D1 Mens Lacrosse
LRoggy

Re: Hobart 2021

Post by LRoggy »

We win this game by 5+ on a neutral field
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

Win is a win is a win. Maybe try working on lowering the turnovers? Maybe a little man up work this week? Maybe a few shooting drills.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

3-1
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Ketch

Post by Ketch »

Pretty ugly game and the refs were shameful, but we came away with a W that no one thought we would get. Hopefully they will allow fans at the Boz next week! I’ll be there for sure.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Great game.
LRoggy

Post by LRoggy »

Looks like Merrimack is doing us a favor too
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

Glad to get the W. In spite of some of the worst home town refs I've witnessed in years. Interesting how Bryant's FOGO (who is very good) jumped 3x and Hobart got called for going early. Apparently the officials thought it was OK to only call 1 out 6 blatant head shots. Then again, I don't expect anything different out of a Bryant team. Holtby saved our bacon, again. Why is it our defense needs half a game to get it it's collective act together? When the D work together as they did in the 2nd half, they're very good. SSDMs need to work on handling the ball in transition and not hang their sticks While stats can be misleading, like today's faceoff #s, thanks to the refs, others tell a n important, continuing tale. Clears need work. Too many times simple passes become pop flies. D men trying shovel passes to a marked attackmen tends not to work. Be out ground balled is a recipe for an additional L in the W/L column. On to the offense..... Man-up .. 0-6 today, 21.8% on the year. Nuff said. Guys taking more than 2 shots a game shooting 25% or less need to work on their accuracy, or at least their shot selection. Like most offenses, ours works so much better with good ball movement. Today there wasn't much of that till the second half. While everyone on offense (or clearing) should be able to handle the ball, some are better suited to off ball roles and shouldn't be handling the ball as much as we've watched the past couple of games. St. Joes next. For some reason they've always given us a tough game. I think we will be seeing Bryant one more time this season. Hopefully at home or at least at a neutral sight.
catchnshoot

Post by catchnshoot »

Hate blaming refs but that was really hard to watch.
This happens all the time in RI
The league needs to do something

With that said
We need to play better
Fundamentals are terrible throwing the ball all over the yard , no easy catches on passes
Ground balls need work
EMO is lost
Shot selection and decision making poor

And the boys still ground out a win against a tough team + three black and gold refs
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Again,
a great game to watch.

23 saves, 70%, in a league game, and now 4 straight
games with double digit in saves.
Zach Cole, one of the CAA teams, they were trailing him
off the faceoffs, it was a pretty effective strategy to
minimize the face off wins.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

catchnshoot wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:11 am Hate blaming refs but that was really hard to watch.

With that said
We need to play better
Fundamentals are terrible throwing the ball all over the yard , no easy catches on passes
Ground balls need work
EMO is lost

And the boys still ground out a win against a tough team + three black and gold refs
Bryant is a full member and probably treated like the flagship lacrosse program for full status along w Pressler even if it’s been 4-5yrs since Massa/Waldt era. They won’t lift a finger for an associate member like us, look how they treated RoMo on the way out
shoothi

Post by shoothi »

Hobart continues to grow in the "Mental Toughness" department.

Down a bunch at halftime and numerous man downs in 4th qtr, they surge ahead and hang on to WIN.

Believe in your team, each other, and coaches.

Work on fundamentals but I like the mental toughness so far, something that's been lacking in Geneva for a long time
Laxbuck

Post by Laxbuck »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:12 am
catchnshoot wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:11 am Hate blaming refs but that was really hard to watch.

With that said
We need to play better
Ground balls need work
EMO is lost

Bryant is a full member and probably treated like the flagship lacrosse program for full status along w Pressler even if it’s been 4-5yrs since Massa/Waldt era. They won’t lift a finger for an associate member like us, look how they treated RoMo on the way out
SJU an affiliate as well. Next 2 games @ Hobart then @ Bryant. Hobart not the only NEC team feeling the effect of being an affiliate
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

As critical as I am, all I want is for this team to execute at the level of talent they have! Which is quite high in my opinion. The talent this team has is more than enough to win the NEC and surprise the rest of the ACC/B1G fans. It will be good to see them on the Boz again. Hope everyone will be healthy after being hit with numerous cheap shots.
Ketch

Post by Ketch »

oldbartman wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:44 pm As critical as I am, all I want is for this team to execute at the level of talent they have! Which is quite high in my opinion. The talent this team has is more than enough to win the NEC and surprise the rest of the ACC/B1G fans. It will be good to see them on the Boz again. Hope everyone will be healthy after being hit with numerous cheap shots.
There is quite a bit of room for improvement, that is true. But I like what one poster pointed out: our guys are tough. They easily could have folded the tent at halftime but didn’t. Being down by 3 to a team like Bryant is a huge hole to dig out of. Kudos to the team. Would like to see some more consistent play come Saturday. St.Joe’s is always an exciting game.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Laxbuck wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:35 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:12 am

With that said
We need to play better
Ground balls need work
EMO is lost

SJU an affiliate as well. Next 2 games @ Hobart then @ Bryant. Hobart not the only NEC team feeling the effect of being an affiliate
Ahh forgot about that. I’m still feeling the boot from the PL and knowing affiliates always get secondary class status even though they need you when they invite you in.
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

Ketch wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:50 pm
oldbartman wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:44 pm As critical as I am, all I want is for this team to execute at the level of talent they have! Which is quite high in my opinion. The talent this team has is more than enough to win the NEC and surprise the rest of the ACC/B1G fans. It will be good to see them on the Boz again. Hope everyone will be healthy after being hit with numerous cheap shots.
There is quite a bit of room for improvement, that is true. But I like what one poster pointed out: our guys are tough. They easily could have folded the tent at halftime but didn’t. Being down by 3 to a team like Bryant is a huge hole to dig out of. Kudos to the team. Would like to see some more consistent play come Saturday. St.Joe’s is always an exciting game.
Agreed on mental toughness. I did not see that in the LIU game. So that is a good development. But there is some spark missing. Maybe it is a hunger ... who knows. But the EMO problem points to more than strategy.
Truth is, they are still playing like a very early season team. Maybe that is just COVID and no real fall ball. The team is better than how they have played so far. I am looking forward to when things start clicking.
One thing is for sure, they are not last year's team. The rhythm and style are different. They are still finding their way. Holtby has been stellar. Last half D was really good. They need to put it all together. Hope fans are allowed for Saturday.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

Forgot to say CONGRATS to Troy Barthelme on his 1st goal as a Statesman! Hope to see more of those over the rest of his career in Geneva.
TopShelf585

Post by TopShelf585 »

oldbartman wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:52 pm Forgot to say CONGRATS to Troy Barthelme on his 1st goal as a Statesman! Hope to see more of those over the rest of his career in Geneva.
He also had one of the best hits of the game- he absolutely steamrolled that ref on the Man Up.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

TopShelf585 wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:57 pm
oldbartman wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:52 pm Forgot to say CONGRATS to Troy Barthelme on his 1st goal as a Statesman! Hope to see more of those over the rest of his career in Geneva.
He also had one of the best hits of the game- he absolutely steamrolled that ref on the Man Up.
Ref deserved it!!! They were friggin terrible. Homerism at it's worst.
Last edited by oldbartman on Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ketch

Post by Ketch »

For those in Geneva, any chance that spectators will be allowed this weekend?

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”