that would be ya'll I think.
youzze

where I hail from
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
Matnum PI

Re: D1 Men Rankings

Post by Matnum PI »

For those that are interested, the Forum Poll: viewtopic.php?f=290&t=1692&start=380.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

HooDat wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:51 am Cluster 1: UNC / Duke / UMD
Cluster 2: GT / Cuse
Cluster 3: Rutgers / Army / ND / UVA
Cluster 4: Denver / Lehigh
Cluster 5: Loyola / Umass / OSU / Hop
Cluster 6: Navy / PSU / DE / VT / Hofstra
This is pre-Denver beating G-town (I believe) and... i can't help but smile every time I see certain teams with a better brand than other teams get a slight boost in the polls.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Might want to skip Cluster 2 and expand Cluster 3.
Gorilla Fan

Post by Gorilla Fan »

Maryland is the best team. They most likely will go undefeated and will be regarded as one of the all time great teams. Pains me to say it. They pass the eyeball test.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

Gorilla Fan wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:48 pm Maryland is the best team. They most likely will go undefeated and will be regarded as one of the all time great teams. Pains me to say it. They pass the eyeball test.
Maryland may well take the crown. But the winner of this Thursday's game of Duke v. Cuse may have a lot to say about that. We're lucky to have this many really good teams in this weird season. Too bad there isn't more ooc games.
Last edited by oldbartman on Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Gorilla Fan wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:48 pm Maryland is the best team. They most likely will go undefeated and will be regarded as one of the all time great teams. Pains me to say it. They pass the eyeball test.
They could be the best this year, obviously in single elimination I wouldn’t rule out all but UVA in the ACC or even 1-2 “wild cards“ like Lehigh/Army.

All this said, if 2006 UVA isn’t considered an all time best I doubt any winner, even a perfect record, would be treated as such. And while they will ride out the string on how tough the Big Ten is this year I’m not sure of anyone other than UMD at this point, including Rutgers since they skyrocketed for beating PSU,Hop and OSU. And toss in no IVYs and I think no one can be heralded historically. Fair or not.

Will be interesting to see how
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
TAV

Post by TAV »

As a Carolina Fan, all I can say is 2016.

This year, I think Maryland would have a tough time against ANY ACC team and that includes ND.

An ACC team will win it all, hopefully UNC, but I could make a good case for any of them; the Big 10 doesn’t compare to the competition of the ACC. Maryland’s play is predicable - same thing, year in and year out.

Who cares about undefeated in the regular season. @ 10-6 Carolina didn’t have a chance in 2016.

I think Duke is probably the most complete team; we’ll see April 1st.

At this level, there’s always an X Factor come May, we’ll see who’s on a roll then.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

TAV wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:37 am

This year, I think Maryland would have a tough time against ANY ACC team and that includes ND.

An ACC team will win it all, hopefully UNC, but I could make a good case for any of them; the Big 10 doesn’t compare to the competition of the ACC. Maryland’s play is predicable - same thing, year in and year out.

Who cares about undefeated in the regular season. @ 10-6 Carolina didn’t have a chance in 2016.

At this level, there’s always an X Factor come May, we’ll see who’s on a roll then.
“Maryland’s play is predictable - same thing, year in and year out”

Is that predictability making 7 of the last 9 Final Fours, 5 of the last 9 Championship Games, being a #1 seed in 3 of the last 4 tournaments? I suppose that is more predictable than UNC who hasn’t even made the tournament since 2017.
TAV

Post by TAV »

jrn19 wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:08 am

Is that predictability making 7 of the last 9 Final Fours, 5 of the last 9 Championship Games, being a #1 seed in 3 of the last 4 tournaments? I suppose that is more predictable than UNC who hasn’t even made the tournament since 2017.
I knew that response was coming. That have a good program, no doubt. The play is boring, just my opinion. If they were still in the ACC, I think their record would be a bit less. They’ve won 1 NC in the last 35 years; Carolina has won? 3-4-5? I forget. Making it too the FF is one thing, actually win it is another. Both programs have a rich history and are among the historic “elite” lacrosse programs...I just prefer Carolina style of play and being ACC, I’d prefer that conference win the NC. No big deal. I will say that Tillman is a class act. We’ll see how it all shakes out...
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

TAV wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:06 pm

I knew that response was coming. That have a good program, no doubt. The play is boring, just my opinion. If they were still in the ACC, I think their record would be a bit less. They’ve won 1 NC in the last 35 years; Carolina has won? 3-4-5? I forget. Making it too the FF is one thing, actually win it is another. Both programs have a rich history and are among the historic “elite” lacrosse programs...I just prefer Carolina style of play and being ACC, I’d prefer that conference win the NC. No big deal. I will say that Tillman is a class act. We’ll see how it all shakes out...
Carolina has 1 Final Four since like 1993. Like if you’re gonna do the history thing let’s not be silly here.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Picking 35yrs is pretty lame and in fact you wouldn’t count 1986 as in 2021 that would actually be 36 years ago now....why not go 30 where UNC has one title, exactly the same as UMD and UNC has underperformed its talent more in the Haus & Breschi era than Cottle ever did at UMD. The UNC ball stroking is strong in you. I don’t get it, take away that one miraculous title and UNC has been the single biggest underperformer of major conference programs this millenia. Including ND, Mich and PSU in that based on what reasonable expectations should have been.

UNc has made one final four since 1993...only Navy and Cornell folks should talk less than UNC folks amongst this set of programs.
Last edited by Farfromgeneva on Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

jrn19 wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:10 pm

Carolina has 1 Final Four since like 1993. Like if you’re gonna do the history thing let’s not be silly here.
He picked 35yrs thinking he could count 1986 which scrapes 3 titles and then play dumb and go “what like 3-5 titles over this arbitrary span I chose for heuristic purposes”. But to your point, take away 1986 (36yrs ago in spring season of ‘21) and 1991 (31yrs now) you’ve got a final four in 1993, no playoffs from 1999 until 2004, out in 05-06, first round losses in 2008, 11-12 and no playoffs in 2018-2019. How many IL #1 classes in there too?
TAV

Post by TAV »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:18 pm

He picked 35yrs thinking he could count 1986 which scrapes 3 titles and then play dumb and go “what like 3-5 titles over this arbitrary span I chose for heuristic purposes”. But to your point, take away 1986 (36yrs ago in spring season of ‘21) and 1991 (31yrs now) you’ve got a final four in 1993, no playoffs from 1999 until 2004, out in 05-06, first round losses in 2008, 11-12 and no playoffs in 2018-2019. How many IL #1 classes in there too?
Ok. You win. Maryland is everything. I get it.

I’ll root for Carolina and other ACC teams and you can take the field.

It’s just lacrosse, man. Obviously we both enjoy the game - so I support a pretty decent program and you do too.

I think it’s all a nice little distraction for both of us as this Country continues it’s managed decline.

In the grand scheme, it all isn’t that big a deal.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

TAV wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:47 pm

It’s just lacrosse, man. Obviously we both enjoy the game - so I support a pretty decent program and you do too.

I think it’s all a nice little distraction for both of us as this Country continues it’s managed decline.

No one said Maryland is everything. You’re the one who started the dumb Maryland vs ACC thing by saying Maryland is “predictable” and the “same thing” every year and that’s why the ACC would win the title

Personally if I were a Carolina fan I can’t imagine rooting for the ACC to win a title if the Heels didnt. If Maryland doesn’t win the title I could not care less if Rutgers won it or if Hopkins got in that they won it. I’m rooting for my team not the conference
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

TAV wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:47 pm

Well after you drop “hobart is no fun anymore and can’t compete in D1”, then just blindly toss a GTown is overrated over there and then UMD is boring while always over inflating UNCa accomplishments in the same breath expect some feedback. A pattern has emerged.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

ok, but.... this started as an "all-time team" thing.

that surely shouldn't, and won't unchallenged, happen with umd playing their b1g only schedule.

more importantly, it could come down to who is "beat up" vs a umd team who "hasn't been tested in big moments" maybe. bring your narratives.
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

My question, will Hopkins and Penn State still be in the top 20? I won’t be shocked if one of them is.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

The original point was worth making; that, while all-time great team lists are generally populated by undefeated teams, a talented team can catch fire just at the right time, and claim a title. In addition to the 10-6 Carolina team, there was the 9-5 UVA team which won having lost two AA middies mid-season.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

wgdsr wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:49 pm ok, but.... this started as an "all-time team" thing.

that surely shouldn't, and won't unchallenged, happen with umd playing their b1g only schedule.

more importantly, it could come down to who is "beat up" vs a umd team who "hasn't been tested in big moments" maybe. bring your narratives.
I posted previously that no one would get that moniker this year if UVA isn’t going to for 2006. Fair or not and I don’t think any of this years teams would be all time anyway.

But that’s not what was in response most recently it was UMD couldn’t handle the ACC which I don’t know, they’d be the stylistic outlier, ND hasn’t been that grind it ou type in a good while probably since they lost in the Final to Duke and began getting access to more “sexy”offensive players 8-10yrs ago. I also think the BigTen is pretty overrated this year but you could have an all time team, though not without Ivy participation IMO, if they ripped through the playoffs like Brock Lesnar.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”