Re: NEC 2021

Post by 10stone5 »

I don’t believe they’ve really needed him,
but CJ Carpenter hasn’t played a minute for
Bryant yet.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Perhaps injured. Thought Colin Almeida would play as well.

NEC hasn’t played a ton of strong OOC so far. Still looking at this stage like three at top and rest (Bryant, St Joes, Hobart).
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Big game,
Mount - Bryant noon,

http://necfrontrow.com/game/7763
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

10stone5 wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:11 pm Big game,
Mount - Bryant noon,

http://necfrontrow.com/game/7763
Big game that has been postponed.
bam1972

Post by bam1972 »

Good win for LIU today over Hobart. Even though I do think the conference is down this year, still doesn’t take away that this was a good win for that program. They have a pretty young team and the seniors they do lose they have some younger kids on the team that are good that will fill in nicely next year.

Will be interesting how the rest of the year and tournament end up
catchnshoot

Post by catchnshoot »

Really good win for LIU
Despite going 8-30 at the face offs the Sharks fought hard every possession and just pushed Hobart around the entire game
bam1972

Post by bam1972 »

So even though I am an LIU fan, I am going to watch the hobart vs MSM game. Big game for both teams in my opinion. Really interested in how Hobart looks after last weeks loss to LIU.

With LIU, I love the change they made with putting the Boll kid(#50) at attack in the crease for the Gillis kid(#41). I think Gillis wasn't dressed last week, but that should be the play even if he is healthy. Boll is not a midfielder and is better than Gillis in the crease.

I also liked seeing Grassa play alot more this past Saturday. Very good Midfielder. They didn't play number 13 anymore which was a good idea. Snelder (#10) obviously had a big day. Want to see if he can keep that up, if he can it will really help. As he usually gets defended correctly and turns the ball over a ton vs the amount he scores, but if he can keep playing like he did Saturday and not like previous games then I like to see him more. But if his ratio of turnovers vs assists goes back to where it was, then not worth having him out there. The other mids they played are serviceable but not going to do much. I would like to see the Chase kid get in at attack some for the Behlen kid, as well as the hennesy kid who is a good left handed dodging midfielder that would force defenses to have to respect vs most of the other mids. Grassa you have to respect, and Snelder you have to respect his left hand. But only the left side. The other mids can't seem to beat their guys much. having another good left handed dodger would also help lacalandra free up more. Which would be great.

Mark, the goalie is playing great, but if they need him to keep having 20 plus save games, then it will eventually catch up to them. Their FO's have actually been a pleasant surprise so far this year. Last week was not great, but they have a 55% win rate for the year right now. Now that is basically against Wagner, and Sacred heart twice, but none the less, 55%.
Laxbuck

Post by Laxbuck »

bam1972 wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:58 pm So even though I am an LIU fan, I am going to watch the hobart vs MSM game. Big game for both teams in my opinion. Really interested in how Hobart looks after last weeks loss to LIU.

With LIU, I love the change they made with putting the Boll kid(#50) at attack in the crease for the Gillis kid(#41). I think Gillis wasn't dressed last week, but that should be the play even if he is healthy. Boll is not a midfielder and is better than Gillis in the crease.

I also liked seeing Grassa play alot more this past Saturday. Very good Midfielder. They didn't play number 13 anymore which was a good idea. Snelder (#10) obviously had a big day. Want to see if he can keep that up, if he can it will really help. As he usually gets defended correctly and turns the ball over a ton vs the amount he scores, but if he can keep playing like he did Saturday and not like previous games then I like to see him more. But if his ratio of turnovers vs assists goes back to where it was, then not worth having him out there. The other mids they played are serviceable but not going to do much. I would like to see the Chase kid get in at attack some for the Behlen kid, as well as the hennesy kid who is a good left handed dodging midfielder that would force defenses to have to respect vs most of the other mids. Grassa you have to respect, and Snelder you have to respect his left hand. But only the left side. The other mids can't seem to beat their guys much. having another good left handed dodger would also help lacalandra free up more. Which would be great.

Mark, the goalie is playing great, but if they need him to keep having 20 plus save games, then it will eventually catch up to them. Their FO's have actually been a pleasant surprise so far this year. Last week was not great, but they have a 55% win rate for the year right now. Now that is basically against Wagner, and Sacred heart twice, but none the less, 55%.
Mike Rastivo getting it done as LIU offensive coordinator
bam1972

Post by bam1972 »

Yes he is. I can definitely see a difference this year and was happy to see the improvement from the first game to the second game and so forth.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

LIU is looking pretty good at this point, #2 or #3
in the NEC, not the same team that played
Sacred Heart in that 1st game.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Still early, though strangely 3 games equates to 37.5% of Hobart’s regular season, but I’m feeling like we are looking at five schools for four spots in the conf tourney with Wagner, MSM and SHU looking like they’re on the ledge. Bryant looks like the best, been surprised SJUs offense hasn’t done a little more but they still look solid and just beat Mack. Bryant has a right win over Prov and a Vermont win which could be a resume enhancing piece of they get the AQ to possibly avoid the play in if it’s NEC/SoCon/MAAC for that game. Folks might assume Richmond but they or HPU may not have a superior group of wins if some impressive competitive losses to top teams. LIU has been a nice surprise and has a great goalie and a feature offensive player along with a strong deep enough team here. Mack has the Rooney Bros and Black but don’t think they’ll be deep enough by seasons end. Hobart has played horribly Comapared with the last couple of years but still may have managed to knock MSM out early. Some injuries have left the team a little thin at the moment and playing FR a bit more than they might’ve otherwise in some cases. They should be able to get to the playoffs I still think and those young kids will improve over the season.

Ultimately it looks like the team that can have the best established and consistent offensive threats #4-6 along with adequate or better Fo/goalie play will probably take the crown. Everyone has questions.
Ketch

Post by Ketch »

In the NEC right now it‘s Bryant and then everyone else.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

Ketch wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:51 am In the NEC right now it‘s Bryant and then everyone else.
Any idea what's going on with Carpenter and O'Rourke? Probably the potential to be two of the very best offensive players in the conference, yet about halfway through the season it looks as though neither have played. Team is still rolling but they could be real formidable if those guys come back and are at full strength.
Laxbuck

Post by Laxbuck »

Laxxal22 wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:35 pm
Ketch wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:51 am In the NEC right now it‘s Bryant and then everyone else.
Any idea what's going on with Carpenter and O'Rourke? Probably the potential to be two of the very best offensive players in the conference, yet about halfway through the season it looks as though neither have played. Team is still rolling but they could be real formidable if those guys come back and are at full strength.
Think Carpenter is out for the year
O’Rourke absence may/may not be for the entire season
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

That's why they play the games...we'll see.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

Laxbuck wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:08 pm
bam1972 wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:58 pm So even though I am an LIU fan, I am going to watch the hobart vs MSM game. Big game for both teams in my opinion. Really interested in how Hobart looks after last weeks loss to LIU.

Mike Rastivo getting it done as LIU offensive coordinator

Not sure about the LIU OC''s brilliance? Hobart is missing some key players due to injury(I know, an excuse, but it is what it is) and the LIU keeper stood on his head against Hobart. Still a lot of lacrosse to be played. As coach Urick told us often, "...they don't publish halftime scores"!
bam1972

Post by bam1972 »

LOL. Well, I don't think anyone said he was Brilliant. But the LIIU offense looks better than last year and from week 1.

With that said, I would also say I am not at all ready to crown them anything yet either. First, the NEC is not good this year from the top down. I know some of you will not like that comment. LIU has beaten Wagner once, SHU twice, and Hobart once. Sorry, but Wagner and SHU are very bad teams. Hobart does not look as good as I think alot of us, me included, thought they would be this year, and I don't think Bryant is great either, but they are probably the best team in the NEC as of right now. I am also surprised that St. Joe is not playing better. I did not know that Hobart had alot of players missing against LIU. Which might explain why Hobart made number 10 from LIU look like an All American when he usually turns the ball over alot and has a very low shooting %.

As you mentioned, LIU has a very good goalie! Their defense has played better than expected, and they have a very good attackman in Richie Lacalandra. Their midfield is so so at best. They really need more mids that can be a threat dodging, and so far from the players I have seen out there, they do not have much of that. I do like number 2, and 5 will take good care of the ball but doesn't generate much on his own. Numbers 31 and 21 really need to be replaced by others on the second line, and from all the numbers, number 10 turns the ball over a ton, has 1 move that a decent D1 defender can stop, and has a low shooting %. If they found some more mids that could initiate, create some slides as a threat to shoot off their dodge on the run, and got the defense moving around and sliding, that would really open up the attack more for LIU and then they would take the next step. Until that happens, they will be a team that has definitely improved, but probably only looks good against bad teams, but will stay in games because of their goalie and number 4 on the offensive end.

Although I am not saying that LIU will win the NEC, I definitely think they have a chance, and I don't know if anybody was thinking that coming into the year. But to take the next step, 1 or 2 changes probably have to happen. And whether the conference is good or not, I like close games to watch, and I think we will get that. So that I will hopefully enjoy.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

bam1972 wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:56 pm LOL. Well, I don't think anyone said he was Brilliant. But the LIIU offense looks better than last year and from week 1.

With that said, I would also say I am not at all ready to crown them anything yet either. First, the NEC is not good this year from the top down. I know some of you will not like that comment. LIU has beaten Wagner once, SHU twice, and Hobart once. Sorry, but Wagner and SHU are very bad teams. Hobart does not look as good as I think alot of us, me included, thought they would be this year, and I don't think Bryant is great either, but they are probably the best team in the NEC as of right now. I am also surprised that St. Joe is not playing better. I did not know that Hobart had alot of players missing against LIU. Which might explain why Hobart made number 10 from LIU look like an All American when he usually turns the ball over alot and has a very low shooting %.

As you mentioned, LIU has a very good goalie! Their defense has played better than expected, and they have a very good attackman in Richie Lacalandra. Their midfield is so so at best. They really need more mids that can be a threat dodging, and so far from the players I have seen out there, they do not have much of that. I do like number 2, and 5 will take good care of the ball but doesn't generate much on his own. Numbers 31 and 21 really need to be replaced by others on the second line, and from all the numbers, number 10 turns the ball over a ton, has 1 move that a decent D1 defender can stop, and has a low shooting %. If they found some more mids that could initiate, create some slides as a threat to shoot off their dodge on the run, and got the defense moving around and sliding, that would really open up the attack more for LIU and then they would take the next step. Until that happens, they will be a team that has definitely improved, but probably only looks good against bad teams, but will stay in games because of their goalie and number 4 on the offensive end.

Although I am not saying that LIU will win the NEC, I definitely think they have a chance, and I don't know if anybody was thinking that coming into the year. But to take the next step, 1 or 2 changes probably have to happen. And whether the conference is good or not, I like close games to watch, and I think we will get that. So that I will hopefully enjoy.
I think the leagues weakness comes from the lower end. Wagner is still struggling, thought Poksay has a shot at getting some meaningful success there but left. I’m hopeful that LIU and Mack can effectively replace MSM and SHU who have just not got it done since 2019 carrying a combined 6-23 since then (3-5/1-6 MSM, 1-6/1-7 SHU) and both, as Raymond noted in the last podcast, have “trophy’s and plenty of experience in major games”, new to D1 but neither just fell off the turnip truck. LIU has been impressive so far, don’t think they have the depth come year end even if healthy, especially if one of a few kids go down. Hobart has been underwhelming w injuries forcing more FR Pt than planned and thinning out the established depth a little so pokes can really focus on 2-3 kids. SJUs offense hasn’t been as good as I expected but they while the road loss to Towson (8-7 first game) isn’t great, losing at Del and Army isn’t bad. Probably end up around 8-5 in reg season. Bryant is the class of league so far but for the SBU loss would be looking good nationally. League has good coaching overall.

Little soft at the top and bottom is ugly but I don’t think this is the weakest year of late, 2017-2018 wasn’t much better overall. Let’s see how it progresses but for LIU they look solid already for a seat at the conference playoff table.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

bam1972 wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:56 pm LOL. Well, I don't think anyone said he was Brilliant. But the LIIU offense looks better than last year and from week 1.

Hobart’s missing players are important but we got beat and that’s all that matters. Weirdest part was our best scorer Knox being held out until late 2nd quarter and one senior who’s a critical ball carrier was out along with 5-6 from before season began but we got outhustled, beat up (our 6’8” Soph attackman was getting tricked by much smaller kids while your big boy who ive gotten into trouble for commenting on was leaning on a 155lb SSDM all day, etc.

These have hurt the season and progress but that game was owned, very unfortunately for me, by LIU.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”