Syracuse 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
wgdsr

Re: Syracuse 2021

Post by wgdsr »

tech37 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:20 am
wgdsr wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:38 am
tech37 wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:35 am Aside from Phaup = possessions yesterday, the biggest little story could be the emergence of Wykoff on close. Holding Moore, a recent Cuse killer, to a single assist was huge for the D3 transfer and team. His performance might alter season results, allowing Kennedy, SU's one-man wrecking crew and GB vacuum, to play where he's comfortable and most effective.
i agree on the former. he was good. there's a good chance bt wing play and what he did in the open field they'll look at that and want to keep kennedy there. throw in that mids @ carolina especially and at duke have guys you want covered. don't know about nd.

duke's field does tilt to the attack, tho. as good as their mids are. same with umd and rutgers. and a loyola, army.
Why not the latter too wgdsr? I realize it was just one game but Wykoff did shut down, IMO, UVA's best player since Conrad ran out of eligibility. And Moore was huge in the last two meetings with SU, especially the otherwise close ACC Tourney game in Cville. Down the road, possessions by Phaup and/or TOs by Kennedy at midfield (along with shorties Dearth/Aviles) will limit possession time for "attack-tilted' teams like Duke.

Good timing for Wykoff. He will defend both VT's and SB's best attackman until he gets Sowers on 25th. Hoping he's not a "one hit wonder."
what i was saying was essentially:
- a wykoff/kennedy duo down low may be if not optimal then an option down the line. maybe not. army was 1st game of the season of course, and the unit led by wykoff was v good last saturday in just one week.
- without fernandez, running kennedy too much, wings and up and down the field may run him down. i didn't pay that close attention, but it seemed like he was always on the field even at lsm. can they resist that temptation or if not can he hold up?
ohmilax34

Post by ohmilax34 »

wgdsr wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:52 am
tech37 wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:35 am Aside from Phaup = possessions yesterday, the biggest little story could be the emergence of Wykoff on close. Holding Moore, a recent Cuse killer, to a single assist was huge for the D3 transfer and team. His performance might alter season results, allowing Kennedy, SU's one-man wrecking crew and GB vacuum, to play where he's comfortable and most effective.
i agree on the former. he was good. there's a good chance bt wing play and what he did in the open field they'll look at that and want to keep kennedy there. throw in that mids @ carolina especially and at duke have guys you want covered. don't know about nd.

duke's field does tilt to the attack, tho. as good as their mids are. same with umd and rutgers. and a loyola, army.
Why not the latter too wgdsr? I realize it was just one game but Wykoff did shut down, IMO, UVA's best player since Conrad ran out of eligibility. And Moore was huge in the last two meetings with SU, especially the otherwise close ACC Tourney game in Cville. Down the road, possessions by Phaup and/or TOs by Kennedy at midfield (along with shorties Dearth/Aviles) will limit possession time for "attack-tilted' teams like Duke.

Good timing for Wykoff. He will defend both VT's and SB's best attackman until he gets Sowers on 25th. Hoping he's not a "one hit wonder."
- a wykoff/kennedy duo down low may be if not optimal then an option down the line. maybe not. army was 1st game of the season of course, and the unit led by wykoff was v good last saturday in just one week.
- without fernandez, running kennedy too much, wings and up and down the field may run him down. i didn't pay that close attention, but it seemed like he was always on the field even at lsm. can they resist that temptation or if not can he hold up?
Landon Clary also played lsm, and got quite a bit of time vs. UVA. I've noted on the syracusefan.com forum that Clary is, at this point, a good #2 LSM.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Syracuse should leave new alignment alone for because it worked . Moore had hands free a couple of times in second half but Porter stuffed.He saw ball well and uva did favor hanging up top. Phaup got the best of LaSalla but was not crazy about him taking reps when game was out of reach. Syracuse is deep and will wear defenses down when they have the ball that much. If they had played a 5th q would have been a mercy game because uva looked exhausted . Scanlan will score four or more in one of these upcoming games.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

Anyone know why Cook replaced Seebold on 2nds in second half yesterday? Injury or coaches still trying different combos?

UVM very skilled, tough, smart team. Luckily, Porter was seeing the ball... 20 saves :shock:

Great game.
Pensky Material

Post by Pensky Material »

So Hofstra is out, Holy Cross is in. Without knowing how close they were to possibly playing Lehigh, I think it would have been a really good test but with the short week I'm not surprised. Still think playing a game is better than not playing, team certainly has some things to work on.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

There’s nothing to gain in playing Lehigh,
for Syracuse,
it would help Lehigh much much more,
in terms of at large,
although Lehigh is looking more and more like
an at large, Syracuse or no.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Why help Casseses resume in case he takes over when Dino retires?
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

10stone5 wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:13 pm There’s nothing to gain in playing Lehigh,
for Syracuse,
it would help Lehigh much much more,
in terms of at large,
although Lehigh is looking more and more like
an at large, Syracuse or no.
i disagree completely. doesn't matter. for now.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Stunned by the news.
Always a gentleman. One of the most underrated players in Cuse history.
RIP Rob Kavovit.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.syracu ... utType=amp
molo

Post by molo »

Sad news.
Pensky Material

ohmilax34 wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:14 am

Landon Clary also played lsm, and got quite a bit of time vs. UVA. I've noted on the syracusefan.com forum that Clary is, at this point, a good #2 LSM.
Looks like Clary is most likely out for the year per Desko (not sure of the injury specifically but perhaps ACL?) which sucks but time for one of the other poles to step up.
ohmilax34

Post by ohmilax34 »

Pensky Material wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:09 pm

Looks like Clary is most likely out for the year per Desko (not sure of the injury specifically but perhaps ACL?) which sucks but time for one of the other poles to step up.
That's too bad. SU has given lsm runs to Brett Barlow, Michael Page and Cole Horan. Barlow was playing ssdm before going back to lsm. It looks like SU is starting to give Griffin Cook some ssdm/face off wing runs. He has a unique skill set that the coaches probably realize isn't ideal for an X attackman, but he can be useful somewhere else on the field. He plays very hard, so I'm interested in seeing how he does with his new role. I like giving him 2nd line middie runs as well. He can beat a short stick.
Pensky Material

ohmilax34 wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:20 am

That's too bad. SU has given lsm runs to Brett Barlow, Michael Page and Cole Horan. Barlow was playing ssdm before going back to lsm. It looks like SU is starting to give Griffin Cook some ssdm/face off wing runs. He has a unique skill set that the coaches probably realize isn't ideal for an X attackman, but he can be useful somewhere else on the field. He plays very hard, so I'm interested in seeing how he does with his new role. I like giving him 2nd line middie runs as well. He can beat a short stick.
Barlow is ok but I just don't think he looks athletic enough to run with a lot of the middies in the ACC. I thought in the shortened season last year Page got a decent amount of run with Clary behind Fernandez so maybe he's in line to be next man up? Regarding Cook, no doubt he's got a high motor and can beat short sticks. I feel like with him it's not beating guys so much as finishing.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

Pensky Material wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:39 pm

Barlow is ok but I just don't think he looks athletic enough to run with a lot of the middies in the ACC. I thought in the shortened season last year Page got a decent amount of run with Clary behind Fernandez so maybe he's in line to be next man up? Regarding Cook, no doubt he's got a high motor and can beat short sticks. I feel like with him it's not beating guys so much as finishing.
Yeah, I think Cook lacks confidence, the ability is there. I would guess that Hiltz coming on board hasn't helped his confidence.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Fernandez and Helmer split lsm runs last year with Fernandez taking most faceoffs. Clary got minimal run and Page didnt see the field last year .Clary was solid, Barlow and Page are competent and can fill but option of dropping Kennedy down to close for a particular matchup is now gone . ACC middies are simply too good to rely on 3rd and 4th poles. Also gonna need another to replace Barlow in their short stick rotation. Cook at ssdm? Questionable fit but wont know unless tried. Holy Cross gives them that opportunity if considered. His best position is still at attack but wont be an opening till next year . Not sure he has the outside shot to play middle though mids and attackaman are somewhat interchangeable on field these days.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

stupefied wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:14 pm

Fernandez and Helmer split lsm runs last year with Fernandez taking most faceoffs. Clary got minimal run and Page didnt see the field last year .Clary was solid, Barlow and Page are competent and can fill but option of dropping Kennedy down to close for a particular matchup is now gone . ACC middies are simply too good to rely on 3rd and 4th poles. Also gonna need another to replace Barlow in their short stick rotation. Cook at ssdm? Questionable fit but wont know unless tried. Holy Cross gives them that opportunity if considered. His best position is still at attack but wont be an opening till next year . Not sure he has the outside shot to play middle though mids and attackaman are somewhat interchangeable on field these days.
Questionable I think is right. In spite of his excellent riding abilities and quickness, Cook's not big enough for ssdm. I like Aviles a lot but he's been struggling when taken to the goal, over-committing with checks, then either not strong or quick enough to recover? Still think he can play a big role on team, still possibly at ssdm. Dami the answer?
ohmilax34

Post by ohmilax34 »

tech37 wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:18 pm

Questionable I think is right. In spite of his excellent riding abilities and quickness, Cook's not big enough for ssdm. I like Aviles a lot but he's been struggling when taken to the goal, over-committing with checks, then either not strong or quick enough to recover? Still think he can play a big role on team, still possibly at ssdm. Dami the answer?
I don't think have 1 or 2 good SSDMs is what the coaches are looking for. I think they want 4-5 good SSDMs. We've seen good performances from Dearth, Oladunmoye, Barlow and Aviles. Maybe some are struggling a little, but they have good performances left in them. Shaffer Woody is getting more runs now and building depth at the position is important. I'm okay with Cook getting some looks. He plays bigger than his size. Keeping guys fresh is important, too.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

ohmilax34 wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:29 pm

I don't think have 1 or 2 good SSDMs is what the coaches are looking for. I think they want 4-5 good SSDMs. We've seen good performances from Dearth, Oladunmoye, Barlow and Aviles. Maybe some are struggling a little, but they have good performances left in them. Shaffer Woody is getting more runs now and building depth at the position is important. I'm okay with Cook getting some looks. He plays bigger than his size. Keeping guys fresh is important, too.
4-5? Whew... that's asking a lot. Besides keeper, toughest position to play on field.
ohmilax34

Post by ohmilax34 »

tech37 wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:32 pm
ohmilax34 wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:29 pm

4-5? Whew... that's asking a lot. Besides keeper, toughest position to play on field.
Last year they were rotating through Dearth, Dami, Aviles, Barlow and Spencer Small. Some are obviously better than others, but they need to keep guys fresh there. The shot clock has changed that position.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

ohmi, not sure I saw you comment... would you have preferred Lehigh over HC this weekend?

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”