Johns Hopkins 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
flalax22

Re: Johns Hopkins 2021

Post by flalax22 »

a fan wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:46 pm
flalax22 wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:30 pm
a fan wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:18 pm
flalax22 wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:54 pm For all the fawning by some over Bobby Benson this attack and mid group is being made over in front of us and it’s better.
What makes you say that?

Benson's UMd offense is #2 in D1 at 17.5 goals per game.

Hopkins isn't in the top 30.
That’s his doing? Self admittedly he’s already said that everything was in place and he’s just trying to coach skills and act as a consultant. Systems and personnel were already in place when he arrived and they haven’t made changes on his watch.
That's great. Your conclusion still doesn't make any sense. You're making it sound like you think Benson was the problem on offense the last few years.....when Hopkins clearly doesn't have a top offense as yet in 2021 now that he's gone. Yet.

Personally? I think it's telling that Benson is responsible for Maryland's offense in 2021....and they're lighting it up. You can diminish his coaching at UMd all you like, I guess.
Benson was the problem? No I’m implying that two players in particular are doing better based on a change. That the X QB is now on the wing producing and some players that should have had diminished roles in my opinion now have diminished roles. My contention is those things didn’t and wouldn’t have happened under the old management.
a fan

Post by a fan »

flalax22 wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:08 pm No I’m implying that two players in particular are doing better based on a change.
Ah, gotcha. That's cool.
HopFan16 wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:40 pm That the X QB is now on the wing producing and some players that should have had diminished roles in my opinion now have diminished roles. My contention is those things didn’t and wouldn’t have happened under the old management.
Got it. I guess I'm simply saying the jury is still out as to whether these adjustments will lead to more goals. So far, it hasn't.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

a fan wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:53 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:40 pm
a fan wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:34 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:28 pm He's comparing our offense this year to the one last year and in years prior, not to Maryland's this year. Thought that was blindingly obvious but apparently not.
Yeah....no he wasn't, and you know it. If that's what he meant, he would have said "compared with our offense last year....." and left Benson out of it.

I'm glad you guys are happy with your offense.
There is no universe in which he meant we currently have a better offense than Maryland's.
Um....I didn't say that. In any universe. ;)
HopFan16 wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:40 pm He's comparing our reformed/made-over unit under the new OC to the previous one under the former guy.
Well, they're still scoring at the same rate they were before..which is why I asked "what makes you say that?"

E.g., you're not scoring more this year compared with years past. Yet.

I just thought it was an odd conclusion.
HopFan16 wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:40 pm The Benson part was because there were and still are defenders of his past Hopkins offenses.
Well, now that's why I pointed out that Benson is doing just fine with Maryland's offense. It's a reasonable thing to point out, don't you think?
The change in scenery has helped Benson and Maryland, I think, and the change in OC has helped Hopkins and the Blue Jays.

Win-win ... there’s nothing like a fresh perspective to help improve things.

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Pleasantly surprised by yesterday. Aside from the result - I do believe the eye test of watching this team now vs the first half of Ohio State and there has been unquestioned incremental improvement. As far as the actual game - the key statistic - along with being competitive on ground balls - was turnovers - anytime you can keep turnovers to 10 or less there's a decent chance you're in the game. The face-off stretch was clearly important as well and goes to the ground ball story - Reinson and Mabbett with 4 gbs each is what is so desperately needed. Other thoughts:
- As far as Benson, Maryland right now is an awesome team - loaded to the gills with one of the most complete stars in the game - so he clearly hasn't messed things up and I am sure he has been a big contributor. Everyone makes mistakes, however, and perhaps his biggest at Hopkins was DeSimone's sophomore/half of junior years - trying to make that kid a #1 mid-fielder with size was so lacking in probability of success even I could see it. I am sure the big man had something to do with it as well but they clearly missed the mark on that one.
- Jays defense must have knocked down or picked off 4-6 passes yesterday - very over looked fundamental - sticks up
- Even though Rutgers got boat raced in the 4th quarter yesterday - they pose a very significant problem for Hopkins - their attack is beyond legit and of course they like to play fast. Hopkins needs the following three/four things to happen again to hang in there - win some face-offs, keep turnovers to a minimum especially in the middle of the field, handle the Rutgers defensive pressure and while it may not be an absolute necessity - Kirson having a big game would go a long way. Why did Maryland extend a 1 goal margin to 7? 1 turnover, 8-8 on clears, >50% on face-offs, 9-5 ground ball advantage
- Hopkins really really needs Grimes to find some footing - I clealry understand the issues but the offense can't afford to have a starting attackman out there with 1 goal in 4 games. It would make things easier for Epstein and DeSimone as well. He'll get there - it would help if it were sooner rather than later.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

DocBarrister wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:15 am
a fan wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:53 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:40 pm
a fan wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:34 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:28 pm He's comparing our offense this year to the one last year and in years prior, not to Maryland's this year. Thought that was blindingly obvious but apparently not.
Yeah....no he wasn't, and you know it. If that's what he meant, he would have said "compared with our offense last year....." and left Benson out of it.

I'm glad you guys are happy with your offense.
There is no universe in which he meant we currently have a better offense than Maryland's.
Um....I didn't say that. In any universe. ;)
HopFan16 wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:40 pm He's comparing our reformed/made-over unit under the new OC to the previous one under the former guy.
Well, they're still scoring at the same rate they were before..which is why I asked "what makes you say that?"

E.g., you're not scoring more this year compared with years past. Yet.

I just thought it was an odd conclusion.
HopFan16 wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:40 pm The Benson part was because there were and still are defenders of his past Hopkins offenses.
Well, now that's why I pointed out that Benson is doing just fine with Maryland's offense. It's a reasonable thing to point out, don't you think?
The change in scenery has helped Benson and Maryland, I think, and the change in OC has helped Hopkins and the Blue Jays.

Win-win ... there’s nothing like a fresh perspective to help improve things.

DocBarrister 8-)
improve things for 2 players, that is.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

-Quint mentioned grimes jr year he battled injuries and last year was corona.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

51percentcorn wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:25 am - Hopkins really really needs Grimes to find some footing - I clealry understand the issues but the offense can't afford to have a starting attackman out there with 1 goal in 4 games. It would make things easier for Epstein and DeSimone as well. He'll get there - it would help if it were sooner rather than later.
I don't think Grimes has played much at all in the last two years. It's got to be a big adjustment for him.
Grant and Milliman must see something there and also thinking that it's going to happen sooner rather than later.
He certainly capable of adding a shooting dimension to the offense. Maybe it's time to design up some plays to get him free for shots off the wing.
This could happen more easily on EMO or possibly transition. I think if he can get some goals, get some confidence, he could break out.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

He didn't score but I thought Grimes played well within the flow of the offense against PSU. He was moving the ball quickly with crisp passes and knew when and when not to go at his man. He had a nice take to the middle of the field to get his hands free and the shot just bounced wide. His mechanics are gorgeous. These shots are going to start falling. He's got all the tools and the IQ but just isn't the focal point of the offense right now. Teams have been poling him because I think they're afraid of him shooting from the wing with his hands free. That in itself has value, as it frees up one of Williams, Angelus, or Keogh to go at a shortie matchup—and as we saw yesterday all three can make Ds pay for that.

I also appreciated Milliman sending Raposo and Peshko out there on the same middie line. Those two must have developed some chemistry in high school. I think they are both destined to be solid contributors.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:05 pm Tonight marks the 15th anniversary of the Duke “baseball” team hiring strippers.

15 years - and it significantly affected Hopkins. The coaching dominoes of losing Seth Tierney to the opening at Hofstra affected the Jays for over a decade. Sure, they won in 2007 and 2nd in 2008, but that was with horses already in the stable, with one in particular named Rabil.

Never underestimate the far ranging impacts of being stupid.

And that includes on message boards.

TODAY
@TODAYshow
· 4h
All undergraduate students at Duke University have been ordered to quarantine for at least the next week due to a rising number of COVID-19 cases on campus.

----------
-In light of that quarantine, Duke just petitioned NCAA for extra year of eligibility for all 2021 student athletes given potential they may miss time because of undue hardship.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

jhu06 wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:43 pm Peeking ahead to Rutgers. A lot of familiar faces. With a win and an OSU loss to maryland we'd stand alone at 2 in the conference. Would be quite a moment. Like how Rutgers comms highlights their majors. Some smart kids on that roster.
https://www.uslaxmagazine.com/college/m ... utgers-men
https://www.testudotimes.com/maryland-t ... big-ten-tv
https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... 9-12/57471
-https://scarletknights.com/news/2021/3/ ... wdown.aspx
2019 game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKX-2xYfO7Y

Testudo Times thought faceoff was a SK weakness but they held up ok today. Going to be another defensive test. Charambides first redshirt year was 2014-2015 which featured this Hopkins roster.
https://hopkinssports.com/sports/mens-l ... oster/2015
Limit their transition, win the game. Make them play 6-on-6, win the game. Hop did a great job of making both MD and PSU play 6-on-6. RU's defense really packs in behind its on-ball defenders. Makes iso dodging more difficult. MD went to heavy midfield inverts in that 4th quarter. Suspect Hop will do quite a bit of that.
NOVALax2015

Post by NOVALax2015 »

Nothing to add regarding team play and coaching. Took notice in the 4th when Quint stated that we'll be in his top 20 this week - his tone was very strange, almost like he felt he was doing us a favor. He stated earlier in the game that we were showing steady improvement this season and then we absolutely thump the #12 team - you'd have to be an absolute moron not to consider Hopkins a top 20 team.
BlueJaySince1947

Post by BlueJaySince1947 »

Well...that's QK !
Does anyone care who's in his Top 20 ?
Can't understand why he's been anointed the all knowing Guru of College Lacrosse...can anyone explain ?
He hit a new low on Saturday's telecast babbling incessantly about everything but the game on the field. He does know when a player has the rock in his crosse however. And the constant reference to basketball( at least 8 times on Saturday )is quite annoying.
I just don't get it...but I'm an old coot and weak of mind apparently.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

BlueJaySince1947 wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:02 pm Well...that's QK !
Does anyone care who's in his Top 20 ?
Can't understand why he's been anointed the all knowing Guru of College Lacrosse...can anyone explain ?
He hit a new low on Saturday's telecast babbling incessantly about everything but the game on the field. He does know when a player has the rock in his crosse however. And the constant reference to basketball( at least 8 times on Saturday )is quite annoying.
I just don't get it...but I'm an old coot and weak of mind apparently.
It’s not just the old that can’t stand QK on the call. My 18 year old daughter called him a clown and asked me to mute the game. She said he never actually talks about the action or plays. For the most part, she’s right.
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:01 pm
steel_hop wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:55 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:45 pm Here you go, nerds:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/05/heal ... masks.html

Here is how I arrived at my conclusion.

1. Hopkins has shown to be very serious about community spread when it decides whether or not to open up campus (or allow athletics). We've already seen them shut things down for 10 days because of a single party in which no lacrosse members was involved.
2. I am a lacrosse fan. Opening the city back up could spook Hopkins into shutting campus down again. Opening up dining has led to increased infection rates in other counties, per the CDC. It is conceivable it could happen in Baltimore.
3. If Hopkins shuts campus down again then the season will be impacted. I don't want the season to be impacted.

It's that simple. I'm not sure why that's controversial. I think we can all agree that opening up the city of Baltimore completely (which, by implication, seems to be what some of you want to happen?) would not decrease the chances that Hopkins has to shut down. Best case scenario it makes no change. But that is a risk that is not worth taking if you are a Hopkins fan who values getting to watch them play more than you do eating in a packed restaurant for another two months.
You mean the study that showed opening restaurants showed a 1% difference between the two. Yup, sounds like we should be shut down.

Since December 1st, here is the difference between states with mandates compared to states without mandates.

https://twitter.com/abirballan/status/1 ... 2646577161

And this isn't even getting into other factors like the fact we aren't even talking about restaurants but allowing fans in the stands. Because right now, the Orioles will be allowed to have 25% capacity. The Ravens were allowed 10% way back last November.

https://www.wbaltv.com/article/orioles- ... 20capacity.

But, Hopkins can't have 500 people in the stands. Where does this go when someone talks about following the science?

I have no idea are parents allowed into the stands at Hopkins? If not, then shame on Hopkins for not fighting to let parents into the stands to watch their kids.
Do you know if no mask mandate means people aren’t wearing masks?
I'm not sure I understand the question. According to most polls. upwards of 90% of Americans (https://www.economist.com/graphic-detai ... outh-split). But, I guess your question is basically some how people in mask states and non mask states have the same level of nonconformers - I'd argue that is complete nonsense from a pure peer pressure position.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

steel_hop wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:05 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:01 pm
steel_hop wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:55 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:45 pm Here you go, nerds:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/05/heal ... masks.html

Here is how I arrived at my conclusion.

1. Hopkins has shown to be very serious about community spread when it decides whether or not to open up campus (or allow athletics). We've already seen them shut things down for 10 days because of a single party in which no lacrosse members was involved.
2. I am a lacrosse fan. Opening the city back up could spook Hopkins into shutting campus down again. Opening up dining has led to increased infection rates in other counties, per the CDC. It is conceivable it could happen in Baltimore.
3. If Hopkins shuts campus down again then the season will be impacted. I don't want the season to be impacted.

It's that simple. I'm not sure why that's controversial. I think we can all agree that opening up the city of Baltimore completely (which, by implication, seems to be what some of you want to happen?) would not decrease the chances that Hopkins has to shut down. Best case scenario it makes no change. But that is a risk that is not worth taking if you are a Hopkins fan who values getting to watch them play more than you do eating in a packed restaurant for another two months.
You mean the study that showed opening restaurants showed a 1% difference between the two. Yup, sounds like we should be shut down.

Since December 1st, here is the difference between states with mandates compared to states without mandates.

https://twitter.com/abirballan/status/1 ... 2646577161

And this isn't even getting into other factors like the fact we aren't even talking about restaurants but allowing fans in the stands. Because right now, the Orioles will be allowed to have 25% capacity. The Ravens were allowed 10% way back last November.

https://www.wbaltv.com/article/orioles- ... 20capacity.

But, Hopkins can't have 500 people in the stands. Where does this go when someone talks about following the science?

I have no idea are parents allowed into the stands at Hopkins? If not, then shame on Hopkins for not fighting to let parents into the stands to watch their kids.
Do you know if no mask mandate means people aren’t wearing masks?
I'm not sure I understand the question. According to most polls. upwards of 90% of Americans (https://www.economist.com/graphic-detai ... outh-split). But, I guess your question is basically some how people in mask states and non mask states have the same level of nonconformers - I'd argue that is complete nonsense from a pure peer pressure position.
That was a good win Saturday. Take them as you can get them. I expect continued improvement even if it doesn’t always translate into a wins each week.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Of course he has switched positions but the transformation of DeSimone is fairly remarkable - in the 24 games since his freshman year as a midfielder he compiled the following statistics
8 goals - 16 assists - 24 points - app. 16% shot percentage - 20 ground balls - 12 turnovers - 1 caused turnover

In the 4 games as an attackman - I repeat 4 games vs 24
11 goals - 6 assists - 17 points - 52% shot percentage - 7 ground balls - 3 turnovers - 2 caused turnovers

And it probably should be mentioned he hasn't had much full practice at his new position either

If you were going to get to pick a senior/junior eligible to return next year who would have thought several months ago he would likely be #1

Edit: Point still is valid but a mental goof - it's 22 games over the sophomore and first piece of his junior year - not 24
Last edited by 51percentcorn on Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

It's interesting to note the people who are totally MIA from this thread after a solid win (or apparently only want to talk about coronavirus and show no interest in discussing lacrosse on a lacrosse forum), but are often non-stop posters during or after a loss.

Jays re-enter the top 20 this week at #15. Quint has us at #14.
51percentcorn wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:41 am Of course he has switched positions but the transformation of DeSimone is fairly remarkable - in the 24 games since his freshman year as a midfielder he compiled the following statistics
8 goals - 16 assists - 24 points - app. 16% shot percentage - 20 ground balls - 12 turnovers - 1 caused turnover

11 goals - 6 assists - 17 points - 52% shot percentage - 7 ground balls - 3 turnovers - 2 caused turnovers

And it probably should be mentioned he hasn't had much full practice at his new position either

If you were going to get to pick a senior/junior eligible to return next year who would have thought several months ago he would likely be #1
The kid passes the eye test too. He is much quicker and more confident dodging from X. This is the player a lot of people expected to see coming out of high school. QK mentioned the head-scratching weight gain his sophomore year during the broadcast. I certainly hope he returns next year. They'll lose Williams but no reason the offense as a whole can't be even better in 2022 given all the guys that will return combined with the presumed development of the current freshmen/growing more comfortable in the new scheme.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... line/57475

In almost 5000 comments in this forum about the 2021 team, that might be the nicest written. wow.
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:00 am It's interesting to note the people who are totally MIA from this thread after a solid win (or apparently only want to talk about coronavirus and show no interest in discussing lacrosse on a lacrosse forum), but are often non-stop posters during or after a loss.

Jays re-enter the top 20 this week at #15. Quint has us at #14.
51percentcorn wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:41 am Of course he has switched positions but the transformation of DeSimone is fairly remarkable - in the 24 games since his freshman year as a midfielder he compiled the following statistics

The kid passes the eye test too. He is much quicker and more confident dodging from X. This is the player a lot of people expected to see coming out of high school. QK mentioned the head-scratching weight gain his sophomore year during the broadcast. I certainly hope he returns next year. They'll lose Williams but no reason the offense as a whole can't be even better in 2022 given all the guys that will return combined with the presumed development of the current freshmen/growing more comfortable in the new scheme.
I am sure you are talking about me. But, I haven't commented for several reasons.
1) Because my kids are now in prime youth sports ages and I coach them in several of their sports. So I don't have a ton of time to watch. Sadly, it will likely get worse. Nor am I spending 10 bucks to watch a game on B!G+. Call me a cheapskate if you want. I watched some of the OSU game but after that only a little of the PSU game. I've followed the Twitter feed (which is sort of hit or miss on updates). Can't really comment on something I haven't seen. It has also been really nice and I'd rather be outside.
2) As I have said many times, I have no expectations for this season. This is about building for 2022 and beyond. I want to see/hear the coaches making adjustments through the season (if that comment about the prior staff not making in-season playing times - eek.) I want to see/hear in-game adjustments and I want to see/hear about players improving. Next year, if I can watch I'll be more critical and the year after that I'd be the same.
3) I don't live on this board like some people do. I have other things to do.
4) Overall, some of it due to no. 1, I've reduced my TV sports watching time for all sports not just lax. If anything COVID has shown that I want to trying to do more things outside and watch more sports in person if I can.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

Rewatched the game last night. The amazing thing to me was just how clean the offense was. Just really no unforced errors. Yes, the Jays had a lot of possession, and some of the possessions primarily involved making lots of adjacent passes, but you don't get this extra long possessions if you're dropping the ball or throwing bad passes. Defense was similarly fundamentally sound. Just solid team defense all around. Just a remarkably clean game, which is remarkable given that we're still pretty early in the season, no fall ball, not a ton of practice so far. Arrow is really pointing up.

Favorite moment of the game has to be the Mabbett goal. Really got to hand it to the kid, after that OSU game, he could have just packed it in. But he didn't - he's 100% better as an on ball defender and had a couple of good GBs as well. After his goal, loved how the team (Epstein in particular) embraced him. Big moment for him and I think for the team as well.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”