UNC at Duke

D1 Mens Lacrosse
johnnyonthegunpowder

Re: UNC at Duke

Post by johnnyonthegunpowder »

No clue what the offensive game plan was in the second half for Heels. Terrible ball movement, hail Mary shots, quantity over quality, and too much stuffing the ball inside like they were trying to jam it in an end zone. Tremendous defense, but Carolina offense looked mentally beat. Throw some fresh legs and fresh eyes in there and see what shakes out for a few runs. The same goes for Duke. You've got Manown on the bench and you're in a draught....see what happens.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

13 straight wins now for Duke,
2 games against Notre Dame and 1 against UVA,
definite winnable games before they finish up
with UNC again.
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

bananas wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:06 pm Bernhardt's tewarrton status advanced tonight.

Adler was big for Duke tonight.
Bernhardt is a heck of a player, and your probably right. However, his next few games are vs : ham & cheese, grilled cheese, and tuna salad . Duke & UNC coming up have : tenderloin, crab cakes and shrimp salad.
Kikin

Post by Kikin »

UNC and Duke are playing a bunch of "name brand teams" for sure but I am not sure the record of these teams looks all that impressive. UNC has Virginia, who lost by alot to Syracuse and barely beat High Point and Robert Morris. Duke is facing Notre Dame, who has not played a very challenging schedule and has a one point loss to Virginia, Virginia who noted above. So meh, I would not see any of those teams as a "powerhouse" this season. I think maybe everyone is overlooking Rutgers, I think they could go toe to toe with all of these teams.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

MD can play RU only so many times...
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
BigTom4

Post by BigTom4 »

Kikin wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:03 am UNC and Duke are playing a bunch of "name brand teams" for sure but I am not sure the record of these teams looks all that impressive. UNC has Virginia, who lost by alot to Syracuse and barely beat High Point and Robert Morris. Duke is facing Notre Dame, who has not played a very challenging schedule and has a one point loss to Virginia, Virginia who noted above. So meh, I would not see any of those teams as a "powerhouse" this season. I think maybe everyone is overlooking Rutgers, I think they could go toe to toe with all of these teams.
Meh? ND has probably the best defense and 2nd best FO tandem in the country and UVA, while known to play down to their competition, was man-up only down 2 with a minute left against this very same UNC team (while scoring more goals against them than Duke did). They may not be at Duke/UNC's level right now, but they are better than anything the Big Ten has to offer outside of UMD.

I think we may have found Wheels' burner account :lol: .
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

10stone5 wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:36 am 13 straight wins now for Duke,
2 games against Notre Dame and 1 against UVA,
definite winnable games before they finish up
with UNC again.
Those are “ALL” also definitely losable games......Duke will be favored, but it will be tough for them to make it through the ACC Schedule undefeated. There is so much talent. A hot goalie or some mistakes could change outcomes. The same goes for every ACC team.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

rolldodge wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:38 pm
molo wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:42 pm 28 covered Sowers, Bowen on O’Neall. Robertson, shorted most of the game, put up seven points.
I would have shorted O’Neill.

Better have a shortie who’s 6’4” and 240 lbs.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Mr3Putt wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:36 am
bananas wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:06 pm Bernhardt's tewarrton status advanced tonight.

Adler was big for Duke tonight.
Bernhardt is a heck of a player, and your probably right. However, his next few games are vs : ham & cheese, grilled cheese, and tuna salad . Duke & UNC coming up have : tenderloin, crab cakes and shrimp salad.
UNC and Duke's schedule prior to ACC play wasn't exactly a murderer's row. If Maryland's schedule is a bunch of ham & cheese sandwiches, then at least a few of the teams UNC and Duke have been playing are that single slice of unmelted cheese slapped onto a piece of bread that they were serving as lunch at the Fyre Festival.

https://www.businessinsider.com/fyre-fe ... els-2017-4

Unless one of the three clearly separates himself from the rest by season's end, I suspect the award will go to whoever's team goes furthest in the tournament.
Oak St

Post by Oak St »

Krieg and Macri played great. Defensive plan worked as we held sowers, oneill and Montgomery to a total of 3 goals and 1 assist. Unfortunately, Robinson took advantage of the shortie and had 4/3

Duke goalie played great but Carolinas shoot selection was bad. About 1/2 those saves were right in Adlers chest or stick.

I believe offense went over 15 minutes without a goal and at one point 16 shots without a goal. That can’t happen.

Better shot selection and Adler not being hot, Heels win rematch by 2-3.

Very happy about the defense as this was my biggest question mark heading into the season. Understein has these boys ballin.

Both final four teams

Go Heels !
bananas

Post by bananas »

Did Sowers play last nite ? Second Duke game in a row wondering if they were the better team . Won again at end and that is what counts. Robertson, Adler and Naso all shined, none played for Duke in 2020.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

bananas wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:38 pm Did Sowers play last nite ? Second Duke game in a row wondering if they were the better team . Won again at end and that is what counts. Robertson, Adler and Naso all shined, none played for Duke in 2020.
everybody says it's duke, unc and umd.
so yes, they're the better team no matter who they play. same with unc and umd.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Oak St wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:36 pm Krieg and Macri played great. Defensive plan worked as we held sowers, oneill and Montgomery to a total of 3 goals and 1 assist. Unfortunately, Robinson took advantage of the shortie and had 4/3
This is why the Heels are probably pissed off all day today and RIP to their next opponent (Virginia). You hold those 3 players to that total and you all but pencil in a W. Macri's on-ball defense against Sowers was so good. UNC's entire defensive game plan and execution was phenomenal. They probably thought heading into the game "we hold Duke to 11 in regulation and we're winning by 6 or 7 goals." Credit to Adler for his work in the goal. Some of those saves were routine, but some were definitely not routine.

UNC has given everyone else the blueprint for containing Duke's offense. Duke will adjust, but bottle up Sowers, O'Neill, and Montgomery to make someone else beat you. Just gotta have better 6v6 offense at the other end.
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

Wheels wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:42 pm
Oak St wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:36 pm Krieg and Macri played great. Defensive plan worked as we held sowers, oneill and Montgomery to a total of 3 goals and 1 assist. Unfortunately, Robinson took advantage of the shortie and had 4/3
This is why the Heels are probably ticked off all day today and RIP to their next opponent (Virginia).
Wow, you really don't even try to disguise how much you don't like Virginia. Interesting as that rivalry has generally cooled with the conference charge.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

personally, i thought the game was really just mirror images of what was effective for both. not in style, but didn't really see an advantage gained anywhere other than early clearing foibles from duke on unc's ride.

not a major face advantage. maybe even advantage unc with tucci's 1 and 1.
no goalie advantage, both played very well and had some poor shots thrown at them.
both d played well and in particular bottled up both top guys. (some self-inflicted by sowers. he didn't seem to want the ball enough).
sloppy play from both. some of that was sticks of course, but the field seemed to have a lot to do with that. advantage d for the most part as the offense couldn't even put a foot in the ground at top speed much. also though, it made shooting and even passing something that was thrown off kilter nit being able to have your feet underneath you when moving.

i'd expect more offense from each under better conditions. shorting robertson will probably be revisited.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

blue angels wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:06 pm
Wheels wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:42 pm
This is why the Heels are probably ticked off all day today and RIP to their next opponent (Virginia).
Wow, you really don't even try to disguise how much you don't like Virginia. Interesting as that rivalry has generally cooled with the conference charge.
meh. maybe it'll be umd, unc and duke in the ff, because it has to be.
the hoos have a ceiling to either improve to, or not. issues to clean up. if i was playing, i certainly wouldn't be concerned with unc or duke first, but in the mirror. they figure out the guys in the mirror, results will come.

can't wait to get to a really perturbed unc. spiders first.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

blue angels wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:06 pm
I liked UVA a lot more with Ryan Conrad. I've seen them play a bunch this year, and I don't like their offense as it operates right now. Not enough ball movement to set up easy shots. A lot of really great pieces that stand around a lot as teammates iso. I love their ride.

I still like UNC in the ACC. I've been disappointed by Cuse, as I thought they were the best team in the country last year and brought back everyone. I think Duke is over-hyped. I don't think ND has enough people to win match-ups and will really struggle all season against the other 4 ACC teams, who all have more athletes all over the field. So I think UVA will finish 4th in the conference. Would it really be surprising if UVA lost its last 3 ACC games (UNC, Duke, Cuse)? I think they'll beat UR but won't be surprised at all if that's a really close game. Don't think I'm exactly spitting super hot takes here.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

and yet uva is behind only... <checks notes>... the irish in percentage assisted goals. 3-4% above share-the-ball org's cuse, duke and unc.

saw an awful lot of iso last night on a track that begged for cuts and ball movement.... hmmm.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Kikin wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:03 am UNC and Duke are playing a bunch of "name brand teams" for sure but I am not sure the record of these teams looks all that impressive. UNC has Virginia, who lost by alot to Syracuse and barely beat High Point and Robert Morris. Duke is facing Notre Dame, who has not played a very challenging schedule and has a one point loss to Virginia, Virginia who noted above. So meh, I would not see any of those teams as a "powerhouse" this season. I think maybe everyone is overlooking Rutgers, I think they could go toe to toe with all of these teams.
Could OSU/PSU/Hop/Mich do much vs. the rest of the ACC? The only possibilty would be OSU and I doubt that with their goaltending this year along with limited offensive depth. The point is after #2, the delta is meaningful this year between the two conferences. Not to mention everyone who wants to discount Denver (UNC/Duke wins) and Army (UVA win). If we call Syracuse #3 and UVA #4 then pit Cuse/OSU and UVA/Hop and what's the record out of ten games in this season? 8-2 or 7-3 I would guess (if not wider disparity)
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

wgdsr wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:04 pm and yet uva is behind only... <checks notes>... the irish in percentage assisted goals. 3-4% above share-the-ball org's cuse, duke and unc.

saw an awful lot of iso last night on a track that begged for cuts and ball movement.... hmmm.
I know...I'm the ONLY person who thinks that UVA doesn't move the ball enough. Their offense is a model of ball movement. I stand correct and am ashamed for my insolence.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”