Johns Hopkins 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
flalax22

Re: Johns Hopkins 2021

Post by flalax22 »

jhu06 wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:49 am -game notes spotlight a few issues to really worry about. We know the faceoff situation, but the nittany tambronis are very good gb/clear team. Having extended periods on defense killed us second half against terps.
-lilly/mabett/jaronski have combined for 5 gbs so far this year. that's not getting it done at the ssdm position.
-Looked last week like Milliman started to bench guys like baskin and zinn for careless ball handling. Interesting after a month of games what he no longer finds excusable if it continues from others.
I’ve never had the appreciation for Baskin’s game that others seem to have had. Especially Bobby Benson. He’s small, doesn’t run by anyone, has a grand total of 5 assists in 35 plus games. The upside is he doesn’t turn it over much but he doesn’t make anything happen out there. Zinn with his potential has been disappointing. I really thought he would figure the college game out even if it was simply a dodge, draw and dump game.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Zinn wasn’t playing for a reason.

When Kyle Harrison and Benson Irwin arrived each had things needing improvement. Kyle went out each day on his own and took 100 shots to get rid of a hitch he had in his shooting. Every day. Benson took up boxing to improve his footwork on his own initiative. Still one of the best ssdm to play the game.

Someone once said to me a certain middle on the team couldn’t hit Lake Ontario if he was standing on the shore.
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:02 pm If the city of Baltimore fully opened up the way the governor wanted it to, the chances of us finishing our season on time—or at all—would be much, much lower. The only reason we're having a season right now is because the city and school have been doing a good job keeping community spread down. If anything happens that reverses that trend, it wouldn't be good news for us.
Could you share the science/data behind your prognostication?
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Big Dog wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:19 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:02 pm If the city of Baltimore fully opened up the way the governor wanted it to, the chances of us finishing our season on time—or at all—would be much, much lower. The only reason we're having a season right now is because the city and school have been doing a good job keeping community spread down. If anything happens that reverses that trend, it wouldn't be good news for us.
If they open everything in Baltimore back up, cases are likely to rise, and Hopkins could shut campus down again. I wouldn't necessarily agree with that decision if it were to happen, but that's what they would do.

The worst part is that it's usually a delayed effect. If you open up all indoor dining right now, you could see a rise in infections about 4-6 weeks from now. This has been documented in many counties across the country.

That means it could potentially impact the team's ability to finish the season and play in the conference tournament (which looks like our only path to the playoffs right now). If you are a Hopkins fan who wants to see a full season, you should be rooting for a gradual reopening of activity in accordance with the vaccine rollout and not a sudden lifting of all or most restrictions, especially on indoor dining.

We're in the home stretch. It's looking like things could be really good by May or June. It is my strong preference that the city/state/country finish strong these next couple of months and not jump the gun—especially because doing so could impact my ability to watch the Jays finish the season.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

HopFan16 wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:32 pm
If they open everything in Baltimore back up, cases are likely to rise, and Hopkins could shut campus down again. I wouldn't necessarily agree with that decision if it were to happen, but that's what they would do.

The worst part is that it's usually a delayed effect. If you open up all indoor dining right now, you could see a rise in infections about 4-6 weeks from now. This has been documented in many counties across the country.

That means it could potentially impact the team's ability to finish the season and play in the conference tournament (which looks like our only path to the playoffs right now). If you are a Hopkins fan who wants to see a full season, you should be rooting for a gradual reopening of activity in accordance with the vaccine rollout and not a sudden lifting of all or most restrictions, especially on indoor dining.

We're in the home stretch. It's looking like things could be really good by May or June. It is my strong preference that the city/state/country finish strong these next couple of months and not jump the gun—especially because doing so could impact my ability to watch the Jays finish the season.
maryland had no issues last weekend. they shouldn't be able to beat us on the field and in the stands.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

i doubt he will.
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

If, if, if. What are the numbers? By how much will positivity increase? 1%? 5%? 50%?

(I am a Hopkins fan and a grad of the top school of Public Health in the world where they teach Biostatistics and Epidemiology, i.e., real science, not 'strong preferences' based on some sort of gut feel.)
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

44WeWantMore wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:57 am It would be nice if steel_hop could be wrong occasionally.
I am assuming we are talking about the fact there won't be any fans in the stand. I'm not sure why it was surprising. It isn't like Erlich down in Montgomery Co isn't doing the same thing. If you can help it, you can't let a member of the other party dictate to actions to you. Better to see you as the benevolent ruler removing restrictions than someone else even if that means citizens are under the thumb for a few extra weeks.

Also, politicians like to play up for their next election or seek out promotions. News at 11.
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

In other words, no, you have no scientific basis for that position. If anything this virus has demonstrated it is season and that it is following almost the same exact path as the Spanish Flu. Shocker...respiratory virus' outbreak follows historic patterns of other respiratory virus outbreaks.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Here you go, nerds:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/05/heal ... masks.html

Here is how I arrived at my conclusion.

1. Hopkins has shown to be very serious about community spread when it decides whether or not to open up campus (or allow athletics). We've already seen them shut things down for 10 days because of a single party in which no lacrosse members was involved.
2. I am a lacrosse fan. Opening the city back up could spook Hopkins into shutting campus down again. Opening up dining has led to increased infection rates in other counties, per the CDC. It is conceivable it could happen in Baltimore.
3. If Hopkins shuts campus down again then the season will be impacted. I don't want the season to be impacted.

It's that simple. I'm not sure why that's controversial. I think we can all agree that opening up the city of Baltimore completely (which, by implication, seems to be what some of you want to happen?) would not decrease the chances that Hopkins has to shut down. Best case scenario it makes no change. But that is a risk that is not worth taking if you are a Hopkins fan who values getting to watch them play more than you do eating in a packed restaurant for another two months.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

HopFan16 wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:45 pm Here you go, nerds:

1. Hopkins has shown to be very serious about community spread when it decides whether or not to open up campus (or allow athletics). We've already seen them shut things down for 10 days because of a single party in which no lacrosse members was involved.
2. I am a lacrosse fan. Opening the city back up could spook Hopkins into shutting campus down again. Opening up dining has led to increased infection rates in other counties, per the CDC. It is conceivable it could happen in Baltimore.
3. If Hopkins shuts campus down again then the season will be impacted. I don't want the season to be impacted.

It's that simple. I'm not sure why that's controversial. I think we can all agree that opening up the city of Baltimore completely (which, by implication, seems to be what some of you want to happen?) would not decrease the chances that Hopkins has to shut down. Best case scenario it makes no change. But that is a risk that is not worth taking if you are a Hopkins fan who values getting to watch them play more than you do eating in a packed restaurant for another two months.
Everyone else will play through it....Hopkins must not be following the science and are looking for an excuse to dismantle sports.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:48 pm

Everyone else will play through it....Hopkins must not be following the science and are looking for an excuse to dismantle sports.
Is this a jab at the Ivy League or are you being serious (hard to tell sometimes). Has nothing to do with sports really. It's about whether or not they keep the entire campus open.

"Everyone else will play through it"—what are you talking about? Games are getting canceled left and right for single positive tests in programs or small outbreaks at schools. How many games has UMass played this year? Hopkins comparatively has done a good job and shown a commitment to lacrosse. Centennial Conference is playing now too.
Typical Lax Dad

HopFan16 wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:53 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:48 pm

Has nothing to do with sports really. It's about whether or not they keep the entire campus open.

"Everyone else will play through it"—what are you talking about? Games are getting canceled left and right for single positive tests in programs or small outbreaks at schools. How many games has UMass played this year? Hopkins comparatively has done a good job and shown a commitment to lacrosse. Centennial Conference is playing now too.
Yes. I was mocking the folks that drop in on the Ivy thread. I am all for doing less so young people can do more.
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

You mean the study that showed opening restaurants showed a 1% difference between the two. Yup, sounds like we should be shut down.

Since December 1st, here is the difference between states with mandates compared to states without mandates.

https://twitter.com/abirballan/status/1 ... 2646577161

And this isn't even getting into other factors like the fact we aren't even talking about restaurants but allowing fans in the stands. Because right now, the Orioles will be allowed to have 25% capacity. The Ravens were allowed 10% way back last November.

https://www.wbaltv.com/article/orioles- ... 20capacity.

But, Hopkins can't have 500 people in the stands. Where does this go when someone talks about following the science?

I have no idea are parents allowed into the stands at Hopkins? If not, then shame on Hopkins for not fighting to let parents into the stands to watch their kids.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

lol. they have no explanation for why no rise for 40 days other than "people took time to start going".
nor whether many other things opened upat the same time.
nor when the start dates for when lifting would've occurred. which would've likely been late summer. just before the seasonal surge. unless it wasn't seasonal?

whaddaya think? seasonal or indoor dining?
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

steel_hop wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:55 pm And this isn't even getting into other factors like the fact we aren't even talking about restaurants but allowing fans in the stands. Because right now, the Orioles will be allowed to have 25% capacity. The Ravens were allowed 10% way back last November.
Actually, my post that was quoted that started all this was in reference to Hogan's order to open many things back up in the state, not just to allow fans in the stands.

For the record, I am in favor of allowing limited attendance. I'd love to attend a game at Homewood this year. I think it can be done safely.

But I am also not in favor of more sweeping policy changes that could increase the odds that the season is impacted. That's all.

It's not just about 1%. Loosening indoor restrictions could give students license to act more recklessly/go against university policy in terms of indoor gatherings. "Hey, the governor said we can all eat inside, why can't we throw a rager in our rat-infested basement?" I don't want another Wawa party ruining the season. It's that simple.
Last edited by HopFan16 on Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Typical Lax Dad

steel_hop wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:55 pm

You mean the study that showed opening restaurants showed a 1% difference between the two. Yup, sounds like we should be shut down.

Since December 1st, here is the difference between states with mandates compared to states without mandates.

https://twitter.com/abirballan/status/1 ... 2646577161

And this isn't even getting into other factors like the fact we aren't even talking about restaurants but allowing fans in the stands. Because right now, the Orioles will be allowed to have 25% capacity. The Ravens were allowed 10% way back last November.

https://www.wbaltv.com/article/orioles- ... 20capacity.

But, Hopkins can't have 500 people in the stands. Where does this go when someone talks about following the science?

I have no idea are parents allowed into the stands at Hopkins? If not, then shame on Hopkins for not fighting to let parents into the stands to watch their kids.
Do you know if no mask mandate means people aren’t wearing masks?
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Big Dog wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:28 pm

If, if, if. What are the numbers? By how much will positivity increase? 1%? 5%? 50%?

(I am a Hopkins fan and a grad of the top school of Public Health in the world where they teach Biostatistics and Epidemiology, i.e., real science, not 'strong preferences' based on some sort of gut feel.)
Well, then, why don’t you provide the numbers?

DocBarrister :?
@DocBarrister
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

I love the way this board always seems to devolve 24 hours before gametime.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

primitiveskills wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:54 pm I love the way this board always seems to devolve 24 hours before gametime.
Usually for 24 hours after gametime too.

PS they are doing the YouTube pregame show again tomorrow at 10:30 on the Hopkins Sports channel. Interview with Conner Delaney and spotlight on men's and women's lax alums in the healthcare industry.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”