Salisbury 2021

D3 Mens Lacrosse
ergit

Re: Salisbury 2021

Post by ergit »

I doubt any Salisbury players will read any of these comments. Seriously...
Nosey Ned

Post by Nosey Ned »

I had no dog in this race and tuned in simply to see the first significant D3 lax game in almost a year. Gosh I’m so glad we can finally post things that relate to play on the field and not the mess we all have be dealing with off it. Today is a day to celebrate the return of the game we love.

Congratulations to Lynchburg. They hung tough and played hard for 60 minutes and in the end deserved this win. But that is all they won .... as big as this win is for them, it is still only 1 game played - that was played in March. I’m very sure Coach Berkman and this team will have a lot to say about this season before all is said and done.

Salisbury could have and probably should have put this game out of reach in the 1Q. A look at the team stat line confirms what the eye test was telling you ... could have been 7-1 at end of one. But it wasn’t and again tip of the hat to Lynchburg for keeping their heads and taking advantage of the second life the Gulls gave them.

Salisbury will need to do better than shoot 21% and put less than 50% on cage and have only 4 assisted goals in a game against a quality opponent or this will wind up being a disappointing season. It’s early and history says they’ll get better .... probably unfortunately for the rest of us, much better.
COGULL

Post by COGULL »

Hey Ned - Always the voice of reason... May need to pay you hourly after this one lol
NJlaxfan88

Post by NJlaxfan88 »

Sounds like a bunch of sore losers to me. You lost. Move on.
MDlacrosse45

Post by MDlacrosse45 »

Salisbury is just a tad but overhyped eh? They played with 0 heart today....
Nosey Ned

Post by Nosey Ned »

COGULL wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:35 pm Hey Ned - Always the voice of reason... May need to pay you hourly after this one lol
Haha... hey CO. Should I post my office hours? But truth be told Dr Berkman will fix the maladies fast enough that the couch won’t be necessary long.

Here’s hoping my Big Red and their young team do enough to warrant another crack at your Gulls come May. Kinda getting used to that trip. Best of luck the rest of the way!
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Nosey Ned wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:21 pmSalisbury could have and probably should have put this game out of reach in the 1Q. A look at the team stat line confirms what the eye test was telling you ... could have been 7-1 at end of one. But it wasn’t and again tip of the hat to Lynchburg for keeping their heads and taking advantage of the second life the Gulls gave them...

That aside... I didn't expect this result. Matter of fact, saw the score and came here to make sure it was true. :)
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Pinchnpop

Post by Pinchnpop »

Looking forward to the next few weeks, 4 games in eight days. All the haters will go back to roost and start laying eggs again.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Including RPI on Wednesday. Though they should walk away with a W, that's a real game.
Caddy Day
Pinchnpop

Post by Pinchnpop »

Matnum PI wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:41 pm Including RPI on Wednesday. Though they should walk away with a W, that's a real game.
Must read the schedule, RPI is not playing lacrosse this spring. And RPI was a ranked team coming into the season. Next game Southern Virginia, C2C game, next Saturday. Supposed to be a little warmer but I invite you to come down and stir the pot after the game.
Slim

Post by Slim »

Not a hater at all. 12 titles speaks for itself and is remarkable. Just really surprised they were so flat in so many key parts of the game and laid an egg on the first time out after not playing for a year. Woulda thought they'd be more excited and ready to shine, particularly with all the 5th year guys back leading the way. I expect the Gulls to storm back and make a epic run, but its a shame they lost the opportunity for a storybook undefeated season right outta the chute. Maybe the pressure got to 'em. Now it's off...
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Pinchnpop wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:58 am Must read the schedule, RPI is not playing lacrosse this spring.
Yup. Not there. My understanding was that the Liberty League was playing. Hmm...
https://www.suseagulls.com/sports/mlax/2020-21/schedule
Caddy Day
richard

Post by richard »

Nosey Ned wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:21 pm I had no dog in this race and tuned in simply to see the first significant D3 lax game in almost a year. Gosh I’m so glad we can finally post things that relate to play on the field and not the mess we all have be dealing with off it. Today is a day to celebrate the return of the game we love.

Congratulations to Lynchburg. They hung tough and played hard for 60 minutes and in the end deserved this win. But that is all they won .... as big as this win is for them, it is still only 1 game played - that was played in March. I’m very sure Coach Berkman and this team will have a lot to say about this season before all is said and done.

Salisbury could have and probably should have put this game out of reach in the 1Q. A look at the team stat line confirms what the eye test was telling you ... could have been 7-1 at end of one. But it wasn’t and again tip of the hat to Lynchburg for keeping their heads and taking advantage of the second life the Gulls gave them.

Salisbury will need to do better than shoot 21% and put less than 50% on cage and have only 4 assisted goals in a game against a quality opponent or this will wind up being a disappointing season. It’s early and history says they’ll get better .... probably unfortunately for the rest of us, much better.
I don’t see anything close to 7-1 after 1. Salisbury offense needs work. For all the possession time there was not much to show for it. No off ball movement so they settled for too many inaccurate outside shots. The Lynchburg defense played pretty well too.
Nosey Ned

Post by Nosey Ned »

richard wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:11 pm
Nosey Ned wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:21 pm I had no dog in this race and tuned in simply to see the first significant D3 lax game in almost a year. Gosh I’m so glad we can finally post things that relate to play on the field and not the mess we all have be dealing with off it. Today is a day to celebrate the return of the game we love.

I don’t see anything close to 7-1 after 1. Salisbury offense needs work. For all the possession time there was not much to show for it. No off ball movement so they settled for too many inaccurate outside shots. The Lynchburg defense played pretty well too.
If you told me before the game the Q1 stats would be Shots: 15-3 Sals; GBs 11-4 Sals; FOs 5-0 Sals + 2 failed clears by Lyn (VS 0 Sals) and 2 more Lyn TOs than Sals (5 vs 3) ... I would never have put the score at only 3-1 Salisbury. And watching the game the stats didn’t seem that close - I was surprised the goalkeeper had only 4 saves because live, it seemed more like 8! Just my opinion as a neutral observer.

The score wasn’t greater because as I pointed out, Sals SH% 20 / SOG% 47 (too many inaccurate shots) and only 1 assisted goal (no ball movement). So you and I aren’t that much in disagreement- just what the Q1 score could have/should have been if Salisbury offense shot more Gull like. And as I said, in the end Lynchburg deserved the win ... they survived that 1Q and won the rest of the day!
richard

Post by richard »

This was a case where the stats flat out miss the story. In the highlight reel from the Drexel scrimmage I noticed Salisbury goals were from outside shooting and thought it might be an issue. A good goalie can eat those shots up if he sees the ball from release. The Lynchburg goalie had no problem along with the sog% being under 50. The point being the Salisbury offense needs work.
jusreLaxin

Post by jusreLaxin »

It definitely looked like a team that was overly reliant on its outside shooting. East-west dodging, not drawing slides. Lynchburg's defense was ready for that, and I think it's pretty easy to defend against.
LarumVictoia

Post by LarumVictoia »

richard wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:56 pm This was a case where the stats flat out miss the story. In the highlight reel from the Drexel scrimmage I noticed Salisbury goals were from outside shooting and thought it might be an issue. A good goalie can eat those shots up if he sees the ball from release. The Lynchburg goalie had no problem along with the sog% being under 50. The point being the Salisbury offense needs work.
Agreed, The thing is, is that Salisbury has a couple of the best finishers in the country in Melton and Moroney. Move the ball Midis!!! Melton's got to get more touches - period- Good things happen when that young man is handling the ball "finishing, feeding and just moving the ball". Sling it in there occasionally!! He'll finish it at a pretty high clip. Seemed like touched the ball like four times in the first half and had a couple feeds that accounted for half the team's assists. I think Armstrong needs to be on that 1st lines and be active in the offense as well for the same reasons - Really good vision and has been dodging a lot harder since last season-Really knows the offense. Ferrara usually has a good mixture of dodging and working the ball. I just don't think the ball was leaving midis' sticks so he felt like he had to. Ferrara is a ridiculous athlete and one of the better dodgers in the country. You can tell he's been working on his assist game. There are times now that he's looking for the feed where in prior two years it would have been "shoot" all the way. You need to get Moroney some chances to rip or bang around down on the crease where he can do some damage. Moroney has also substantially improved is assist game and is a threat to score whenever he's got room to shoot.

If you see a common thread it's the the Attack are your bread and butter - You've got one of the best units in the country - use them !! I think there fair to midland chance the Gulls get this straight up pretty quickly. They've got all the pieces - The ball has just got to cycle through the attack more often.

Just my two cents for what it's worth
richard

Post by richard »

The four top offensive players are attackers. You are right Melton should be the guy with the ball but he seems unwilling to be the man. Ferrara likes it but he is a 1v1 guy, Maroney is a finisher and Armstrong seems to be a guy who moves the ball along. It is an odd mix, all are talented but they have never seemed to jell as a unit. My thought is that Melton is the key.
overandback

Post by overandback »

Elephant in the room...the Gull defense.
Their O will figure things out. But imo their d is what it was on Saturday...nothing special.
Maggsedge

Post by Maggsedge »

Offense seemed to be only 1v1 and the all about themselves mentality. The D I don’t think you need to worry about, a lot of transition goals from lynchburg and not 6v6.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”