Johns Hopkins 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
jhu06

Re: Johns Hopkins 2021

Post by jhu06 »

-From 51s analysis it sounds like Milliman is going to have to work very very hard over the next couple of months to unearth pat fraser and tucker durkin situations if we're going to see any difference over the next few years. after 2 disrupted seasons and years of their lives I would have to think there are a ton of talented young kids whose biggest priority right now is just to play lacrosse and get a chance to step onto a field. Hopefully that and the scholarship $ freed up by decommitts and graduations of guys like williams etc can expedite the rebuild.
-I think it's pretty clear by now even to my friend hf16 that the ivy league student athletes were denied the chance to play for reasons unrelated to science, health or their fellow students well being which has to be a big incentive for them to want to move on and opportunity for us.
-It's not poaching when a staff that recruits a kid is fired and he decides to find a different home.
-Don't know what the universities current restrictions are on travel for staff, but once the season ends the week of the b1g tournament hopefully milliman and co are able to get on the road and use the time to see kids and build relationships.
-whats frustrating about this offense was that the game was there for them in the first halfs against rutgers, maryland and penn state and they could not cash in and take advantage. epstein, deso, and williams are supposed to be alpha male big dogs and each game we get one very good and 2 meh performances from the group. That's not enough when the 2 midfield lines aren't producing much either.
-Hopkins grad andy enfield coaches tonight to try to make the ff. Other than jim valvano I can't think of a blue jay tie who has had any kind of related success in college hoops.
-Jack Lyne has quietly had a good year because I never notice him.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

hopkins has played 6 games. when's the last time their top 4 middies scored 120-127 points over a 16-17 game season?
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

All good points '16. Especially if the fall and "spring" practice is uninterrupted.
'22 is going to be another potentially topsy turvy year - it's ALL speculation at this point but there are so many unanswered questions:
- Will any "senior" match up with the coaching staff and exercise a final year of eligibility at Hopkins - you are probably down to 3 - Reinson/DeSimone/Delaney
- Will any non senior hit the portal that you actually want to stay?
- Will anybody come in to the mix from the portal that matters? Always possible BUT as far as the Ivies - the kids that have not already moved on likely dropped out to go back - and one would hope the Ivies are back in '22
- They appear to like McDermott - he is clearly getting more playing time inch by inch - he is another player out of position however. One time I noticed him try a forward dodge against Penn State and #29 just pushed him off his line with ease. It's hard for a player who has played alot behind the goal and with his defender on his back to suddenly face someone head on who is just as quick as you. But the other names - except for Grimes - will be starting from scratch it would appear. They may be good players but a) the COVID scenario has hurt their development - or else they are injured and b) they are not Milliman recruits
- The goalie situation is unfortunately a brighter burning dumpster fire and I didn't think that could be possible. Why couldn't Marcille be 6'1" instead of 5'6"? It may be unrealistic to think Sgt. Friday has "just the fact's m'am" in '22. (A trivia answer I think I have already pointed out but Jack Webb never said that line)
- I am sure the one-time Cornell recruits are good players but they are clearly attackmen IMO - If you want Grimes to take the left handed spot then that potentially leaves one spot - if DeSo leaves. That probably goes to McDermott I would speculate
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

jhu06 wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:24 am It's not poaching when a staff that recruits a kid is fired and he decides to find a different home.
-Don't know what the universities current restrictions are on travel for staff, but once the season ends the week of the b1g tournament hopefully milliman and co are able to get on the road and use the time to see kids and build relationships.
-whats frustrating about this offense was that the game was there for them in the first halfs against rutgers, maryland and penn state and they could not cash in and take advantage. epstein, deso, and williams are supposed to be alpha male big dogs and each game we get one very good and 2 meh performances from the group. That's not enough when the 2 midfield lines aren't producing much either.
More delusion - poaching - before a kid signs a NLI - is allowable under virtually any circumstance - and I admit I do not know any of the circumstances but there are clearly identified coaches who by their own admission will still contact kids after they have verballed to a school. Some of the '21 class switched out from Hopkins before Petro was released and some after. If the athlete decides at any time to contact another school - that is clearly not poaching - if another program sees blood in the water and initiates the contact that is still poaching

the game was there for them in the first halfs against rutgers, maryland and penn state and they could not cash in and take advantage.

You act like it was up to Hopkins and all they had to do was decide to take advantage. Maryland is BETTTER - MUCH BETTER. They have BETTER lacrosse players and a superstar in Bernhart. What mysterious force of the universe did you think occurred to ruin your day against Rutgers? Did Matt Narewski simply decide to lose a couple face-offs and did Reinson decide to not catch a catchable pass? Noooooooo - Rutger smade some great plays to get their running game going. Hopkins had a real chance to win the Penn State game - guess what? Penn State's goalie, face-off man and long range shooter are BETTER
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

This will be no consolation to 06 who demands immediate and unqualified success no matter the extenuating circumstances but it is at least encouraging to ME that we appear—to the eye, and to the box score—to be a lot more competitive with good teams this year than last.

In 2020 we had the doors completely blown off against Carolina, Princeton, and Syracuse. Those games were essentially over at halftime. But this year, with the exception of the OSU debacle coming off a 10-day pause in practice (not only that, but a literal quarantine of players in their homes), the Jays have been "in" every game—tied with Maryland at the half (no one other than Rutgers has come *close* to playing Maryland as well for an entire half), beating Rutgers at the half/tied going into the 4th quarter, and obviously last weekend @ PSU was a back and forth game that was tied in the fourth quarter but we couldn't buy a faceoff.

Yes ideally you'd like to see them finish these games off and play the full 60 but this is inarguably progress from a year ago, and it's not a stretch to think that in a year or two they will be at a place where they are playing the full 60 and putting these kinds of games more consistently in the W column.

As far as the poaching goes I'm not privy to the exact conversations but I did hear once the coaching change was made that the '21 class was essentially told they were more than free to look at their other options and I'm sure the Tambronis and the Shays were already circling anyway. We were lucky to keep Todaro, who's going to be a force in college.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

W.

I have known Dom off and on for about 20 years. Last time I saw him was a number of years ago at Dixon’s wedding. I have no problem with Dom.

There were two

Classless was the effort of some to try to minimize what occurred and clamp down on details. I avoided details. Fact of the matter is some parents became wary of sending their kids until there were changes. Lars made changes to the culture. The Sabre had posts about it

Lars didn’t have to do heavy lifting to restore the program. Either did Dano. Nor did Tillman who took a very strong program and lifted it further 10 years after the Big Man had to retire.
CharmCityLaxMan

Post by CharmCityLaxMan »

OCanada wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:52 am W.

I have known Dom off and on for about 20 years. Last time I saw him was a number of years ago at Dixon’s wedding. I have no problem with Dom.

There were two

Classless was the effort of some to try to minimize what occurred and clamp down on details. I avoided details. Fact of the matter is some parents became wary of sending their kids until there were changes. Lars made changes to the culture. The Sabre had posts about it

Lars didn’t have to do heavy lifting to restore the program. Either did Dano. Nor did Tillman who took a very strong program and lifted it further 10 years after the Big Man had to retire.
I do think Tiffany had some heavy lifting to do and deserves credit. He inherited a program that had suffered for years with conduct issues and my sense is that the University decided not to make a move sooner due to the pending lawsuits. On top of that, during those last years there were multiple nepotism issues that people say pulled the program down further. Add in the 8th grade recruiting. It sure seemed that Tiffany had his hands full.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Dudes.....Hopkins is going to make it to the FF........lose to "Cuse by 7, tho

season a success.
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
redfoxalum

Post by redfoxalum »

I wouldn’t discount culture in terms of turning around a program.
Lars himself says in the below article that it took 2 years to change the culture and mindset to what they wanted. And he’s surely deferential to his former coach and predecessor. UVA might not have been needing comebacks to beat The Mount by 1 goal, but they were on a 12 game ACC losing streak. There was a lot of room to improve to get to where they wanted to be on the field as well.

What seems like good news for JHU is that Petro appears to have left behind a group of committed guys, as evidenced by all the key players returning or maintaining their commitments, and Milliman retaining a huge roster. Milliman’s main challenges appear to be on-field and recruiting. The unfortunate reality is the virus has had a prohibitive impact on implementing big changes with the lack of fall ball, preseason practices, non-conference games, etc. It shows nationally with the lack of Freshmen making big contributions to their teams. The Jays’ competitiveness relative to last year and the willingness to experiment with moving DeSimone to attack etc. are encouraging.

https://fredericksburg.com/less-partyin ... f.amp.html
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Speaking of Sgt. Friday, you can watch him and LB take on Gilman today at 4pm on LSN.

I think everyone here except maybe one person understands that the change of culture and personnel is going to take a few years. Over the course of that time you hope to see tangible improvement but it's not going to be "done" for quite awhile.

Jaronski did not play against PSU—hurt? Or just the revolving door at SSDM? Shure was back in, but still looks hobbled to my eye. Martin has acquitted himself well. Any time a freshman SSDM is on the field but you don't really notice him, that's a win in my book. On top of that the kid is a one man clear. (Clearing, thank the lord, has been a lot better since the second half against the Terps.)

They have a long way to go but Koesterer has the D progressing better than I anticipated with largely the same personnel Petro had at his disposal—Szuluk being the one significant addition and Colwell the one absence. Moving Reinson to close D is another one of those decisions that in retrospect makes you wonder what the previous staff was doing sometimes. He looks even more comfortable there than DeSo does at attack.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

There were two

so i've known him for almost twice as long. do i win something?
stand by what i said.
you can do a lot better.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

wgdsr wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:50 pm

There were two

stand by what i said.
you can do a lot better.
To you, a lot better means sweep it under the rug and NEVER talk about it again.

Personally, I think a LOT can be learned from both unfortunate tragedies.

The Love Foundation has done wonders to inform and educate about relationship violence.

The other incident could have been used to also teach about relationships and suicide prevention.

But it hasn’t. Why?

Your position is an obstacle in that regard. So was UVa’s.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:07 pm

There were two

stand by what i said.
you can do a lot better.
To you, a lot better means sweep it under the rug and NEVER talk about it again.

The Love Foundation has done wonders to inform and educate about relationship violence.

The other incident could have been used to also teach about relationships and suicide prevention.

But it hasn’t. Why?

so here's tweedledum. i like you wombat. but you're all about it again. why don't you start? make sure you back it up with some facts and not innuendo and speculation.
redfoxalum

Post by redfoxalum »

There were two

stand by what i said.
you can do a lot better.

But it hasn’t. Why?

It has.

https://virginiasports.com/news/2018/10 ... announced/
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

redfoxalum wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:36 pm

There were two

stand by what i said.
you can do a lot better.

But it hasn’t. Why?

It has.

https://virginiasports.com/news/2018/10 ... announced/
That’s great to hear. Thanks!
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:17 am
wgdsr wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:03 am you guys can't talk about your suckitude without continuing to drop trash on someone else's lawn, can you? like clockwork.
Lol, cry me a river. It's relevant in the context of a discussion about a new staff taking over a program with a rich tradition—and what differences there may or may not be facing Milliman and co. compared to other recent situations. No one is forcing you to pay attention to this.
pure comedy.

Like Madonna being in the rockNroll hall of fame, but Kate Bush is not.

....comedy gold...
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

-reading these comments it's hard to know to expect us to be worse next year because we potentially graduate veterans or better because existing players will have more coaching
-some college basketball coaches rebuild focusing on transfers-iowa state and cincinati used to do this a lot. Are we better with this approach or just recruiting true freshmen and playing them for 3-4 years.
johnnyonthegunpowder

Post by johnnyonthegunpowder »

They were absolutely humming in the first. They looked like a team that had killer week of practice. Then it was just too much one v one. What gives?
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

johnnyonthegunpowder wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:53 pm They were absolutely humming in the first. They looked like a team that had killer week of practice. Then it was just too much one v one. What gives?
We couldn't win a faceoff. We won 1 total faceoff in the second half. 0 in the fourth quarter. Penn State had 9 more offensive possessions in the game than we did. For reference, when we beat PSU in the first matchup by double the margin, we also had 9 more possessions.

The other thing is our zone offense continues to be lackluster for reasons 51 and others have mentioned—not a whole lot of outside shooting. The pouring rain made it hard to make those zippy skip passes necessary to break down a D that's packing it in.

On top of that, PSU was probably the more desperate team—a loss and they'd have been 1-5 which all but ends their season. Unlike us they don't have the excuse of a new staff and no fall ball/limited practice.

Interestingly we won non-faceoff groundballs 34-20. Usually that means a win. Only more evidence that this game was decided by faceoffs and goaltending IMO. The highlights are on YouTube—there were not very many doorstep dunks on us like there were in the Rutgers game. We let in A LOT of goals from 10+ yards out. Some from O'Keefe, but not all.

There isn't a whole lot separating OSU/PSU/Hop/Mich at this point. Rutgers is a cut above that group, and Maryland is a cut above Rutgers. I would expect Michigan to give us a much better game this time around than the first meeting. Likewise, I think our game @ OSU in a couple weeks will look a bit different from the season opener.
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

jhu06 wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:35 pm -reading these comments it's hard to know to expect us to be worse next year because we potentially graduate veterans or better because existing players will have more coaching
-some college basketball coaches rebuild focusing on transfers-iowa state and cincinati used to do this a lot. Are we better with this approach or just recruiting true freshmen and playing them for 3-4 years.
COVID absolutely boned this team on a number of ways. First, there is the direct impact of losing fall ball and a portion of spring practice to get players more in line with what Millman and his staff want to do on offense and defense.

Second, the team is sort of boned by the NCAA's rule granting eligibility to everyone to play another year. That allows a guy like Williams to play this year and essentially take time away from some else. Now, I am not blaming Millman and I am especially not blaming Williams in this situation. Williams is better player out there and he should play. But, no COVID or no NCAA rule then a younger kid like McDermott is out there more. Certainly means Hopkins takes it lumps more this year but it quickens the rebuilding process.

Third, it creates a much tough way to recruit. While you can certainly look at kids on the summer camp recruiting circuit. A lot of camps and seasons were tossed last year. It means you are flying with blinders at some level.

Enjoy this year for what it is. You could be an alum of an Ivy league team and realize their schools care nothing about student=athletes.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”