Hobart 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
oldbartman

Re: Hobart 2021

Post by oldbartman »

The fact that the coaches didn't put a big body, specifically a pole on the big LIU middie and didn't double him constantly is a real head scratcher. He wasn't hit once by anyone over 170 lbs. Move Mott back to attack and put Grooms on midfield and put Yanko on man-up We need more size at SSDM. Guys like Sampson. Meite, and Hocheimer all have better size and decent speed. FFG idea of moving Kiernan to SSDM is worth considering as well. Simas is another possibility there too. His decision making with the ball needs to improve. This team has a lot of individual talent. They really need talent to work together MUCH better, or it's wasted.
catchnshoot

Post by catchnshoot »

On top of it all LIU, was better than I thought they would be.
Big week of practice to get ready for MSM
You know after seeing us last week and film from this week
Gravante will have them ready for the rematch
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

Ketch wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:46 am
catchnshoot wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:10 am Ketch of course you are correct it’s only a single loss
The problem for me is that it was a terrible loss on every front
Coaching was lost, defense had guys standing on the crease unmatched all game , we watched a slow 270 pound midfielder do whatever he wanted, this was not a super athletic miles Jones type big boy, this guy was plodding around the field, no adjustments made.
Offense had no flow just a panicked mess, never felt like they had a big run in them
The players were pushed around and didn’t push back gotta show more heart than that
Too many unforced errors just throwing and catching
I don‘t dispute anything that you have to say. It was truly a debacle on all fronts, A true team loss. I even noticed that Knox turned the ball over 5 times! Still, I‘m willing to chalk this up as just a really off day and not an indication of what the team is capable of.
It will certainly help to have Mott back in the lineup, and soon. At that point, I would drop Dattelas down to attack and give him a shot there. Barthelme is not getting the job done (sorry, I hate to point out individual players in this manner, but the stats don‘t lie) and it might be time to mix it up. I like Grooms off the bench. He‘s very effective that way.
We focus on the LIU goalie, and he did have a great game, but I thought the defense in front of him was very solid and forced a lot of those terrible shots. In particular, they were very prepared for Archer and Knox and didn‘t get completely torched by them.
Gotta point out how completely miserable the defense was. Still think that can be fixed. Needs to be, and fast. But as I said, there‘s still a lot of season left, and this was only the second game.
This is what makes it so puzzling to me that we never see Yanko in there. Of course teams will prepare for Archer and Knox, but they cant prepare for what they haven't seen. When Archer and Knox are closed down, we often get some production outside from Madonna. But he seemed a bit off target yesterday. Wouldn't it make sense to have an excellent box player in there once in a while? As much as our D let them stand on the crease, we had some stone hands on the creas.

Sure missed Holdsn, Scott, and PJ ysstsrday.

Faicornell might be right that it was just an off game against a well practiced team. I also wonder if Smain is right that there was something unfamiliar about the surface -- seemed like players were losing their footing left and right. I wouldn't be too hard on Barthelme. Being big makes you a target. He just needs to work on shooting all week.

8 quarters of lax so far this year. 6 crappy and 2 good. The players are good and the potential is there. Getting it right is now a coaching issue. I expect a different look on Sat.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Especially considering how hard folks, including Coach Raymond, worked to keep Ty from leaving...

https://www.bcjall.com/news/new-west-s- ... k-to-canad
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:40 pm Especially considering how hard folks, including Coach Raymond, worked to keep Ty from leaving...

https://www.bcjall.com/news/new-west-s- ... k-to-canad
Key quote "Yanko is in the middle of a breakout box season where he finished the regular season with the 11th most points in the league, putting up 45 goals and 74 points on 22.6% shooting. "

An NLL goal is 19 sq. ft. compared to 36 sq. ft for a field lacrosse goal. Ty would know to expect passes on the crease.
SMAIN

Post by SMAIN »

Well, all wasn't bad....man-up opportunities were much improved. 0 for 4 against the Mount and 4 for 8 against LIU. Should be interesting how we do against the Mount, outside and not in the cozy confines of the bubble.
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

I've been thinking about the comment about why Hobart fans have existential crises after these types of losses. I honestly think it is from the D1-D3-D1 fiasco. That is over and far in the past now, but I think there is still a twinge in me that worries that something terrible will happen to the program if we have some bad seasons in a row. It is sad how that happened.
SMAIN, the other thing that wasn't bad was faceoffs. Shea is a Sofa King. (Sofa King Quick)
Ketch

Post by Ketch »

Laxgunea wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:26 pm I've been thinking about the comment about why Hobart fans have existential crises after these types of losses. I honestly think it is from the D1-D3-D1 fiasco. That is over and far in the past now, but I think there is still a twinge in me that worries that something terrible will happen to the program if we have some bad seasons in a row. It is sad how that happened.
SMAIN, the other thing that wasn't bad was faceoffs. Shea is a Sofa King. (Sofa King Quick)
The existential crisis comment was from me, and I think you hit the nail on the head with what I was saying. Other teams lose games and it‘s taken in stride. It happens. For us, though, every game somehow turns into a referendum on the program. I think that we need to take a step back and put things in perspective. We are a DI program that wins some and loses some. We have a home in an up and coming conference and have a pathway to the NCAAs every year. We have some great rivalries. We should be enjoying where we‘re at, even if we do have to face some painful losses like yesterday‘s.
Ketch

Post by Ketch »

Adam Shea is putting together quite a resume. Is he our next Bobby Dattilo? Has about the same stature as Bobby, which is why I find them so similar. Bobby had great stick skills once he got the ball. That‘s one of the things I remember about him. Not all FOGOs have that. It‘s too early to tell if Adam is the next Bobby, but let‘s hope.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Ketch wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:48 pm Adam Shea is putting together quite a resume. Is he our next Bobby Dattilo? Has about the same stature as Bobby, which is why I find them so similar. Bobby had great stick skills once he got the ball. That‘s one of the things I remember about him. Not all FOGOs have that. It‘s too early to tell if Adam is the next Bobby, but let‘s hope.
Recall Datillo being borderline sodomized every single game. Real dirt was done on him the last two years and rarely were opponents held accountable. We need to protect Shea more.
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:09 pm
Ketch wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:48 pm Adam Shea is putting together quite a resume. Is he our next Bobby Dattilo? Has about the same stature as Bobby, which is why I find them so similar. Bobby had great stick skills once he got the ball. That‘s one of the things I remember about him. Not all FOGOs have that. It‘s too early to tell if Adam is the next Bobby, but let‘s hope.
Recall Datillo being borderline sodomized every single game. Real dirt was done on him the last two years and rarely were opponents held accountable. We need to protect Shea more.
True. I think the rule changes help with that. It certainly let's Sheas quickness shine through. I thought the refs called a good tight game on Saturday (including allowing solid legal contact), and it should have helped us.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

While losing to a second year program is discouraging, we sure made their goalie look like a Rick Blick, Guy Van or even Freddie! More concerning to me was LIU's ability to break the D down 1v1 and the late/non-existent slides...especially when there were 2 attackers on the crease--someone's gotta go and knock down the shooter, at least. A disjointed season that will have many highs and lows given the quarantine nonsense. Would not want to be at practice this week, but, I'm sure we'll see some improvement from the lads this w/e.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Agreed. Our crease got owned by LIU like the Germanic hordes taking over Rome.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

The crease/backdoor has been open at Hobart for a dozen years. Why the coaches can't fix this is a major issue.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

To throw more gas on the fire, Inside Lacrosse called Saturday's debacle "LIU's Historic Win". Hope some of the offense players get moved around. We need Mott back and Yanko getting sone PT. Defense needs to go back to basics.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

It is a terrific win for them even if at home in an odd duck Covid year. Every post pointing out the problems I’ve made I’ve been cognizant of that it would be construed by LIU fans as a negative and that sucks. We have more or less owned CW Post historically and the fat middie wasn’t someone who could pull that vs St joes or Bryant like he did saturday but they should be proud and fired up. And they should hope they don’t see us in a NEC playoff game because it will be very different. MSM and SHU have pulled reg season wins against us only to get dropped cleanly in a conference playoff game and I wouldn’t expect different here.

But we didn’t do what was necessary and played at 25% of capability on that game. That’s on the staff not the kids given how small a rotation of bodies have been played and how many are FR and Sophs ignoring the upper class kids for whatever reason (don’t have the roster size if you aren’t going to play kids when the ones on the field aren’t doing what they are coached to do. At the same time there’s a reason BJ OHaras kid showed up on the roster like a club kid on a injury depleted team right before the season started). What’s frustrating is as opposed to the Kerwick and TW years where we’d get our adjusted every second half, Raymond and crew has generally made terrific second half adjustments but shat the bed in that respect last Saturday.
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

The other thing that kills me is thinking of Scott playing at Delaware. He'd have helped out a ton on Saturday. And even though he received plenty of recognition when he was here, I think we lost more than we realized when we lost Delpha. I agree with all the comments about leaving guys hanging on the crease; I think that was out biggest overall weakness on Saturday.

Still, all in all, I am pleased to see FY players like Datellas and Bach scoring. I was going to lose my mind if I heard the announcer called Barthelme "Bartholomew" one more time. I feel for Barthelme. I think he has skills, but he's been getting pushed around, and it's left him getting poor angles and weak shots. He hasn't put one in yet this year. It looks like he is lacking confidence.

Did anyone else see the hit on Sherman? It looked clean, but he went down hard. SSDM is a weak link for us right now (not because Sherman is weak, but because I don't know if we have the depth there to recover if he gets injured).
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

Laxgunea wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:48 pm The other thing that kills me is thinking of Scott playing at Delaware. He'd have helped out a ton on Saturday. And even though he received plenty of recognition when he was here, I think we lost more than we realized when we lost Delpha. I agree with all the comments about leaving guys hanging on the crease; I think that was out biggest overall weakness on Saturday.

Still, all in all, I am pleased to see FY players like Datellas and Bach scoring. I was going to lose my mind if I heard the announcer called Barthelme "Bartholomew" one more time. I feel for Barthelme. I think he has skills, but he's been getting pushed around, and it's left him getting poor angles and weak shots. He hasn't put one in yet this year. It looks like he is lacking confidence.

Did anyone else see the hit on Sherman? It looked clean, but he went down hard. SSDM is a weak link for us right now (not because Sherman is weak, but because I don't know if we have the depth there to recover if he gets injured).
As I have said, put Sampson, Hochheimer, Meite out there as SSDMs. we need better size. Better size becomes better leverage. FFG's idea of converting Kieran Keane they way they did with Noel McGuiness sounds good to me. I'm guessing all of them would be thrilled with some real PT.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Laxgunea wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:48 pm The other thing that kills me is thinking of Scott playing at Delaware. He'd have helped out a ton on Saturday. And even though he received plenty of recognition when he was here, I think we lost more than we realized when we lost Delpha. I agree with all the comments about leaving guys hanging on the crease; I think that was out biggest overall weakness on Saturday.

Not just Barthalemew, we also had Seth Mueller and Kevin Knox sightings. Not to mention they seem to think anyone running with the ball, even on the defensive side of the field was a fast break.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:20 pm

Not just Barthalemew, we also had Seth Mueller and Kevin Knox sightings per the home crew. Not to mention they seem to think anyone running with the ball, even on the defensive side of the field was a fast break.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”