Loyola Greyhounds 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Malty

Re: Loyola Greyhounds 2021

Post by Malty »

Mr3Putt wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:56 am
GreyingHound wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:13 pm
laxbro11 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:40 am If you watched SU and Duke last night, the way both teams moved the ball and created offense... This is what i would like to see from Loyola, the ball does not stay in a stick for longer than a second or so.

Plus Scanlon would make a huge difference on this team...
Watched the game. Had the exact same thoughts.

That was Scanlan's best game of the season. Duke was scary in the first quarter. Not sure what changed to make it a close game in the second half, especially with Duke dominating faceoffs, aside from Porter making amazing saves in cage.
What changed in the Duke/Su game IMO was offensively Duke went all Sowers and the rest of the team stood and watched. They were not moving the ball as a unit . Earlier everyone was involved they kept SU guessing. Plus Porter did make some saves. Scanlan must be thinking , wow Spencer was a hell of a distributor! That pie he is dealing with currently is much bigger and doesn’t get the touches he did at Loyola
Scanlon had 4 goals v Duke. He averaged 3.4 points/game in 2019. In 2021 he's averaging 4.1
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

This is....not a scintillating game so far. Towson O looks dreadful, Loyola content to just run out the shot clock, this game desperately needs some transition goals to open it up.
GreyingHound

Post by GreyingHound »

pcowlax wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:13 pm This is....not a scintillating game so far. Towson O looks dreadful, Loyola content to just run out the shot clock, this game desperately needs some transition goals to open it up.
The offense is stagnant. Unreal how many shot clock violations we've had.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

If they can't get free or beat their men 1:1, they should have Swindell just be bombing some from outside.
GreyingHound

Post by GreyingHound »

Let's see if Savio can win it for us.
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

What a total embarrassment. Anytime Peter brown Brown wants to eat some crow Offense awful. Towson is a below average team. I am struggling for words.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

The man you cite doesn’t eat crow he doubles down every time, floods the box (stolen from a snake di marhgarita) with misinformation and just lobs bombs.

Had been wondering how good Loyola was this year. Tough loss, really going to take down the 2nd PL bid a notch with so few OOC games. Need Loyola to win AQ and either Army or Lehigh get get an at large because Loyola’s resume isn’t going to be there now.

And UVA is very thankful to have beaten ND today or they’d be paying a lot of attention to Rutgers now that this Loyola win will Mikey fall out of the NCAA definition of a quality win.

Why is the offense struggling? Thought there were a bunch of pieces, good FOGO and some talented FR. Is it team cohesion with too many younger kids playing or something else?
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

There are no ugly wins for players and in a rivalry game that must have been beautiful for Townson players and fans. There are, however, ugly wins to watch for a disinterested observer and that was a brutal game to watch. Fewer than 30 shots on goal TOTAL between the 2 teams and including almost 5 minutes of OT. No effective off ball movement, no urgency, a bizarre willingness to just run the shot clock down and dump it as though Loyola was ahead by 20 and trying not to run up the score, no apparent change in tactics when it became apparent Olmstead was not going to be able to run around Smith and initiate much, etc, etc. As I said, once it became apparent they weren't going to be getting many high percentage shots with this offense, you've got to switch to less high percentage shots, not NO shots! Started firing form outside. Swindell has a cannon, let him just rip it. Avoiding the possible unsettled situation that follows so as to be sure to be able to setup your O for a ride and avoid any fast breaks for the D is all fine and good but is playing not to lose rather than to win.
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

No offense is correct. Starters where 3 of 20. But let’s keep doing the same thing. Poitras. Bateman ineffective. One step forward. Two steps back They just take up space.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Seat was 6/15 prior to today. Should he be starting?
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:05 pm Seat was 6/15 prior to today. Should he be starting?
Seay is consistent. He had a bad game. The others that have mentioned play the same game in game out
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:05 pm Seat was 6/15 prior to today. Should he be starting?
Seay is consistent. He had a bad game. The others that have mentioned play the same game in game out
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:52 pm The man you cite doesn’t eat crow he doubles down every time, floods the box (stolen from a snake di marhgarita) with misinformation and just lobs bombs.

Had been wondering how good Loyola was this year. Tough loss, really going to take down the 2nd PL bid a notch with so few OOC games. Need Loyola to win AQ and either Army or Lehigh get get an at large because Loyola’s resume isn’t going to be there now.

And UVA is very thankful to have beaten ND today or they’d be paying a lot of attention to Rutgers now that this Loyola win will Mikey fall out of the NCAA definition of a quality win.

Why is the offense struggling? Thought there were a bunch of pieces, good FOGO and some talented FR. Is it team cohesion with too many younger kids playing or something else?
I don't think there are a bunch of pieces tbh. I mean maybe there are a lot of pieces but none of them are really elite. At the end of the day a lot of offense really boils down to isolating your best players on shorties and can your best players win those match-ups? Loyola doesn't have those guys. Olmstead was largely blanketed by Smith today. Lindley isn't going to dodge on anyone. I like James some. Swindell can show flashes of beating his guy but his shooting is spotty from there. There isn't a go-to elite dodger anywhere and the guys who can dodge some on shorties aren't beating long poles to set up shorties for others. Everything pretty much boils down to that.
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

laxbro11 wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:07 pm
I like Seay. He brings some physicality. Poitras Bateman not so much. Swindell is solid. There is no ball movement. Shi#*#% passes. Bottom line inconsistent. But keep putting the same players out. Get the same result. We struggle with good teams.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

jrn19 wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:08 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:52 pm The man you cite doesn’t eat crow he doubles down every time, floods the box (stolen from a snake di marhgarita) with misinformation and just lobs bombs.

I don't think there are a bunch of pieces tbh. I mean maybe there are a lot of pieces but none of them are really elite. At the end of the day a lot of offense really boils down to isolating your best players on shorties and can your best players win those match-ups? Loyola doesn't have those guys. Olmstead was largely blanketed by Smith today. Lindley isn't going to dodge on anyone. I like James some. Swindell can show flashes of beating his guy but his shooting is spotty from there. There isn't a go-to elite dodger anywhere and the guys who can dodge some on shorties aren't beating long poles to set up shorties for others. Everything pretty much boils down to that.
Sounds like the Loyola from the ECAC days I recall who would bounce in and out of the top 20 being a little bit over .500 than the Champion and post title teams. Did they win the title after leaving the final broke down iteration of the ECAC? I ask because if so it would be interesting to look at the Meade era from their first year in the PL where they went to the finals in one of the 3-4 best finals I’ve seen to some good top ten years and finally some inconsistency which led to Meades firing. Not suggesting Toomey shouldn’t stay put just it would be interesting lining up those two periods
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:18 pm
jrn19 wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:08 pm

Sounds like the Loyola from the ECAC days I recall who would bounce in and out of the top 20 being a little bit over .500 than the Champion and post title teams. Did they win the title after leaving the final broke down iteration of the ECAC? I ask because if so it would be interesting to look at the Meade era from their first year in the PL where they went to the finals in one of the 3-4 best finals I’ve seen to some good top ten years and finally some inconsistency which led to Meades firing. Not suggesting Toomey shouldn’t stay put just it would be interesting lining up those two periods
They won the title in 2012 and then the final year of the ECAC was in 2013. First year in Patriot League they were dominant, 15-2 and were a 3 seed in the tournament before Lyle exploded on them. 2015 they went 7-8 and missed the tournament. Then the Pat years. Not sure what to make of it or what it says but it is looking like they'll be a pretty meh team in both the last year pre-Pat and the first year after Pat. Maybe first two years post Pat albeit team didn't really get to develop last year bc the season was called off.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

yes, uva now needed the nd win. and now for nd to catch an acc win or 2. hoos probably got to get another one and/or at least richmond.

how loyola can put up 20 + on some teams and then barely score is perplexing. are the stratas in lacrosse that wide again?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Thanks. The last couple of ECAC were the darkest years in Hobart history so I try to block those seasons out completely. When it was the more “traditional” ECAC Pre Big East and end of GWLL, they were more pedestrian. Know Dirrygl really blew things up between Cottle and Toomey but for basically second half of 2000s I recall Loyola being a 15-25 ranked type program who’d bump around .500 with a strong schedule. The PL has gotten stronger over time but it’s not what the 2000s ECAC was when you had 2-3 playoff teams every year including traditional top 10(ish) GTown and UMass as well as PSU, Loyola, Hobart, Fairfield and St Johns (at a time they weren’t on life support).
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

wgdsr wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:24 pm

yes, uva now needed the nd win. and now for nd to catch an acc win or 2. hoos probably got to get another one and/or at least richmond.

how loyola can put up 20 + on some teams and then barely score is perplexing. are the stratas in lacrosse that wide again?
Need Army to not take too many dumb losses either.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

laxbro11 wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:39 pm What a total embarrassment. Anytime Peter brown Brown wants to eat some crow Offense awful. Towson is a below average team. I am struggling for words.

Your ability to emotionally belittle whole teams of of players based based on very little knowledge of the sport might be unrivaled on the Internet. Congrats?

That Towson team you says stinks, is beginning to gel at the right time; after two tough outings to start the year, they have been within 1 or 2 goals of being on a 4-game win streak. Rivalries, especially a Towson Loyola tilt, can be tricky for a coach to know if his team will bring it, or not.

Towson has some quality players and they can play; Loyola has some quality players and they too can play. Teams develop in different ways throughout a season. Any team in D1 is worthy of respect; that goes for individual players as well.

Some days are diamonds; some days are rocks.

You should lay off the estrogen.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”