Johns Hopkins 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
HopFan16

Re: Johns Hopkins 2021

Post by HopFan16 »

Wheels has it right.

Watch Hop's 8th goal (Epstein to DeSimone) at 1:24:44 in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5JaOr-RmG0

Epstein dodges from the high wing and completely leaves the Michigan pole in the dust. Explosive change of direction, gains like three steps of separation in a split second. Then finds DeSo down low who's curling around the goal for an easy score.

Heck, watch the 9th goal too (1:30:20). Basically the same play except this time on a shortie. Roll back doesn't work so he plants his foot and changes direction again and dusts his guy, draws a slide, feeds to DeSo for the dunk.

It's fair to say we haven't seen that as much this year as in 2019, but there are a million reasons for that. He's in a new role, in a new offense with a new staff, getting back to form after a knee injury—and now on top of all that he's got a coach playing mind games. But the explosion exists. Staff has to do a better job of getting him going and I'm pretty sure benching him is not the way, but what do I know I'm just a forum poster.
FlyEaglesFly

Post by FlyEaglesFly »

Thanks for sending those clips. That’s definitely encouraging. I hope to keep seeing this - but still would say I’m a little skeptical he’s back to 2019 explosiveness.
Hoponboard

Post by Hoponboard »

I’ve spent a career in government and business—not sports—but when you call someone out publicly, it is a sign of weakness, not strength. It undermines your authority that you have to resort to that method. Calling out Epstein as a motivational tool risks losing the locker room.

It says volumes that after losing to Hopkins by seven goals each, both Michigan and Penn State made the necessary coaching adjustments and player improvements to win the rematches by three goals. That’s a ten goal swing. Michigan must have been fired up that the player who accounted for six of the seven goal losing margin in the first matchup, would not be starting. I call it the boomerang effect of PM’s action. That is far more damaging than bulletin board material.

If Hop was looking at the second half of the season for signs of improvement, so far those have been few, except for the play of Deso, Angelus and Delaney, and the overall improvement in ground ball play.

I keep waiting for the game when the Hopkins shooter actually drops his stick when shooting from six yards and beyond.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

DMac wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:55 pm
jrn19 wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:46 pm
DMac wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:36 pm If you're looking for a positive about the game, at least you didn't have QuAC on the call (Quint, Anish, Carc).
Game had to have been a bit painful to watch, at least your ears were spared the pain of what that audio would have been.
SSB is terrific.
Anish and Carc have actually made me appreciate Quint more this year. It’s fun to have a commentary duo or team that actually bothers to.....commentate the game.
Yup, heard QK on a call with someone other than those two the other day and he was good.
For the longest time I blamed QK for being the problem. Now that him and Carc have been split up it’s clear Quint can call a game and Carc is an easily excited guy who relies on hyberbolic nonsense to try and generate fan excitement. It seriously takes away from the viewing experience.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

primitiveskills wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:49 pm
Sagittarius A* wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:27 pm
HappyHourLax wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:43 pm I’ll say it once, I’ll say it again.....stop 👏 shooting 👏 high 👏 to 👏 high. This Michigan goalie came into the day saving balls at a 40% clip and were making him look like Larry Quinn.
Petro must be sitting on his couch laughing right about now.
Not sure why he would be laughing, except out of spite. These are his guys, his mess.
Oh my god more fat shaming! Where are the word police!
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Hoponboard wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:26 pm I’ve spent a career in government and business—not sports—but when you call someone out publicly, it is a sign of weakness, not strength. It undermines your authority that you have to resort to that method. Calling out Epstein as a motivational tool risks losing the locker room.

It says volumes that after losing to Hopkins by seven goals each, both Michigan and Penn State made the necessary coaching adjustments and player improvements to win the rematches by three goals. That’s a ten goal swing. Michigan must have been fired up that the player who accounted for six of the seven goal losing margin in the first matchup, would not be starting. I call it the boomerang effect of PM’s action. That is far more damaging than bulletin board material.

If Hop was looking at the second half of the season for signs of improvement, so far those have been few, except for the play of Deso, Angelus and Delaney, and the overall improvement in ground ball play.

I keep waiting for the game when the Hopkins shooter actually drops his stick when shooting from six yards and beyond.
Delaney is a total revelation. 4 GBs and 3 CT today. It's a shame it looks like it'll be wasted on another lost season. Fingers crossed he's back in 2022.

Reinson is also a vastly improved player. The staff deserves credit for correctly moving him to close D after three years at LSM.

There are signs of life. Just not enough right now. And now the Epstein debacle could snowball into an even larger setback.

BTW, Grimes has an absolute cannon. He's started slowly but it's scary to think of where he might be in a year or two.
courtdog

Post by courtdog »

JEN BAKER hires a head coach who is completely unqualified. He goes on to then hire two assistants (John Grant Jr / Volunteer) who are completely unqualified and hires 1 with any real coaching resume (Koesterer). What else were you Hop people expecting? Look at the coaching resumes, this is a joke.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

-not sure how often we've had back to back losing seasons
-coaching staff was brought in to bring change and accountability and going after the captain is a start. Too many fans think that because this is lacrosse and not football or basketball and because these kids went to prep schools they don't deserve to be held accountable publicly or on the field. Too bad. Go play patriot league or nescac if you want that soft stuff.
- Shilling has 40 games and 11 points. not a guy to put in the lineup
-Baskin 5 shots, 0 points. Another one to punt.
-Jaronski putting together tape for bellarmine
-doesn't say a lot about the existing lsms on the roster or the staff that recruited them that a guy who hadn't picked up a stick in years is playing over them on a 2-5 team
-PSU/Michigan losses after previously playing them are disconcerting, but we've seen this play from these players w/prior staffs.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

courtdog wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:58 pm JEN BAKER hires a head coach who is completely unqualified. He goes on to then hire two assistants (John Grant Jr / Volunteer) who are completely unqualified and hires 1 with any real coaching resume (Koesterer). What else were you Hop people expecting? Look at the coaching resumes, this is a joke.
Joke is that “unqualified” assessment.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

jhu06 wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:19 pm -not sure how often we've had back to back losing seasons
-coaching staff was brought in to bring change and accountability and going after the captain is a start. Too many fans think that because this is lacrosse and not football or basketball and because these kids went to prep schools they don't deserve to be held accountable publicly or on the field. Too bad. Go play patriot league or nescac if you want that soft stuff.
-doesn't say a lot about the existing lsms on the roster or the staff that recruited them that a guy who hadn't picked up a stick in years is playing over them on a 2-5 team
-PSU/Michigan losses after previously playing them are disconcerting, but we've seen this play from these players w/prior staffs.
Go play in patriot league or NESCAC if you want that soft stuff...big words
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

jhu06 wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:19 pm -not sure how often we've had back to back losing seasons
If the guy whose "not a guy to put in the lineup" is starting over the captain and best player; well then maybe the captain and best player shouldn't have been sitting
CharmCityLaxMan

Post by CharmCityLaxMan »

Michigan had no answer for Epstein. I am sure they appreciate that Hopkins chose to play him for only a half. May have saved Conry’s job for another year ...
a fan

Post by a fan »

HopFan16 wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:53 pm Just read the Sun article. Wow. That is some Mickey Mouse BS.

If the bar for getting benched is being inconsistent, boy do I have some players to introduce to Milliman.

Making an example out of one of your best players—a two-time captain, no less—for some inconsistency and a single bad shooting game is bush league. It was really only one game—coming into today, including the PSU game, Epstein was 33% on the season, which is perfectly fine for a high volume shooter.
But not for an elite player. The elite players are shooting 45%+ so far this year.

Going to the press is an odd move, but it seems clear that Milliman thinks that Epstein has another gear that he's not showing on game day.
RumorMill

Post by RumorMill »

In my experience and IMO, successful coaches coach every game to win. Especially at this level. You put the best pieces in the best places in order to win the game on game day. That’s pretty much it. The off field tone and behavior, the message sending, etc. is done from the second the game ends until the morning of game day (or night before, whatever). If you have an issue with your “best” players' performance, you pull him during the game when he’s not doing what you spoke to him about and practiced all week long. The media stuff is no bueno. Likewise coaching for 2022 and beyond is done in the margins, not on game day. Game day is to win! Every day is to win! Here’s to righting the ship.
DMac

Post by DMac »

flalax22 wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:27 pm
DMac wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:55 pm
jrn19 wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:46 pm
DMac wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:36 pm If you're looking for a positive about the game, at least you didn't have QuAC on the call (Quint, Anish, Carc).
Game had to have been a bit painful to watch, at least your ears were spared the pain of what that audio would have been.
SSB is terrific.
Anish and Carc have actually made me appreciate Quint more this year. It’s fun to have a commentary duo or team that actually bothers to.....commentate the game.
Yup, heard QK on a call with someone other than those two the other day and he was good.
For the longest time I blamed QK for being the problem. Now that him and Carc have been split up it’s clear Quint can call a game and Carc is an easily excited guy who relies on hyberbolic nonsense to try and generate fan excitement. It seriously takes away from the viewing experience.
Completely agree (although I've always seen Carc and Anish as the most annoying). Was watching the Cuse-ND game at a watering hole where the sound wasn't on. About half way through it was turned on (someone must've asked to turn it on) and that changed everything instantly. Those two are beyond annoying and do indeed ruin a game...as if the game wasn't bad enough to begin with ;) .
courtdog

Post by courtdog »

10stone5 wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:38 pm
courtdog wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:58 pm JEN BAKER hires a head coach who is completely unqualified. He goes on to then hire two assistants (John Grant Jr / Volunteer) who are completely unqualified and hires 1 with any real coaching resume (Koesterer). What else were you Hop people expecting? Look at the coaching resumes, this is a joke.
Joke is that “unqualified” assessment.
Two full seasons as the Head Coach at Cornell for Peter Milliman. He made the playoffs 13-5. He MISSED the playoffs 10-5 (2019). Covid happens in 2020. Everyone should give him the benefit of the doubt for probably 3-4 years to see what he can do, agree with you. But is that the most qualified?
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:43 pm
Go play in patriot league or NESCAC if you want that soft stuff...big words
It’s true Hopkins fans have had a first hand look at “soft.” Hopkins couldn’t beat the top 4-5 teams in the PL right now either.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:28 pm
primitiveskills wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:49 pm
Sagittarius A* wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:27 pm
HappyHourLax wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:43 pm I’ll say it once, I’ll say it again.....stop 👏 shooting 👏 high 👏 to 👏 high. This Michigan goalie came into the day saving balls at a 40% clip and were making him look like Larry Quinn.
Petro must be sitting on his couch laughing right about now.
Not sure why he would be laughing, except out of spite. These are his guys, his mess.
Oh my god more fat shaming! Where are the word police!
This must be the “change in direction” Jen Baker and Petro discussed.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

I guess she felt she really knew this guy well. I guess she didn't know him as well as she thought she did.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

Big Daddy Russell posted the teams record since Epstein arrived in the College Crosse tweet thread. He has since deleted the tweet but it certainly gave me pause to think about Milliman’s decision. I’m not putting that record on Epstein but the reality is it’s ugly and needs to change. We may have to get used to puzzling decisions while this staff turns the ship.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”