Johns Hopkins 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
HopFan16

Re: Johns Hopkins 2021

Post by HopFan16 »

GSP wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:38 pm Impossible for Petro to be be sitting on his coach laughing, because he and Dwan ate the thing this morning.
DMac we found your burner account
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

Clearly, Peter and crew don't know how to coach. Fire them. And hire one of the posters from this 268 page thread....

Remember when Duke wanted to fire Coach K after his first few years of mediocrity?

Patience is a virtue.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

LaxPundit07 wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:57 pm Clearly, Peter and crew don't know how to coach. Fire them. And hire one of the posters from this 268 page thread....

Remember when Duke wanted to fire Coach K after his first few years of mediocrity?

Patience is a virtue.
Nobody is saying anyone should get fired.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

LaxPundit07 wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:57 pm Clearly, Peter and crew don't know how to coach. Fire them. And hire one of the posters from this 268 page thread....

Patience is a virtue.

Why just 1? Make it coaching by committee! Hire 8 posters.
DMac

Post by DMac »

HopFan16 wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:45 pm
GSP wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:38 pm Impossible for Petro to be be sitting on his coach laughing, because he and Dwan ate the thing this morning.
DMac we found your burner account
I don't know what a burner account is but I have guess this suggests I used an alias for that post.
We both know that wouldn't happen.
Last edited by DMac on Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

...and here come the trolls
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

-feel for the program alumni who warred for generations to build the brand and the supporters who help make the program possible. Wilderness isn't fun, but we'll (hopefully) come out of it.
-realize the players (parents) staff have dealt w/unprecedented personal and onfield challenges, hopefully we go forward from here.
-not really sure what else there is to say about the current group other than at least we're playing and coaches are able to see what they need (hint a lot) this offseason.
-there's still May and at the end of the day that's a Johns Hopkins Lacrosse uniform and players deemed by 2 staffs w/stellar pedigrees in the sport worthy of it.
molo

Post by molo »

Loathe as I am to pile on, I can't see the justification for humiliating your best player--and probably hardest worker--because he had a bad shooting game last week. I know that when the game was still somewhat competitive, the Michigan goalie had 16 saves to Hopkins' 6.
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

primitiveskills wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:59 pm ...and here come the trolls
Really ? Anyone should be allowed to jump on. Take it in, things will get better.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

Obviously disappointing result. I have no idea what the thinking was with 32, and so won't speculate.

Well, we outshot them, we had fewer turnovers, we won more f/o's and had more GBs. 8 fewer saves though.

Offense just looks completely lost at this point. They certainly are patient though, taking adjacent passes for the pretty much the whole shot clock every possession. I know it's supposed to be a "motion" offense, but I don't see a lot of motion. Where are the cutters? There's pretty much zero dodging, other than an occasional DeSo move from X. They seem afraid of trying skip passes too. And the shooting isn't great either. And today we added in the special feature of not backing up bad shots and a hot goalie for the other team. Add in the fact that we seem utterly incapable of any kind of transition offense, and it makes it really hard to score goals.

I trust that the Junior and the Prime Minister have a plan for what the offense is supposed to be and that things will get better, but it's just hard to see forward from the bottom on the hole we're currently in.
primitiveskills

Mr3Putt wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:40 pm
primitiveskills wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:59 pm ...and here come the trolls
Anyone should be allowed to jump on.
Exactly. I'm not complaining. Simply stating a fact.
molo

Post by molo »

The goaltending differential was huge and not directly attributable to coaching. Maybe they just don't have a goalie comparable to Michigan. Demoting your best player for someone who couldn't even back up shots was a deliberate coaching move. I can think of one team who would be happy to have him. In fact, this team found a way to play their best attackman at midfield for long stretches and keep him happy enough to lead his team in points. Oh, and that team plays in the "overrated" ACC.
Hoponboard

Post by Hoponboard »

The offense showed the most life when Epstein fed Deso on two
consecutive goals in the 4th. Epstein is second on the team with 21 points. No one has better hand eye coordination. While Joey’s move to first midfield was an attempt to bolster that unit, it really left him outside the offensive flow. The lack of movement in the Jays’ offense makes it easy for an opposing goalie to get a read on where the shot is coming from.

With no outside shooters who can bring it with velocity or change levels, Hop should be attacking the crease relentlessly with cutters off Deso or Epstein feeds. There’s less traffic on those feeds.
Last edited by Hoponboard on Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
redfoxalum

Post by redfoxalum »

Ed Lee’s article on the game has some quotes from PM on not starting Epstein

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/col ... story.html
harflax

Post by harflax »

Millman calls out Epstein in the Baltimore Sun. "He just needs to play a little better." "I don't think he has been very consistent lately, and I don't think he has been helping us enough." There are more quotes but I really don't think anything productive comes from calling a player out publicly. The great coaches have those conversations with the player in a private setting.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

harflax wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:14 pm Millman calls out Epstein in the Baltimore Sun. "He just needs to play a little better." "I don't think he has been very consistent lately, and I don't think he has been helping us enough." There are more quotes but I really don't any productive comes from calling a player out publicly. The great coaches have those conversations with the player in a private setting.
I agree that these quotes are very surprising. But they're not exactly untrue. PM does seem to be a bit of a tough love kind of guy, who very much stresses accountability, though in a less emotional way than the former coach. Epstein also seems like the kind of kid who can take this kind of criticism as well. Very possible PM is trying to light a fire under Epstein and the whole team by making a public example of Epstein, best player and hardest worker. There are obviously also a lot of possibilities that are much worse and bode ill for the future. Looks like this will be the first time we REALLY learn something about PM the coach, as this could go a number of different ways. If he chases off Epstein, unless there's something going on we don't know about, that would leave a material dent in PM's initial deposit of good will from the fanbase, myself included.
primitiveskills

Hoponboard wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:03 pm The offense showed the most life when Epstein fed Deso on two
consecutive goals in the 4th. Epstein is second on the team with 21 points. No one has better hand eye coordination. While Joey’s move to first midfield was an attempt to bolster that unit, it really left him outside the offensive flow. The lack of movement in the Jays’ offense makes it easy for an opposing goalie to get a read on where the shot is coming from.

With no outside shooters who can bring it with velocity or change levels, Hop should be attacking the crease relentlessly with cutters off Deso or Epstein feeds. There’s less traffic on those feeds.
Agree. Morevover, using Epstein on the wing as a creator (a la Kevin Boland) rather than a catch-and-shoot guy gives a different dimension. But if guys on the current roster don't develop beyond being one-dimensional shooters, this offense is limited. Look for recruits who can vary release point and placement.
DMac

Post by DMac »

If you're looking for a positive about the game, at least you didn't have QuAC on the call (Quint, Anish, Carc).
Game had to have been a bit painful to watch, at least your ears were spared the pain of what that audio would have been.
SSB is terrific.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

DMac wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:36 pm If you're looking for a positive about the game, at least you didn't have QuAC on the call (Quint, Anish, Carc).
Game had to have been a bit painful to watch, at least your ears were spared the pain of what that audio would have been.
SSB is terrific.
Anish and Carc have actually made me appreciate Quint more this year. It’s fun to have a commentary duo or team that actually bothers to.....commentate the game.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Just read the Sun article. Wow. That is some Mickey Mouse BS.

If the bar for getting benched is being inconsistent, boy do I have some players to introduce to Milliman.

Making an example out of one of your best players—a two-time captain, no less—for some inconsistency and a single bad shooting game is bush league. It was really only one game—coming into today, including the PSU game, Epstein was 33% on the season, which is perfectly fine for a high volume shooter. Even with the rough shooting day he was tied for the team lead in goals against PSU. It's all just unnecessary. The difference in the looks our zone offense was generating with him vs. without was excruciatingly obvious. Even on the goals he did not directly assist, his skip passes open things up for others. (Angelus' goal, for instance, wasn't a direct Epstein assist but was 100% due to his presence on the field allowing for that opportunity.)

How about the midfielder who hasn't scored since February despite playing almost every other shift? How's that for inconsistency?

If you're going to bench him at the very least put McDermott or someone down there instead. There sure as sh*t wasn't a short term benefit to the decision and there wasn't a long term one either. Could have been valuable minutes for someone who might factor more heavily into your plans later this season or next. If your response to that is "well he's not ready yet, the guy they put in instead is just better right now and would give us a better chance to win" then my reply would be "If that's your argument, doesn't #32 give us the best chance to win out of all of these options?"

Anyone have any idea why Keogh didn't play?

This is a great way for the players and the fans to lose confidence. Self-inflicted wound.
Last edited by HopFan16 on Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”