Who is supporting the immigrant caravan?

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
old salt

Re: Who is supporting the immigrant caravan?

Post by old salt »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/immigrat ... story.html

‘Kids in cages’: House hearing examines immigration detention as Democrats push for more information
July 10, 2019

The afternoon hearing before the House Oversight and Government Reform Subcommittee on Civil Rights and Civil Liberties — “Kids in Cages: Inhumane Treatment at the Border” — reflected the incendiary tensions between Democrats and the White House over the influx of families and unaccompanied minors at the border. Among the witnesses were lawyers and advocates who described squalid, cramped conditions at U.S. border facilities. Their reports have stoked outrage among those who believe the Trump administration’s immigration policies have led to children lingering in holding cells that weren’t designed for long-term detention, in the care of border authorities who are ill-equipped to care for minors.

Hundreds of minors held at U.S. border facilities are there beyond legal time limits

Rep. Jamie B. Raskin (D-Md.), the subcommittee’s chairman, said the detention conditions violate federal and international laws.
“There is no excuse for our government being so unprepared and indifferent to refugee flows that have been steadily mounting for months,” Raskin said. “We would not accept these conditions for refugees anywhere else in the world.”

Several children have died after being taken into federal custody at the border in the past year. Some arrived with preexisting medical conditions, but government watchdogs have recently slammed the Department of Homeland Security for dangerous overcrowding and unsanitary conditions in Border Patrol holding cells. The recent passage of a $4.6 billion border bill in part aims to improve conditions by providing additional money for food and medical care.

Wednesday’s hearing addressed the spectrum of holding facilities for children, which vary widely.
Border Patrol facilities are typically migrants’ first stop in federal custody and usually are air-conditioned, bare-bones cells that are not supposed to hold anyone for more than 72 hours.

ICE, another Homeland Security agency, has family detention facilities on sprawling, rural compounds. Those have showers, beds, cafeterias, infirmaries and immigration courts, or the ability to provide remote access to immigration courts for deportation hearings. The maximum capacity is about 3,000 beds, though under current rules, officials cannot detain children in such facilities for more than 20 days because they are not state-licensed facilities.

U.S. authorities said Wednesday that ICE had 244 family members in custody, mostly in Dilley, Tex., which has space for 10 times that many detainees. The vacancies worry advocates for immigrants who fear the Trump administration plans to fill the beds during planned mass arrests of migrant families. Approximately 1,000 detention beds had been set aside at Dilley for new detainees, a DHS official said last month.

The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services oversees separate shelters exclusively for unaccompanied minors, who must be released to a parent or another vetted sponsor, meaning some stay for weeks or months. Such shelters are not meant to be akin to jails and have typically included educational and recreational opportunities to the children they hold. HHS recently cut off some of those services citing budgetary challenges; the additional government funding for border security and migrant care restarted the programs.

Vitiello, a 30-year veteran of the Border Patrol before he led ICE, said he supports changing U.S. law to allow the government to detain families longer and to more quickly return unaccompanied minors to their native countries in Central America — moves he sees as removing incentives to cross the border illegally in the first place.
Otherwise, he said, “next spring we’re going to be in exactly the same place that we are now if the law does not change.”
He said expanding family detention under the Obama administration reduced border crossings.
“I get it, people don’t want to do immigration detention,” Vitiello said, noting that it was an effective deterrent. “The traffic dried up. People stopped coming to the border with their children.”

The crush at the border eased in June, with monthly border apprehensions falling 28 percent amid heightened enforcement in Mexico. But apprehensions remain far higher than in the previous two years. The White House is urging Congress to expand its legal authority to detain and deport families and unaccompanied minors, largely as a deterrent to unfettered migration. Most families that have been taken into custody have been released into the United States to await immigration hearings because of legal limits on how long the government can detain children.

Trump also is pressuring Mexico to host more asylum-seeking families until their court dates and is planning raids aimed at arresting families with final deportation orders in Houston, Los Angeles and other cities “fairly soon.”
old salt

Post by old salt »

https://www.axios.com/biden-homestead-s ... d37b3.html
Mar 16, 2021

Biden opposes reopening controversial child migrant shelter

President Biden opposes reopening a controversial child migrant shelter in Florida that's been run by a for-profit company, telling the federal agency overwhelmed with caring for migrant minors to find other options, people familiar with the matter tell Axios.

Why it matters: The president's personal intervention underscores the growing humanitarian crisis at the border, the facility's scandal-plagued past and Biden's own sensitivities around child detention practices.

Between the lines: The temporary shelter in Homestead, Florida, is one of the largest overflow facilities — and a political lightning rod.

It was used during surges at the border in both the Obama and Trump administrations; there had been multiple allegations of abuse by the facility's staff and human rights violations.

The government has kept the shelter operationally ready to open quickly if needed in an emergency situation.

Despite reported discussions about opening and the overwhelming numbers of migrant kids, the Department of Health and Human Services under the Biden administration has yet to reopen it.

Advocates have pushed back against reports of HHS moving to use the shelter again. Biden seems to be listening.
The Biden administration "remains deeply engaged on the influx of unaccompanied minors at the border and we’re working around the clock to continue to find ways to more quickly process individuals and unite children with vetted and confirmed family members or sponsors," a White House spokesperson told Axios.

The big picture: HHS has been opening other overflow shelters and recently shifted COVID-19 protocols to allow more space for kids in existing shelters. The agency is still struggling to keep up with large numbers of migrant kids and teens.

It opened an overflow shelter in Carrizo Springs, Texas. It plans to use a convention center in Dallas, the AP reported on Monday. It's also eyeing a military base in Virginia, as Reuters first reported.
As of Sunday, 4,200 minors were being held in Border Patrol facilities never intended for long-term care of children, CBS News reported and Axios has confirmed. They were awaiting placement in HHS' shelters, and 3,000 had been held for more than three days in CBP's facilities.
"We are looking for additional facilities and that remains a focus," White House press secretary Jen Psaki said during Monday's press briefing.
Democrats rip John Kelly's link to Homestead migrant shelter
a fan

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:45 pm ...& this is what I've been saying & am sick of it :
“The asylum system isn’t the right path for most people, but it’s the only path,” a career government official who has served in the past three administrations recently told me. ...continuing to funnel hundreds of thousands of people a year through a broken, backlogged system does not appear to be working. The asylum process creates an incentive for people to exaggerate their stories, which harms the credibility of others’, and has resulted in people who needed protection being sent home to their death. The plodding asylum system, and the failure to acknowledge that its recipients are also part of the American economy, is the primary reason facilities along the border are full today, and will continue to get overloaded every time migration has one of its cyclical increases.
And a reasonable opinion.

Steak dinner says that Congress doesn't fix either problem in the next two years.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

youthathletics wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:50 pm
Cruz being his usual jackass self. :roll:
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
old salt

Post by old salt »

a fan wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:34 pm
old salt wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:45 pm ...& this is what I've been saying & am sick of it :
“The asylum system isn’t the right path for most people, but it’s the only path,” a career government official who has served in the past three administrations recently told me. ...continuing to funnel hundreds of thousands of people a year through a broken, backlogged system does not appear to be working. The asylum process creates an incentive for people to exaggerate their stories, which harms the credibility of others’, and has resulted in people who needed protection being sent home to their death. The plodding asylum system, and the failure to acknowledge that its recipients are also part of the American economy, is the primary reason facilities along the border are full today, and will continue to get overloaded every time migration has one of its cyclical increases.
And a reasonable opinion.

Steak dinner says that Congress doesn't fix either problem in the next two years.
I wouldn't bet a Whopper combo on that.

We need temp work visas for economic migrants (+ spouse & children), with no guarantee of citizenship -- get in line for that.
Every year working in US, with no criminal record, gains points toward eventual citizenship.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

jhu72 wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:05 pm

Democrats like JHU72 think ‘dignity and respect’ is wrapping kids like sausages and stacking them 500 to a room
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Yea...shoot the messenger when you see all the kids wrapped up like Ho-Ho's. :roll:

My solution....
I think we ought to shut the southern border nice and tight, open up a a couple ports in the gulf of Mexico and Gulf of California, they sign up, and then we ship them to Californian, New York, and New England. While on the cruise ship, they can be properly documented to their destination, immunized, quarantined, provided food and shelter, and assigned. This would then show a clear humanitarian exercise, where they are safe, and show the front door with grace and respect.....and in the end, it would likely be a better ROI. And instead of bailing out the cruise lines.....we keep them all employed and ships moving.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

youthathletics wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:24 pm
Yea...shoot the messenger when you see all the kids wrapped up like Ho-Ho's. :roll:

Is that what those are? Look more like invasion of the body snatcher pods.

My solution....
I think we ought to shut the southern border nice and tight, open up a a couple ports in the gulf of Mexico and Gulf of California, they sign up, and then we ship them to Californian, New York, and New England. While on the cruise ship, they can be properly documented to their destination, immunized, quarantined, provided food and shelter, and assigned. This would then show a clear humanitarian exercise, where they are safe, and show the front door with grace and respect.....and in the end, it would likely be a better ROI. And instead of bailing out the cruise lines.....we keep them all employed and ships moving.
Not a bad idea.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

a fan wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:01 pm
runrussellrun wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:51 pm AFAN,

I very much want to discuss immigration. That is why I posted links to the J1 visa issue.

I asked, why you posted about one specific hotel, and how that is relevant to IMMIGRATION........
You're confused as to why I posted about that Hotel. You have the context wrong.

That comment was about an author lying about a claim that he spoke with an unnamed CEO of a Hotel Chain, who allegedly told him that he couldn't get housekeepers without paying them $20 an hour.

I gave the Little Nell example to demonstrate that this journalist was clearly lying, and that there isn't a Hotel Chain in America that pays that much for starting Housekeepers, including the Little Nell.

That's it.
Yup...thanks

I got an answer from my friends, that own a "chain" of hotels. They start their summer staff at $25 an hour. (100's of boutique hotel "chains" in the USA )

perhaps, your observation and life experiences can go, beyond your own? Or, who you sell you booze too ;) one, can infer, that when you write , "NO chain".....that means, no hotel chain, does what you claim? or, are you going to net move, and "prove" your riteness, by arguing that you did not such thing? look....pete brown, is in town.....go pounce and beat up, with all the others..... being so definitive, especially when it comes to things that are laughably untrue, and easily proven so, does not become you, oh my brother.

No comment on Little Nell charging $800 a nite, currently, much more at more popular tymes, and hiring so many no FICA owed, employees?

your engagement with peter brown seems producutive and not the behavior of one seeking , ummm....what do you accuse others of.....a fight ;) :roll:
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Name of chain?
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:52 am Name of chain?
Are you asking me, or afan?
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

runrussellrun wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:36 am
You...a fan didn't write this or anything close..."I got an answer from my friends, that own a "chain" of hotels. They start their summer staff at $25 an hour. (100's of boutique hotel "chains" in the USA )"

What's the name of this chain?
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:04 am
You...a fan didn't write this or anything close..."I got an answer from my friends, that own a "chain" of hotels. They start their summer staff at $25 an hour. (100's of boutique hotel "chains" in the USA )"

Rihga Royal?
“I wish you would!”
a fan

Post by a fan »

runrussellrun wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:48 am perhaps, your observation and life experiences can go, beyond your own? Or, who you sell you booze too ;) one, can infer, that when you write , "NO chain".....that means, no hotel chain, does what you claim? or, are you going to net move, and "prove" your riteness, by arguing that you did not such thing?
You're looking for a fight again. You didn't bother to read the post where we cited the obvious sources for wages....GlassDoor and the like. The average nationwide wage for a housekeeper is a little under $11/hr.

runrussellrun wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:48 am look....pete brown, is in town.....go pounce and beat up, with all the others[/i]..... being so definitive, especially when it comes to things that are laughably untrue, and easily proven so, does not become you, oh my brother.
Easily proven? Great. Give me a citation to your claim.
runrussellrun wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:48 am your engagement with peter brown seems producutive and not the behavior of one seeking , ummm....what do you accuse others of.....a fight ;) :roll:
Pete is different, and you know it. Pete is trolling, and everyone knows he's trolling.

You are claiming that you want to have a conversation.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:04 am

Sure he did.......he claimed to have knowledge and clearly wrote that ALL hotel chains pay a certain wage. The $16 an hour, for the Aspen Hotel "chain".

of course, now, we can waste time getting into discussions about what constitutes what a "chain" is.....when, on the IMMIGRATION thread, the issue of this particular hotel "chain" .

or, he was talking about ONLY 5 stars

or, or, or, net moving.......

By AFAN's definition......per him using the Little Nell as an example, as a hotel "chain"..... with its 9 properties

https://www.thelittlenell.com/hotel/development

Do you know how many hotel "chains" there are in the USA ? Especially "boutique" ones, with a handful of "hotels".

sounds like you are not understanding the horrible J1 visa program.

Hourly wages.......and that specific topic.....perhaps belongs on another thread ?

Why in the world would I share personnel information, to a "limited " person like you? You "know " people.........guess you don't know any "private" hotel owners of chains.

You still in Florida? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: "limited" observation skills.

this is a good example of what you don't know about everything......impossible, fer sure.....but, doesn't stop you from being a cad.

https://www.21cmuseumhotels.com/
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

a fan wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:33 am
runrussellrun wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:48 am perhaps, your observation and life experiences can go, beyond your own? Or, who you sell you booze too ;) one, can infer, that when you write , "NO chain".....that means, no hotel chain, does what you claim? or, are you going to net move, and "prove" your riteness, by arguing that you did not such thing?
You're looking for a fight again. You didn't bother to read the post where we cited the obvious sources for wages....GlassDoor and the like. The average nationwide wage for a housekeeper is a little under $11/hr.
Net moving, why are we shocked..........this is about J1 visas.......not wages.
runrussellrun wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:48 am look....pete brown, is in town.....go pounce and beat up, with all the others[/i]..... being so definitive, especially when it comes to things that are laughably untrue, and easily proven so, does not become you, oh my brother.
Easily proven? Great. Give me a citation to your claim.

Which claim? The $25 an hour claim? I could pm you their phone number if you would like. BUT......the original claim is YOURS.

runrussellrun wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:48 am your engagement with peter brown seems producutive and not the behavior of one seeking , ummm....what do you accuse others of.....a fight ;) :roll:
Pete is different, and you know it. Pete is trolling, and everyone knows he's trolling.

You are claiming that you want to have a conversation.

yet, you engage with trolling Pete, all day, everyday.

You claimed NO ONE.......time to move back to the J1 visa issue. Wages belongs on another thread. Which, donjT shut down expires today. Plantation owners rejoice.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

a fan wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:18 am
old salt wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:26 am The answer is what I saw at that dinner: It's about money. Nearly every major business and financial leader in this country is a supporter of the Democratic Party.
This is just about the only part of the story that is true. Yes, the Dem party doesn't want to fix immigration.

But as we learned, neither do the Republicans, or Trump himself.

The rest of Vance's claims? Flat out fabrications to make Trump look awesome to readers. A big lie.
There isn't a hotel chain in the country that can't fill their housekeeping needs for $18 an hour.

But there isn't a chain that pays anywhere near $20 an hour across the country.
Not even the Four Seasons pays that much for new housekeepers.

".....but there isn't a chain that pays anywhere near $20 an hour..."

You provided an "example" of a hotel chain as having only 9 hotels.........

This is about ASPEN, CO, which you introduced into the immigration thread............and a specific 5 star hotel, (still haven't answered if you sell booze to them ;)

and I, merely, point out that:

1. Little Nell hotel group is small

2. Ties to Ski mtn and the J1/H1/H2 slave wages is gross

3. J1 visa's expire today

but, you can keep on talking about ONE specific person, over and over and over....yes, we know DonjT is involved in slave labor at his hotels.

Plantation owners.....I mean, slave owners.........often get all teared up, when talking about "families" and "generations" that have "worked" picking crops for the masters.
a fan

Post by a fan »

runrussellrun wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:59 am but, you can keep on talking about ONE specific person, over and over and over....yes, we know DonjT is involved in slave labor at his hotels.
Dude. You're all over the place. All I know is that no matter what, you want to tell me that i'm wrong, and I'm moving nets.

Go right ahead....
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

a fan wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:05 pm
runrussellrun wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:59 am but, you can keep on talking about ONE specific person, over and over and over....yes, we know DonjT is involved in slave labor at his hotels.
Dude. You're all over the place. All I know is that no matter what, you want to tell me that i'm wrong, and I'm moving nets.

Go right ahead....
peter, and other "known" trolls are online know, you can fight with them............

ALL over the place.

I would like to discuss the J1 visa situation, which IS very specific, regarding why immigrants are coming to this country. H1/H2 visas as well.

worker exploitation, etc.

You just want to spit in lil r's faces.......beat up known trolls, like the pack of seagulls you posters are. sad.

What part of " topic is J1 visa's, and the ban of using them expires today" is all over the place?

And, we all also noticed, that you completely ignored the hotel chain, net moving , nonsense, on your part.

Return to “POLITICS”