
I was watching the UVA/ND game and was noting that one of the players pushes her passes (stiff stop of the stick)....all of them. She comes from a LAX family and had to have been taught to follow through, but it isn't there....What she does creates soft, often moon like passes.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

I’m noticing a lot more players who can rip the ball from the 8 m free position like North. Players I hadn’t even heard of on multiple teams can rip it this way now. I think the influence is certainly out there. Selena Lasota and Nicole Levy come to mind from a previous graduating class. Izzy obviously in this day. #’s 51 and 44 for SU. I’ll start keeping my eye out for others.
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

LF500 - You have previously written that you agree with this statement:

‘IMO North has always "only been about herself". I think its the reason she left Duke, her teammates grew sick of her act. She's a very talented player, but there are countless others I would rather have on my team before her, countless...“

Do you still think there are countless others you’d put on your team before CN now? She is a near lock to be a first or second team All American and is arguably the most effective draw control athlete in the country. She has an outside shot for the Tewaaraton. How many top 20 D1 coaches would refuse to recruit her or who can’t count high enough to list all the better draft picks for their team. If her BC teammates are sick of her and think she’s only about herself, they should all be considered for Academy Awards. Maybe the criticism has shrunk to disliking her cellies.
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

Cletus wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:12 am I’m noticing a lot more players who can rip the ball from the 8 m free position like North. Players I hadn’t even heard of on multiple teams can rip it this way now. I think the influence is certainly out there. Selena Lasota and Nicole Levy come to mind from a previous graduating class. Izzy obviously in this day. #’s 51 and 44 for SU. I’ll start keeping my eye out for others.
Izzy is a great player and has a good chance at the Tewaaraton, so no disrespect to her, but she does not shoot like CN. NU isn’t as good about posting video highlights, but here is the best clip I could find. DMac is right. Other women just don’t generate the torque we see from CN. And yes, I understand that a shot on the run is different from a FP shot, but even so...
https://twitter.com/nulax/status/137597 ... 07523?s=21
DMac

Post by DMac »

Dr. Tact wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:09 am
DMac wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:05 am Can someone explain to me why more wlaxers can't throw the ball the way North does in that clip? Give me twenty mlaxers and every one of them can throw the ball with that kind of velocity, give me twenty wlaxers and how many can? Yes, I know all about the difference in the sticks but that is not the difference, the difference is technique. This is about leverage and torque and how you use your body to get that, it's not about the stick or strength.
I was watching the UVA/ND game and was noting that one of the players pushes her passes (stiff stop of the stick)....all of them. She comes from a LAX family and had to have been taught to follow through, but it isn't there....What she does creates soft, often moon like passes.
Yes, I have noticed this for years now, too many girls tend to "push" the ball rather than "throw" the ball (think most understand what I mean by that), it makes me crazy. I've always wondered if that's because of dangerous shot/pass rules in that the follow through can land you in the penalty box if you're not careful with it.
Cletus wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:12 am I’m noticing a lot more players who can rip the ball from the 8 m free position like North. Players I hadn’t even heard of on multiple teams can rip it this way now. I think the influence is certainly out there. Selena Lasota and Nicole Levy come to mind from a previous graduating class. Izzy obviously in this day. #’s 51 and 44 for SU. I’ll start keeping my eye out for others.
Yup, there are getting to more and more of them (Halle Majorana threw it like this too). This is simply a matter of teaching a player how to throw the ball right. Some are better with a stick than others but all should have the right mechanics. Methinks more and more in the future will be shooting like this and that's apt to cause problems in the girl's game....might be viewed as too dangerous.
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

Can Opener wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:17 am LF500 - You have previously written that you agree with this statement:

‘IMO North has always "only been about herself". I think its the reason she left Duke, her teammates grew sick of her act. She's a very talented player, but there are countless others I would rather have on my team before her, countless...“

Do you still think there are countless others you’d put on your team before CN now? She is a near lock to be a first or second team All American and is arguably the most effective draw control athlete in the country. She has an outside shot for the Tewaaraton. How many top 20 D1 coaches would refuse to recruit her or who can’t count high enough to list all the better draft picks for their team. If her BC teammates are sick of her and think she’s only about herself, they should all be considered for Academy Awards. Maybe the criticism has shrunk to disliking her cellies.
I would not take her on my team. This is just my opinion so don’t crucify me - because you asked the question. The lacrosse world is small. There is a lot of insider info that many people are unaware of . Personalities and chemistry - to me- matter more than anything else. I’m not a fan (and that is ok too!)
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

Laxfan500 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:43 am
Can Opener wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:17 am LF500 - You have previously written that you agree with this statement:

I would not take her on my team. This is just my opinion so don’t crucify me - because you asked the question. The lacrosse world is small. There is a lot of insider info that many people are unaware of . Personalities and chemistry - to me- matter more than anything else. I’m not a fan (and that is ok too!)
Fair enough. That’s why Baskin Robbins has 31 flavors.
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

Can Opener wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:50 am
Laxfan500 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:43 am

Fair enough. That’s why Baskin Robbins has 31 flavors.
:0

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”