D1 Mens Lacrosse
jrn19

Re: Rutgers 2021

Post by jrn19 »

blue angels wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:12 pm
jrn19 wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:18 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:10 pm
Catbird wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:27 pm
bananas wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:01 pm Wish Bernhardt had stuck with football.
clear POY right now, everything he does looks effortless.
Sowers and Gray might have something to say come year end, especially since they play OOC games.
Sowers and Gray OOC games were against the entire SoCon. Is scoring a bunch of points against Mercer, High Point, Air Force, and Jacksonville really what decides the POY? They may very well win it because they’re excellent players having excellent seasons but I hope a bunch of OOC games against the 50th-70th best teams in D1 aren’t the reason
Well....They don’t name the player of the year based on games to date......Sowers and Gray will play all the other top ACC teams and some twice. Maryland belongs in that top level group but not certain any other Big Teams are in the same class as the ACC top 3. Perhaps, not even the top 4.
No they don’t. And I never said Bernhardt should be POY.

Also, I’d love to know what the evidence is for UVA who got blown out by Cuse and also was way behind to UNC and lost; or Notre Dame who’s beaten nobody and has an offense that’s in the mid-20’s in offense being so clearly better than Rutgers. Is it just that they’re in the ACC?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

jrn19 wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:03 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:50 pm You want your guy and he’s in the mix, not clear hands down as someone originally posted, and at a minimum that’s a tiebreaker. ACC plus Denver and Richmond would be a tiebreaker over BigTen and no other competition all else equal. That makes sense. Throw in how atrocious PSU and Mich are and OSU/Hop don’t look like top 20 teams and the strength of opponents which you are arguing starts to go against you. MD and Rutgers are very likely only teams above .500 as I see OSU ending 5-5.
Where did I say I wanted Bernhardt to win it? Or that he should win it?
My response which you questioned the merit of OOC being a consideration was to another post that stated Bernhardt was hands down POY. I assume as a MD fan you want to support your guy, who could easily win anyway, just isn’t hands down POY today and not having any OOC in a year where the BigTen is down makes it a harder case to the agnostic, third party voter when you’ve got some spectacular guys in what is likely a tougher conference this year and a few decent OOC data points as well, as much as you might want to downplay Richmond, Denver, Towson, etc. I like and have nothing against Bernhardt, just going to end a tough sell given the environment I just laid out and it’s be crazy to believe he’s a lock as someone else presented as certainty just prior to our discussion.
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

I am going to get a 4.0 in damage.

(Afan jealous he didn’t do this first)
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

The real story today was Maryland's defense. No transition goals allowed. Only 1 assisted goal. Holding Kirst and Mullins to a combined 1 and 1.

Rutgers is a really good team. I think they're better than UVA and Notre Dame. Probably on par with Syracuse, IMO.

RU won't lose another regular season B1G game. They're heads and shoulders clear of OSU, PSU, Hop, and Michigan. The problem is that Maryland is heads and shoulders clear of Rutgers.
calourie

Post by calourie »

Wheels wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:29 pm The real story today was Maryland's defense. No transition goals allowed. Only 1 assisted goal. Holding Kirst and Mullins to a combined 1 and 1.

Rutgers is a really good team. I think they're better than UVA and Notre Dame. Probably on par with Syracuse, IMO.

RU won't lose another regular season B1G game. They're heads and shoulders clear of OSU, PSU, Hop, and Michigan. The problem is that Maryland is heads and shoulders clear of Rutgers.
I'm not sold on Rutgers, as if anyone should care, though growing up in Jersey I tend to wish them well. They are very likely to make the big dance (almost certainly will if they win their 4 remaining regular season BIG matchups) which will give us all a chance to see how good they really are. UVA's win over Army and ND likely assures them a spot as well, but I think ND needs an ACC win to put them in so we can have a meaningful comparison between the three teams, judging on who advances the furthest.
cantrelax

Post by cantrelax »

B1G tourney will be entertaining. I think Rutgers is a gritty, well coached squad. Maryland, right now, looks awfully strong JB#1 is lethal.
Laxfan#1969

Post by Laxfan#1969 »

Sowers and Gray might have something to say come year end, especially since they play OOC games.
Sowers and Gray OOC games were against the entire SoCon. Is scoring a bunch of points against Mercer, High Point, Air Force, and Jacksonville really what decides the POY? They may very well win it because they’re excellent players having excellent seasons but I hope a bunch of OOC games against the 50th-70th best teams in D1 aren’t the reason
Exactly...such a weak ass discussion/ argument...sure, let's go beat up on a bunch of SOCON teams and then act like it builds strength of schedule...you wanna see Rutgers and Maryland go beat the daylights out of the SOCON? Because that is exactly what would happen...Rutgers and Maryland would roll through the SOCON if they played an OOC vs them...add OSU into that as well...again, good for the ACC that they beat up the SOCON...frankly in this odd year, I'd rather see the ACC play a round robin...better for TV...well done Big Ten.

And yes, the ACC has great teams and great players...but Maryland is the best and most compete team in the country today...their defense is special...nobody in the ACC is playing defense like Maryland...maybe against a SOCON schedule...of course

Loyola beat Richmond...and Loyola is having a down year...let's not act like the SOCON is some lineup of powerhouse teams...decent teams, sure...Big Ten quality...nope.

Bernhardt is a beast. The others guys in the ACC are great players as well...who the hell knows who will win the award...but OOC games this year are irrelevant with the exception of padding stats...
Laxfan#1969

Post by Laxfan#1969 »

Wheels wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:29 pm The real story today was Maryland's defense. No transition goals allowed. Only 1 assisted goal. Holding Kirst and Mullins to a combined 1 and 1.

You nailed it...Maryland has an ELITE defense...they have superstars on offense, but their defense is elite and they are the best team in the country because they play defense...right now....

Can things shift in May...maybe, but give me Maryland all day right now...

Rutgers is a damn good team this year...Maryland is just that much better...

I'd love to see RU finish string and play UVA or ND, or Cuse in the NCAA...at this point today...I'll take Rutgers in those games...
Laxfan#1969

Post by Laxfan#1969 »

jrn19 wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:17 pm
Well....They don’t name the player of the year based on games to date......Sowers and Gray will play all the other top ACC teams and some twice. Maryland belongs in that top level group but not certain any other Big Teams are in the same class as the ACC top 3. Perhaps, not even the top 4.

Also, I’d love to know what the evidence is for UVA who got blown out by Cuse and also was way behind to UNC and lost; or Notre Dame who’s beaten nobody and has an offense that’s in the mid-20’s in offense being so clearly better than Rutgers. Is it just that they’re in the ACC?
Three elite teams right now...Maryland, UNC, Duke

And then the next grouping has Rutgers, ND, Syracuse, Army, UVA, and Denver...not in any particular order...

Anyone who thinks Rutgers can't play with UVA, or ND, or Syracuse hasn't been paying attention this year...now, lots of games left, teams can get hit or fade...but today, not tomorrow, I'd take Rutgers in dog fights with all those teams and I'd take RU pretty heavy over ND and UVA...
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

Laxfan#1969 wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:38 pm
jrn19 wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:17 pm

Three elite teams right now...Maryland, UNC, Duke

And then the next grouping has Rutgers, ND, Syracuse, Army, UVA, and Denver...not in any particular order...

Anyone who thinks Rutgers can't play with UVA, or ND, or Syracuse hasn't been paying attention this year...now, lots of games left, teams can get hit or fade...but today, not tomorrow, I'd take Rutgers in dog fights with all those teams and I'd take RU pretty heavy over ND and UVA...
Rutgers will get an opportunity to show how good they are in the Tournament, but so far, where is the evidence in their wins? The Big 10 is Terrible this year, except Maryland....... Hating on the ACC isn't going to change that..... Is their best win against a 3-3 OSU?, Please.......
Njlaxx11

Post by Njlaxx11 »

watching rutgers inability to limit bernhardt makes me nervous to see them in a potential matchup vs Gray or Sowers. don't know that they have the guys to shut down #1 options.
livelovelax

Post by livelovelax »

It is very possible that Rutgers will play Maryland 4 times this year. Might Rutgers beat them in the Big Ten Championship game? Might they play them in the final four or final. It is then that it really matters and it is very hard for a team to beat another really good team 3-4 times in the same season. Maryland is the best team in the country as much for its defense as its great offense. There is a lot to play for and much work to be done. Alot can happen. BTW, the ACC arrogance is incredible. Here's to the Terps and Knights in the final game.
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

I like Rutgers. They’ve been so close to getting a bid over the last five or six years. However, I think it’s asking a lot for them to make a final four or final two in the first program appearance in 17 years (I know Penn St pulled that off a couple years back). They haven’t come close to beating Maryland this year and I would expect them to have a similar outcome when they match up against Duke, North Carolina, Syracuse, Denver, Lehigh or even Maryland again. They’d face those teams before a final four since they would not be ranked in the top four. I’d like to be wrong about that. Be great to see a different team in the finals.
courtdog

Post by courtdog »

Rutgers will still do some damage in the NCAA tourney. Just have some kryptonite with the terps. They will be fine come May
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

livelovelax wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:42 am It is very possible that Rutgers will play Maryland 4 times this year. Might Rutgers beat them in the Big Ten Championship game? Might they play them in the final four or final. It is then that it really matters and it is very hard for a team to beat another really good team 3-4 times in the same season. Maryland is the best team in the country as much for its defense as its great offense. There is a lot to play for and much work to be done. Alot can happen. BTW, the ACC arrogance is incredible. Here's to the Terps and Knights in the final game.
I’m not an ACC guy but we’re you around a couple of years ago when MD won over OSU. The peacocking was worse than anything I’ve ever seen out of an SEC school
Regarding their football. So let’s slow down on the ACC arrogance. Especially since the only reason MD is in the Big Ten is because a prior AD didnt know how to do math.
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

I am going to get a 4.0 in damage.

(Afan jealous he didn’t do this first)
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

courtdog wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:16 am Rutgers will still do some damage in the NCAA tourney. Just have some kryptonite with the terps. They will be fine come May
Rutgers is 46th out of the top 50 in NCAA stats - Scoring Defense. Other then Maryland, The other 4 teams are in the bottom 10 in scoring defense. And of course Michigan is not in the top 50. Watching the MD - Rutgers game Jean- Felix needs a lot of work. His foot work is non existent. Get in a breakdown position, stick out , poke , slap , get in a base. Yes, he played Bernhardt but he needs a lot of work on fundamentals of close D. He simply mirrored Bernhardt and threw 0 checks. Close defenseman should disrupt the opponent not just run around w your opponent.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

:cry:
Mr3Putt wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:48 pm
courtdog wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:16 am Rutgers will still do some damage in the NCAA tourney. Just have some kryptonite with the terps. They will be fine come May
Rutgers is 46th out of the top 50 in NCAA stats - Scoring Defense. Other then Maryland, The other 4 teams are in the bottom 10 in scoring defense. And of course Michigan is not in the top 50. Watching the MD - Rutgers game Jean- Felix needs a lot of work. His foot work is non existent. Get in a breakdown position, stick out , poke , slap , get in a base. Yes, he played Bernhardt but he needs a lot of work on fundamentals of close D. He simply mirrored Bernhardt and threw 0 checks. Close defenseman should disrupt the opponent not just run around w your opponent.
They’re 15th in adjusted defensive efficiency. On a per possession basis they’re much better than just the # of goals allowed indicates which makes sense since they’re not an amazing FO team and with the style of play that they have there are going to be a lot of possessions in a game.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Mr3Putt wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:48 pm Watching the MD - Rutgers game Jean- Felix needs a lot of work. His foot work is non existent. Get in a breakdown position, stick out , poke , slap , get in a base. Yes, he played Bernhardt but he needs a lot of work on fundamentals of close D. He simply mirrored Bernhardt and threw 0 checks. Close defenseman should disrupt the opponent not just run around w your opponent.
TBF to Jean-Felix, Bernhardt isn't exactly an easy guy to stay in front of. In past seasons, Bernhardt didn't do too much change of direction in his dodges. He added that this year. So now he can go 0 to 60 faster than maybe any attackman in the game, he's strong (probably not Kirst of Leclaire strong because they're 30 pounds heavier), and he can change directions. What's Jean-Felix supposed to do? He's not as fast or strong as Bernhardt. He can change direction as well as Bernhardt. Stick checks aren't going to bother Bernhardt. Just a bad match up, but he was RU's best shot.

We haven't seen anyone try to shut Bernhardt off yet, but you have to think it's coming. They'll just run Bernhardt through the box to get him the ball, but someone will try it.
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

He was playing a great player in Bernhardt, but that was not my point. You could do a two hour show on close defenseman play . I’m just throwing some thing I saw that is basic. That’s on Rutgers and the staff. But, close defense in general don’t play aggressive enough to causes turnovers. And yes stick technology / crab nets have a lot to do with it. Until Bernhardt gets to May 15th he won’t play a defense in the top 30 in scoring defense.. MD is top20. Jean Felix is a good athlete if the coaches work w him could be better. The stick is 72 inches for a reason , put it out at 12oclock and good things happen.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Mr3Putt wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:16 am He was playing a great player in Bernhardt, but that was not my point. You could do a two hour show on close defenseman play . I’m just throwing some thing I saw that is basic. That’s on Rutgers and the staff. But, close defense in general don’t play aggressive enough to causes turnovers. And yes stick technology / crab nets have a lot to do with it. Until Bernhardt gets to May 15th he won’t play a defense in the top 30 in scoring defense.. MD is top20. Jean Felix is a good athlete if the coaches work w him could be better. The stick is 72 inches for a reason , put it out at 12oclock and good things happen.
You’re still mentioning scoring defense, which is not as good an indicator as defensive success.

Also, depending on who Maryland draws in the tournament, it’s entirely possible he doesn’t see a top defense till Memorial Day. UVA is in the 40’s in adjusted defensive efficiency and North Carolina is 40th. They could play them both to get to the championship, both are way worse than Rutgers. Perhaps they could get GTown and ND who are both elite.

Point is, Rutgers is a good defense and scoring defense isn’t a good way of indicating defensive strength because it doesn’t control for anything like how many possession there are in the game or how often you’re playing defense due to faceoffs and things like that for example
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Mr3Putt wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:16 am He was playing a great player in Bernhardt, but that was not my point. You could do a two hour show on close defenseman play . I’m just throwing some thing I saw that is basic. That’s on Rutgers and the staff. But, close defense in general don’t play aggressive enough to causes turnovers. And yes stick technology / crab nets have a lot to do with it. Until Bernhardt gets to May 15th he won’t play a defense in the top 30 in scoring defense.. MD is top20. Jean Felix is a good athlete if the coaches work w him could be better. The stick is 72 inches for a reason , put it out at 12oclock and good things happen.
what was weirder to me was rutgers allowing bernardt to come at the cage without any help ready, or even closing off space.

i understand he sees the field, but daring him to score from 3-4 yards doesn't seem like a strategy.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”