NESCAC

D3 Mens Lacrosse
georgeoar394

Re: NESCAC 2020

Post by georgeoar394 »

Laxwizard wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:47 am
ah23 wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:01 pm Is there any more context/detail on what the comments and issues actually were? Either way, what a bizarre story.
Whatever the comments the players were escalating, from the article it sounds like the investigation has concluded and they all need to move forward and get on with team building exercises, an presumably practice. Good luck to all involved!
I don't think most of the players are on board from what happened from last year to now this. It's not as simple as providing "team building sessions". Alumni, players, and parents are not naive, they know this was hire was merely a publicity stunt and are frustrated with the situation. Imo there's going to be toxicity among the players and coaching staff regardless of what happens.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Laxwizard wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:47 am
ah23 wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:01 pm Is there any more context/detail on what the comments and issues actually were? Either way, what a bizarre story.
Whatever the comments the players were escalating, from the article it sounds like the investigation has concluded and they all need to move forward and get on with team building exercises, an presumably practice. Good luck to all involved!
Good luck indeed. No one has heard from the coach in months. The president/dean/AD don't care if the team competes, or gets cancelled. It just cares about winning the culture war and virtue signaling.

Meanwhile 50+ kids have paid $76K a year to have their athletic/college careers derailed.

Don't send your kids to Amherst.
NESLAX

Post by NESLAX »

It now appears that Trinity has removed the Coast Guard and Roger Williams games from their schedule. Not sure why, however more changes are sure to come with so much uncertainty out there.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:56 am Don't send your kids to Amherst.
Might be the best NESCAC academically but it's always been the least fun with the worst looking student body. If the fun part, lacrosse, is now team building that is at least in a part a quasi guilt trip about the past 500 years of global race relations, I can see how recruiting might suffer.
VTLaxGuy

Post by VTLaxGuy »

pcowlax wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:16 am I think VT is still locked down but sounds like Midd is not playing regardless. Maybe Williams can drive a few miles west and host games in NY. Not sure what the player status is at most of these schools but have to assume they don’t have nearly as many unenrolled as the Ivys did due to lack of stay at home grad school options.
VT is open for business...UVM has played multiple games, St. Mikes has a full league schedule, Castleton opens this weekend with out of state play, and Norwich is soon to follow. Midd's decision has nothing to do with the State of VT. It's a decision that has been (or is being made) from their school and their administration.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

VTLaxGuy wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:06 am
pcowlax wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:16 am I think VT is still locked down but sounds like Midd is not playing regardless. Maybe Williams can drive a few miles west and host games in NY. Not sure what the player status is at most of these schools but have to assume they don’t have nearly as many unenrolled as the Ivys did due to lack of stay at home grad school options.
VT is open for business...UVM has played multiple games, St. Mikes has a full league schedule, Castleton opens this weekend with out of state play, and Norwich is soon to follow. Midd's decision has nothing to do with the State of VT. It's a decision that has been (or is being made) from their school and their administration.
I'm glad to see those schools all playing but Vermont state guideline still mandate quarantine for anyone either entering or leaving the state, even for day trips, who is not vaccinated. If I have wanted to ski in VT this year I have had to sneak in. Not sure if these schools are just ignoring the state rules or there is a blind eye being turned. These rules are of course ridiculous and asinine but they are at still in place.

https://www.healthvermont.gov/covid-19/ ... quarantine
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Laxxal22 wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:18 am
Might be the best NESCAC academically but it's always been the least fun with the worst looking student body. If the fun part, lacrosse, is now team building that is at least in a part a quasi guilt trip about the past 500 years of global race relations, I can see how recruiting might suffer.
But at this point there is no varsity lacrosse team. Just a group of guys who used to play lacrosse that are learning how to do "team building."
nehslaxfan

Post by nehslaxfan »

kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:02 pm
But at this point there is no varsity lacrosse team. Just a group of guys who used to play lacrosse that are learning how to do "team building."
The situation at Amherst is beyond sad. I wonder how much exposure this situation would have gotten if not for Covid taking center stage? I have to think this would have become a huge issue.
isaacwright22

Post by isaacwright22 »

nehslaxfan wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:38 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:02 pm
The situation at Amherst is beyond sad. I wonder how much exposure this situation would have gotten if not for Covid taking center stage? I have to think this would have become a huge issue.
For investigative journalism it's an underrepresented incident. Chip seems like the only one trying to generate some sort of story, hard to gain traction with covid as mentioned.
Laxwizard

Post by Laxwizard »

Thee was a lot of press from college lacrosse reporters about the new hire and most of them had good things to say; the only critical stories are from Chip (I think he has 3 in total). This board, which seems to represent parents, players, and alums, give some alternate perspectives - and is a great source of info. The best thing that could happen is for the season to start with some sort of schedule. Lots of good teams are born out of ugly transitions. We are all waiting for the NESCAC and AC announcements. They are way overdue.
VTLaxGuy

Post by VTLaxGuy »

pcowlax wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:36 am
I'm glad to see those schools all playing but Vermont state guideline still mandate quarantine for anyone either entering or leaving the state, even for day trips, who is not vaccinated. If I have wanted to ski in VT this year I have had to sneak in. Not sure if these schools are just ignoring the state rules or there is a blind eye being turned. These rules are of course ridiculous and asinine but they are at still in place.

Not trying to make this a "who knows more" pissing match or anything like that, but the guidelines you linked to are for travel and tourism. The State has entirely different rules for colleges and college athletics- Those rules are being followed strictly by UVM, Castleton, Norwich, and St. Mikes; who will all be playing spring sports (most have been playing winter sports too)....Middlebury is choosing not to try and do the same.

https://accd.vermont.gov/sites/accdnew/ ... -02-18.pdf

Section 10 deals with athletics:

"An institution’s alternative plan, which may allow the school to travel more freely and host schools from beyond
green counties, must include: three PCR tests weekly for all athletes, coaches and support staff participating in
athletic matches; an enhanced social contract in place for all student-athletes, coaches, and support staff that
commits students to reducing their social circles; and an actionable plan to remove student-athletes, coaches
and support staff from competition and campus if they violate the code of conduct. A positive test from a
member of the team community will require the school to cancel or delay any imminent games, practices or travel
for the entire team, and will require active consultation with the Vermont Department of Health. This guidance will
be reevaluated on or about January 1, 2021.

Institutions that host collegiate sports teams from outside of Vermont will be held accountable for visiting teams’
adherence to the state’s collegiate athletics COVID-19 policies. Visiting teams must be participating in a three test-weekly testing protocol (PCR preferred) for high contact sports or at least once-per-week testing protocol (PCR
preferred) for low-contact sports. Visiting teams must adhere to strict isolation when coming to Vermont. Game
day travel to and from Vermont is encouraged, hotel stays are only to occur when absolutely necessary, and when
they do occur, the teams must quarantine while at the hotel, avoiding contact with other guests and staff. Visiting
teams may not dine out, sightsee, or participate in any events outside from the athletic competition."

Long story short. Middlebury will be the only college in the State of Vermont not playing this spring. Not because the State won't let them, but because their president doesn't want them playing....really stinks for those athletes at Midd.
nehslaxfan

Post by nehslaxfan »

VTLaxGuy wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:48 pm
pcowlax wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:36 am

Not trying to make this a "who knows more" pissing match or anything like that, but the guidelines you linked to are for travel and tourism. The State has entirely different rules for colleges and college athletics- Those rules are being followed strictly by UVM, Castleton, Norwich, and St. Mikes; who will all be playing spring sports (most have been playing winter sports too)....Middlebury is choosing not to try and do the same.

https://accd.vermont.gov/sites/accdnew/ ... -02-18.pdf

Section 10 deals with athletics:

"An institution’s alternative plan, which may allow the school to travel more freely and host schools from beyond
green counties, must include: three PCR tests weekly for all athletes, coaches and support staff participating in
athletic matches; an enhanced social contract in place for all student-athletes, coaches, and support staff that
commits students to reducing their social circles; and an actionable plan to remove student-athletes, coaches
and support staff from competition and campus if they violate the code of conduct. A positive test from a
member of the team community will require the school to cancel or delay any imminent games, practices or travel
for the entire team, and will require active consultation with the Vermont Department of Health. This guidance will
be reevaluated on or about January 1, 2021.

Institutions that host collegiate sports teams from outside of Vermont will be held accountable for visiting teams’
adherence to the state’s collegiate athletics COVID-19 policies. Visiting teams must be participating in a three test-weekly testing protocol (PCR preferred) for high contact sports or at least once-per-week testing protocol (PCR
preferred) for low-contact sports. Visiting teams must adhere to strict isolation when coming to Vermont. Game
day travel to and from Vermont is encouraged, hotel stays are only to occur when absolutely necessary, and when
they do occur, the teams must quarantine while at the hotel, avoiding contact with other guests and staff. Visiting
teams may not dine out, sightsee, or participate in any events outside from the athletic competition."

Long story short. Middlebury will be the only college in the State of Vermont not playing this spring. Not because the State won't let them, but because their president doesn't want them playing....really stinks for those athletes at Midd.
Very sad that Middlebury is sitting this one out, especially based upon according to the Nescafé Covid tracker on Instagram shows they have had the lowest amount of positive tests in the entire league by a wide margin. Middlebury was on our sons list, glad he decided to go elsewhere.
Dave

Post by Dave »

CGA has a few games posted starting 3/27...no NESCAC teams...
WhiteCarrera

Post by WhiteCarrera »

Any way you want to look at the Amherst situation, it's comical that the President banned "formal team gatherings prior to November 1, 2020. This includes, but is not limited to, captains’ practices and team-bonding activities." (March 2020)

And now their corrective measure is to require team building measures to make up for the team building measures that they prohibited!

“As a result,” Epstein continued, “we have decided to implement a series of team-building sessions for students and the coaching staff led by a third party facilitator. Dan Faulstick and I will check in with the facilitator monthly to monitor progress.” (March 2021)

(The beatings will continue until morale improves.) But no one should be surprised, as lacrosse teams have always been quick and easy targets for administrations more worried about perception and the creation of an image that they did the right but tough thing. And it happens at all levels...Duke, Young Harris, Amherst. I'm sure you all can find other examples too.
It's either a thoughtful comment or smartass sarcasm. Learn to recognize the difference.
MA Lax Fan

Post by MA Lax Fan »

+1 👆
SneaksBeac

Post by SneaksBeac »

Dave wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:11 pm CGA has a few games posted starting 3/27...no NESCAC teams...
CGA is in the NEWMAC part of the NEWMAC return to play protocol is only playing NEWMAC competition.
nehslaxfan

Post by nehslaxfan »

Laxwizard wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:42 pm Thee was a lot of press from college lacrosse reporters about the new hire and most of them had good things to say; the only critical stories are from Chip (I think he has 3 in total). This board, which seems to represent parents, players, and alums, give some alternate perspectives - and is a great source of info. The best thing that could happen is for the season to start with some sort of schedule. Lots of good teams are born out of ugly transitions. We are all waiting for the NESCAC and AC announcements. They are way overdue.
How could there be good things to say when you lose a phenomenal coach without even a chance to defend himself and replace him with someone who has a less than stellar track record. Forgive me for saying bu this has all the appearance of a check the box hire which is unfortunate. The program will be reeling for years.
ah23

Post by ah23 »

It's definitely a very out of left field hire, but to be honest if the sport is going to change/become more diverse there will probably have to be some hires that seem a bit out there at first glance. The player base (and thus the likely pool of coaches) is not diverse at all. Really hoping he succeeds - Amherst should in theory a dream D-III job, but he will have his work cut out for him given what we know about the administration (to say nothing of the on the field competition).

As an aside: we're nearly at the end of the self-imposed deadline that NESCAC presidents set for issuing a final decision on spring sports (late February/early March). I don't really have a follow up to that statement, just frustrated that the conference remains in limbo as every (?) other conference has either outlined a return-to-play plan or already started playing.
georgeoar394

Post by georgeoar394 »

I don't see how people in this thread have hope for the nescac to host a season...it's going to be left up to the schools
NESLAX

Post by NESLAX »

georgeoar394 wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:31 pm I don't see how people in this thread have hope for the nescac to host a season...it's going to be left up to the schools

Agreed! I think that there will be play between 6 or 7 of the NESCAC teams, however I doubt it will be NESCAC league sanctioned.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”