Re: UNC at Duke

Post by Matnum PI »

I see dead legs...
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

unbelievably bad timeout. you do not do that in front of the crease.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

OT. :)
Caddy Day
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Duke has had an advantage at the face-off. Gonna be big here.
DU-fan

Post by DU-fan »

Great game! I can't wait for the re-match.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Excellent
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
DMac

Post by DMac »

wgdsr wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:03 pm unbelievably bad timeout. you do not do that in front of the crease.
+ 762,000.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

10stone5 wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:10 pm
backerzone wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:04 pm
Comeonman wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:10 pm I agree that Adler is the better goalie. He’s elite, already an AA. Kreig is good and will get his eventually, but I don’t see him going over 50% in this game. Adler probably won’t either. In terms of D, Bowen is indeed excellent, but no one can check Sowers. He’ll have at least 5 points. So will Gray for that matter, whether JT covers him or not. UNC has the best first midfield in the country. Yes, Carc and Anish, even better than Cuse’s. But Duke is deeper there, where they can run three lines easily. It could come down to possession. I like the two headed UNC unit, while the Duke frosh is great. Barnburner regardless.
Disagree- in Adlers career at St Joes he only played 4 games against IVY- B1G, none against ACC. he was under 50%. He made the saves that counted against Syracuse but was pretty ordinary early in the game. AA means nothing against inferior competition. Krieg is going to be a 4 year ACC starter- already showing his stuff.
Having a limited exposure against Ivy B1G ACC doesn’t
mean Adler didn’t do well against some real good teams,
he’s had some great games against top teams,
one of his best was against Penn last year.
St. Joe’s doesn’t exactly get a regular dose of
B1G Ivies ACC.
I’ll say it again, not picking on this guy but it is a common
enough sentiment seeing as how Adler came from the
NEC.
But this is what I’ve seen Adler do.
This is why they brought Adler in,
Goalies
# Player S GA SF S%
0 Mike Adler 17 11 28 61%
Krieg had a good game also.
Totally wrong here, I thought both goalies would be
shredded.
molo

Post by molo »

28 covered Sowers, Bowen on O’Neall. Robertson, shorted most of the game, put up seven points.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

molo wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:42 pm 28 covered Sowers, Bowen on O’Neall. Robertson, shorted most of the game, put up seven points.
Sowers had 1, O'Neill had 2...
Caddy Day
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

UNC's strategy on defense worked. That's just about Sowers' least productive game in his career. O'Neill was held in check as well. Carolina should have been able to win this game holding Duke to 11 in regulation. Had the chances, couldn't convert. Lost a bit of composure late. Losing all those faceoffs caught up with them, as did not cashing in on opportunities in the first half, albeit Adler had a lot to do with that.
bananas

Post by bananas »

Bernhardt's tewarrton status advanced tonight.

Adler was big for Duke tonight.
calourie

Post by calourie »

Matnum PI wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:58 pm I see dead legs...
Yes you did, you movie loving psychic, and it led to no one being able to break down their man in the fourth quarter as well as more end game sloppiness than one might have expected (though the game had a good deal of slop throughout I imagine as a result of the intensity and pace the teams tried to maintain). A fun game to watch nonetheless. I was surprised at the phenomenal job Macri did shutting down Sowers.
Both teams made the other look beatable, but I doubt there are more than 3 or 4 other teams in the country who will be able to do so going forward.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

I mean,
Carolina hasn’t lost a game in two years,
14 & 0.

No way their 1st loss was going to be anything
but a struggle.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

calourie wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:13 pm A fun game to watch nonetheless.
undeniably. I felt like both teams proved they were the top two teams in the nation and announced... Who can hang with us? MD, UVA, SU...? In theory, Lehigh, Navy...? All TBD. But, while watching the game, I couldn't help but think that these are the two leading the peloton and... Who can keep up...
Caddy Day
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

Close game, but not a great one. Didn't think it was all that well played (goalies excepted, both of whom were excellent). Really good defensive game plan from Carolina, though. Sowers had some good looks, but was fairly anonymous overall. Gray was too. Obviously hard fought, but I was hoping for something more compelling (yes, yes, I know it went to OT) and fun. These two teams are clearly evenly matched. Can't wait to see one of them play the UMd in the tourney.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

Matnum PI wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:24 pm
calourie wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:13 pm A fun game to watch nonetheless.
undeniably. I felt like both teams proved they were the top two teams in the nation and announced... Who can hang with us? MD, UVA, SU...? In theory, Lehigh, Navy...? All TBD. But, while watching the game, I couldn't help but think that these are the two leading the peloton and... Who can keep up...
Two obviously good teams, but for an OT game, I found it kinda flat. I kinda think UMd is better than either . . . . but who knows at this point.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

nyjay wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:28 pm Close game, but not a great one. Didn't think it was all that well played (goalies excepted, both of whom were excellent). Really good defensive game plan from Carolina, though. Sowers had some good looks, but was fairly anonymous overall. Gray was too. Obviously hard fought, but I was hoping for something more compelling (yes, yes, I know it went to OT) and fun. These two teams are clearly evenly matched. Can't wait to see one of them play the UMd in the tourney.
It was very well played. It just was a defensive battle. Gotta give credit where credit is due.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

molo wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:42 pm 28 covered Sowers, Bowen on O’Neall. Robertson, shorted most of the game, put up seven points.
I would have shorted O’Neill.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

rolldodge wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:35 pm
nyjay wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:28 pm Close game, but not a great one. Didn't think it was all that well played (goalies excepted, both of whom were excellent). Really good defensive game plan from Carolina, though. Sowers had some good looks, but was fairly anonymous overall. Gray was too. Obviously hard fought, but I was hoping for something more compelling (yes, yes, I know it went to OT) and fun. These two teams are clearly evenly matched. Can't wait to see one of them play the UMd in the tourney.
It was very well played. It just was a defensive battle. Gotta give credit where credit is due.
It certainly was well-played defensively, but (again goalies aside) there weren't a ton of spectacular defensive plays (CTs, etc). It's fair to say that neither D made very many mistakes and played really good defensive team lacrosse with very good defensive game plans. That said, I really don't think either offense played all that well. And the long dry spell from UNC sapped a lot of energy and excitement from the game.

Maybe I'm being picky and am unable to fully appreciate a defensive battle (did you just see that perfect second slide? awesome), but I was really excited to watch this game and, the closeness of the game notwithstanding, the game just felt pretty flat.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”