Re: Hobart 2021

Post by oldbartman »

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/slidesho ... 38?slide=6

I'll leave this to speak for itself.
FL-GO

Post by FL-GO »

Same story, different year.

Get my hopes up with this program only to be let down / disappointed. At least it's only Game 2 of a COVID-shortened season. Just need to slog thru the remainder of the NEC schedule and hope they improve / show well when it really matters.

Sure would be nice if Dr. J would petition the NCAA like Pres. V planned to in order to help make this squad more competitive. I did get at least one - "maybe we should go back to D3" text after last Saturday. Ugh...
courtdog

Post by courtdog »

Hobart has been more competitive than ever the last few years and went to the NCAA tournament. Its 1 game everyone. Did you watch Denver get dismantled early in the season by UNC? Have you seen all of these other blowouts? Teams haven't played in over a year and are expected by fans to look like they are in prime? Get a grip and be happy there is lacrosse to be played. Watch how many "good" teams get upset this year and lose a game to someone they maybe wouldn't in a regular year.
Ketch

Post by Ketch »

FL-GO wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:15 am Same story, different year.

Get my hopes up with this program only to be let down / disappointed. At least it's only Game 2 of a COVID-shortened season. Just need to slog thru the remainder of the NEC schedule and hope they improve / show well when it really matters.

Sure would be nice if Dr. J would petition the NCAA like Pres. V planned to in order to help make this squad more competitive. I did get at least one - "maybe we should go back to D3" text after last Saturday. Ugh...
I rest my case on my "existential crisis" comment. We lost a freakin' game. Big f'n deal! Get over it everyone. We are a DI program, period. Win some, lose some. The NEC is no picnic as the level of competition continues to rise.
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

Back when the D1-D3-D1 fiasco happened, some professor friends in town mentioned to me that they thought it was a good idea to be in D3 because it would lower the profile of lacrosse on campus. I thought it would do just the opposite: imagine the existential crisis of losing a D3 game! We'd do anything to avoid it. Such terrible pressure not to lose. But it would happen anyway ... Ketch is right, teams lose games. Half lose more than they win, and of the teams that make it to the NCAA, all but one lose their last game.
We are a D1 team. We win some and lose some. In the past few years, we win more than we lose. LIU is a D1 team too. On Saturday, they played well; we didn't. What I learned from the game is that LIU is in the mix in the NEC. And that is great, because whatever is good for the NEC is good for us. We are in the right league and we still have all the opportunity in the world to win it and be in the NCAAs.
I hope we see LIU again this year. Just as I am sure MSM is happy to be seeing us again this weekend. Hope the players have shaken off the loss better than fanlax members. I hope I see Hobart play boldly on Saturday. Arch and Datillas are playing with swag right now. Knox too. Mott would really help, and I think Barthelme will click with confidence at some point. I was really happy with Bach on Saturday ... first goal, but more importantly, he didn't shy away from anything.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Laxgunea wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:54 am
Back when the D1-D3-D1 fiasco happened, some professor friends in town mentioned to me that they thought it was a good idea to be in D3 because it would lower the profile of lacrosse on campus.
Lower.
The big question is why ?
Bart

Post by Bart »

10stone5 wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:57 am
Laxgunea wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:54 am
Back when the D1-D3-D1 fiasco happened, some professor friends in town mentioned to me that they thought it was a good idea to be in D3 because it would lower the profile of lacrosse on campus.
Lower.
The big question is why ?
Interesting. One could argue the teams profile was never higher on campus than when they were DIII. Every one, well most everyone, loved a winner. That era and time has long passed. I do hope the team plays better this week, not for me or for any one else here but for themselves. I bet no one is more disappointed by the way they played than the 40+ guys who walk out to practice every day.
Ketch

Post by Ketch »

I'm a little disappointed by my perception of the lack of support of the team by the students on campus. They will show for a Syracuse or Cornell game, but otherwise they don't, at least not in numbers. Much of that probably has to do with the arctic conditions we usually play in on the Boz. But one thing I have noticed in general: DIII teams belong to their student bodies, while DI teams belong to the parents and to professional fans like me... I've had the pleasure of getting to know some of the parents over the years and they are without exception fantastic people. I get so anxious at games that I don't understand how they can take it watching their sons. Another thing I've noticed about DI, at least in the NEC: all of the games tend to be pretty close. Check the DIII scores and you will see many more blowouts since the discrepancy in team talent is so huge. In DI seemingly everyone has players.
TopShelf585

Post by TopShelf585 »

Anybody notice how many Upstate/Central NY kids are getting significant minutes.
There was one point in the game that I saw all these guys out there at the same time-

Archer
Mueller
Madonna
Grooms
Datellias
Durkin
Imburgia

Brought a tear to my eye.
laxpert

Post by laxpert »

Bring back the post goal cannon and let Tappa Kega Dei setup the beer stand in the corner of the field like the old Boz and the students will show up.
On a semi serious note there are several factors that have depressed attendance. Before artificial turf home games in the Northeast would just be starting and seemed there were more mid week games in April. Many institutions have restrictions on tailgating, it seems the get out of your room socialize with classmates and attend the game just doesn't exist today. How much damage was done pre shot clock, ball retention by todays sticks and most contact being eliminated is difficult to quantify. Even the NFL is concerned with the at home experience with games being streamed to your 65 inch HDTV as a better option than physical attendance.
I don't remember 2019 attendance, the last normal year, being anything to write home about. There might be a few exceptions , Penn State comes to mind, any others?
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

Back in the DIII days, classes went into late May because we were on trimesters. Now they have a semester system, so exams are in early May and everyone but seniors is gone by May 10 or so. Also, I think there are more options for athletes now, and there are probably more teams than there were. For example, I see the sailing team out on the lake starting in early March. I think that is a 30 person team or more. I saw the crew team in the canal yesterday, and between men and women they are another 30 person team or more. Plus women's lacrosse is more popular than it was, and it is very successful. Plus the Colleges have a student life branch that is dedicated to providing social life. Plus everyone has a computer, video games, TVs in every room, and the drinking age is 21, etc... There is just so much more to do.

Thanks TopShelf for pointing that out about upstate kids ... you're right!
catchnshoot

Post by catchnshoot »

Anyone have any insight into scheduling?
Syracuse is playing Holy Cross tomorrow it’s the third week in a row they are playing a first time opponent.
Hobart has a one hundred year history with Cuse, kraus - Simmons etc.. is not on the schedule?
tech37

Post by tech37 »

catchnshoot wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:19 am Anyone have any insight into scheduling?
Syracuse is playing Holy Cross tomorrow it’s the third week in a row they are playing a first time opponent.
Hobart has a one hundred year history with Cuse, kraus - Simmons etc.. is not on the schedule?
Pandemic year, schedules didn't mesh. I don't think SU would ever slight Bart and shouldn't be viewed that way. If Hobart was free this weekend, no doubt they're playing Cuse. If things continue to improve, next year will be back to normal scheduling for most teams. Just my opinion...
Laxfan1234

Post by Laxfan1234 »

FL-GO

Post by FL-GO »

This team has no business playing SU or Cornell this season. Would get run off the field. Just need to chalk it up to the pandemic year. Hopefully they can pull off a win today, but so far, both of these teams look sloppy / not good.
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

Listening to Ted, not watching today. Is it as sloppy as it sounds? Sounds like two teams trying to dig for the bottom ... with Hobart leading because of hot streaks.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

0-9 on EMO
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
FL-GO

Post by FL-GO »

0-10

This is still looking like a win, but a LOT of work needed. Sucks these guys couldn't have started their season in Feb. NYS rules and issues in Geneva didn't help them.

Still a close game, hope they can close it out...
Ketch

Post by Ketch »

The bad news is that we‘re still not a very good team. The good news is that we‘re good enough to beat the Mount twice, and we‘re now 2-1 in the conference. Let‘s keep improving. Plenty of room for that.

Anyone notice how our SSDMs all tried to look like Matt Smalley clearing the ball? Trouble is, they aren‘t Matt Smalley. We need to learn to clear the ball by passing it.
catchnshoot

Post by catchnshoot »

A win is a win
But this was a sloppy mess
Way too many turnovers
Fundamentals need work , balls flying all over the place
What happened to throwing a pass next to the guys head/ ear?
Passes over guys heads , bouncing at their feet
Teams have obviously decided they can physically intimidate our guys
Lots of purple uni’s on the ground
EMO is terrible
Offense stagnant , not creating opportunities
Every clear is a complete adventure
Back to work Monday , lots to do!

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”