UTampa

D2 Mens Lacrosse
WhiteCarrera

Re: UTampa

Post by WhiteCarrera »

Tumbleweedlax wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:08 pm UT will be at the head of the class for the foreseeable future.
I would be confident in saying they wont lose a game this year and probably only a few over the next 3 years.
UT Natl champs 2021, 2022 and 2023.
You may be right :lol:
And I like how you took six months to work on that comeback. BTW - wake me up next time Tampa beats a ranked team. It’ll be two more months before they even PLAY a ranked team, so forgive me if I’m not paying too much attention.
It's either a thoughtful comment or smartass sarcasm. Learn to recognize the difference.
DQKing

Post by DQKing »

Looking at their roster and numbers: 63 on the roster, 16 transfers and only 13 freshman.
Seems like a different mentality than other D2 schools with huge numbers that over recruit freshman and then have a drop off year over year.
Just interesting, not really making a comment if it's good or bad.
Lacrossehead17

Post by Lacrossehead17 »

WhiteCarrera wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:52 pm
Tumbleweedlax wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:08 pm UT will be at the head of the class for the foreseeable future.
I would be confident in saying they wont lose a game this year and probably only a few over the next 3 years.
And I like how you took six months to work on that comeback. BTW - wake me up next time Tampa beats a ranked team. It’ll be two more months before they even PLAY a ranked team, so forgive me if I’m not paying too much attention.
I wouldn't just say outright that UT will win the next 3 championships, multiple teams have a legitimate reason or shot to win. That's why we play the game :D
jakester

Post by jakester »

Lacrossehead17 wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:07 am
I wouldn't just say outright that UT will win the next 3 championships, multiple teams have a legitimate reason or shot to win. That's why we play the game :D

I'll go out on a limb here and say UT will not make the NCAA playoff round. They can go 10-0 this year, but the SSC conference is all non-ranked teams. (except UT for now based on reputation only IMO). When it comes to selection time there are many more south teams with better SOS, OC and stronger wins against ranked appointments than UT (LR, UMO, Wingate, Limestone, Lindenwood etc).
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

jakester wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:39 am
Lacrossehead17 wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:07 am

I'll go out on a limb here and say UT will not make the NCAA playoff round. They can go 10-0 this year, but the SSC conference is all non-ranked teams. (except UT for now based on reputation only IMO). When it comes to selection time there are many more south teams with better SOS, OC and stronger wins against ranked appointments than UT (LR, UMO, Wingate, Limestone, Lindenwood etc).
I think they have a good chance if they either win out, or only lose one. They have not issued this year's pre-championship manual, but from the one for last year:
Required Selection Criteria.

The following required criteria shall be employed by a governing sports committee in selecting participants for NCAA championships competition [Bylaw 31.3.3; Criteria for Selection of Participants]:

●Availability of student-athletes. (normally not an issue)
●Application of nullification. (only a factor if using ineligible players)
●Division II in-region winning percentage.
●Division II winning percentage. (will be the same as criteria above since playing only in conf. but counts again)
●Division II strength of schedule (opponents’ average winning percentage and opponents’ opponents’ average winning percentage). (this one could hurt them as someone has to lose in conference as well as win)
●Division II head-to-head competition. (will not apply except vs. other conference opponents)
●Results versus Division II common opponents. (same comment as above)

Sport-Specific Selection Criteria: (all of these criteria could hurt them here)
●Division II results versus teams with a winning record.
●In-region strength of schedule (opponents’ average winning percentage and opponents’ opponents’ average winning percentage).
●In-region Ratings Percentage Index (RPI).

Additionally, input is provided by regional advisory committees for consideration by the Division II Men’s Lacrosse Committee. A Division II governing sports committee must contact a regional advisory committee before making its final selection of teams if the committee selection differs from the regional advisory committee’s. Coaches’ polls and/or any other outside polls or rankings are not used by the Division II Men’s Lacrosse Committee for selection purposes. All Division II games, including provisional and conference tournament games, will be used for selections.
I have listed some comments by me in color...
WhiteCarrera

Post by WhiteCarrera »

Red - good info (as always).

It'll be interesting. Can you imagine if they end up 10-0, ranked #1 in polls, but need intangible considerations to make the playoffs?
It's either a thoughtful comment or smartass sarcasm. Learn to recognize the difference.
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

WhiteCarrera wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:33 pm Red - good info (as always).

It'll be interesting. Can you imagine if they end up 10-0, ranked #1 in polls, but need intangible considerations to make the playoffs?
I expect that if they are undefeated they are in.

They may not get the #1 seed with no games against tough OOC opponents.

But the same process will hold for NE10, and GMAC, which are also in conference only for the season. There, however, you have more than one good team so they will have some losses likely for all teams.
WhiteCarrera

Post by WhiteCarrera »

GLVC is also conference only.
bmorelax

Post by bmorelax »

GMAC is playing out of conference games
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

bmorelax wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:22 pm GMAC is playing out of conference games
Sorry, I got them confused. Thanks for the correction.
Tumbleweedlax

Post by Tumbleweedlax »

Drink up 🍺
WhiteCarrera

Post by WhiteCarrera »

Enjoy your beer. The sun will come up tomorrow, and Tampa will win their conference -- no one disagrees on either of those.
When they play a relevant team, we'll pay attention.
JBFortunato

Post by JBFortunato »

WhiteCarrera wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:57 pm Enjoy your beer. The sun will come up tomorrow, and Tampa will win their conference -- no one disagrees on either of those.
I'm no fan of Tampa, but with Limestone clearly having a down year I don't see any team out there that could stand in the way of UT's first natty in 2021. That roster is ludicrous. I don't even think they'll have a close game this season, despite being in a very competitive conference.
Tumbleweedlax

Post by Tumbleweedlax »

What's this we stuff. .. I don't see anybody else agreeing with you. You must have a mouse in your pocket And by the way the beer is for you since you can remember when you had your 1st one. im simply rying to make it memorable for u.
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

JBFortunato wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:51 pm
WhiteCarrera wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:57 pm Enjoy your beer. The sun will come up tomorrow, and Tampa will win their conference -- no one disagrees on either of those.
I'm no fan of Tampa, but with Limestone clearly having a down year I don't see any team out there that could stand in the way of UT's first natty in 2021. That roster is ludicrous. I don't even think they'll have a close game this season, despite being in a very competitive conference.
But as always, you have a coaching staff that seems to get less out of all those names than you might expect. I think LR, Le Moyne, and Mercyhurst all can be competitive with Tampa...
Laxwarrior

Post by Laxwarrior »

JBFortunato wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:51 pm
Lenoir Rhyne could be the one. in 2018 when Limestone was down, Tampa didn't make the semi final game.
reeder477

Post by reeder477 »

Wingate should be in the conversation as well - April 7th LR vs. WIngate will be a good one
WhiteCarrera

Post by WhiteCarrera »

Ssshhhhhh - you guys better be careful, suggesting that anyone might compete with Tampa. :lol:
WhiteCarrera

Post by WhiteCarrera »

Hey Tumbleweed - Tampa plays Florida Southern tonight in what will be the Mocs' first game. Go ahead and chill another beer!
I'll even have one with you (hey, the day ends in "y" and there's lacrosse being played -- reason enough for me)!
Tumbleweedlax

Post by Tumbleweedlax »

Well,
That would be your 3rd Beer WC.. go ahead enjoy. You must be getting a bit tipsy .. Lets see if we can " CHEERS " again tomorrow. Me you and the mouse..

Return to “D2 MENS LACROSSE”