Hobart 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
LRoggy

Re: Hobart 2021

Post by LRoggy »

This game is a freaking nightmare . . . I've never seen numbers like this for a team losing
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

Sloppy play by Hobart. LIU outplaying Hobart in all facets.
Ketch

Post by Ketch »

True. We were completely outplayed and embarrassed by LIU. We need to get a lot better if we want to stay on the same field with Bryant and St. Joe's.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

Hats off to LIU Post. They out played Hobart when it counted. Great goalie play by LIU, 24 saves. Not sure why Knox wasn't in during Q1. Once again our defense looked totally confused in the first half. Holtby was left on an island too many times early on. Our SSDMs couldn't stop #10. Why wasn't Nalen on him? Right now, every oppenent is expect a W after watching this game. Shooting drills for the entire team all week in practice. Mt. St. Mary are licking their chops.
catchnshoot

Post by catchnshoot »

Adam Shea has a gem of a game 22-30 in a completely wasted effort.
Why does Knox sit the first 22 minutes?
Are we ready to move on from Barthelme, he’s been manhandled in every game last year and this season. Producing nothing.
How many unforced errors??
Balter was giving away over 100 lbs to their #10
Sherman was much better today and did a lot of hard work
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

Holtby and Shea did their parts. Datillas and Archer did well, and Knox nailed a few when he was in. But the team play was terrible. I was shocked by the terrible shot selection and poor accuracy. And the defense allowing players to sit on the crease ... I thought we got past that in 2018.
Worst of all, what was a dynamic offense last year turned into a frantic undisciplined offense.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

Barthelme should be behind. He can see over everyone. He does need to work on his footwark. Our defense was as disorganized as I have ever watched in the D I era. Time for Coach Raymond to get that together. We missed Mott today. A steady pair of hands certainly would have helped. Shea kept us in the game and Datellas is doing great playing out of position at midield. They play like this anymore this season, they will be spectators in May.
SMAIN

Post by SMAIN »

Don't like excuses, but has the team been out side the bubble at all?
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

Not to be totally negative..... Congrats to Bobby Baltzer, Adam Davis, Chad Bach & Mark Synott on their first goals as a Statesmen.
catchnshoot

Post by catchnshoot »

I’m watching Rutgers v MD
Whole different level of lacrosse than the Statesmen played today
Actually it looks like a different sport
shoothi

Post by shoothi »

There is yet to be a great defensive player who constantly crosses his feet instead of being able to shuffle, be it lacrosse, basketball or a db in football. Simple defensive technique, shuffle with a wide base in an athletic position.

The Hobart D today was allowing LIU players to go anywhere they wanted too, got pushed around all day. Sliding from the front.....why, lots of D guys were caught in no mans land so many times.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

shoothi wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:48 pm There is yet to be a great defensive player who constantly crosses his feet instead of being able to shuffle, be it lacrosse, basketball or a db in football. Simple defensive technique, shuffle with a wide base in an athletic position.

The Hobart D today was allowing LIU players to go anywhere they wanted too, got pushed around all day. Sliding from the front.....why, lots of D guys were caught in no mans land so many times.
Lax IQ was lacking in almost every position for Hobart today. I thought this team would play smarter. They didn't. Yes LIUs' goalie was hot. But our shot placement, and choice of when to shoot, was just bad. Holtby would've had a much better day if the back door wasn't left open for most of the game. Knocking down, or at least putting a shoulder into the shooter seems to no longer be part of our defense. Practice hard, or be watching in May.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

shoothi wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:48 pm There is yet to be a great defensive player who constantly crosses his feet instead of being able to shuffle, be it lacrosse, basketball or a db in football. Simple defensive technique, shuffle with a wide base in an athletic position.

Lax IQ was lacking in almost every position for Hobart today. I thought this team would play smarter. They didn't. Yes LIUs' goalie was hot. But our shot placement, and choice of when to shoot, was just bad. Holtby would've had a much better day if the back door wasn't left open for most of the game. Knocking down, or at least putting a shoulder into the shooter seems to no longer be part of our defense. Practice hard, or be watching in May.
FL-GO

Post by FL-GO »

Sadly this program is doomed to be an irrelevant mid major unless we can get some help like Pres Vincent was looking into before he had to resign.

This was a bad loss - will certainly keep Raymond from getting poached by deeper pockets as was the fear a cpl years ago - but LIU appears to be much better than advertised as well.

Only 2nd game, will be telling how they look in MD next.
Ketch

Post by Ketch »

FL-GO wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:00 pm Sadly this program is doomed to be an irrelevant mid major unless we can get some help like Pres Vincent was looking into before he had to resign.

This was a bad loss - will certainly keep Raymond from getting poached by deeper pockets as was the fear a cpl years ago - but LIU appears to be much better than advertised as well.

Only 2nd game, will be telling how they look in MD next.
Let‘s not go overboard with the pessimism. Half of the teams that played yesterday lost. Why does a loss always produce an existential crisis among Hobart fans? There is a lot of season left for the team to come around.
catchnshoot

Post by catchnshoot »

Ketch of course you are correct it’s only a single loss
The problem for me is that it was a terrible loss on every front
Coaching was lost, defense had guys standing on the crease unmatched all game , we watched a slow 270 pound midfielder do whatever he wanted, this was not a super athletic miles Jones type big boy, this guy was plodding around the field, no adjustments made.
Offense had no flow just a panicked mess, never felt like they had a big run in them
The players were pushed around and didn’t push back gotta show more heart than that
Too many unforced errors just throwing and catching
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

When that kid ran around the cage I literally thought my computer fell into slow motion. And then he scores...
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Ketch

Post by Ketch »

catchnshoot wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:10 am Ketch of course you are correct it’s only a single loss
The problem for me is that it was a terrible loss on every front
Coaching was lost, defense had guys standing on the crease unmatched all game , we watched a slow 270 pound midfielder do whatever he wanted, this was not a super athletic miles Jones type big boy, this guy was plodding around the field, no adjustments made.
Offense had no flow just a panicked mess, never felt like they had a big run in them
The players were pushed around and didn’t push back gotta show more heart than that
Too many unforced errors just throwing and catching
I don‘t dispute anything that you have to say. It was truly a debacle on all fronts, A true team loss. I even noticed that Knox turned the ball over 5 times! Still, I‘m willing to chalk this up as just a really off day and not an indication of what the team is capable of.
It will certainly help to have Mott back in the lineup, and soon. At that point, I would drop Dattelas down to attack and give him a shot there. Barthelme is not getting the job done (sorry, I hate to point out individual players in this manner, but the stats don‘t lie) and it might be time to mix it up. I like Grooms off the bench. He‘s very effective that way.
We focus on the LIU goalie, and he did have a great game, but I thought the defense in front of him was very solid and forced a lot of those terrible shots. In particular, they were very prepared for Archer and Knox and didn‘t get completely torched by them.
Gotta point out how completely miserable the defense was. Still think that can be fixed. Needs to be, and fast. But as I said, there‘s still a lot of season left, and this was only the second game.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Statesmen faithful: FWIW, my biggest take away of the game was that Hobart played a team with three games under their belt, at home. Also a team that had experienced more practice in more favorable weather.

Also, FWIW, LIU is gelling. They've had the talent, but are now just figuring out how to put it together.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Why not try giving Kieran Keane a short stick? Know the kid works hard and plays DE on the football team (limited) so he can get laterally around as DEs have to cover the flat often or drop back into coverage. He’s got size. Baltzer was literally giving up 105lbs to the large middie whos 260lbs (and whom coach Raymond made a point of talking about in Fridays podcast so how he was able to do what he did is more head scratching since he was a focus and we’re not talking Yeatman/Dingman caliber talent)
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”