Re: Johns Hopkins 2021

Post by flalax22 »

It’s been a long time. Welcome back Jays
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

bananas wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:20 pm Looking very good Gents
Wow.

Seven goals. Didn’t give up a single shot to Penn State. Winning faceoffs. Dazzling passes. Strong ride.

WINNING GROUNDBALLS.

DocBarrister :shock: :o
@DocBarrister
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

3Q. Best quarter of Hopkins lacrosse in a decade-plus. Positives:

- Mabbett
- Everything else

That is all.
primitiveskills

Need to keep playing
primitiveskills

Deso with the rusty gate from his knees!
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Let the students and band in next week. All gas no breaks. LFG.
DocBarrister

Hopkins Crushes Penn State

Post by DocBarrister »

Who’d a thunk it?!? :o

Huge win for Coach Milliman and his crew.

Blue Jays beat a ranked team at Homewood.

Hopkins now in the top half of the B1G.

Only issue ... where’s the band?

DocBarrister :D
@DocBarrister
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

That’s the best defensive performance in, I dunno, 10-12 years? Great team effort.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Pretty good showing for a D3 team, huh? If we're supposed to be D3, then I think PSU has to go MCLA.

That Mabbett goal was quite something—the whole team and bench erupted with emotion after that and you could tell it was something of a cathartic moment for him personally and for the program as a whole.

Up:

- We have two All-American caliber attackmen
- Nice debut for Martin
- Mabbett: 4 GBs and a goal. Better on D.
- Reinson's mitts
- Delaney is a huge asset in transition. 2 assists, another 3 GBs and a CT, 0 turnovers. Imagine if he'd been playing lacrosse the last few years
- Angelus is a really smart, crafty player. Super quick and always makes the right play
- Lilly had another brain fart on the clear but was otherwise good
- Narewski more than held his own against Arceri
- All Degnon does is score
- Outshot PSU 46-22
- Won GBs 28-25 against what had been a good GB team
- Only one blown clear though they only had 14 opportunities
- Only 10 turnovers. Caused 9
- Saw some Peshko, Raposo, and McDermott. Peshko should have had a goal but was robbed by PSU goalie. Chauvette must be hurt otherwise he likely would have been out there

Down:

- It's clear they're trying to get Zinn going but it's not happening
- Grimes' release is so quick and fluid but he's just not finding the back of the net
- Not a good 4th quarter but semi-understandable given the score of the game at that point
- PSU beat OSU last week and played Rutgers close week 1 but it's clear they're just not the same without Ament. Doesn't explain us winning FOs, clears, transition, turnovers, defense, etc.
- Kirson was fine but unspectacular

Been awhile since I've said this: It's a great day to be a Jay.
Chitown

Post by Chitown »

Oh My Goodness!

Where does the line form to get on "the Band wagon"?? ;) ;)

Improvement every week. That is all that we can ask and we got affirmation this week.

Play is looking pretty "solid" and fundamentals are getting much better.

The proverbial "light at the end of the Tunnel".

Just give us competitive games and improved "play" every week. Go Jays!! :D :D
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

HopFan16 wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:15 pm Pretty good showing for a D3 team, huh? If we're supposed to be D3, then I think PSU has to go MCLA.

That Mabbett goal was quite something—the whole team and bench erupted with emotion after that and you could tell it was something of a cathartic moment for him personally and for the program as a whole.

Up:

- Nice debut for Martin
- Reinson's mitts
- Delaney is a huge asset in transition. 2 assists, another 3 GBs and a CT, 0 turnovers. Imagine if he'd been playing lacrosse the last few years
- Angelus is a really smart, crafty player. Super quick and always makes the right play
- Outshot PSU 46-22
- Saw some Peshko, Raposo, and McDermott. Peshko should have had a goal but was robbed by PSU goalie. Chauvette must be hurt otherwise he likely would have been out there

Down:

- Grimes' release is so quick and fluid but he's just not finding the back of the net
- Not a good 4th quarter but semi-understandable given the score of the game at that point
- PSU beat OSU last week and played Rutgers close week 1 but it's clear they're just not the same without Ament. Doesn't explain us winning FOs, clears, transition, turnovers, defense, etc.

Blue Jays won on the hustle plays: caused turnovers, GBs, and faceoffs.

Hopkins also won in the middle of the field, with an effective ride and efficient clears.

Penn State really played into the strength of the Hopkins D, working hard to dodge against the Blue Jays. It won’t be easy for anyone to dodge against Hopkins this year. If you’re going to score, you need to move the ball against the Blue Jay D.

Glad to see Kirson hit 50% on saves today. Defense finally played well in front of him and turnovers were limited by the Blue Jays.

It’s been impressive how much the Blue Jays have improved every week under the new staff.

DocBarrister :)
@DocBarrister
Hoponboard

Post by Hoponboard »

One defensive stat jumps out at me: Hopkins has only given up one man-up goal in four games and committed only five penalties. Demonstrates the hustle and positioning of the defense.

From game one to game four, Mabbett has shown remarkable development at a new position for him. The team emotion around his goal shows the appreciation his teammates have for him. Remember, Fernandez was supposed to be the key addition to the middle of the field.

Quint had more complimentary things to say about Jays’ play than I have heard from him since 2015. Holding PSU to their lowest goal total in 63 games is quite an achievement. Of course, these two teams will have a rematch in 15 days.
Last edited by Hoponboard on Sat Mar 13, 2021 3:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
genghiskhanbluejay

Post by genghiskhanbluejay »

What a game! I wish I could have been there.
I queued up the fight song on youtube and played it for my 11 year old son and had him do the count up ending in we want more after every goal.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJgwCFbJjtU
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

HopFan16 wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:15 pm Pretty good showing for a D3 team, huh? If we're supposed to be D3, then I think PSU has to go MCLA.

Up:

- Nice debut for Martin
- Reinson's mitts
- Outshot PSU 46-22

Down:

Excellent effort today.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

congrats jays. can't wait until you're insufferable again.
Catbird

Post by Catbird »

Great day to be a Jay indeed!

Love the win, but what's more they're improving week by week at all positions on the field. Congrats to Coach Milliman, first win at Homewood and it should be a memorable one.

Looks like Rutgers is probably going to have to join us in D3.

But seriously, MD clearly just has another gear that no one else in conference has right now. We played them just as well as the #4 team in the country. No question I think right now its MD, Duke, and UNC in a pile then everyone else. Maybe Georgetown - we'll see.
primitiveskills

Catbird wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:00 pm
Love the win, but what's more they're improving week by week at all positions on the field. Congrats to Coach Milliman, first win at Homewood and it should be a memorable one.
The week-to-week improvement has been nothing short of remarkable. Speaks really well for the coaching staff.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”