Yale 2019

D1 Mens Lacrosse
The Orfling

Re: Yale 2019

Post by The Orfling »

bjred wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:41 pm https://www.syracuse.com/orangelacrosse ... -yale.html

Not much but it includes a box score for the scrimmage. Sounds like Yale treated the scrimmage like a regular season game. Orange defense didn't seem to have an answer for the speed and physicality of the Bulldog offense. Only bright spot for us Orange fans is that it sounds like Varello won most of his draws against Ierlan.
Another vote of thanks for the link — nice to see at least a partial box score. It sounds like the attack in particular got off to a flying start. Looks like another good outing from Starr? He is listed first (in a no -alphabetical listing) so assume he started, and is down as having 10 saves. Also good to see Neumann get a meaningful amount of reps at the X (8 for 16).

Dmac, sorry the scrimmages are not open — would have liked to have the benefit of your knowledgeable eye.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

calourie wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:22 pm Thanks for the report and the link bjred. A bit more talk over on the Syracuse thread. Gaudet 4-2, Rooney 5-0, Morrill 0-5 were the big offensive numbers. 21 goals with 13 assists sounds like a nice ratio. 17-6 lead after three sounds impressive. Talk has Cuse FOGO Varello doing well against TD though Ierlan ended up 14 out of 23 all tolled against whomever. Sounds like the Bulldogs came out of the gate fired up which is a good sign, in that they only have two weeks of practice to get ready for Nova. Having the Bulldogs scrimmaging Syracuse right off the bat looks like a good set up to me.
16 pts by starting attack is impressive. Cuse cd got some work to do.
Mid-Lax

Post by Mid-Lax »

When I see the the tenor and makeup of this team and the notes coming out of a scrimmage versus mighty Syracuse, I have to to think we are in an alternate universe OR it's just an accumulation of all the work done by the coaches, the players, the staff, the classes of the Shea era, last year's National Championship, the numerous Ivy League Tournament wins, the continued rising level of the recruits, picking up a great transfer, having support from Yale President Salovey, the endowment of the team, etc. Just fantastic!
Lux et veritas
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

The weather prediction I'm seeing says high of 30 for next Saturday's scrimmage.
seriously?

Post by seriously? »

nyclaxfan

Post by nyclaxfan »

Is the scrimmage this Saturday at 2 pm at Yale open to the public? Thank you.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Yes, open to the public.
seriously?

Post by seriously? »

Free to get into the game. $10 to park in the mud. Be prepared to be blinded by the jumbotron
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Thanks for posting these -- I enjoyed going through them.
seriously?

Post by seriously? »

Here's a hype video:

And Inside Lacrosse

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... ling/53693
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

seriously? wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:13 pm
And Inside Lacrosse

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... ling/53693
If you're interested in seeing 'under the helmet' and hearing from some key Yale 2019 players, I recommend taking a look at the Inside Lacrosse link seriously? posted of the first of what appears to be a three part video series on Yale. Some nice interview footage with players like Morrill, Daniggelis, Fake, and Starr, among others. Most of the game footage is from the USA Lacrosse - Yale fall-ball scrimmage, with a few cuts from the National Championship game. You can really get a sense of the culture of the program and how they are dealing with starting over after reaching the mountaintop last year.
JAFO

Post by JAFO »

Made it out to the New and Improved Reese today. The new video board is HUGE. It seem like it would be a distraction to the goalie at the far end but it looks great. They now play part of the Yale fight song after every goal. I loved it. Almost as obnoxious as the Hopkins 1,2,3,4, we want more chant. (Man did they need some more against Towson today... Go Tigers.) The old turf had permanent soccer lines - the new has permanent lax lines. You can finally see the lines. It looks amazing. Rumors going around about some more upgrades - but I don't steal people's thunder.

The scrimmage was a Yale track meet. Yale controlled the faceoffs - TD, Neuman and crew were outstanding. Attack looked great with Morrill, Gaudet as the main stays, Brandau and Rooney in there too.
Yale really has too many Mids, too many really good mids. Tigh, Sessa, Danigellis, Tevlin, Cotler. The freshman Ocken and Kuttin looked good Thomas Bragg looks like a thin Ben Reeves. I saw Reeves today at Reese. Was like being a kid and seeing your teacher in the real world, WEIRD. Of course he will be missed but this crew will go a long way to make you say Ben Who? lol
The D and Goal did not get challenged much - The one thing that I was excited about was seeing Aiden Hynes get on his horse during a clear. I don't know if he is 100% but he certainly looks a lot healthier than he did in May.

Can't wait till next week. Lets just hope that the Dogs don't fall prey to one of these crazy upsets we have been seeing. The big challenge is going to be PSU they are scoring in bunches right now.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Between the cold and the stiff breeze.... well, JAFO, you are heartier than I. Sounds like Hynes started in D along with Fake. Who was the other starting Dman? Yes, PSU looks like being a massive challenge, especially given the Nittany Lions' earlier start.
nyclaxfan

Post by nyclaxfan »

Yes...Yale looked good. I counted 8-0 in the first quarter and then 11-4 in the second (?), then had to leave.

I was interested to see #31 Fake against one of the best attack in DII from Merrimack, #6. Fake did not let #6 do anything the few times Merrimack had the ball.

I noticed freshman #41 start at attack and he looked comfortable. Rooney came in in the second.

I think #10 started at D with 31 and 47, but not sure. #26 got a lot of time at face off wing alternating with #28.

TD dominated at face and 24 started taking reps in the second quarter.

The Yale head coach looked more like a manager compared with what I remember from last year...is this just due to a scrimmage or consistent with last year?

The shot clock did not rush Yale at all, but gave the other team at least two possessions of trouble in the first two quarters.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

nyclaxfan wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:16 am Yes...Yale looked good. I counted 8-0 in the first quarter and then 11-4 in the second (?), then had to leave.

I was interested to see #31 Fake against one of the best attack in DII from Merrimack, #6. Fake did not let #6 do anything the few times Merrimack had the ball.

I noticed freshman #41 start at attack and he looked comfortable. Rooney came in in the second.

I think #10 started at D with 31 and 47, but not sure. #26 got a lot of time at face off wing alternating with #28.

TD dominated at face and 24 started taking reps in the second quarter.

The Yale head coach looked more like a manager compared with what I remember from last year...is this just due to a scrimmage or consistent with last year?

The shot clock did not rush Yale at all, but gave the other team at least two possessions of trouble in the first two quarters.
Thanks for the reports, nyclaxfan and JAFA. Really pleased to hear that Aidan Hynes looked healthy -- he had such a good year in 2017 and it would be great for him to return full-time at D. Sounds like Will Weitzel joined Hynes and Fake (as was the case in much of fall-ball) with Mooney and Pula at LSM. Brandau (#41) with the start on attack wouldn't surprise -- he is a legit blue chipper and looked at home during fallball -- he may be the highest impact first-year for Yale.

On Shay's role, he might have been a little bit more detached because of it being a scrimmage, but he has publicly spoken about how he made a great leap as a head coach when he stopped trying to run the defense directly and focused on managing the entire game (as well as all elements of establishing culture for the program) while empowering his excellent assistant coaches. He has a ton of confidence in Stimmel as the OC and Baxter as the DC (and I was a bit surprised, although pleased, that both returned -- I think either one could be a head coach soon).
Mid-Lax

Post by Mid-Lax »

Yes, thanks fellas. Great reports on the scrimmage.
Lux et veritas
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Ultimate Bulldog* hype video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHhRor1FHYI

(*A real, not metaphorical, canine competitor is featured)
Mid-Lax

Post by Mid-Lax »

Wow, didn't know a Bulldog could run that fast! That includes current and past D-Mids. Definitely a future Shay recruit (fast, tough, strong, takes direction, shows own initiative, brings good leadership skills).
Lux et veritas
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

The Yale Daily News' season preview: https://yaledailynews.com/blog/2019/02/ ... e-defense/

No real surprises, but some quotes from Dangles, Ierlan and Fake. “I believe Yale University has the best balance of both academics and athletics, and it was an opportunity I couldn’t pass up on,” Ierlan said when asked about his decision to transfer. “The whole team has made the transition as easy as possible. I just want to help the team in any way I can.”

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”