Loyola Greyhounds 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
houndace1

Re: Loyola Greyhounds 2021

Post by houndace1 »

GreyingHound wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:28 pm
Laxfan#1969 wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:00 am
Does anyone know when Kamish is coming back? If you don't think this team misses him, youre crazy...he was trending into being our best ball carrier already last year as a freshman and his athleticism is arguably tops of anyone on our offense...we need him back ASAP...we will do fine without him vs Lafayette (same level of team as Utah), but I sure hope he's back next week vs Bucknell and he's healthy...we need him period...not even debatable

We robbed Peter to pay Paul by putting James at attack and I get it, we had to because we're thin due to attrition and injury... frankly if you want run Kamish out of the box, then great...he will be our best downhill dodger immediately when he returns...he was one of our top 3-4 offensive players coming into the season, and injury (if he makes a full recovery) won't change that...we need him back...we are a better team with him on the field

And it goes with out saying when you get slammed at the face off x, it's gonna be tough to win

Our defense hung in as best the could...played hard...but we need to win the ground ball battles and be the tougher team...

We will be fine this weekend v Lafayette...but I'm looking beyond that
I may be crazy, but I think James is more effective down low than Kamish was. I would leave James on attack. To me, having Wigley back in the lineup would have a bigger impact than Kamish. We need middies who can dodge and draw a slide. Wigley can do that. We've seen a middie here and there step up and have a good game. It was Swindell against Lehigh, and Seay against Richmond, but they're not playing as a unit by any means. I don't know why Cox is still out there.
Reportedly, he is playing on another level as compared to years prior, but I don't see it at all. All of the midfielder's game against Lehigh looked as if they were trying to burn shots past the goalie from 15-20 yards out, and then if that didnt work they'd give it to olmstead or lindley to try and force something to happen. I really don't get it
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

laxbro11 wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:54 am
GreyingHound wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:12 pm
houndace1 wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:42 am
And if we're not fine against Lafayette.. then what? The offense worries me every game
LOL. We'll be fine against Lafayette. Not to be too disparaging, but Lafayette is not a good team. I watched their game against Fairfield today ("working from home"), and they have some skilled players, but, and I don't know any other way to say this, they don't appear to be a well-coached team. They made mistakes today that I wouldn't expect from a high school team. Most egregious, they were EMO with 5 seconds left in the 2nd quarter, and rather than just holding the ball for the final seconds and being assured to start the second half without faceoff and man-up, they tried to jam a pass inside that was intercepted. Their clearing game was horrendous.

We won't have any trouble with Lafayette, and I hope it's an opportunity for out starters to get healthy.
That is the problem, we are fine against below average teams, but struggle against average to above average. There is no sense of urgency on this team. It really looks like they are playing for their own stats and not to win as a team. That was what was great about Pat Spencer, he was just as happy to get an assist as he was a goal. All our middies think that they can take a 20+ step down and put it by the goalie. It has not happened. Look at shooting percentages. Van Arsdale has not changed anything in two years. The same players are doing the same things they did last year. It is time to change things up, get some chemistry, if it means not playing Srs or Jrs, bench them... It may set a fire under them and make them more competitive.

Your offense should be focused around the strength of the team, not trying to make the players fit an offense
If you were coaching, who would you run? who is the table setter, and who serves as cutters and step down shooters? This forum already knows my up and down feelings about Olmstead as the QB. He can spot up shoot real nice (see his step down goals against Utah, Syracuse in 2019, Lehigh 2019 to name a few)

I always thought that having players fit a good system, and then recruiting guys in HS to fit that system would generally yield positive results. Maybe its why Loyola has always been able to achieve success even when they don't get the star studded recruits year in year out.
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

houndace1 wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:42 am
And if we're not fine against Lafayette.. then what? The offense worries me every game
LOL. We'll be fine against Lafayette. Not to be too disparaging, but Lafayette is not a good team. I watched their game against Fairfield today ("working from home"), and they have some skilled players, but, and I don't know any other way to say this, they don't appear to be a well-coached team. They made mistakes today that I wouldn't expect from a high school team. Most egregious, they were EMO with 5 seconds left in the 2nd quarter, and rather than just holding the ball for the final seconds and being assured to start the second half without faceoff and man-up, they tried to jam a pass inside that was intercepted. Their clearing game was horrendous.

We won't have any trouble with Lafayette, and I hope it's an opportunity for out starters to get healthy.
That is the problem, we are fine against below average teams, but struggle against average to above average. There is no sense of urgency on this team. It really looks like they are playing for their own stats and not to win as a team. That was what was great about Pat Spencer, he was just as happy to get an assist as he was a goal. All our middies think that they can take a 20+ step down and put it by the goalie. It has not happened. Look at shooting percentages. Van Arsdale has not changed anything in two years. The same players are doing the same things they did last year. It is time to change things up, get some chemistry, if it means not playing Srs or Jrs, bench them... It may set a fire under them and make them more competitive.

Your offense should be focused around the strength of the team, not trying to make the players fit an offense
If you were coaching, who would you run? who is the table setter, and who serves as cutters and step down shooters? This forum already knows my up and down feelings about Olmstead as the QB. He can spot up shoot real nice (see his step down goals against Utah, Syracuse in 2019, Lehigh 2019 to name a few)

I always thought that having players fit a good system, and then recruiting guys in HS to fit that system would generally yield positive results. Maybe its why Loyola has always been able to achieve success even when they don't get the star studded recruits year in year out.
I agree there is no leadership out there on offense... but you keep putting the same players out there and getting the same result. Baleman, Cox, Poitras,Olmstead, Swindell all have below a .2 shoot percentage and poitras has .071... how do these guys see the field. Why hasnt other players have an opportunity? Van arsdale recruited them, they must have some talent. They couldnt do any worse. It is just frustrating to see the same product every game.
Laxfan#1969

Post by Laxfan#1969 »

laxbro11 wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:30 am
houndace1 wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:42 am

I agree there is no leadership out there on offense... but you keep putting the same players out there and getting the same result. Baleman, Cox, Poitras,Olmstead, Swindell all have below a .2 shoot percentage and poitras has .071... how do these guys see the field. Why hasnt other players have an opportunity? Van arsdale recruited them, they must have some talent. They couldnt do any worse. It is just frustrating to see the same product every game.
Good teams have great leadership and consistent production from seniors and juniors...our offense was awful vs Lehigh...no offensive player is exempt from criticism after that game...terrible

And when you start looking at reality, Utah is a below average team at best...not as bad as Lafayette, but I don't get to caught up in our offensive stats vs Utah...outside of Lafayette, they're the worst team we will play this year, and last year for that matter...

Since we have essentially the same team, what guys in our offense made big plays in big games vs GOOD teams last year/this year...those are the guys we need to step up in the lineup...I'll look to the Bucknell and Towson games to evaluate progress...

With that said, we need to get healthy and have our full compliment of players, and win faceoffs...

Playing Lafayette will make everyone look better...I'm more interested in what we will look like vs Navy, Army, and Georgetown
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Cam Spencer coming up big in the PL semis:

https://fb.watch/4aG1Xq3dyP/

Hounds one game away from the Big Dance!
Laxfan#1969

Post by Laxfan#1969 »

Does anyone know when Kamish is coming back? If you don't think this team misses him, youre crazy...he was trending into being our best ball carrier already last year as a freshman and his athleticism is arguably tops of anyone on our offense...we need him back ASAP...we will do fine without him vs Lafayette (same level of team as Utah), but I sure hope he's back next week vs Bucknell and he's healthy...we need him period...not even debatable

We robbed Peter to pay Paul by putting James at attack and I get it, we had to because we're thin due to attrition and injury... frankly if you want run Kamish out of the box, then great...he will be our best downhill dodger immediately when he returns...he was one of our top 3-4 offensive players coming into the season, and injury (if he makes a full recovery) won't change that...we need him back...we are a better team with him on the field

And it goes with out saying when you get slammed at the face off x, it's gonna be tough to win

Our defense hung in as best the could...played hard...but we need to win the ground ball battles and be the tougher team...

I may be crazy, but I think James is more effective down low than Kamish was. I would leave James on attack. To me, having Wigley back in the lineup would have a bigger impact than Kamish. We need middies who can dodge and draw a slide. Wigley can do that. We've seen a middie here and there step up and have a good game. It was Swindell against Lehigh, and Seay against Richmond, but they're not playing as a unit by any means. I don't know why Cox is still out there.
Then leave James low...he's was very good vs Utah and UVA...not good at all vs Lehigh, but I like James as a young talent...I'm sure the coaches will make the best decision if/when Kamish is back... IMO, we are a better team with a healthy Kamish and to me it's not a "one or the other". Kamish has played/started 7 games in a very short young career here...we are 5-2 when he's in the lineup. Were 1-2 without him.

Over the short career here, the ONLY weakness Kamish has shown is shooting efficiency, and that is most in part due to a bad first two games shooting last year...he is an excellent, strong ball carrier, maybe our best...he's a bigger, faster kid with lots of wiggle in his game for a big kid, and he doesn't turn it over...which is a current problem for us....and he is one of our top dodgers and has consistently shown his ability to beat his primary defender forcing slides...all the preseason articles and coaches comments talked about Kamish as a very key player for us...we miss him...I don't care where we play him...we could use him...I hope he's back soon

With that said, we gotta get consistency with the guys we have now...the midfield has not been good as a unit...it needs to be better. I'm sure we will be fine vs Lafayette and guys will blow up statistically...but as I stated in my other post, I'm more concerned about what we will do when we play the good teams like Navy (2) and Army, and Georgetown...even Towson and Bucknell...

I think we can get better...I'm gonna stay bullish on this team...lots of season left...just need guys to be consistent and do there job...need more from Poitras, need more from Swindell...we just need better play from a lot of guys...

Go Hounds
NovaHound

Post by NovaHound »

Good points. Agree we need Kamish. We are better with him on the field. Poitras and Kamish have both been rehabbing injuries suffered in the Fall and Spring, respectively. Kamish may be ready to play this weekend. Poitras just needs to knock the rust off.

It's really nice seeing Big John Railey out there. He's not as mobile as some of the other defenders but takes up a lot space and creates disruption on the Man Down Unit.
GreyingHound

Post by GreyingHound »

Maybe the coaching staff has been reading this board. Wigley is out there for Cox.
GreyingHound

Post by GreyingHound »

Laxfan#1969 wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:16 am

Then leave James low...he's was very good vs Utah and UVA...not good at all vs Lehigh, but I like James as a young talent...I'm sure the coaches will make the best decision if/when Kamish is back... IMO, we are a better team with a healthy Kamish and to me it's not a "one or the other". Kamish has played/started 7 games in a very short young career here...we are 5-2 when he's in the lineup. Were 1-2 without him.

Over the short career here, the ONLY weakness Kamish has shown is shooting efficiency, and that is most in part due to a bad first two games shooting last year...he is an excellent, strong ball carrier, maybe our best...he's a bigger, faster kid with lots of wiggle in his game for a big kid, and he doesn't turn it over...which is a current problem for us....and he is one of our top dodgers and has consistently shown his ability to beat his primary defender forcing slides...all the preseason articles and coaches comments talked about Kamish as a very key player for us...we miss him...I don't care where we play him...we could use him...I hope he's back soon

With that said, we gotta get consistency with the guys we have now...the midfield has not been good as a unit...it needs to be better. I'm sure we will be fine vs Lafayette and guys will blow up statistically...but as I stated in my other post, I'm more concerned about what we will do when we play the good teams like Navy (2) and Army, and Georgetown...even Towson and Bucknell...

I think we can get better...I'm gonna stay bullish on this team...lots of season left...just need guys to be consistent and do there job...need more from Poitras, need more from Swindell...we just need better play from a lot of guys...

Go Hounds
I agree with every word. We need both James and Kamish on the field.

I'm glad to see Wigley is healthy finally. He looks rusty though.

Slow start for Savio and the Hounds overall. We can't afford to do that against good teams.

Olmstead is on fire.

Perhaps the most alarming development is seeing Wyers on the sideline.
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

A win is a win... But not a great outing against a below average team. 16/57 on shots. Olmstead looked good with the assists. Lets see if he can keep it up. Bateman 1/5 Lindley 3/9 swindell 3/9 Olmstead 2/8, but 5 assists, James 4/9, Poitras 1/4, Higgens 0/4, Wigley 0/2 Seay 0/3. This is not the shooting of a tournament caliber team.

Again we win against the poor teams and struggle against the average to above average teams.
NovaHound

Post by NovaHound »

Wyers is fine. No injury. Just getting Railey into the mix. And the defense looked pretty good when he was out there. At 6'6" you take up a lot of space. I noticed he helped create 2 shot clock violations - good turnovers. Also good to see other players getting in the mix.

Cox has a hamstring injury - that is why he was not suited up.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

laxbro11 wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:01 pm A win is a win... But not a great outing against a below average team. 16/57 on shots. Olmstead looked good with the assists. Lets see if he can keep it up. Bateman 1/5 Lindley 3/9 swindell 3/9 Olmstead 2/8, but 5 assists, James 4/9, Poitras 1/4, Higgens 0/4, Wigley 0/2 Seay 0/3. This is not the shooting of a tournament caliber team.

Again we win against the poor teams and struggle against the average to above average teams.
Something that I noticed in the game. Seems like Olmstead has more success on shooting when dodging from the wing and then success in passing when dodging from behind the goal.

Also, where in the hell was his right hand for these past two years? It looks as if the shot is as strong, if not stronger than his dominant left hand.

If thats a wrinkle to his game that can be used even more, than maybe he can have more scoring opportunities.

The shooting on saturday was pretty alarming as many of these shots were stoned completely by Lafayettes goalie.

For you players or coaches in our forum, do you advise to shoot for net, or shoot for pinpoint corners?
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

houndace1 wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:45 pm
laxbro11 wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:01 pm A win is a win... But not a great outing against a below average team. 16/57 on shots. Olmstead looked good with the assists. Lets see if he can keep it up. Bateman 1/5 Lindley 3/9 swindell 3/9 Olmstead 2/8, but 5 assists, James 4/9, Poitras 1/4, Higgens 0/4, Wigley 0/2 Seay 0/3. This is not the shooting of a tournament caliber team.

Something that I noticed in the game. Seems like Olmstead has more success on shooting when dodging from the wing and then success in passing when dodging from behind the goal.

Also, where in the hell was his right hand for these past two years? It looks as if the shot is as strong, if not stronger than his dominant left hand.

If thats a wrinkle to his game that can be used even more, than maybe he can have more scoring opportunities.

The shooting on saturday was pretty alarming as many of these shots were stoned completely by Lafayettes goalie.

For you players or coaches in our forum, do you advise to shoot for net, or shoot for pinpoint corners?
net. unfortunately, eyes are drawn to pipes. and then any miscalibration misses the cage 50% of the time. it needs to be unlearned with practice.

deception and mixing it up are next. goalies can make great saves on tells.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

wgdsr wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:58 pm

net. unfortunately, eyes are drawn to pipes. and then any miscalibration misses the cage 50% of the time. it needs to be unlearned with practice.

And then going off of that - is it always better to change planes like a high overhand into low shot? Many times, we see college shooters who choose to either change planes or try to burn shots past the goalie with no level changes.
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

houndace1 wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:00 pm

And then going off of that - is it always better to change planes like a high overhand into low shot? Many times, we see college shooters who choose to either change planes or try to burn shots past the goalie with no level changes.
the one with the worst latitude (pun intended) is low to low. a goalie has to commit and drop. if you keep it down where he gets the tell to go, you've lowered your chances.
low to high sacrifices accuracy, especially from the wing. so you better be dialed in. if the goalie knows that's also your jib 80% of the time, advantage goalie.

if you can maintain a huge percentage of your shots overhand or 3/4, mixing it up benefits a lot of ways. accuracy. twice the goal to shoot at (bouncers). deception as it's coming from behind your body. stroke is the same high or low. so you get the advantage of deception and a beat for goalie reaction (make up for slightly less velocity), more latitude, accuracy.
going high to low is also best inside about 7-9 yards. he has to respect staying up high if you keep your hands there. then doesn't have time to drop.
outside that, with the goalie dropping, bounce at about crease line to bounce over his shoulder. a low shot to his feet from 12 is a save.
NovaHound

Post by NovaHound »

Any chance fans will be allowed at Ridley this weekend? Hopkins had fans (probably parents) last Saturday.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

wgdsr wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:11 pm
houndace1 wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:00 pm

the one with the worst latitude (pun intended) is low to low. a goalie has to commit and drop. if you keep it down where he gets the tell to go, you've lowered your chances.
low to high sacrifices accuracy, especially from the wing. so you better be dialed in. if the goalie knows that's also your jib 80% of the time, advantage goalie.

if you can maintain a huge percentage of your shots overhand or 3/4, mixing it up benefits a lot of ways. accuracy. twice the goal to shoot at (bouncers). deception as it's coming from behind your body. stroke is the same high or low. so you get the advantage of deception and a beat for goalie reaction (make up for slightly less velocity), more latitude, accuracy.
going high to low is also best inside about 7-9 yards. he has to respect staying up high if you keep your hands there. then doesn't have time to drop.
outside that, with the goalie dropping, bounce at about crease line to bounce over his shoulder. a low shot to his feet from 12 is a save.
Excellent counsel, wgdsr.
Nuanced and thorough, from the perspective of the tender.

Agreed with 100% and particularly think that the deception and difficulty of reading the release is a huge aspect.
If the goalie can't tell from the set up of the stroke where the ball is most likely going and if the stick head is hidden for much of the shooting motion, then picking up the ball directionally at the release point is far harder. It can 'freeze' the tender, make him tense up just enough, and that tiny smidgen of timing difference is what gets the ball in the back of the net against the otherwise best tenders. Stick technology enables this much more than in yesteryear.

A great recent example of a really difficult to see shooting stroke was Ryan Brown of Hopkins. Overhand or 3/4, his stick head was hidden by his body and head to the last moment, release point was terribly hard to read. Great variety of where he put the ball. Lyle Thompson's shot (really from anywhere) had his stick hidden by his body, and he also used the defender's body very craftily to screen the tender's vision. Made it extremely difficult to see the ball out of the stick.

One of the best shooters I faced (many years ago pre the offset stick heads) explained how he stung corners so frequently, yet rarely missed the net. He divided the goal into quadrants and shot for the center of the one that showed net, he had a shooting stroke that varied from under to 3/4, but mostly 3/4...he explained that the ball tended to move out from the center on his shot so by shooting for the center mentally, he kept the ball on cage. Nothing better for a tender than a shooter winding up and missing the net...allows the goalie to see the stroke, track the ball and be ready to recognize for the next time. But my buddy hit the net immensely frequently and moved the ball around so that the tender couldn't predict where it was going next. No wasted shots.
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

NovaHound wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:42 am Any chance fans will be allowed at Ridley this weekend? Hopkins had fans (probably parents) last Saturday.
No Fans... Outbreak of covid in the dorms.

On a positive note heard that McNulty will be back next year, can anyone confirm
GreyingHound

Post by GreyingHound »

laxbro11 wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:39 am
NovaHound wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:42 am Any chance fans will be allowed at Ridley this weekend? Hopkins had fans (probably parents) last Saturday.

On a positive note heard that McNulty will be back next year, can anyone confirm
Bummer about the outbreak. I hope that doesn't affect any of the players.

I've heard the same about McNulty. He definitely has anothe year of eligibility because of his medical redshirt as a freshman.

Thoughts about Bucknell? They've had a rough start, with their first 3 games canceled. They've played us tough the last few times. I'm always shocked that they try the 10-man ride against an athletic team like Loyola, but it's their identity and they tend to stick with it. We handled UVA's ride well. I'd love to see some long-pole goals on an empty net!
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

GreyingHound wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:33 pm
laxbro11 wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:39 am

Bummer about the outbreak. I hope that doesn't affect any of the players.

I've heard the same about McNulty. He definitely has anothe year of eligibility because of his medical redshirt as a freshman.

Thoughts about Bucknell? They've had a rough start, with their first 3 games canceled. They've played us tough the last few times. I'm always shocked that they try the 10-man ride against an athletic team like Loyola, but it's their identity and they tend to stick with it. We handled UVA's ride well. I'd love to see some long-pole goals on an empty net!
Bucknell worries me. Slow starts, anemic offense, struggle at the faceoff X. These are all legitimate concerns. I hope that Vanarsdale has made some changes, if he keeps doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is a sign of insanity. There may be a good reason Lars did not keep him on at Virginia. Game may have passed him by.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”