Johns Hopkins 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
HopFan16

Re: Johns Hopkins 2021

Post by HopFan16 »

Feels like we should be up by more than 2. Need to clean a few things up but, not a bad half. DeSo's resurrection at attack really is quite something.
Drcthru

Post by Drcthru »

For the second game in a row I haven't said "I can't watch this" for an entire half. Not perfect but, very satisfying. :D
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to do the dishes.
genghiskhanbluejay

Post by genghiskhanbluejay »

Knobloch kid has an illegal stick, next time he scores they need to call a stick check.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

genghiskhanbluejay wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:08 pm Knobloch kid has an illegal stick, next time he scores they need to call a stick check.
hidden secret. You get the ball in overtime....you call a time out.

GIVE it to a player with crazy deep pocket, have him run thru the world.....he scores . to bad, so sad. Illegal stick don't matter, game over. nothing you can do about it.

hidden..... ;)

BIG is comical. Make the "regular " season mean something. Invite only 4 teams to the tourney.........otherwize, what is the point?

This is like summer league, I guess. which is still fun....

Hopkins is still coming up to play UMASS on May 2, correct ?
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

Couple of defensive miscommunications on Mullins. We should probably makes sure someone guards him. Rutgers goalie playing well. We’re not making offense look easy. Starting to get nervous.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Rutgers playing really good defense. Every where we go there's 2 guys waiting and then a goalie body in position.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Wasting a lot of time getting personnel on the field. When you add in the time it takes to clear, the 80 second shot clock is more like a 40 second clock.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

That’s it, don’t fold,
great play on that face off to get the ground ball.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

Oh well. Not a lot going well at this point.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Such a lifeless second half after a solid first half.

We're halfway through the season and the transfer goalie's stats are technically worse than Darby's were. Not sure that's what we're looking for there.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

Not sure the D did him many favors today. Lot of 1 on 1 with the goalie in that second half.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

Well at least Zinn and Grimes both got goals.
Hopefully it will help their confidence moving forward.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

A tad confused by the game plan today. So much Baskin and Zinn dodging...they combined for 1 goal and 1 assist. The middies take FOREVER to get on the field. By the time the offense "starts," half of the shot clock is gone. Just no energy on either side of the field in that second half.

Penn State's loss to Michigan today makes it clear that we still have a lot to work on.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

HopFan16 wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:06 pm A tad confused by the game plan today. So much Baskin and Zinn dodging...they combined for 1 goal and 1 assist. The middies take FOREVER to get on the field. By the time the offense "starts," half of the shot clock is gone. Just no energy on either side of the field in that second half.

Penn State's loss to Michigan today makes it clear that we still have a lot to work on.
This team does a lot better when Baskin sees LESS runs not more. I also may have revise my take on leaving Grimes on the field. He needs to work some stuff out and isn’t helping the team right now.
Catbird

Post by Catbird »

nyjay wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:02 pm Not sure the D did him many favors today. Lot of 1 on 1 with the goalie in that second half.
Would agree with you there, but talking cumulative season stats the defense has played decent lacrosse this year (atleast compared to last year or 2019) and yet the save pct currently stands around 30% I think. So it is striking that we can't even get to Darby's pct. from the past few seasons. Considering his bonafides though and the season he was having last year, you would expect him to be a guy who can be a spark and hold the fort down under fire atleast for a little while and he hasn't been that guy either so it is certainly disappointing.

Tough to know at this point if Kirson was pulled at the end to save him from himself (the bounces certainly didn't help him today) or if its an indication that we may see Darby next week. I have to admit I am curious to see what the defense looks like with him at this point. Many of us may end up owing him an apology.

Overall not a good second half. We should now know we can play with these teams when we're on our game as demonstrated by the first 30 minutes against the #1-2 teams in the league, but clearly do not have enough talent to let up mentally like they appear to have against MD and now Rutgers. I thought the offense as a whole looked pretty lost in the second half and took way too long to get set up for anything, clearly spurred on by the difficulty the midfielders were having beating guys 1v1.
Last edited by Catbird on Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Hoponboard

Post by Hoponboard »

Even when Hopkins was ahead in the 2nd qtr., you could see that their 6 on 6 offense was not productive. Without the three EMO goals, Jays would have been trailing at halftime. In truth, Hopkins has few offensive weapons, married with poor shooting.

Not to take anything away from Kirst who had a good game, but a number of those saves were of the beach ball variety.

The inability to get good offensive looks and constantly have to make desperate passes deep in the shot clock spoke to the inability to break down Rutgers defense. The Knights had so many open looks I lost count. They could easily have put up 20 goals.

This Hopkins team is what it is: offensively challenged and defensively limited. That PSU win doesn’t look so good after they lost to Michigan this afternoon.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

flalax22 wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:10 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:06 pm A tad confused by the game plan today. So much Baskin and Zinn dodging...they combined for 1 goal and 1 assist. The middies take FOREVER to get on the field. By the time the offense "starts," half of the shot clock is gone. Just no energy on either side of the field in that second half.

This team does a lot better when Baskin sees LESS runs not more. I also may have revise my take on leaving Grimes on the field. He needs to work some stuff out and isn’t helping the team right now.
Wouldn't mind seeing Degnon man that lefty wing spot on attack for a bit and see how that goes. That kid can absolutely sling it. He should be taking more shots.

Defensive gameplan was strange too—I don't think Deans played? We ran one LSM the entire game and then there was a revolving door of poles between Reinson, Lyne, McManus, and Szuluk. Little continuity there, I can't imagine that's great for communication.
nyjay wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:02 pm Not sure the D did him many favors today. Lot of 1 on 1 with the goalie in that second half.
29% today...hasn't been over 50% once this year. At some point you just have to make a few more saves.
a fan

Post by a fan »

HopFan16 wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:06 pm A tad confused by the game plan today. So much Baskin and Zinn dodging...they combined for 1 goal and 1 assist. The middies take FOREVER to get on the field. By the time the offense "starts," half of the shot clock is gone.
Slowing down a top 5 offense, when you know your team isn't going to put up 16.8 goals per game, like Rutgers has.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

a fan wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:18 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:06 pm A tad confused by the game plan today. So much Baskin and Zinn dodging...they combined for 1 goal and 1 assist. The middies take FOREVER to get on the field. By the time the offense "starts," half of the shot clock is gone.
Slowing down a top 5 offense, when you know your team isn't going to put up 16.8 goals per game, like Rutgers has.
Yeah, and it didn't work.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

Still a work in progress. Patience.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”