Michigan 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
HopFan16

Re: Michigan 2021

Post by HopFan16 »

AreaLax wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:05 am
gymman1031 wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:57 am Does anyone know if spectators will be allowed at Michigan-Penn State today?
According to their site no public access for the game. Bet parents are allowed
Only parents are allowed at all Big Ten games right now. Conference-wide rule, even in states where general attendance is permitted. Won’t see the public at any Big Ten game no matter where it is until that rule changes.
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

Nice win.
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

An important win for the Wolverines. Congrats!!
Comeonman

Post by Comeonman »

Not seeing any Mack or Buckanavich stats. What gives?
UMLaxfan

Post by UMLaxfan »

Seems as if UM offense is not firing on all cylinders yet like they were at the end of last year. Still many new faces this year and they are still learning to play together. Bucky and Mack are still on the field, but haven’t made much on the point contribution-side yet this season. We need everyone to contribute, and hopefully they will start to get in sync!!!
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

I could be way off. But, while I am not predicting this to happen, a Michigan upset of Rutgers wouldn't surprise me. The Wolverines are probably better than their record shows, and they are probably salivating at the opportunity to possibly player the spoiler regarding the Scarlet Knights' postseason hopes.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

gymman1031 wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:58 am I could be way off. But, while I am not predicting this to happen, a Michigan upset of Rutgers wouldn't surprise me. The Wolverines are probably better than their record shows, and they are probably salivating at the opportunity to possibly player the spoiler regarding the Scarlet Knights' postseason hopes.
Haven’t you been predicting Michigan going back a few years into LP which would make it like at least 6-7yrs of this now with not even a .500 record to show for it?
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

If the answer to this is obvious like injury I apologize but what has happened with Buckanavage this year? Has he been benched? Dog house because he is in portal? He has been their best offensive threat for a few years, how on a team that is not exactly lighting it up is he not scoring?
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:25 am
gymman1031 wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:58 am I could be way off. But, while I am not predicting this to happen, a Michigan upset of Rutgers wouldn't surprise me. The Wolverines are probably better than their record shows, and they are probably salivating at the opportunity to possibly player the spoiler regarding the Scarlet Knights' postseason hopes.
Haven’t you been predicting Michigan going back a few years into LP which would make it like at least 6-7yrs of this now with not even a .500 record to show for it?
Yes, I sure have. And I still do. There is still hope for Coach Conry. He has recruited great, and some many of the regular players are either freshman or sophomores. Let’s see what happens next year(his fifth) and beyond, when most of the talent will be his.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Yeah but there has to be a timeframe. If we get 10yrs in, 15yrs in and they’re still not breaking .500 isn’t it a diluted prediction?
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:32 pm Yeah but there has to be a timeframe. If we get 10yrs in, 15yrs in and they’re still not breaking .500 isn’t it a diluted prediction?
Actually, they had winning records(8-7) in both 2017 and 2018. I still think they will get there with the right coach. They have too much to offer to not eventually get there.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Splitting hairs. It’s just not that simple. Took OSU and PSU decades to break through.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:57 pm Splitting hairs. It’s just not that simple. Took OSU and PSU decades to break through.
The talent on offense is clearly there and they’ve had some good wins last few years but the defense, which is supposed to be Conry’s calling card, has routinely just been Not Good.

I think the fact they’ve recruited so well under him, at least on offense, gives you optimism that with the right coach they can be successful but jury is absolutely still out as to whether he’s the right coach.

Next year will probably be the revealer. Impossible to predict what teams will look like right now but lot of B1G teams could be losing some great seniors. Door will be open for a younger Michigan team to do something more than 1 win out of 5
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

I mean we will see but after 6-8yrs or more of predictions of how it sells itself, should be easy and success is guaranteed I just wonder if folks should be sitting back and waiting to see something, anything, before keeping on that train. Otherwise there’s no achievement in having made the claim they will get there.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:53 pm I mean we will see but after 6-8yrs or more of predictions of how it sells itself, should be easy and success is guaranteed I just wonder if folks should be sitting back and waiting to see something, anything, before keeping on that train. Otherwise there’s no achievement in having made the claim they will get there.
Success is guaranteed nowhere as Hopkins is showing right now. But there are plenty of +’s to the program that mean they should have expectations of doing better than they are IMO. But that obviously doesn’t mean it’s gonna happen
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Don't forget that Kevin Warne, ironically like Conry, was the DC at Maryland before taking over at Georgetown. And, through his first five years, he didn't do very much. In fact, the Hoyas really struggled in his fourth and fifth years. However, he recruited great, and, by the sixth season, it was his talent. And, that year, G-Town broke through, won the Big East Tournament, and made the postseason for the first time in years. Will we see deja vu with Conry in Ann Arbor? No guarantees. Once again, starting next year(Conry's fifth), much more of the talent will be his.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

He was 10-6 in his third year and took over a program in the decline with what was deemed to be a bit too confident a type of player where he felt he needed to turn the entire roster over. And lost a top offensive player who transferred to UNC.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:21 pm He was 10-6 in his third year and took over a program in the decline with what was deemed to be a bit too confident a type of player where he felt he needed to turn the entire roster over. And lost a top offensive player who transferred to UNC.
They did win like 2 games in Year 4 though. I mean, full scale worst season in decades type of stuff. And then 4 games in Year 5. There were absolutely people who thought he was going to get fired very soon after that and was a total bust. Finally getting the recruiting going and then one awesome assistant hire changed things.

Not saying Conry is going to do something similar; I'm as skeptical as you are. But it was as bad as it could get for Warne there in 16-17
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Down by 1 to Rutgers in the 3rd (on ESPNU).
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

jrn19 wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:09 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:21 pm He was 10-6 in his third year and took over a program in the decline with what was deemed to be a bit too confident a type of player where he felt he needed to turn the entire roster over. And lost a top offensive player who transferred to UNC.
They did win like 2 games in Year 4 though. I mean, full scale worst season in decades type of stuff. And then 4 games in Year 5. There were absolutely people who thought he was going to get fired very soon after that and was a total bust. Finally getting the recruiting going and then one awesome assistant hire changed things.

Not saying Conry is going to do something similar; I'm as skeptical as you are. But it was as bad as it could get for Warne there in 16-17
(Didn’t they have a goalie issue and the aforementioned transfer to UNC plus some runoff) Right or wrong Warne was determined to blow up what Urick left. The third year is a surprise but a good coach taking over something in place, as Michigan did,should be able to pull a random 9-10 win season out of his a** even while restructuring a program in your image. Comparing Conry to Warne now is a disservice to good coaches who have actually built something. Like suggesting three weeks or so ago that Gilardi is the only reason Nadelen was successful.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”