Navy 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Dip&Dunk

Re: Navy 2021

Post by Dip&Dunk »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:22 pm 1182BA8A-2D42-41DA-863D-36D804ADE762.jpeg
"We can neither confirm or deny the existence of said supposed submarines. The US Navy does not discuss current operations."

(Except when we need a budget plus up)
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Navy varsity athletes awoke to welcome news this morning because @NavyAthletics was given the green light to resume activities following a pause that lasted three weeks.
laxxygilmore

Post by laxxygilmore »

Yay! Great news to wake-up to at Bancroft indeed!
And I've also heard that the 3/6 postponed Bucknell @ Navy game will be Sat. 3/27 @ 3PM @ NMCMS (in lieu of HC @ 1pm? and that 3/27 Bucknell @ Army has been postponed?)...could all that be the case in this crazy fauci'd-up C-19 world? :shock:

youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

I thought the vs Bucknell, was this Sunday...who knows, might as well just wait it out for confirmation.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
laxxygilmore

Post by laxxygilmore »

Per 3/22/21 MLax Alum Newsletter from Coach Amplo...including a March 17th miracle from St. Patrick for Navy MLax fans! :) ...
UPDATED March 17th. Under the current COVID guidelines, we can host up to 50% occupancy of Navy Marine Corps Stadium. We welcome you to attend our games in person. Please note, this could change if health conditions change. For the most up to date and accurate schedule, click on the button below.

Date Time Opponent Venue
Saturday, 20 Feb 21 Mount St. Mary's (Won 8-5)
Sunday, 27 Feb 21 Jacksonville (Won 13-6)
Saturday, 6 Mar 21 1200 Bucknell RESCHEDULED
Saturday,13 Mar 21 TBD UPENN CANCELLED
Saturday, 20 Mar 21 1400 Lafayette Easton, PA RESCHEDULED
Sunday, 28 Mar 1200 BUCKNELLs NMCMS
Saturday, 3 Apr 1400 Loyola NMCMS
Saturday, 10 Apr 1600 Lehigh Lehigh, PA
Saturday, 17 Apr 1200 Loyola Baltimore, MD
Saturday, 24 Apr 1200 Army NMCMS
Saturday, 1 May 21 TBD LAFAYETTE NMCMS
NOTE! Above shows Bucknell game start @ 12noon, but the Navy website schedule shows the start @ 3pm (the Bucknell schedule shows a 3pm start as well).

https://navysports.com/sports/mens-lacr ... edule/2021
https://bucknellbison.com/sports/mens-lacrosse/schedule

GO NAVY! BEAT BUCKNELL! ... no matter what time the game starts!
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

ckstevenson

Post by ckstevenson »

laxxygilmore wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:41 pm Per 3/22/21 MLax Alum Newsletter from Coach Amplo...including a March 17th miracle from St. Patrick for Navy MLax fans! :) ...
UPDATED March 17th. Under the current COVID guidelines, we can host up to 50% occupancy of Navy Marine Corps Stadium. We welcome you to attend our games in person. Please note, this could change if health conditions change. For the most up to date and accurate schedule, click on the button below.

Date Time Opponent Venue
NOTE! Above shows Bucknell game start @ 12noon, but the Navy website schedule shows the start @ 3pm (the Bucknell schedule shows a 3pm start as well).

I defer to whatever USNA thinks is safest for all, but will fans perhaps be allowed?
old salt

Post by old salt »

According to the Navy website, spectators will be allowed.
laxxygilmore

Post by laxxygilmore »

ckstevenson wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:41 am
laxxygilmore wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:41 pm Per 3/22/21 MLax Alum Newsletter from Coach Amplo...including a March 17th miracle from St. Patrick for Navy MLax fans! :) ...

Date Time Opponent Venue

I defer to whatever USNA thinks is safest for all, but will fans perhaps be allowed?
Agreed!...as long as Dr. Fauci isn't consulted! :shock: ;)

GO NAVY! BEAT BUCKNELL!
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

laxxygilmore wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:41 pm
ckstevenson wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:41 am

Date Time Opponent Venue

Agreed!...as long as Dr. Fauci isn't consulted! :shock: ;)

GO NAVY! BEAT BUCKNELL!
You’ll have to shut it down.
So sorry.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Home game ticket sales -- online only, no walkup apparently.

https://navysports.com/sports/2018/7/20 ... -html.aspx
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

You all following the Suez Canal?

Did you see the vessel’s track before entering the Canal?
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:42 pm You all following the Suez Canal?

Hard to evaluate the track without knowing the traffic/anchoring situation.

What I do know is the real battle will be in the courts. Ever Green vs Canal Authority vs Egypt vs each of the 200 some ships delayed.

Prediction: Egypt pays nothing and even sues for damage to canal.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

Dip&Dunk wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:54 am
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:42 pm You all following the Suez Canal?

Hard to evaluate the track without knowing the traffic/anchoring situation.

What I do know is the real battle will be in the courts. Ever Green vs Canal Authority vs Egypt vs each of the 200 some ships delayed.

Prediction: Egypt pays nothing and even sues for damage to canal.
For those not following the conversation, we are referring to this:

https://m.jpost.com/omg/ever-given-drew ... nal-663379
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:55 pm
TheGoat1999 wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:52 pm Army/Lehigh are clearly the Alpha's with similar style, swag, grit and athleticism on the field.
I would not disagree at this point. Based on the eye test and re-watching Navy games...a couple times, the Navy team still seems like they are being programmed to follow direct orders on the lax field .. offensively speaking. Slow to sub, flirt with 5v5 on occasion, move the ball to kill some clock, and set up the midfielders for a shot....where have we seen that before? And shocker.....when they just play after a loose ball, a take-away during a hard ride, when everything has broken down....they often capitalize. Our defense is pretty damned good, our ride is pretty damned good, and our 3v3 unit is pretty damned good.....they need to loosen em-up offensively.

Often, you see them in an open set to start, stretching out the D, which makes for long slides....a simple speed dodge would force a 2v1...but no, gotta get in formation. Test the waters, probe a bit, search for a double, attack early...if nothing is there pull it back out.

I love their 2-2-2 s & 2-4 offensive sets, but players are carrying the ball far too long, looking at their feet while dodging, & missing wide open players. Are they not allowed to throw skip passes...certainly looks like it or I suppose it is because they don't see them? Think about it, if you are carrying the ball too long, and all your passes are adjacent, and your inside guys are not really picking for each other but waiting to follow a slide (which is quite rare), the defense is saying...thank you very much; something needs to be tweaked, we need more, STAT.

....Lehigh and Army do these very things, and have been for years.
Last home game was 28FEB vs JAX.

These last 30 days, the MIDS have experienced a real life training session of endurance and persistence; when summed, equals perseverance. With a week of practice under their belt, my hope is that the 3 week ROM provided an opportunity for the staff to dig in to film and say...you know, we can do better, and must do better if we are going to earN* the PL bid.

My hope, is that this week of practice brought discomfort to the players, a discomfort of excitement, provided by new O-schemes, which in-turn stretched the defense out of their comfort zone. Keep in mind, for years we struggled to get to 10 goals/game, which often costs us the W. In this era of the shot clock, you need to up that and hit 12+. unless it's just one of those defensive battles where no one gives an inch.

Go Navy!
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

youthathletics wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:33 am
TheGoat1999 wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:52 pm Army/Lehigh are clearly the Alpha's with similar style, swag, grit and athleticism on the field.
I would not disagree at this point. Based on the eye test and re-watching Navy games...a couple times, the Navy team still seems like they are being programmed to follow direct orders on the lax field .. offensively speaking. Slow to sub, flirt with 5v5 on occasion, move the ball to kill some clock, and set up the midfielders for a shot....where have we seen that before? And shocker.....when they just play after a loose ball, a take-away during a hard ride, when everything has broken down....they often capitalize. Our defense is pretty damned good, our ride is pretty damned good, and our 3v3 unit is pretty damned good.....they need to loosen em-up offensively.

Often, you see them in an open set to start, stretching out the D, which makes for long slides....a simple speed dodge would force a 2v1...but no, gotta get in formation. Test the waters, probe a bit, search for a double, attack early...if nothing is there pull it back out.

I love their 2-2-2 s & 2-4 offensive sets, but players are carrying the ball far too long, looking at their feet while dodging, & missing wide open players. Are they not allowed to throw skip passes...certainly looks like it or I suppose it is because they don't see them? Think about it, if you are carrying the ball too long, and all your passes are adjacent, and your inside guys are not really picking for each other but waiting to follow a slide (which is quite rare), the defense is saying...thank you very much; something needs to be tweaked, we need more, STAT.

These last 30 days, the MIDS have experienced a real life training session of endurance and persistence; when summed, equals perseverance. With a week of practice under their belt, my hope is that the 3 week ROM provided an opportunity for the staff to dig in to film and say...you know, we can do better, and must do better if we are going to earN* the PL bid.

My hope, is that this week of practice brought discomfort to the players, a discomfort of excitement, provided by new O-schemes, which in-turn stretched the defense out of their comfort zone. Keep in mind, for years we struggled to get to 10 goals/game, which often costs us the W. In this era of the shot clock, you need to up that and hit 12+. unless it's just one of those defensive battles where no one gives an inch.

Go Navy!
Go luck today and enjoy it. I plan on watching it.
“I wish you would!”
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

Nice win considering everything the announcers mentioned several dozen times. Would like to see that one player emerge on the offensive end that puts the team on his shoulders and the other team must actively game plan against. Still well behind Army but on a positive trend!

Like the NCAA tournament: win and move on to the next one.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Thought you guys might win by more as this seems like one of the worst years in Bucknell under Feds. Win is a win but the Loyola loss and looking at Lehigh’s schedule to date made me realize that only Army has really established their position around the top. Guess the next two weeks will tell a lot looking at the various schedules of Navy, Army, Lehigh and Loyola. BU is kind on under the radar at 5-1 as well and could be in the mix.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
old salt

Post by old salt »

Spencer Rees, Patrick Skalniak lead Navy men’s lacrosse to 13-10 victory over Bucknell after month-long layoff
By BILL WAGNER, CAPITAL GAZETTE, MAR 28, 2021, 8:15 PM

When you haven’t played a game for a month and went three weeks without practicing as a team, you’ll take a win whatever way you can get it.

Coach Joe Amplo thought the Navy men’s lacrosse team was rusty and a bit sloppy at times Sunday but was thrilled to come away with a valuable Patriot League win.

Sophomore midfielder Patrick Skalniak amassed a career-best six points to spark a balanced offensive effort, while senior goalie Spencer Rees recorded a career-high 17 saves to cover for some defensive breakdowns as No. 16 Navy beat Bucknell, 13-10, at Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium.

Skalniak, whose father is a former Navy lacrosse player, scored two goals and dished off four assists. The Dallas resident did most of his damage during the third quarter, scoring both goals and assisting two others as the Midshipmen outscored the Bison 6-3 to take control.

“Credit to Bucknell. They came out and put it on us early,” Skalniak said. “We rebounded in the second half. The tempo picked up offensively and we were getting the ball on sticks when it needed to be there.”

Amplo said Skalniak “grew up” during the game and provided a real “presence.”

Junior attackman Jack Sweeney notched his second career hat trick for Navy (3-0), which had not played since defeating Jacksonville on Feb. 28. Navy paused all athletic activities beginning March 1 and varsity teams were not allowed to resume practicing until this past Monday, March 22.

“It’s just great to play the game of lacrosse again. Running through the tunnel and getting back on the field, it’s a feeling this team needs,” Skalniak said. “Now that we got our first Patriot League game under our belt, we’re going to hit the ground running.”

Amplo only had five practices to prepare his players for the conference opener after the lengthy layoff. Adding to the challenge was the fact the second-year coach had to attend a funeral in New York and missed a practice.

“I thought we were as prepared a team as I’ve ever been around, and that’s a real credit to my staff,” Amplo said. “I’m really proud of my staff for putting our team in position to play well today.”

Senior attackman Christian Daniel totaled two goals and two assists and needs just one point to become the 36th player in Navy men’s lacrosse history to reach 100. Senior attackman Tyler Perreten (Severn School) contributed a goal and two assists, while senior midfielder Michael Foster added two goals for the Mids, who had 11 players notch a point.

“It’s the best thing this team needs — everybody growing as one and no individual guys sticking out,” Skalniak said of the offensive balance.

Amplo felt the rust showed up in the catching and throwing department. He thought the Midshipmen would come out with more energy, especially since they were home in front of almost 600 fans at Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium.

“Honestly, I felt like we were flat emotionally relative to [Bucknell],” Amplo said.

While the ball handling was shaky at times, the three-week layoff from practice was more apparent on the defensive end. Communication and chemistry were lacking at times and that enabled Bucknell to get some high-percentage shots.

Rees stood tall in the face of a whopping 47 shots, making several spectacular saves on point-blank or one-on-one attempts. The Boys’ Latin product is a first-year starter and entered this season having played just over 61 minutes in five games.

“I thought defensively we were less sharp than we needed to be, and Spence bailed us out. If he didn’t, the game could have gone a different way,” Amplo said. “He stepped up and made some dramatic saves in key moments to steady us.”

Rees even got involved with the scoring, hurling a long clearing pass all the way downfield to attackman Christian Daniel to beat Bucknell’s 10-man ride. Goalie Ben Clark (10 saves) was caught out of the cage and Daniel wound up scoring into an empty net.

Daniel had to get past a defender while driving to the goal, but Rees received a richly deserved assist for setting up the score.

“It’s pretty rare to see a goalie get an assist, so that was pretty cool,” Skalniak said. “Spencer stood on his head the whole game, and we see that in practice every day. It’s tough to score on him.”

Navy seemed determined to make Bucknell pay for employing the 10-man ride, a staple of the program during the 16-year tenure of coach Frank Fedorjaka. Multiple long poles attempted shots on the empty net from the defensive zone. Those were off target, but the Rees full-field pass did lead to an easy goal.

“All week, coach was saying there were opportunities because of the 10-man ride,” said Rees, who had never been credited with an assist at any point in his career. “It wasn’t the best of passes, but Christian made a nice play on it.”

The Midshipmen scrambled at times to get the ball across midfield and into their box but wound up 26-for-29 on clearing chances. Amplo talked about how Bucknell can make things “chaotic” and felt Navy handled it for the most part. Skalniak gave the scout team credit for mimicking the Bison version of the 10-man ride.

“Every day in practice we go over the 10-man and how we’re going to attack it, what we’re going to do to clear the ball,” he said.

Sweeney scored two goals, while Daniel had a goal and assist during the big third quarter, during which Navy scored five straight goals at one point to increase a 5-4 halftime lead to an 11-7 margin.

Bucknell was not about to go down without a fight and outscored Navy 3-1 to get within 12-10 at the 7:11 mark of the fourth quarter. Perreten, a Crofton resident, delivered the dagger by scoring just as the shot clock was about to expire and giving the Mids a three-goal cushion with 3:18 remaining in the game.

“It was a gutty performance by the entire team. Bucknell pushed us to the brink at the end,” Amplo said.

Junior attackman Brendan Lundy scored three goals to lead Bucknell (1-3). Freshman attackman Dutch Furlong, a Gilman School graduate, added two goals.

Navy will need to sharpen its focus further this coming week before welcoming No. 12 Loyola Maryland to Annapolis next Saturday. The Greyhounds were the preseason pick to capture the Patriot League championship.

“We just have to stack simple plays on top of each other,” Amplo said. “We’ve got a very hungry and very good Loyola team coming to town. This week is about us. We have to focus on getting better.”
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

youthathletics wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:33 am

Go Navy!
Nice to see 10 players with a point or more contributing to a 13 goal game...and a win.

It was certainly clear to me, and I assume to others that follow Navy lacrosse, that we saw more skip passes in this one game than we have seen in an multiple games, if not a season. Goal number 2 was a beauty, when (43) skipped the AJ below(17) GLE and went to (57) behind the cage to opposite alley and banged upfield for the step down by (22)....have not seen anything like that in awhile. Another from (25) to (29) to (17), another from (17) to (29) for the step down, (29) to (32) on the crease, (29) to (21) on the inside, (17) to (22) skip on the transition, then (29) to (57) at GLE working upfield.

You could also see players were not dodging to certain spots, as if they were following marching orders on Worden Field. Their heads were up, looking for teammates on the backside. Credit Coach Ross and the players for opening up and trusting each other. Maybe the coaches do read these boards, ;) :lol:

We certainly played a lot of defense yesterday, especially with 7 penalties...ugh. Rees was legit, full stop.

Defensively, my game plan for this week would be a heavy dose of strategy in the 3v3. Bucknell, seemed to play a cat and mouse game with us....awfully odd the ball seemed to get to open space where we were not. I'd have to re-watch to see if it were just luck or there indeed was a calculated strategy on their behalf.

Very happy for the players to be playing again, it is certainly a blessing.

Go Navy!
~Livy

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”