Hobart 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
SMAIN

Re: Hobart 2021

Post by SMAIN »

I'm looking for excuses.... long bus ride and the team never got their legs? Still playing in the bubble? Hope not, a big difference between in and outside.
shoothi

Post by shoothi »

It's a victory be happy!
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Step closer to NEC tourney if frustrating.

We are actually 37.5% through the 8 game season, > 1/3...

Bright spots:

Shea north of 70% and a 34/4 GB/TO ratio so we’re doing ok on FO

Dattellas w 7 goals on 67% shooting

Simas has the best game of his career today and is 6,1,7 now after being 4,1 last year and, more importantly, is 10/31 over his last 8 games since the start of 2020 after being 3/34 in 2019.

Bach with 2 today and three total. Durkin will get just and had a good look today.

Archer has stepped up in every way as leader on offense.

Holtby except Q1 of LIU has been very good. Still struggles with shots over each shoulder it seems.

Synnott must not have likes Ted Baker talking about Dan Ryan’s skill with a long stick because he’s looked like Rabil twice in last two games.

Baltzer has played really well. Can’t fault a kid for giving 100lbs on a matchup. Otherwise he’s been the best wing I’ve seen in a while.

Areas for improvement:

Madonna and Knox haven’t hit their stride yet and Mott is just back.

Grooms having a tough start but think he will be ok.

Team defense has tons of room for improvement. I know we have the talent and experience to be better and today shut MSM down for near 20min with close to half their goals coming from loose balls or unsettled situations.

Turnovers. Just no bueno.

Man Up. If someone told you we would’ve been 1/14 man up in the two MSM games would you have thought we’d win both?

Health, rebuilding depth, scaling up confidence for many younger guys. Didn’t see Barthelme, he’s still talented so hope he doesn’t get buried which can happen but shouldn’t here IMO. Seems like we’re still figuring out how to play as a team and forgot graduated seniors, I’d imagine we are different with Herlihy, Romm and Delaney. Spreading out a defenses attention has allowed some of our younger guys to open it up and get to their game this level but we haven’t had that ability to let it fly like last two years where we had some huge blowouts to start the season (8-1 and 4-1 starts with numerous games over by halftime and benches unloaded).

Today was actually our best shooting game at 13/42 which is crazy when you see 19 TOs and 1/10 man up. Just need to put up more quality volume on cage
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
TopShelf585

Post by TopShelf585 »

Winning ugly is better than losing pretty.
Ketch

Post by Ketch »

TopShelf585 wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:28 pm Winning ugly is better than losing pretty.
That‘s for sure! It was a pretty ugly game, but the boys did what they needed to do and didn‘t panic at the end. Still a lot of room for improvement, but I think we‘ve got it in us. Truly impressed by Dattelas and Bach stepping up to the plate and delivering.

I came to the party late today. Who started on attack in place of Barthelme? Seems like I saw Madonna hanging out there and Grooms showing up on midfield at some point. Should I be rubbing my eyes? That would really be shaking things up offensively. Also, it‘s become pretty clear that teams are going to go all out to shut down Know and Archer and see if they can get the rest of the team to beat them. Today, that was the case. Great for the team to step up as a whole.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

Take the "W". Since when did clearing become an adventure. We were 19-23. Sad part is, we coughed it up 3 times after "clearing". Almost seemed panicked when trying to clear. EMO... Focus on passing the ball effectively first. FFG comment about Holtby having trouble high is spot on. Though he made a few beauties low.
Up by 5, this team needs to learn how to keep their foot on their opponents throat. Not sure what it is but, they seem to lose focus for about 20 minutes each game. This goes back to the 2018 season. Concentration is a 60 minutes thing. Madonna was on attack at points. and needs to work on his shooting. Seems like we're thin there. Good to see Mott back in a somewhat limited role. I liked the 2nd midfield of Bach, Yanko and Grooms (who needs to stop telegraphing his shots). Yanko got crushed by a gang of 4 for the second year in a row (Canisius 2020) on what would have been a sure goal. He will get his now that he is out there. He looked good and like he belonged. Would still like to see the opposing shooters end up flattened out a bit more. Best part of Hobart's game is faceoffs. Great to see Blanchard out there and winning. We need two guys so we don't end up the season with one guy worn out. Still need to get better at helping our FOGOs. Too often today they were running around looking for non existent help.
SHU next. Their goalie is capable of show stopping saves. Back to basics... again
Laxfan1234

Post by Laxfan1234 »

Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

Not the most informative podcast this week. Hoping things are sharper tomorrow. He did say the team is 75 to 80 percent to their potential right now. That seems right to me. I hope the rest comes in a big leap. For tomorrow I'd really like to see:
Better clears
Better man up
Tighter close D especially around the crease
A more aggressive O that can bust up a zone if SHU shifts to it.

Is Delany injured?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Someone has said previously that Delaney, Herlihy and Mason Romm were out for season w injuries.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

In case you missed this.... Chris Aslanian, '19 was picked 7th overall in the PLL entry draft.

https://hwsathletics.com/news/2021/3/26 ... draft.aspx
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:11 pm Someone has said previously that Delaney, Herlihy and Mason Romm were out for season w injuries.
Delaney was on the field for a moment last week. Not sure what the nature of his injury was/is. I do expect him to see some more time later this season. Herlihy & Romm will be back for the '22 season.
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

Missed Delaney last week. Glad to hear he is okay and might see some time. I am not sure about Herlihy, but I heard that Romm is out with an ACL.
Ketch

Post by Ketch »

Laxgunea wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:42 pm Missed Delaney last week. Glad to hear he is okay and might see some time. I am not sure about Herlihy, but I heard that Romm is out with an ACL.
Stats indicate that Delaney was not in the game. Looking forward to seeing him sometime soon.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

Ketch wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:50 pm
Laxgunea wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:42 pm Missed Delaney last week. Glad to hear he is okay and might see some time. I am not sure about Herlihy, but I heard that Romm is out with an ACL.
Stats indicate that Delaney was not in the game. Looking forward to seeing him sometime soon.
Delaney was definitely in. He's #88. Literally was out there for 8 seconds. Penalty called and he came right off. He didn't touch the ball , or even start to be involved in a play. Keep your eyes peeled tomorrow.
Ketch

Post by Ketch »

oldbartman wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:44 pm
Ketch wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:50 pm
Delaney was definitely in. He's #88. Literally was out there for 8 seconds. Penalty called and he came right off. He didn't touch the ball , or even start to be involved in a play. Keep your eyes peeled tomorrow.
I will be looking for him. I love the fact that we’ve got first years playing and contributing. And will Synott keep his hot scoring streak going? Lol
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

Our starters really need to improve their shooting. Yes, they've faced 2 good goalies and will continue to face good goalies for the rest of the season. Shooting .250 or less isn't going to cut it. 60 minutes of focus will go a long way from letting teams come back the way we tend to. To quote The Eldest, "how do you spell fun? W-I-N !!"
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Let’s hope they got up in the right side of bed this am and don’t sleepwalk the first quarter or two today.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

I’m sure ted is overreacting but if they let the kids warm up 3min prior to start on the field and then had some Covid issue to call the game everyone touching both programs should be fired as this is the single worst scenario of all.
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

No game. Not sure what Ted is saying, but it was a last minute positive test. And it was someone who had interacted with lots of (SHU) players. No ones fault ... just really bad luck.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Well he was right except I can’t understand how they made the bus trip last night, suited up and was warming up 3min to 1pm. This is poor execution and somebody messed up. Now the SHU kids may have missed a afternoon class or lab, two days on the road, our kids chewed up time for something that should’ve been figured out more than 5 min prior to faceoff.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”