Ivy League 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
HopFan16

Re: Ivy League 2021

Post by HopFan16 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:34 am
boredatwork wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:22 am https://www.uslaxmagazine.com/college/m ... g-march-27

UPenn is good to go
Excellent. I am happy for the returning seniors. One last opportunity to play.
Didn't the Ivy League grant current seniors the option to play next year as grad students as a one time thing?

For the underclassmen—are they going to want to lose an entire year of eligibility for just a couple of meaningless games? (Meaningless in the sense that it's not going to qualify as a real season in terms of playoff eligibility and what not—not meaningless in the broader sense...obviously these games mean something to the players/their families.)
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

Who are they going to play? The only schools within 40 miles of Penn are Drexel and Villanova and some D3 schools. Looks like the Drexel game scheduled for Saturday is off, and with them diving into league play it will be difficult to find someone to play.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:37 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:34 am
boredatwork wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:22 am https://www.uslaxmagazine.com/college/m ... g-march-27

UPenn is good to go
Excellent. I am happy for the returning seniors. One last opportunity to play.
Didn't the Ivy League grant current seniors the option to play next year as grad students as a one time thing?

For the underclassmen—are they going to want to lose an entire year of eligibility for just a couple of meaningless games? (Meaningless in the sense that it's not going to qualify as a real season in terms of playoff eligibility and what not—not meaningless in the broader sense...obviously these games mean something to the players/their families.)
There are returning seniors at Penn, Brown and Cornell. I am not sure about Dartmouth. Those guys are done with Ivy League competition after this season. Graduate school is an option but most of those decisions have already been made at some schools and athletes aren’t going to be moved to the front of the line. So some athletes may continue as graduate students, but I doubt that there will be very many. HPY have very little if any junior and seniors enrolled this semester.

The eligibility issue is something I have wondered about. Is it going to be worth it for freshmen? Returning players are already carrying an extra year of eligibility for competition outside of the Ivy League. The freshman issue is dicey. How many incoming freshmen are likely to want to play a 5th year or have the opportunity to play a 5th year? I would prefer the option but not sure how many players in a class that it will make a difference for? 4 maybe?
“I wish you would!”
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

Brown is looking to play games this Spring!
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Chris Jastrzembski tweet

Also big: NCAA Division I Council approved a waiver yesterday that Ivy League players who compete this spring will not use a year of eligibility if they play in less than 30% of the maximum permissible contests in their sport and doesn't compete in the postseason.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Looks like the Ivies are red shirting now, eh?
Clusterphuk of a conference this year.
Typical Lax Dad

DMac wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:44 am Looks like the Ivies are red shirting now, eh?
Clusterphuk of a conference this year.
In what way is it an Ivy League red shirt year?
“I wish you would!”
DMac

Post by DMac »

Play this year but get an extra year of eligibility, how's that different than red shirting?
Typical Lax Dad

DMac wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:04 pm Play this year but get an extra year of eligibility, how's that different than red shirting?
I believe that’s NCAA eligibility not Ivy League eligibility. Sort of like last season when NCAA granted everyone an extra year. The only way to preserve eligibility for Ivy League is by withdrawing unless I have something wrong (which is possible).

Every D1 basketball player was granted an extra year of NCAA eligibility this season...theoretically, every senior player can play again...including those that win the NCAA tournament this season.
Last edited by Typical Lax Dad on Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“I wish you would!”
boredatwork

Post by boredatwork »

xxxxxxx wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:45 am Who are they going to play? The only schools within 40 miles of Penn are Drexel and Villanova and some D3 schools. Looks like the Drexel game scheduled for Saturday is off, and with them diving into league play it will be difficult to find someone to play.
Not sure what other schools restrictions are, however you do have Drexel, Villanova, St. Joes, and Delaware is 40.7 miles away so who knows what they would rule on that one.

I think those kids/coaches will take any opportunities they get
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

boredatwork wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:37 pm
xxxxxxx wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:45 am Who are they going to play? The only schools within 40 miles of Penn are Drexel and Villanova and some D3 schools. Looks like the Drexel game scheduled for Saturday is off, and with them diving into league play it will be difficult to find someone to play.
Not sure what other schools restrictions are, however you do have Drexel, Villanova, St. Joes, and Delaware is 40.7 miles away so who knows what they would rule on that one.

I think those kids/coaches will take any opportunities they get
I hope for the kids sake they get some games but it's going to be tough with conference play going on, maybe some of those teams will be interested in a mid week game.
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

UPenn is good to go
Sweet.

Now, who wants to play the Quakes? Should be helpful to RPI for borderline tournament hopefuls, so maybe Army, Navy, etc.?

At a location within 40 miles of each, of course...
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

AreaLax wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:41 am Chris Jastrzembski tweet

Also big: NCAA Division I Council approved a waiver yesterday that Ivy League players who compete this spring will not use a year of eligibility if they play in less than 30% of the maximum permissible contests in their sport and doesn't compete in the postseason.
Wow! Though you would have to really parse the wording here. What do they mean by maximum permissible contests? Maximum permissible across lacrosse or for that player's specific team (which would be dictated by how many games they are playing)?
Typical Lax Dad

pcowlax wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:38 pm
AreaLax wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:41 am Chris Jastrzembski tweet

Wow! Though you would have to really parse the wording here. What do they mean by maximum permissible contests? Maximum permissible across lacrosse or for that player's specific team (which would be dictated by how many games they are playing)?
DII maximum permissible contests for lacrosse is 13 this year. Not sure what it is for DI this year.
“I wish you would!”
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

That is great for them but if they actually want to pursue an extra year of "real" lacrosse, the vast majority will need to transfer as staying on for an extra year at one of the Ivy grad schools is not so simple a matter as it is at many other schools.
Typical Lax Dad

pcowlax wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:03 pm That is great for them but if they actually want to pursue an extra year of "real" lacrosse, the vast majority will need to transfer as staying on for an extra year at one of the Ivy grad schools is not so simple a matter as it is at many other schools.
Yes. That hasn’t changed. Freshmen won’t burn a year of NCAA eligibility is probably the only take away. Good for them. A handful will use it. Most will be done with the sport after their senior year and will move into the job market. That’s true for most college athletes. Many will be tired of the grind after 4 years.
“I wish you would!”
Ezra White

Post by Ezra White »

Does anyone know how they came up with the 40-mile limit?

Is it driving mileage or as the crow flies? From exactly where does one begin measuring? (E.g., for Harvard do you start at Harvard Yard, or do you cross the river to the B-School or Med Schools? For Cornell do you start at downtown Ithaca, the Arts Quad, or the Ornithology Lab?) For multicampus schools, can you choose any campus for your 40 mi? (E.g., according to Google Maps, Yale is 79.5 mi. from Manhattan; if Cornell starts from its NY Tech campus and the two teams meet halfway, is this legal?) Does it take into account how well individual schools have done at preventing COVID-19 among their student bodies? Is there some study of COVID-19 showing that its infectiousness increases when people travel more than 40 miles?

More substantively, I don't see the rationale. It's too far to prevent the team from traveling together on a bus. It's too short to require a visiting team to stay overnight. It disadvantages schools like Cornell and Dartmouth, which are located in less densely settled areas. (e.g., Hobart is 46.9 mi, Syracuse is 57 mi, and Colgate is 66.2 mi from Ithaca unless you start at the Ornithology Lab, in which case 'Gate is only 61.8 mi.)
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Science!
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

we've been thru this, though you may have missed.
it's science.

and the ivies don't have to play sports, different mission.

plus... community.

i think that's most of it.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

Plus St. Joe's, maybe Princeton and UDel, especially if some neutral site is half-way.
Rutgers and PSU are probably more than 40 miles, and they are B1G only anyway.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”