D1 Mens Lacrosse
wgdsr

Re: Johns Hopkins 2021

Post by wgdsr »

DocBarrister wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:37 pm
Big Dog wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:28 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:32 pm
Big Dog wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:19 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:02 pm If the city of Baltimore fully opened up the way the governor wanted it to, the chances of us finishing our season on time—or at all—would be much, much lower. The only reason we're having a season right now is because the city and school have been doing a good job keeping community spread down. If anything happens that reverses that trend, it wouldn't be good news for us.
Could you share the science/data behind your prognostication?
If they open everything in Baltimore back up, cases are likely to rise, and Hopkins could shut campus down again. I wouldn't necessarily agree with that decision if it were to happen, but that's what they would do.

The worst part is that it's usually a delayed effect. If you open up all indoor dining right now, you could see a rise in infections about 4-6 weeks from now. This has been documented in many counties across the country.

That means it could potentially impact the team's ability to finish the season and play in the conference tournament (which looks like our only path to the playoffs right now). If you are a Hopkins fan who wants to see a full season, you should be rooting for a gradual reopening of activity in accordance with the vaccine rollout and not a sudden lifting of all or most restrictions, especially on indoor dining.

We're in the home stretch. It's looking like things could be really good by May or June. It is my strong preference that the city/state/country finish strong these next couple of months and not jump the gun—especially because doing so could impact my ability to watch the Jays finish the season.
If, if, if. What are the numbers? By how much will positivity increase? 1%? 5%? 50%?

(I am a Hopkins fan and a grad of the top school of Public Health in the world where they teach Biostatistics and Epidemiology, i.e., real science, not 'strong preferences' based on some sort of gut feel.)
Well, then, why don’t you provide the numbers?

DocBarrister :?
he didn't make the proclamation.
Drcthru

Post by Drcthru »

I'm sorry, dude flashes his credentials then asks someone with fewer, if any, credentials to provide answers :roll:
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to do the dishes.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

shut it down. shut it all down.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Drcthru wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:22 pm I'm sorry, dude flashes his credentials then asks someone with fewer, if any, credentials to provide answers :roll:
That was my reaction.
I'd be interested in what Big Dog thinks are appropriate numbers to the question he asks...seems to me that if someone has actual expertise in this, it would be helpful to share whatever specifics he can.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

primitiveskills wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:54 pm I love the way this board always seems to devolve 24 hours before gametime.
-winning would help and if not for cuomo's stuff we'd be reading stories about what has to be behind the scenes internecine warfare between the ivies and their parents/alumni over the present/future of their athletics which make us look like polite grandmas.

-watched the student rec center renovation video. Looks interesting but always thought the d3 athletic building/pools etc was what really needed an upgrade.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

jhu06 wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:33 pm
primitiveskills wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:54 pm I love the way this board always seems to devolve 24 hours before gametime.
-winning would help and if not for cuomo's stuff we'd be reading stories about what has to be behind the scenes internecine warfare between the ivies and their parents/alumni over the present/future of their athletics which make us look like polite grandmas.

-watched the student rec center renovation video. Looks interesting but always thought the d3 athletic building/pools etc was what really needed an upgrade.
are they building it with robots?
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

Not sure who asked but I was just told limited numbers of tickets have been made available for parents and family members only.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

flalax22 wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:05 pm Not sure who asked but I was just told limited numbers of tickets have been made available for parents and family members only.
trombonists are family.
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:02 pm If the city of Baltimore fully opened up the way the governor wanted it to, the chances of us finishing our season on time—or at all—would be much, much lower. The only reason we're having a season right now is because the city and school have been doing a good job keeping community spread down. If anything happens that reverses that trend, it wouldn't be good news for us.
If they open everything in Baltimore back up, cases are likely to rise, and Hopkins could shut campus down again. I wouldn't necessarily agree with that decision if it were to happen, but that's what they would do.

The worst part is that it's usually a delayed effect. If you open up all indoor dining right now, you could see a rise in infections about 4-6 weeks from now. This has been documented in many counties across the country.

That means it could potentially impact the team's ability to finish the season and play in the conference tournament (which looks like our only path to the playoffs right now). If you are a Hopkins fan who wants to see a full season, you should be rooting for a gradual reopening of activity in accordance with the vaccine rollout and not a sudden lifting of all or most restrictions, especially on indoor dining.

We're in the home stretch. It's looking like things could be really good by May or June. It is my strong preference that the city/state/country finish strong these next couple of months and not jump the gun—especially because doing so could impact my ability to watch the Jays finish the season.
If, if, if. What are the numbers? By how much will positivity increase? 1%? 5%? 50%?

(I am a Hopkins fan and a grad of the top school of Public Health in the world where they teach Biostatistics and Epidemiology, i.e., real science, not 'strong preferences' based on some sort of gut feel.)

Numbers for what? I have not made any claims that need to be justified.

As an aside, it's the Mayor's legal responsiblity to justify the continued lockdown with numbers. Per yesterday's Sun:
“The numbers and public health indicators clearly do not warrant a reopening at the governor’s pace at this time,” Scott’s spokeswoman Stefanie Mavronis said....

City officials plan to reevaluate the restrictions during the week of March 21, Mavronis said, in accordance with an informal schedule Scott has established to review coronavirus-related data every four weeks and consider adjustments.
Last edited by Big Dog on Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnnyonthegunpowder

Post by johnnyonthegunpowder »

Has Milliman done a post game press conference yet? He's not going all Biden on us is he?
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

johnnyonthegunpowder wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:04 pm Has Milliman done a post game press conference yet?
Yes.
johnnyonthegunpowder

HopFan16 wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:04 pm
johnnyonthegunpowder wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:04 pm Has Milliman done a post game press conference yet?
Yes.
Where?
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

johnnyonthegunpowder wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:33 pm
Yes.
Where?
On the Johns Hopkins University men's lacrosse internet website.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Big Dog wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:56 pm

As an aside, it's the Mayor's legal responsiblity to justify the continued lockdown with numbers. Per yesterday's Sun:
“The numbers and public health indicators clearly do not warrant a reopening at the governor’s pace at this time,” Scott’s spokeswoman Stefanie Mavronis said....

City officials plan to reevaluate the restrictions during the week of March 21, Mavronis said, in accordance with an informal schedule Scott has established to review coronavirus-related data every four weeks and consider adjustments.
well, i'm glad they have an informal schedule to review every month or so in case something changes, and it's not an informal review every quarter or semi-annual. if things got worse, that might be a little late.
johnnyonthegunpowder

HopFan16 wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:38 pm
Yes.
Where?
Yeah, not seeing it or on the Youtube page where they're usually posted. And, when I search "Johns Hopkins University men's lacrosse internet website" it also doesn't come up. Link?
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Big Dog,
You seemed to be overtly challenging on the topic, asking specific numerical, scientific questions of a fellow poster, then turning around and telling us you'd be the sort of person who might actually have the numerical answers to those sorts of specific questions...thus, the responsive question, what do you think are the answers, how much spread would happen, how many deaths and other adverse outcomes would occur...or did we have the point of your questions incorrect?

Or perhaps you could suggest what those answers would need to be to be supportive (or vice versa) to the "claims" that opening up entirely, prematurely, might lead to a surge in the virus, with negative outcomes.

As this is the Hopkins lax thread, I suppose one might have the possibility of an actual scientifically informed discussion of the virus spread, with maybe posters with backgrounds perhaps like yours, but I think that discussion would be more probable on the thread devoted specifically to the virus...quite a few well informed folks over there.

But if you want to have that discussion here, come on, you could contribute to our understanding. Share your knowledge.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

johnnyonthegunpowder wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:10 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:38 pm
Yes.
Where?
Yeah, not seeing it or on the Youtube page where they're usually posted. And, when I search "Johns Hopkins University men's lacrosse internet website" it also doesn't come up. Link?
Here is the one from Ohio State. I don't know where the ones from Mich and UMD are.

https://hopkinssports.com/news/2021/2/2 ... -14-8.aspx
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:29 pm

Big Dog,
You seemed to be overtly challenging on the topic, asking specific numerical, scientific questions of a fellow poster, then turning around and telling us you'd be the sort of person who might actually have the numerical answers to those sorts of specific questions...thus, the responsive question, what do you think are the answers, how much spread would happen, how many deaths and other adverse outcomes would occur...or did we have the point of your questions incorrect?

Or perhaps you could suggest what those answers would need to be to be supportive (or vice versa) to the "claims" that opening up entirely, prematurely, might lead to a surge in the virus, with negative outcomes.

As this is the Hopkins lax thread, I suppose one might have the possibility of an actual scientifically informed discussion of the virus spread, with maybe posters with backgrounds perhaps like yours, but I think that discussion would be more probable on the thread devoted specifically to the virus...quite a few well informed folks over there.

But if you want to have that discussion here, come on, you could contribute to our understanding. Share your knowledge.
please...stop.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

wgdsr wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:56 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:29 pm

Big Dog,

please...stop.
why?
Big Dog appears to have something to contribute, why not ask him to simply do so?
He's suggested that he has some expertise that I know I don't have, so why not ask?
He challenged another poster, suggesting that he wants more than "gut feel", that he himself has specific expertise, so why not ask him to share what numbers would satisfy him?

Seems to me that if he has numbers or rationale that would support a total opening in Baltimore ala the Texas Governor's decisions, he should go ahead and share them with us.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

I believe there is a game today. Play ball.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”