THE 2019 Hopkins Lacrosse Fallout Shelter (44, we want more!)

D1 Mens Lacrosse
johnnyonthegunpowder

Re: THE Hopkins Lacrosse Fallout Shelter (44, we want more!)

Post by johnnyonthegunpowder »

Hmmmm....I'm not fan of said dapping. Getting called out publicly by the legendary #19 for what could be interpreted as lack of loyalty or competitiveness is way, way worse than being on Dwan's low light real. But, ya gotta absolutely love that Riordan still has the fire. That's the edge Petro was talking about and that's why Riordan is one of the best Jays to ever play. Dapping, the seemingly accepted terminology, your opponent after he scores is the polar opposite of the nastiness Petro reference in the presser.

But, this is a different generation than Riordan and certain things are more acceptable, so it's a harmless interaction. It's interesting though, as Tillman was talking about the challenges of coaching this generation as well in his presser after the Richmond game.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Wood Sticks 4ever wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:22 pm One thing that hit me that I have yet to see mentioned. Our offensive middies spent ALOT of time on the defensive side of the field. Concannon and DeSimone in particular seemed to be looking real confused quite alot. Maybe Tinney spoiled us last year with some good defense, but we looked real small and slow on transition defense. Seems like we need bigger, faster offensive middies to transition to defense (calling Mr. Zinn) or a way to better deal with transition substitutions
Bingo.

Zinn needs to play. A lot.

Wouldn't mind seeing Mabbett get more than the one token run in the 4th quarter of a blowout loss, too.

When Brett Baskin somehow winds up playing defense, getting bulldozed by their best offensive player, something is wrong either schematically or personnel-wise.

For what it's worth, I actually think DeSimone plays better 1on1 defense than the rotating cast of "#3 SSDM," whoever that happens to be at the time.
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

johnnyonthegunpowder wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:42 pm Hmmmm....I'm not fan of said dapping. Getting called out publicly by the legendary #19 for what could be interpreted as lack of loyalty or competitiveness is way, way worse than being on Dwan's low light real. But, ya gotta absolutely love that Riordan still has the fire. That's the edge Petro was talking about and that's why Riordan is one of the best Jays to ever play. Dapping, the seemingly accepted terminology, your opponent after he scores is the polar opposite of the nastiness Petro reference in the presser.

But, this is a different generation than Riordan and certain things are more acceptable, so it's a harmless interaction. It's interesting though, as Tillman was talking about the challenges of coaching this generation as well in his presser after the Richmond game.
And you can acknowledge your former teammate and his goal after the game. It sets a bad tone that your are dapping an opponent during the game. It says, "gee, it is okay we are getting our head kicked in." It says the results are fine and that I have a better connection to a former teammate than I do to my own teammate.
thatsmell

Post by thatsmell »

xxxxxxx wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:51 pm
flalax22 wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:25 pm Interesting to notice Terry O' Riordan indirectly taking Cole Williams to task on Dan Aburns post about former Loyola teammates "dapping" each other after a Towson goal.

https://twitter.com/Dan_Aburn/status/10 ... 9267985409
They were high school teammates, no problem with a low key tap of the gloves. Move on.
Speaking of moving on, I find a 45+ year old man still living in his college days (and calling out a college kid) a tad more troubling than two h/s friends "dapping" on the game field.

RDR. Men for others.

I never knew no Godfather. I got my own family, Senator."
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

Zinn needs to see the field, he is the best of the Freshman Middies... Mabbett, too slow and not very dynamic, he is not an answer. Hops has 4-5 serviceable middies, Petro needs to make it work or it could be a long season
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

thatsmell wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:36 am
Speaking of moving on, I find a 45+ year old man still living in his college days (and calling out a college kid) a tad more troubling than two h/s friends "dapping" on the game field.
Yea, have to agree with that.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

foreverlax wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:58 pm
Either of you guys think the head coach is ok with it? Petro spent most of the post game press conference talking about toughness. I don't think he liked it one bit.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:18 am

When Brett Baskin somehow winds up playing defense, getting bulldozed by their best offensive player, something is wrong either schematically or personnel-wise.
Baskin was getting bulldozed on both sides of the ball. Enough of Baskin, Keough, Cattoni and the rest of the waterbugs. You recruited size. Use it.
molo

Post by molo »

Perfect example of what outsiders say about Baltimore. In the rest of the world, "Where did you go to school?" means, "Where did you go to college?" Here, especially to private school grads, it means, "Where did you go to high school?"
Congratulate your hs teammates after the game, not during play.
thatsmell

Post by thatsmell »

flalax22 wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:47 pm
Either of you guys think the head coach is ok with it? Petro spent most of the post game press conference talking about toughness. I don't think he liked it one bit.
Molo is spot on in this one. HS matters in Baltimore.

Petro is probably not happy. And rightfully so. As the head coach, the guy actually in charge of the team and players in question while they are on the field, he is absolutely right to have a problem and express his displeasure over their behavior, competitiveness, or focus on the field.

Completely unrelated- I may be pushing 50, but I think I'm going to update my twitter profile with a picture of me from college and let these players nowadays know how we REALLY did things 30 years ago. I peaked my senior year and really like that version of me the best. Lots more hair, many more muscles. Plenty of prospects!

Sheesh. Social media. Home of the talkers, not doers.
I never knew no Godfather. I got my own family, Senator."
johnnyonthegunpowder

Post by johnnyonthegunpowder »

xxxxxxx wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:51 pm
flalax22 wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:25 pm Interesting to notice Terry O' Riordan indirectly taking Cole Williams to task on Dan Aburns post about former Loyola teammates "dapping" each other after a Towson goal.

https://twitter.com/Dan_Aburn/status/10 ... 9267985409
They were high school teammates, no problem with a low key tap of the gloves. Move on.

RDR. Men for others.

That's an odd comment to post on a forum about college lacrosse, Smell. It's essentially what we do here, give or take the tone of it. None of it's "troubling". And Riordan was perfectly respectable, he simply said it was "weird". It's a generational thing, so its understandable if it comes off as beyond the norm, as many, many of kids in D1 lax have played on the same schools in Bmore and later competed against one another without said dapping. Anywho, NBD, Cole will start racking up points sooner than later. Just keep Bateman away from him on Saturday.

It's not a matter of O middies or D middies on the defensive end unfortunately.
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

flalax22 wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:47 pm
As the HC, I would have lost my mind, let Petro deal with his team.....with that said, I have never seen it happen, at any level before Saturday.
Hopkins34

Post by Hopkins34 »

Scotty, Fred Smith, Zim and Chic would never accept this. They would have pulled him right away and have a very stern conversation with the player. Most likely bench them. Then on Monday he would run his ass off with extra gassers after practice. It would never happen again if the wanted to be a member of a Hopkins Lax Team. Period...Games were War and friendship's with opponents were taboo till after the game. I am sure Petro had a meeting with the lad.
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

This is such a non issue, anyone remember the Varello brothers hugging at midfield. I know how tough and manly everyone was back in the good old days when real men coaches would never tolerate such a thing. Two high school friends tapping gloves after a nice play is the least of Petro’s Worries.
baltlaxdad1966

Post by baltlaxdad1966 »

There's not a reason for anyone to over react. Anyone who thinks Towson ends this season ahead of Hop is a clown. Hop has more weapons on offense than they know what to do with. Epstein is going to take over this thing, let Williams be a wing dodger or have those to work 2 man behind the net and let the rest of the guys fill off ball type roles. System will work out. Nothing worth freaking out about.
Hop to the final 4 lock it in
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

baltlaxdad1966 wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:36 pm There's not a reason for anyone to over react. Anyone who thinks Towson ends this season ahead of Hop is a clown. Hop has more weapons on offense than they know what to do with. Epstein is going to take over this thing, let Williams be a wing dodger or have those to work 2 man behind the net and let the rest of the guys fill off ball type roles. System will work out. Nothing worth freaking out about.
The most aggressively optimistic post I’ve seen in years. No reason to hate on Towson though. :lol:
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

I am pretty sure the final four is not a lock but hey did the US give up when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?
Anyway, as far as the now infamous dap - I guess it could be the signal of the decline of Western civilization but I for one might hope Petro addresses the following issues first:
- the fact his team did not win more than 2 F/Os in any quarter and got blitzed 75/25 in F/O %
- the fact that his entire starting team did not pick up 10 ground balls
- the fact that the two upper class stalwarts of his vaunted attack chipped in for two beyond meaningless 4th quarter goals and that's it
- the fact that his team turned the ball over on average 4.5 times every 15 minutes
- the fact that his close defense - supposed to be the strength of the team - got abused and helped to give up 13 goals in 30 minutes
- the fact that his goalie had a very rough stretch where he couldn't see a thing to help stop the bleeding (the low to low long stick goal from a ways out being a prime example)

Then maybe he should address one of his players giving a nod to an opponent. And let's be fair to Petro on this issue - whatever you want to say about him - I don't think anyone can take him to task for not being beyond competitive and for trying to prepare his team. He wasn't blowing sunshine up the player's you know what and belittling Towson. He was telling them how good Woodall is, how they have good shooters and how Nadelen would prepare the defense etc. etc. While he accepted responsibility and must do so - this S show was on the players IMO. So maybe the dap is/was a signal of something but there are monumental issues in front of that.

And we can all read a calendar - the problem with such a loss - no matter the score - is it puts you squarely behind the eight ball with a Top 5 team coming into your place and then hitting the road for 3 games - anybody like to remember the last visit to Class of 1952? How's our recent record against Carolina?
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

thatsmell wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:55 pm

Molo is spot on in this one. HS matters in Baltimore.

Sheesh. Social media. Home of the talkers, not doers.
Couldn't agree more on these points. Baltimore is very wierdly a provincial city where one went to high school is almost always more important than where went to college. I've never seen it in another city as much as you see it in Baltimore. I think it is because Baltimore is not a very transient city in the sense that not many people move from other places in America to Baltimore.

Compare that to 35 miles down the road in DC, where a person went to college is infinitely more important. High school attendance does have its place in the hierarchy of questions in the networking questions but its way down the list. DC is almost on the polar opposite of Baltimore in that it might be too transient. You rarely meet people that spent their entire time in one town in the DC area.

And Social Media is awful...if it disappeared tomorrow our world would be a better place.
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

Henpecked wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:07 pm
baltlaxdad1966 wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:36 pm There's not a reason for anyone to over react. Anyone who thinks Towson ends this season ahead of Hop is a clown. Hop has more weapons on offense than they know what to do with. Epstein is going to take over this thing, let Williams be a wing dodger or have those to work 2 man behind the net and let the rest of the guys fill off ball type roles. System will work out. Nothing worth freaking out about.
The most aggressively optimistic post I’ve seen in years. No reason to hate on Towson though. :lol:
He's not entirely wrong and this is coming from a typical pessimistic poster. Lots of things have to be worked out and it would be better if Hopkins could get someone at the FO but still a long season. It would have been better to win or be competitive but one game doesn't make a season.
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

51percentcorn wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:17 am
- the fact his team did not win more than 2 F/Os in any quarter and got blitzed 75/25 in F/O %
- the fact that his entire starting team did not pick up 10 ground balls

- the fact that his team turned the ball over on average 4.5 times every 15 minutes
Face-offs - losing face-offs by that big of a margin, especially cleanly, is an issue. The shot clock helps mitigate f/o advantages because teams should normally turn the ball over on many shots. But Towson put 32 of 50 shots on goal for a 64% shooting percentage. That would be almost double the no. 1 rate from last year. That is unlikely to happen again. Because they put the ball on cage they got to wear down the defense and restart the clock. It is disconcerting that Hopkins' defense allowed that many shots to get through to Darby and...

Groundballs: this is the real issue. Hopkins was out-grounded ball (non face-offs) by 11. Towson's advantage on potentially contested groundballs was equal to the number of contested groundballs Hopkins picked up. That is certainly not good.

Turnovers: As noted above, Towson ended the game with +14 in possessions just on f/o wins. Add in +11 more on contested groundballs, +3 on T/O ratio and a further +5 on CTO gave Towson a huge possession advantage. You aren't going to win many games when the other team has 33 more opportunities with the ball than you.

If Hopkins is going to lose the F/o at this rate all year, they are going to have to become more aggressive in other areas to negate other teams advantages. The shot clock will help but they are going to have to be better on GBs and on ball trying to take the ball away.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”