Loyola Greyhounds 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
laxbro11

Re: Loyola Greyhounds 2021

Post by laxbro11 »

Solid game over all... What i liked was the fact that 20 out of 24 goals were assisted, 54 shots, 24 goals, limited turnovers, came out fast and did not give Bucknell a chance, this is the Loyola that we should be seeing.

Defense was solid as always, it looked like some new faces to the D mid line that were solid...Depth will be the key to a run the second half of the season...Wyers three assist, his best was the caused turnover, wyers picks up ground ball, clears and hits olmstead on the crease. That is Loyola Lacrosse.

Midline still needs improvement, Swindell stepped it up, Bateman and Poitras almost invisible.

Onto Towson... They always give us a good game.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

laxbro11 wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:20 am Solid game over all... What i liked was the fact that 20 out of 24 goals were assisted, 54 shots, 24 goals, limited turnovers, came out fast and did not give Bucknell a chance, this is the Loyola that we should be seeing.

Defense was solid as always, it looked like some new faces to the D mid line that were solid...Depth will be the key to a run the second half of the season...Wyers three assist, his best was the caused turnover, wyers picks up ground ball, clears and hits olmstead on the crease. That is Loyola Lacrosse.

Midline still needs improvement, Swindell stepped it up, Bateman and Poitras almost invisible.

I still lurk here, trying to keep my finger on the pulse of lax, but got tired of the liberal birdbrain bent in the politics section as well as no games due to Covid. Also, I’m just a tad busy with work.

That said, Laxbro11, you spent all week last week here at Fanlax saying in essence the Hounds are awful. You wrote that you wish we had players who could ‘pass and catch’. That the Hounds were useless without Pat. You seemed to have inextricable reservations about our offense. Not to mention nearly every position for the current team.

So yesterday Loyola puts up more goals in one game than we had in any game since (I believe) 2013, including every game Pat played in a Hounds uniform. Against, mind you, a decent team.

Maybe it would be timely to exhibit some earned humility, and publicly apologize to the current players and coaches for saying things about them which were and are asinine?
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

Peter Brown wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:09 am
laxbro11 wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:20 am Solid game over all... What i liked was the fact that 20 out of 24 goals were assisted, 54 shots, 24 goals, limited turnovers, came out fast and did not give Bucknell a chance, this is the Loyola that we should be seeing.

I still lurk here, trying to keep my finger on the pulse of lax, but got tired of the liberal birdbrain bent in the politics section as well as no games due to Covid. Also, I’m just a tad busy with work.

That said, Laxbro11, you spent all week last week here at Fanlax saying in essence the Hounds are awful. You wrote that you wish we had players who could ‘pass and catch’. That the Hounds were useless without Pat. You seemed to have inextricable reservations about our offense. Not to mention nearly every position for the current team.

So yesterday Loyola puts up more goals in one game than we had in any game since (I believe) 2013, including every game Pat played in a Hounds uniform. Against, mind you, a decent team.

Maybe it would be timely to exhibit some earned humility, and publicly apologize to the current players and coaches for saying things about them which were and are asinine?
No need to apologize that Loyola obliterated a very weak Bucknell team. This is something they should do, this is the expectation. They should have had 24 plus against Lafayette.

What have I said that has been asinine? The fact that the offense up until yesterday has been anemic? That the fact that the first middie line has not been producing or creating? What was wrong with those statements? The fact the many have a poor shooting percentage? Again what is wrong with those statements? I have always said it has potential and you need to find the right mix. I still have some reservations. Lets see how we do against Towson, Army, Navy.

Yes i have been vocal, but others have also questioned the efficiency of the offense. Bucknell was no lehigh caliber of a team. I saw progress, but i am not giddy on them yet
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Let’s not get too excited. The Hounds just beat Bucknell 17-5.

Wait. What was that? 17-5 was the halftime score?

:oops:

Anemic. Right.

But bro is right- Having some patience and letting this team gel and develop is much less fun than complaining on the internet.

With his Debbie Downer posts, are we sure he’s not a misplaced Hopkins fan?

:lol:

This team didn’t compete in the fall or preseason and has only been able to practice in smaller groups and among campus-wide shutdowns. More so than any other year- One day, one game at a time this season.

I’m liking what I’m seeing this year. There will still be some bumps, but be patient. We have a good shot at doing something special in May.
cantrelax

Post by cantrelax »

Hounds were lethal yesterday. Announcers were correctly critical of the Bison, particularly their D. They're better than that, but Lindley, Savio and Olmstead are playing like they know the NCAA curtain is closing. All can play pro ball if the choose to. Anyone know who the announcers were? They were spot on in my view.
Laxfan01

Post by Laxfan01 »

Great win yesterday, showing quite promising improvement from the last couple weeks. Think it shows that the guys are there and capable-it’s just a consistency thing. Also very impressive since they are doing it essentially without a freshmen class, based on what I’m hearing. Team has a great mix of older and younger talent.
Turnandrake

Post by Turnandrake »

Good win vs Bucknell. Bucknell had 3 games postponed do to covid and it showed.

Btw 10 man ride not so good for Bucknell
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Turnandrake wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:26 pm Good win vs Bucknell. Bucknell had 3 games postponed do to covid and it showed.

Btw 10 man ride not so good for Bucknell
The 10 man ride was a relic of previous years. Why it continues, each year unabated, I don't know.
Bucknell would catch more people off guard by NOT using it.
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

Peter Brown, i will eat some humble pie after reflecting on my Loyola Jesuit education. Yes i have been harsh on some of the players. But one game against a bad Bucknell team does not solve our issues.

As i have said, hopefully the monkey is off our back and we can play a solid second half of the season.

What do we know about Towson? Lost a tough one on saturday, they are well coached and they always seem to give us fits
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Joe Boylan passed this weekend. I first met him in the late 90s. We worked on several projects together and became friends. We lost contact not long after he retired. Best wishes to his family
GreyingHound

Post by GreyingHound »

cantrelax wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:26 pm Hounds were lethal yesterday. Announcers were correctly critical of the Bison, particularly their D. They're better than that, but Lindley, Savio and Olmstead are playing like they know the NCAA curtain is closing. All can play pro ball if the choose to. Anyone know who the announcers were? They were spot on in my view.
Glenn Clark does the play-by-play and Chris Gunkel is the color analyst. Gunkel played on the 1990 runner-up team with Toomey. He has been covering games for many years, and I love listening to him.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Welcome back Peter B

The thing that I was happy about with the Bucknell game is that they finally scored multiple goals in transition, which is something they were quoted in getting back to doing so in the 2020 article on uslaxmagazine.

Granted, they took advantage of Bucknell's 10 man ride - but if this team likes to play fast, why not take advantage of more unsettled opportunities?

Who knows how many goals they could've scored against the other teams they played if they tried to score more in unsettled possessions off of a fast break?

Another thing i noticed was, i could physically see a difference when Kamish and James were on the field together. Kamish probably has the most shake out of any of the team's offensive players in the little spurt dodges he did. The offense looked better when he was back on the field.

Bateman kind of worries me? One of the volume shooters on the team but he can't seem to can the step downs he takes. Nice to see Swindell score on those big rocket shots.

Yes Loyola beat a not so good bucknell team, however a win is a win. Another week in the books of developing chemistry and offensive personnel.
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

houndace1 wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:25 am Welcome back Peter B

The thing that I was happy about with the Bucknell game is that they finally scored multiple goals in transition, which is something they were quoted in getting back to doing so in the 2020 article on uslaxmagazine.

Granted, they took advantage of Bucknell's 10 man ride - but if this team likes to play fast, why not take advantage of more unsettled opportunities?

Who knows how many goals they could've scored against the other teams they played if they tried to score more in unsettled possessions off of a fast break?

Another thing i noticed was, i could physically see a difference when Kamish and James were on the field together. Kamish probably has the most shake out of any of the team's offensive players in the little spurt dodges he did. The offense looked better when he was back on the field.

Bateman kind of worries me? One of the volume shooters on the team but he can't seem to can the step downs he takes. Nice to see Swindell score on those big rocket shots.

Yes Loyola beat a not so good bucknell team, however a win is a win. Another week in the books of developing chemistry and offensive personnel.
I agree with everything you said... I spoke to a Loyola dad yesterday and he said that Navy is opening Navy Marine Corp Stadium to half capacity, so it looks like i may be able to see a game live. He also said that Towson is only giving Loyola 50 tickets, 1 per player, Towson stadium holds what 15,000? IMO you could easily social distance and begin to allow fans in. The same with Ridley, holds 6000. Could easily socially distance 3000, with no issues
Laxfan#1969

Post by Laxfan#1969 »

laxbro11 wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:46 am
houndace1 wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:25 am Welcome back Peter B

I agree with everything you said... I spoke to a Loyola dad yesterday and he said that Navy is opening Navy Marine Corp Stadium to half capacity, so it looks like i may be able to see a game live. He also said that Towson is only giving Loyola 50 tickets, 1 per player, Towson stadium holds what 15,000? IMO you could easily social distance and begin to allow fans in. The same with Ridley, holds 6000. Could easily socially distance 3000, with no issues
I think a lot of people are hoping to go to the Navy game based on the capacity rules...one note, that game will also be on CBSSN, which is national TV on most cable or dish packages...the next game v Army is also on CBSSN national TV...so after this week, that's two games back to back on national broadcasts...again for what it's worth...

Towson will be a tough game, but I think Loyola might (I say might) be hitting a stride here as we slide into April...very interested to see how they play at Towson on Saturday...a big month of April ahead for this team if they want to get into the field...gonna have to be almost perfect...and they might just have to be perfect.

I also agree with everything Houndace says...after Olmstead and Lindley, you keep James and Kamish on the field as much as possible, period...Swindel seems to be finding his stroke and then after that, you find the hot hand(s) and rotate them in through the box on line 2...

Hope they can build off of the Bucknell game and keep moving forward...
NovaHound

Post by NovaHound »

Agree with you #1969. Any game from here on out will be tough and don't overlook Towson. Gonna have to get all of the breaks and play flawlessly to punch the ticket. Will be interesting to see how Toomey motivates his team to do that.

I'm feeling a bit more confident in the offense and I haven't felt that way since 2019. So far Kamish has 6 points in just 2 games played. Swindell did find his stroke against Bucknell and Hounds need that. Will also be looking for production from Seay, Bateman, and Poitras. And I'm not forgetting Seth Higgins, the freshman. I believe he had to miss a game due to COVID lockdown. Will be good to have him back.

Agree with Houndace - let the Poles run and gun. Wyers already has 4 assists and McNulty has something like 6 points. And if I recall the defense is on the cusp of the Top Ten in creating turnovers. That's fairly impressive.

PS - keep Savio healthy...
GreyingHound

Post by GreyingHound »

Like everyone else, I enjoyed seeing the Hounds torch a team that has beaten us 2 of the last 3 times we've played them. That said, the Bucknell team we played last week is not the same caliber as years past. As we've beaten to death, their 10-man ride was flat-out inept, and it gave us numerous scoring opportunities. It's not the case that we didn't try to score in transition against better opponents, like Lehigh, it's that those teams were far more athletic and disciplined and didn't allow us the opportunities.

We definitely should not underestimate Towson, as they are much improved over their abysmal 0-6 showing in 2020. I caught their season-opener against Virginia, and they definitely have some potential. And I didn't see the game, but apparently they led #18 Delaware the entire way, and lost in OT. We will need to take this game seriously. And as others have said, it only gets tougher from here. Buckle up, it should be fun!
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

If you watched SU and Duke last night, the way both teams moved the ball and created offense... This is what i would like to see from Loyola, the ball does not stay in a stick for longer than a second or so.

Plus Scanlon would make a huge difference on this team...
GreyingHound

Post by GreyingHound »

laxbro11 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:40 am If you watched SU and Duke last night, the way both teams moved the ball and created offense... This is what i would like to see from Loyola, the ball does not stay in a stick for longer than a second or so.

Watched the game. Had the exact same thoughts.

That was Scanlan's best game of the season. Duke was scary in the first quarter. Not sure what changed to make it a close game in the second half, especially with Duke dominating faceoffs, aside from Porter making amazing saves in cage.
Laxfan#1969

Post by Laxfan#1969 »

GreyingHound wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:13 pm
laxbro11 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:40 am If you watched SU and Duke last night, the way both teams moved the ball and created offense... This is what i would like to see from Loyola, the ball does not stay in a stick for longer than a second or so.

That was Scanlan's best game of the season. Duke was scary in the first quarter. Not sure what changed to make it a close game in the second half, especially with Duke dominating faceoffs, aside from Porter making amazing saves in cage.
Im not overly impressed with Syracuse or Scanlan...How did they do against Army? Syracuse is solid and their best three players are on their first midfield...Duke is very good...Maryland is the best team in the country right now...better on offense, and way better on defense...lots of talk about the ACC...I'd take Maryland over either of Duke or Syracuse...

I'm interested in the kids that are Greyhounds...Towson will be tough on Saturday...I'm looking forward to seeing if we get better...that's what matters...get better in all phases now that we have key guys back and healthy...

As far as I'm concerned, the season starts vs Towson...then we are in April...need the Hounds to go on a run...all of our opportunity is right in front of this team...

I'm looking forward to seeing what happens
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

GreyingHound wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:13 pm

What changed in the Duke/Su game IMO was offensively Duke went all Sowers and the rest of the team stood and watched. They were not moving the ball as a unit . Earlier everyone was involved they kept SU guessing. Plus Porter did make some saves. Scanlan must be thinking , wow Spencer was a hell of a distributor! That pie he is dealing with currently is much bigger and doesn’t get the touches he did at Loyola

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”