Johns Hopkins 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Wheels

Re: Johns Hopkins 2021

Post by Wheels »

PulpExposure wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:15 pm
As a Terps fan, I would absolutely welcome Epstein or Zinn as a transfer to our program.

Assuming that helps your cause out of course.
Can we please will this into existence?
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

-When you win games people learn to spell your name like yzerman.
-Epstein went for 1-10 shooting yesterday. His second goal went off the penn state goalies knee.
-Corona is an excuse for Mabett, for Grimes, for mcdermott, for delaney, for narewski, for means, it's not an excuse for williams and a veteran offense with the exact same record through 6 games as the one they put up the previous year. These veterans are not winners at the college level. Yesterday a struggling Penn State team in the first half handed them possession after possession and they couldn't seize the opportunity. In the second half they could not break through. You can get as personal as you want with me but it doesn't change the facts on the field which are that we need to see what else we have.
-I don't know much about how Milliman built cornell and how Danowski/Tilliman/Lars built their programs when they took over and if they went transfer heavy or not but after yesterday he should be able to say to kids look at our roster, you have a real chance to play for a number of years now. That has to be a compelling message to kids who've just had 2 seasons disrupted.
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

jhu06 wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:43 pm
-Milliman would probably lose the lockerroom if he benched reinson deso and williams, but he has a longterm contract and it's time to use the next 5 games and 15+practicees as a spring 2022 season fallball. G
I really can't tell whether you are suggesting benching those 3 guys, but that would be beyond absurd. If you benched guys who are good players (including your best players on O and D this year) who have stuck with the program through transition and adversity, you wouldn't just "lose the locker room", you would lose any credibility as a lacrosse coach.
Chitown

Post by Chitown »

I just read a comment from a former JHU player: :'We sometimes forget that the Jays are a "purposeful work in progress" and Penn State was finally playing up to expectations'.

But a close competitive game. I think the 0ne minute non-releaseable penalty where PSU scored 2 goals in less than a minute was the back-breaker. :(
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

You’ve always got to play To Win.

Otherwise, you are putting on the wrong jersey or coach swag.

Now, if in the effort To Win, you try new things, that’s perfectly fine.

Some of the best things can be learned while experimenting.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

There wasn’t much to be built when Dano and Tills and Lars took over their current programs.
redfoxalum

Post by redfoxalum »

OCanada wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:33 pm There wasn’t much to be built when Dano and Tills and Lars took over their current programs.
Lars took over a program that was 1-15 in ACC play in the 4 seasons before he took over.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

redfoxalum wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:40 pm
OCanada wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:33 pm There wasn’t much to be built when Dano and Tills and Lars took over their current programs.
Lars took over a program that was 1-15 in ACC play in the 4 seasons before he took over.
Starsia certainly didn't leave the cupboard bare.

Dan, Tills, Lars, and Milliman all recruited their guys and infused the existing rosters with that talent. The only transfer I can recall Tills bringing in during those first few years was Channenchuck.
courtdog

Post by courtdog »

The cupboard isn't bare here whatsoever. These same exact players scored 15-18 goals per game in previous seasons against Big10 opponents. Some people want to hate on the old staff for many reasons. Coaching offense shouldn't be one of those reasons. I have no qualms with the new staff, everyone deserves a fair shake with time to do their own systems but I do think offensively this group should be much better than what they are accomplishing.
nrthcrosslax

Post by nrthcrosslax »

Where is the next great Hopkins goalie?
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Lars took over a program that had off field issues involving deaths and behavioral issues. The program became radioactive. They didn’t lose their recruiting mojo but needed to bring in a new coach and clean up the detritus. Didn’t take long.

Dano took over in 2006. Duke played for the title in 2005 and in Dano’s first year in 2007. 2006 was a lost year for Duke for off field reasons
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

you guys can't talk about your suckitude without continuing to drop trash on someone else's lawn, can you? like clockwork.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

wgdsr wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:03 am you guys can't talk about your suckitude without continuing to drop trash on someone else's lawn, can you? like clockwork.
Lol, cry me a river. It's relevant in the context of a discussion about a new staff taking over a program with a rich tradition—and what differences there may or may not be facing Milliman and co. compared to other recent situations. No one is forcing you to pay attention to this.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:17 am
wgdsr wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:03 am you guys can't talk about your suckitude without continuing to drop trash on someone else's lawn, can you? like clockwork.
Lol, cry me a river. It's relevant in the context of a discussion about a new staff taking over a program with a rich tradition—and what differences there may or may not be facing Milliman and co. compared to other recent situations. No one is forcing you to pay attention to this.
yeah, and no one forces me to throw it back at you in your glass house.
classless.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

wgdsr wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:24 am
classless.
No one is throwing anything at anyone. I disagree with OC on a lot but his post was quite anodyne, factual (perhaps minus the "radioactive" editorialization), and appropriate given the context.

People bring up Hop's skeletons all the time on this forum. Don't act like they don't. If you want a more censored environment, there's always the Sabre!
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:28 am
classless.
No one is throwing anything at anyone. I disagree with OC on a lot but his post was quite anodyne, factual (perhaps minus the "radioactive" editorialization), and appropriate given the context.

People bring up Hop's skeletons all the time on this forum. Don't act like they don't. If you want a more censored environment, there's always the Sabre!
deaths plural. what's factual about that that's on the coaches and program?

no... class....

you can stop telling me what to do right about now.

radioctive... lars won with all starsia's guys save several players.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

wgdsr wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:33 am
classless.

no... class....

Not telling anyone to do anything. Made a suggestion. The Sabre doesn't even allow new users to sign up! Wouldn't have to worry about this stuff on there.

"Lars took over a program that had off field issues involving deaths and behavioral issues." That is a true statement. Doesn't seem to me like he's saying the coaches were to blame for everything. But like it or not, accurate or not, there WAS a certain perception of the program Lars had to deal with when he took over. That, too, is a fact. There are pages and pages of it on LaxPower if anyone's got those archived.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:44 am
wgdsr wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:33 am
classless.

no... class....

Not telling anyone to do anything. Made a suggestion. The Sabre doesn't even allow new users to sign up! Wouldn't have to worry about this stuff on there.

"Lars took over a program that had off field issues involving deaths and behavioral issues." That is a true statement. Doesn't seem to me like he's saying the coaches were to blame for everything. But like it or not, accurate or not, there WAS a certain perception of the program Lars had to deal with when he took over. That, too, is a fact. There are pages and pages of it on LaxPower if anyone's got those archived.
yeah, no. there was one death in the program. o canada has a problem with starsia and that's fine. using another tragedy, outside of the program, to make a point is a classless move. and not done by accident.
ironic, the only place i've ever seen that is here.

no. class.
Last edited by wgdsr on Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

courtdog wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:32 am The cupboard isn't bare here whatsoever. These same exact players scored 15-18 goals per game in previous seasons against Big10 opponents. Some people want to hate on the old staff for many reasons. Coaching offense shouldn't be one of those reasons. I have no qualms with the new staff, everyone deserves a fair shake with time to do their own systems but I do think offensively this group should be much better than what they are accomplishing.
This is simply not true - In the 6 games of 2020 - Hopkins scored 65 goals. In 2021 they have scored 62 (and again no fall, limited spring and new coaching staff probably account for the 3 fewer goals) and while you could argue the 2 ACC schools and a Princeton squad with Sowers constituted a hard schedule - the 2020 schedule also included a winless Towson team and MSM. What about 2019 you say? 194 goals in 16 games is almost exactly 12 goals a game with Marr and Smith accounting for 50 of them (Concannon had almost 20 too) AND they let Cole WIlliams shoot over 100 times with a 26% shot percentage. Kyle Marr was not my most favorite Hopkins player of all tme but one thing could be said - he could sling it from the outside - he might miss the Cordish Center (I saw him almost hit the ambulance that parks there) but it was humming at 90+.

As for '06 - he has replaced Doc B as the most delusional poster here - just from another angle. If Milliman had benched or never played any of these starters Hopkins would likely be 0-6 and he would be screaming as to why Milliman doesn't play the more proven players. Once again we interrupt this broadcast to bring you the following:
- Johns Hopkins has no true mid-fielders with experience - no one that can consistently beat their man - except for maybe Zinn and I guess this coaching staff has confirmed he can't hit a bull in the a$$ with a handful of peas
- With the exception of Degnon - Johns Hopkins has no one that can blow one past the goalie on even a semi consistent basis - Epstein has some success - more with location than heat - but even he has struggled recently - half of his shots on goal are saved - while 10 of Degnon's 14 shots on goal have gotten past the goalie.
- Coach Special K has actually done a pretty good job with the defense - when you consider Reinson is the only one that has any true experience with the team. They have held Penn State to 8.5 goals over 2 entire games. They held Maryland to 7 over one half and Rutgers to 8 over 3 quarters - and Michigan to single digits. And that's with a goalie saving under 41%!!!!
- '06 may really need another hobby - photography perhaps? (Wink Wink Say no more Say no more) in '22. I don't see where the offensive help is going to come from. Another unfortunate by-product of the coaching change was the susceptability of the '21 class to poaching. Relatively small class (that's a good thing) but 6 of the 11 are G/FO/D/LSM - We know the 2 attackmen were Cornell commits following Milliman to a degree but not much appears to be known about the 3 with "M" under their position. Teachout from Dallas was a Petro recruit. So the Prime Minister and Jr are going to have to cook in '22 with other folks groceries again.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

06 appears to be banking on a disillusioned Ivy transfer or two coming in—which is possible, but hardly something to count on. I think there are reasons for optimism re: the offense in '22 even without that:

- At an absolute minimum, you already know you're bringing back Epstein and Degnon
- McDermott, Grimes, Peshko, Raposo, Chauvette, Bauer, Evans, etc.—one or two of these guys is going to pop either late this year or next year. That we haven't seen it yet through 6 games of a pandemic season doesn't mean it's not going to happen ever
- Year two of learning a new offense
- I don't know a whole lot about Wong or Charboneau (Wong is a righty crease/wing finisher, Charboneau is a lefty Canadian) but we do know Milliman handpicked them and presumably believes they will be good fits in the system they want to run. Milliman's recruiting track record at Cornell is small but quite impressive—he brought in a lot of very good players, particularly on offense, in a short amount of time
- Getting an actual fall ball and not losing 10 days of practice the week before your season starts
- This is more for '23 and onward but we have yet to even see the impact of Junior as a recruiter...let's at the very least wait until one Mr. Matthew Collison arrives for that, given Jr. had nothing to do with recruiting those guys above to Cornell.

Btw, here's what Collison had to say about picking Hopkins in a recent article:
"With Hopkins being the second most winningest programme of all time, obviously, there's an immediate attraction,” says Collison. “Their attention to detail as well as an obsession with continuing their greatness really played a heavy role in my decision as well. Not to mention the recent acquisition of Coach John Grant Jr., who is a fellow Canadian and considered to be one of the all-time greats of the sport of lacrosse."
https://www.stmichaelscollegeschool.com ... se-in-2022

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”