Syracuse 2021

D1 Womens Lacrosse
seacoaster

Re: Syracuse 2021

Post by seacoaster »

I'm with DMac. The reports of Syracuse's demise seem premature and maybe exaggerated. Picking UNC to win all the marbles is like choosing Nixon to beat McGovern in 1972. EH certainly makes Syracuse a better team, but there is a lot of depth at attack, a good cadre of midfielders, and a very able, very experienced defense and goalie. We shall see.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

seacoaster wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:37 am I'm with DMac. The reports of Syracuse's demise seem premature and maybe exaggerated. Picking UNC to win all the marbles is like choosing Nixon to beat McGovern in 1972. EH certainly makes Syracuse a better team, but there is a lot of depth at attack, a good cadre of midfielders, and a very able, very experienced defense and goalie. We shall see.
Even without EH, I think the Cuse are a Final Four team.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

I think it's too early to tell. We're only really going to know after the ACC Tournament. Syracuse still has a lot of tough games ahead in conference. The loss of #51 will become more and more evident as the season goes on. Plus there is the history of Syracuse in the postseason. They have never been able to win the big one. One game in particular comes to mind back in 2019 when they had BC dead to rights in one of the ACC semifinals. They self destructed in the waning minutes and blew the game. They have a legacy of not being able to finish the last game. But we shall see. Just another fascinating topic to watch as the season progresses.
laxagainsthumanity

Post by laxagainsthumanity »

Syracuse has the best midfield they've had in a while, I would say since about 2015 or maybe even before. Their defense is the best it's been since the Liz Hogan/Becca Block days. Their attack moves the ball extremely well and has an incredible mix of skillsets, even without EH. And their whole lineup is stacked with veterans who have a boatload of confidence in themselves and trust in one another. EH has all my sympathy, but the rest of the team does not need it.

As for the draw, they can compensate in other ways. They also have players who can scrap on the circle and I think as the season goes on they'll figure out how to better compete via draw by committee. If one area of your game is going to be weak, this is the one I would choose. It's also UNC's weakest area and nobody is worried about it because they're efficient on both ends of the field.
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

Brownlax wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:47 am
seacoaster wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:37 am I'm with DMac. The reports of Syracuse's demise seem premature and maybe exaggerated. Picking UNC to win all the marbles is like choosing Nixon to beat McGovern in 1972. EH certainly makes Syracuse a better team, but there is a lot of depth at attack, a good cadre of midfielders, and a very able, very experienced defense and goalie. We shall see.
Even without EH, I think the Cuse are a Final Four team.
Agreed, definitely final 4 - because they are a great team and also because there is a huge dropoff after top 4
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

laxagainsthumanity wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:18 am Syracuse has the best midfield they've had in a while, I would say since about 2015 or maybe even before. Their defense is the best it's been since the Liz Hogan/Becca Block days. Their attack moves the ball extremely well and has an incredible mix of skillsets, even without EH. And their whole lineup is stacked with veterans who have a boatload of confidence in themselves and trust in one another. EH has all my sympathy, but the rest of the team does not need it.

As for the draw, they can compensate in other ways. They also have players who can scrap on the circle and I think as the season goes on they'll figure out how to better compete via draw by committee. If one area of your game is going to be weak, this is the one I would choose. It's also UNC's weakest area and nobody is worried about it because they're efficient on both ends of the field.
UNC is at about 56% on their draws after 5 games. Not terrible, but they can definitely be better.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

It was revealed during a recent Syracuse broadcast that The Godfather called 51 and addressed her something along the lines of, "Is this 51, member of the Syracuse 2021 national champions?" A short time later the player suffered a season ending injury. It could be said that The Don unintentionally dispensed the Maloik, and most likely the team's chance at hardware--for this year anyway.
DMac

Post by DMac »

It can be said, doesn't mean it's not a huge crock of schidt though.
Further, can the evil eye be delivered over the phone?
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

I guess no one ever taught The Don that old adage—Don’t count yer chickens before they hatch.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

You don’t put balloons in the rafters for game 7 at home, you don’t plan the parade route before you play the championship game, and you don’t call your star player and tell her the team will win the title that year.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Gary doesn't count chickens. That came from a guy who won championships from the pee wee level to the pros and told his girls from the day he accepted the HC position that he wants his girls to think like national champions, practice like national champions, and play like national champions, it's just the way he thinks. Not too surprising he started the call like that, despite all the horseschidt you're throwing around here, eh?
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Matt Hasselbeck was another one. Remember the year he predicted during the immediate aftermath of the coin flip that they were going to win the game—then he promptly threw a pick six?

https://youtu.be/vAgG9XcrDFY
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Speaking of Hasselbeck, his daughter Annabelle plays for BC. She looks like a very promising player in her first year playing college ball.
DMac

Post by DMac »

You obviously don't understand the difference between predictions and the power of positive thinking.
More lessons learned (or not) from Mr. Donovan, no doubt. Did he ever make you read about the little
red choo-choo, or did he have you read about the little annoying gnat instead?
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Of course, some predictions do actually work, like the time Joe Namath predicted they were going to beat the Baltimore Colts in the 1969 world championship.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Syracuse is an interesting program when it comes to being snakebitten. For all the great teams they have put together through the years and all the great players they have had, they have never been able to win the big one and take the national championship.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Joe Spallina was another one who made a prediction and ended up having to eat crow. Back in 2018 he predicted his Seawolves would go into Boston College and beat the Eagles in the NCAA quarterfinals, only to fall in overtime.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Respectfully, I think making light of Gary's rapport with his player and her ensuing injury is a little tasteless, particularly as it appears to be for the purpose of only trolling DMac and maybe Syracuse fans.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Tasteless indeed but to be expected considering the source.
Seems to enjoy spreading a lot bullschidt and making a horsezasz
out of himself. Takes all kinds kinds to make the world go round,
ya know, got no problem handling this gnat.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”