Big Ten 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Paddy Terp

Re: Big Ten 2021

Post by Paddy Terp »

AreaLax wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:59 am
HopFan16 wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:11 am Big Ten will now allow fans at games this spring, based on local health guidelines. Effective immediately: https://bigten.org/news/2021/3/24/gener ... dance.aspx

Might there be fans (beyond parents) at games this weekend?
Yes!!!!
It says that it is up to the local jurisdictions. Don’t see PG County allowing fans.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Paddy Terp wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:58 pm
AreaLax wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:59 am
HopFan16 wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:11 am Big Ten will now allow fans at games this spring, based on local health guidelines. Effective immediately: https://bigten.org/news/2021/3/24/gener ... dance.aspx

Might there be fans (beyond parents) at games this weekend?
Yes!!!!
It says that it is up to the local jurisdictions. Don’t see PG County allowing fans.
Think it depends on how hard Maryland lobbies the county for fans. How many events can they handle on one?
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Mac O’Keefe ties for second all time in career goals,
206 total goals in 61 games.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

this is a one bid conference right now.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

jhu06 wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:16 am this is a one bid conference right now.
Nah. Rutgers and Maryland.

The ACC got a ton of hype out of beating a bunch of SoCon teams. Turns out High Point is a pretty bad team. Because the ACC gets all of the pre- and early season hype, when they start taking Ls against each other, everyone is going to say "Look how brutal the ACC is!" I'd love to see UVA and ND play Rutgers. I think they'd lose to Rutgers, who, IMO, is on par with Cuse.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Seems like Rutgers should be fine but funky math cox criteria can be volatile. I’d I have this right theres 6 at larges for:

#2, maybe 3 in Big Ten
#2-5 in acc
#2 in big East
#2 in pl
#2 in caa

Possibilities might include a random #2 in the AE or #3 in PL but unlikely. So seems like Rutgers will be fighting #4-5 in ACC, #2 in other Those conferences for those spots
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
DU-fan

Post by DU-fan »

Wheels wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:40 am

The ACC got a ton of hype out of beating a bunch of SoCon teams. Turns out High Point is a pretty bad team. Because the ACC gets all of the pre- and early season hype, when they start taking Ls against each other, everyone is going to say "Look how brutal the ACC is!" I'd love to see UVA and ND play Rutgers. I think they'd lose to Rutgers, who, IMO, is on par with Cuse.
I agree. This is the best Rutgers team that i can remember. It would be a shame if they fell on the wrong side of the bubble again. I hope they finish strong and make the tournament. I feel confident this is their year to get in.

It would be fun to see the ACC teams get knocked out in the early rounds of the NCAA. They get the best PR. But, as far I remember the B1G has been the better conference for the past 5 years. ACCN being part of ESPN is part of it. And there are media people that work for IL, ACCN, and ESPN, like Quint. And 80% of the people at ESPN went to SU.
DU-fan

Post by DU-fan »

Syracuse dominates the sports broadcast landscape; From the who’s who today to the who’s who tomorrow:
https://www.sportsbroadcastjournal.com/ ... -tomorrow/

I think another factor is the B1G AD focus on football first. The ACC schools put more focus on lacrosse than many of the B1G schools when it comes to promotions, media connections, coverage.

BTN+ vs. ACCN has a very different level of production.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

DU-fan wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:50 am

I agree. This is the best Rutgers team that i can remember. It would be a shame if they fell on the wrong side of the bubble again. I hope they finish strong and make the tournament. I feel confident this is their year to get in.

It would be fun to see the ACC teams get knocked out in the early rounds of the NCAA. They get the best PR. But, as far I remember the B1G has been the better conference for the past 5 years. ACCN being part of ESPN is part of it. And there are media people that work for IL, ACCN, and ESPN, like Quint. And 80% of the people at ESPN went to SU.
there is also that the acc typically has the best ooc record, best rpis as a result of that record and their opponents, best head to head over other conferences in most years, most 1st round wins, most ff appearances, championships, etc.
and were doing all that prior to syracuse and their broadcasters joining when umd was in the acc.

denver small data points but with td joining look like the biggest threat right now along with maryland, imo. followed by the 2 top patriots.

rutgers may get a 3rd shot at the terps. maybe they can take them to the wire.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

wgdsr wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:32 pm

there is also that the acc typically has the best ooc record, best rpis as a result of that record and their opponents, best head to head over other conferences in most years, most 1st round wins, most ff appearances, championships, etc.
and were doing all that prior to syracuse and their broadcasters joining when umd was in the acc.

denver small data points but with td joining look like the biggest threat right now along with maryland, imo. followed by the 2 top patriots.

Since the Big Ten formed, the ACC has 1 more national championship, the same # of FF’s, and fewer NCAA Tournament wins than the Big Ten does. In fact, the Big Ten has a winning record, 6-5, over the ACC in the NCAA Tournament since 2016.

The ACC is the best conference this year but that has not been true in every year or maybe even most years over the last 5-6 years and the pre ordainment before the year that the ACC was going to have put 4 teams in the Final Four and that every ACC game was gonna be a classic has absolutely shaped the coverage of those teams into this season. And I mean.....most of the games that ESPN is airing this year are on the ACC Network as opposed to ESPNU. That’s who they’re covering this year. Doesn’t take a rocket scientist to put two and two together that who they’re covering more will get disproportionate favorable coverage. Even if yes it appears that the ACC is the strongest conference this season.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

jrn19 wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:43 pm

Since the Big Ten formed, the ACC has 1 more national championship, the same # of FF’s, and fewer NCAA Tournament wins than the Big Ten does. In fact, the Big Ten has a winning record, 6-5, over the ACC in the NCAA Tournament since 2016.

The ACC is the best conference this year but that has not been true in every year or maybe even most years over the last 5-6 years and the pre ordainment before the year that the ACC was going to have put 4 teams in the Final Four and that every ACC game was gonna be a classic has absolutely shaped the coverage of those teams into this season. And I mean.....most of the games that ESPN is airing this year are on the ACC Network as opposed to ESPNU. That’s who they’re covering this year. Doesn’t take a rocket scientist to put two and two together that who they’re covering more will get disproportionate favorable coverage. Even if yes it appears that the ACC is the strongest conference this season.
he said the past 5 years, that's what i was going by.
wasn't the b1g's 1st year 2015?

if you want to stretch to 5 completed years, the b1g does much better.

but from 2016 on, i have the b1g as 2 and 6 vs the acc in the tournament. and the acc has more tourney wins with or without 2015. but, since formation (if 2015 counts) the numbers are tighter at playoff time.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Color me shocked that a UVA fan would prefer that the 2015 tournament didn't happen (I kid).

As for the B1G this year, Maryland is in, Rutgers will get in if they finish 8-2 with only losses to Maryland and probably even at 7-3 with losses to Maryland and one other team though that wouldn't be a lock. A third team at 6-4 reg. season is going to have to beat Maryland at least once and probably get Rutgers too, either in the regular season or conference tourney. A B1G team that finishes 6-6 (inclusive of the conf. tourney) with a win over Maryland/Rutgers is likely a bubble team and would be in a similar boat to ND if they go 1-5 in ACC play. I'd say it's unlikely but certainly possible for OSU/PSU/Hop to go on a run to at least put themselves in the conversation. And no I'm not backtracking on what I said earlier—a 4-6 B1G team is not getting in. A 5-5 team that loses in the first round of the conference tourney won't have any chance either unless they have a signature win over Maryland and even then it'd be a bubble case.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

wgdsr wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:20 pm
jrn19 wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:43 pm

he said the past 5 years, that's what i was going by.
wasn't the b1g's 1st year 2015?

if you want to stretch to 5 completed years, the b1g does much better.

but from 2016 on, i have the b1g as 2 and 6 vs the acc in the tournament. and the acc has more tourney wins with or without 2015. but, since formation (if 2015 counts) the numbers are tighter at playoff time.
Well there wasn’t a tournament in 2020 so if we’re doing the past 5 tournaments yes I stretched it to 2015. 2015-2019 are the last 5 tournaments
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Man, here's I've been saying that RU is on par with Cuse...and BAM!!

https://twitter.com/LacrosseNetwork/sta ... 27/photo/1
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

DU-fan wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:22 pm Syracuse dominates the sports broadcast landscape; From the who’s who today to the who’s who tomorrow:

I think another factor is the B1G AD focus on football first. The ACC schools put more focus on lacrosse than many of the B1G schools when it comes to promotions, media connections, coverage.

B1G has done nothing to promote lacrosse since it added the sport officially. Northwestern women played at wrigley. It would be great to put the b1g tournament at a camden yards, yankee stadium, tiger stadium to create some energy and momentum. Stadium crossovers have been great for sports like the NHL over the years to get more publicity.
https://dailynorthwestern.com/2014/04/2 ... ield-game/
CharmCityLaxMan

Post by CharmCityLaxMan »

jhu06 wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:05 pm
DU-fan wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:22 pm Syracuse dominates the sports broadcast landscape; From the who’s who today to the who’s who tomorrow:

B1G has done nothing to promote lacrosse since it added the sport officially. Northwestern women played at wrigley. It would be great to put the b1g tournament at a camden yards, yankee stadium, tiger stadium to create some energy and momentum. Stadium crossovers have been great for sports like the NHL over the years to get more publicity.
I don’t profess to know what it is — maybe there is just a longer history in the ACC to the sport than Big 10. Maryland was an ACC school and Hopkins was not affiliated with the Big 10. And, I agree most Big 10 fans have focused much more in football than non-revenue sports.

I do believe I know and understand what it isn’t. Putting a tournament in a huge stadium that it has no chance of filling will suck the life out of it.

Without out of conference games it is hard to claim that one program is better than another. But, it seems fair to say that the best of the Big 10 are as good or better than the best of the ACC and it’s been that way for a while. At the same time, the worst of the Big 10 is the worst of both leagues, and that does not look like it will change unless and until there is a change in staff.

A dedicated weekend for an ACC-Big 10 lacrosse challenge would be cool. That didn’t work out so well in basketball for the ACC this year.
Pensky Material

Post by Pensky Material »

CharmCityLaxMan wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:15 pm

But, it seems fair to say that the best of the Big 10 are as good or better than the best of the ACC and it’s been that way for a while.
I think right now Maryland is as good as any team out there. But regarding your comment above, what exactly is your criteria for determing the B10 being better than the ACC and it being that way for awhile as you state? I'm guessing it's not based on Championships.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

How on earth does 6,000 fans in a 45,000 seat baseball stadium create energy and momentum? They did those big football stadium shows for lacrosse and eventually abandoned them because by the end they were getting like 10,000 people and 10,000 people in these huge ass stadiums doesn’t look good
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Happy Easter, everyone! Hope Hopkins-Michigan, which is on ESPNU, is exciting!!
calourie

Post by calourie »

Tip of the hat to Michigan with what I consider the biggest win of their still developing program 13-10 over Hopkins (though the Wolverines may well see their victory over arch rival Ohio State a couple of years ago as more important). After some early game clearing issues MU settled in and actually outplayed the Jays. Goalie was outstanding. Attack was steady. Zone pretty effective. Another victory or two for the Wolverines this year wouldn't surprise me

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”