Syracuse 2019

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Hawkeye

Re: Syracuse 2019

Post by Hawkeye »

Syracuse off to a bad start tonight. Down 0-3 late 1st. If Syracuse drops this one tonight, it might really be a struggle to find the 7 requisite wins to be tournament eligible.
Georgia Tech alumnus
2019 Georgia Tech lacrosse final record: 18-2; MCLA semifinalist
-
College lacrosse television schedules: https://markmhart9.wixsite.com/mysite
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

6-3 gate at half. Cuse D not doing a very good job on matchups.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

Man up offense absolutely on fire for Syracuse. Three of their five goals have come that way.

Colgate 7-5 SU 3rd

We got a pretty game going now!
Georgia Tech alumnus
-
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

10-8 Gate less than 8 remaining. Solomon with the nice leaner to close the gap.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Down goes cuse 12-9 1:o2

Great seeing Nicky Petkevich getting some...proof they needed new coaching. Google that last name, Dad was gold medal figure skater in olympics.
~Livy
molo

Post by molo »

Gate took an early lead and never trailed. Second big early loss for the ACC.
DMac

Post by DMac »

That might be the saddest looking Cuse team I've ever seen. Minus the GK, it's pretty hard to not see a team that looks mighty ordinary, has no spark. Looked like a bunch of guys on the first day of lacrosse camp playing together for the first time. Gate did to Cuse what HPU did to Duke. Outplayed 'em, out hustled 'em, beat 'em for 60 minutes.
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

I think there's a very real chance that the ACC ends up being a two bid league this season. As crazy as that seems.
Georgia Tech alumnus
-
johnnyonthegunpowder

Post by johnnyonthegunpowder »

Davids taking down Goliaths this week....First High Point and now Colgate. Maybe the Colgate hockey team should be looking at some of these laxers because these boys made some absolutely brilliant and creative ground ball plays. Really incredible stuff gb wise. Cuse was noticeably bigger, but the Gate offense took it to 'em. How bout that philosophy major, Sam Cleveland? What awareness and patience that kid has. He knew how to analyze the situation and dissect it. And Healey and Donohue in the middle of the field were tremendous. The Colgate long sticks in general were phenomenal in how they bothered. Mullen was solid in the goal.

But, above all, what sticks out to me is not any kind of fantastic play by Colgate, but just how even this match up seemed. It was very, very equal match up. Bottom line, Cuse D hasn't developed in years. They're lucky to have Mellen back, and on paper this d looks money with big names like Bomberry, but it reality, this defense has been a no show for a while now. Gotta figure out a way to turn big names into big players.
DMac

Post by DMac »

I wouldn't restrict that to the defense, Cuse's offense is pretty non threatening too, they don't have players who can beat their man. Colgate D owned 'em across the board, and the Cuse O didn't even make 'em have to work too hard to do that. Cuse O looked lethargic, confused, and overwhelmed.
February lacrosse and all that, but if the March Cuse even resembles the February Cuse this team is in real big trouble.
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

DMac wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:05 am if the March Cuse even resembles the February Cuse this team is in real big trouble.
Complete agreement. The schedule does not get any easier. Hobart is the only game that looks like close to a sure win.
Georgia Tech alumnus
-
Oldbarndog

Post by Oldbarndog »

Impressive skill sets, excellent finishing inside. Very talented, well balanced Colgate offense. Will make the Patriot race a tight one.

Scuse, too slow to go. Shot placement, whoa. High to high, didn't fly.
"Dear Naps. Sorry I was such a jerk to you when I was a kid"
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

DMac wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:05 am I wouldn't restrict that to the defense, Cuse's offense is pretty non threatening too, they don't have players who can beat their man. Colgate D owned 'em across the board, and the Cuse O didn't even make 'em have to work too hard to do that. Cuse O looked lethargic, confused, and overwhelmed.
February lacrosse and all that, but if the March Cuse even resembles the February Cuse this team is in real big trouble.
So you went to the Dome in spite of the draconian policies and such, DMac? February lacrosse, well, at least Cuse has its Dome. Over on the Hopkins board, there was some railing against February lacrosse, agreement that the season should start in March. Anyway, teams do improve a lot during the course of the season, especially during dreaded February, and here's hoping that the Orange get a whole lot better sooner rather than later.
seriously?

Post by seriously? »

Maybe parents and players are avoiding that "red shirt freshman" year at $70,000 a pop.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Yes I did, FOL, couldn't resist it, got my clear plastic suspect bag and headed to the Dome to watch Gate annihilate the mighty (well, used to be) Cuse. Turns out I was a big hit with the security guard with my clear plastic bag too. "Oh, look at this, I love it" says Mr. Security guy, cuz I WAS THE ONLY PERSON HEADING IN WITH MY BELONGINGS IN A CLEAR PLASTIC BAG!!! All of the other 2,977 people (decent turn out, was very windy and cold...good thing it wasn't Denver, 900 folks would have been turned away, those Pioneers need a bigger stadium/facility) else just threw their little trinkets and gems in the little tub (like at the airport) while they walked through the scanner. For months and months all you've heard from the media is that the Dome has a new clear plastic bag policy so head to Wegman's to buy your $3 clear plastic bag before heading up for the game. Turns out this is BS, you don't need a clear plastic bag at all. I suspect the reason for the clear plastic bag, which you can pick up at Wegman's for $3 (I just used an every day freezer bag...did double check to make sure I didn't grab one that had any lingering marijuana scent, figured that was a good idea), is to speed things up (close to 35K will be at the Duke hoops game) a bit. Easier to get all of your belongings out of that tub with one grab of your clear plastic bag than fumbling around and picking them out one at a time. Makes sense when you've got big numbers going in there.
Good thing is, no one got shot or stabbed, no fights, no incidents. Kinda like it's always been over the decades I've been going there. Even before you were treated like a suspect before going in. All's well at the Dome...minus the lax team, of course.
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

Watching Desko body language/ face he does not look confident!
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

DMac wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:05 am I wouldn't restrict that to the defense, Cuse's offense is pretty non threatening too, they don't have players who can beat their man. Colgate D owned 'em across the board, and the Cuse O didn't even make 'em have to work too hard to do that. Cuse O looked lethargic, confused, and overwhelmed.
I watched game. Syracuse offense looked stale and the players had trouble beating their man. Colgate has some good offensive players. Very good in high school and were under the radar. It’s a long season and I suspect Syracuse will be fine. Didn’t get up a lot of shots. I thought people were happy about the shot clock because the larcrosse would be more wide open.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
DMac

Post by DMac »

I've thought all along that a 90 second clock, which turned into an 80 second clock, wouldn't change the game much at all but, of course, would eliminate the subjectivity of the stall call. From the games I've seen so far, that's been the case. The game is still played pretty much the same. I think in last night's game we would have seen what everyone was complaining with the subjectivity of the stall call as the clock was winding down and Gate had a couple of goal lead. I'm okay with the incorporation of the clock to the game, now just leave it alone and don't start with the it should be a sixty second clock stuff. No, it's fine just the way it is.
Beyond completely eliminating the maddening ability to stall for minutes on end in the girl's game, what I liked most about what the 90 second possession clock did for the girl's game was what it did to pace of the game (you guys need to start watching wlax, very pretty game played by outstanding athletes who run and pass a whole lot more than the men do). I see pretty much the same in what the clock has done to the men's game.
PicLax

Post by PicLax »

I made this same comment after the Duke/High Point game. While it is just the beginning of the season, these type of losses can be costly when it comes to tournament selection time. Syracuse and Duke might now have both put themselves behind the 8-ball where tournament selection is going to be dependent on finishing top two in the ACC regular season and/or making ACC championship. Perhaps not necessarily a bad thing - if you are outside of top two in any conference, should you really be invited to play in the championship tournament? But for conferences like the ACC that have had such dominant teams on the national scene, this might start being a reality. If it is just a question of these ACC teams starting slowly and rounding into form come March and beyond, can't afford to do that and take early season bad losses. If you are going to play games in February, you need to be in form to win those games.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Especially if you have a full field indoor facility which offers you ideal conditions to prepare your team for those early February games. Of course that indoor facility does nothing to build cohesiveness, camaraderie, spirit, enthusiasm, or desire. The players themselves have to do that, and so far there's no sign of any of that happening.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”