Denver 2019

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Pio9

Re: Denver 2019

Post by Pio9 »

Thanks for the report DU-Fan! Anyone know if Marano or Semple have transferred anywhere? My internet detective skills haven't unearthed anything.
Dunker

Post by Dunker »

Pio9- Best just to let this one go. It's really a shame for both young men had tremendous skill sets.
gunnerz

Post by gunnerz »

https://www.9news.com/article/news/new- ... a991f00c7f

"New lacrosse shot clock rule has DU excited"
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Check on UD thread this weekend.
Should be getting a good report from old HenFan.
DU-fan

Post by DU-fan »

@10stone5 - Henpecked does an excellent job with the game reports and will definitely be at the game.
And to answer DU-Fans question, yes I will be there on Saturday. I am looking forward to seeing Ethan Walker play in person. I am also looking forward to seeing how the Hens attack does against this experienced defense. MD transfer Neufeldt is an animal. Should be fun.
Will be great to hear how it goes. I think most of the starters will play most of the game. Although, I think we continue to have more freshman rotate through attack on Saturday. I wish them continued success.
DU-fan

Post by DU-fan »

Great article on Lets Go DU - https://letsgodu.com/2019/02/01/2019-de ... n-preview/

2019 Denver Men’s Lacrosse Season Preview
by Sasha Kandrach
One decade ago, Bill Tierney left the dynasty of a lacrosse program he had established at Princeton University to take over the helm for the University of Denver Pioneers. Among his ambitions of growing the sport, he was determined to create a powerhouse program out west.

Now, four years removed from Denver’s sole national title [2015], the Pioneers enter this season eager for their second ring. But after missing Championship Weekend last season at the hands of Albany in an epic 15-13 battle, the general consensus was that the Pioneers would enter this season with a vengeful mentality.

“In one way I kind of go, ‘Whoa, was it that bad?’ But in another, I kind of smile,” Tierney said. “When your program is expected to be in Final Fours and they don’t, it’s looked upon as not a great season. I get that, that’s what I want. We’re all in with that. We use that as motivation.’

“The good thing about losing is it makes you want to win a lot more.”

And do they ever. The 2018 class were the final members of that 2015 title squad. The current 14-man senior class has endured their entire careers in pursuit of that second title. The 14 true seniors look to lead the fresh faces of a 19-man freshmen class back to Championship Weekend come May.

“Usually a strong senior class and a large freshmen class is a good combination,” coach Tierney said. “As long as you can get the freshmen that will crack the lineup to contribute.”

Denver returns veteran leadership across the field but is exceptionally evident within its defensive core. The Pioneers defense will field seniors Alex Ready in goal and defensemen Dylan Gaines, Dylan Johnson and junior Colin Squires.

“It’s huge,” defensive coordinator John Orsen said. “They have a lot of experience. They’ve been through every single lacrosse situation that you could possibly imagine. There’s not a scenario that they haven’t seen and that’s really important for the development of the whole team.”

Ready will receive the starting nod, but the jury remains out. Behind the senior netminder are four viable candidates among; Josh Matte, Tristan Wright, Cole French, and Kaleb Stroman.

“The beauty for him and I think the beauty for us that coincides is, that he’s got four guys pushing him and I mean really pushing him,” coach Tierney said. “We’re really comfortable with any one of the five of them. I think we owe it to Alex and I think he’ll respond with it being his senior year. He’s won a lot of great lacrosse games for us. We’ll give him the shot to win us some more.”

The Pioneers gained a vital addition at the long pole position in Maryland transfer Matt Neufeldt which was vacated by 2018 graduate Sean Mayle. Neufeldt opted to use his final year of eligibility with DU after being named an All-American and winning a national title (2017) with the Terps.

“Neufeldt brings us another guy who has an amazing lacrosse savvy and IQ,” Tierney said. “We’re not going to try and change Matt into being a Denver Pioneer through-and-through. He’s got three months left, you know? But what we are going to do is use the things he brings to us. Knowing that Denver’s defense and Maryland’s defense aren’t that far off from each other. Knowing that he’s played in big games. We’ll try to indoctrinate him as best we can to how we play but also let the reins loose a bit with him.”

Tierney challenged Neufeldt to collect 50 ground balls this season, a feat that the Naperville, Illinois native already surpassed in each of his three prior seasons at Maryland. The significance of that challenge?

The X without Trevor Baptiste

The era of No. 9 dominating the faceoff for the Crimson and Gold is over. While Denver will likely rely on freshmen Brett Boos and Jackson Harvey to manage the X, the Pioneers are confident in their wing play. Hence the proposition for Neufeldt to pick up at least 50 ground balls.

“I have a sense that we’re actually a lot better than we thought we were,” coach Tierney said. I have a good feeling. I think Boos is going to surprise some people early on.”

Denver’s high-powered offense will feature new faces but maintain a consistent core. The Pioneers return quintessential playmakers in Ethan Walker and Austin French at attack and potent midfield threats in Colton Jackson and Teddy Sullivan. Walker is coming off of a 70-point campaign where he was just shy of 50 goals (48). Jackson enters his final season healthy and looking to build off of his 22-goal junior year.

“I like where we’re at,” offensive coordinator Matt Brown said. “We’re more mature as a group this year. I think the veteran piece of it is going to play a big part in our success.”

Junior captain Danny Logan has a dutiful, heavier weight on his shoulders this season. As a sophomore, the midfielder elevated his game to include an ambidextrous shot which he perfected during the offseason. The Pioneers relied heavily on Logan as a defensive middie and on the wing play and will continue to this year.

“I wish we had five of him,” coach Brown said. “He’s really our heartbeat this year. He’s a do-it-all, utility-knife type of guy. If you look at last year, we had him on the first line midfield to start the year. Then, we felt like we needed a little more on the defensive presence so we bump him down and he becomes the best d-middy in the country. We look at this year, he can do whatever you ask him to do. He can play on the wings. He can play on the first line. He could be a 20-goal scorer this year. He could be the best d-middy in the country. Heck, he could take faceoffs for you. He’s as tough as they come and he’s a fantastic leader.”

Quinn McKone - the senior played cemented the Pioneers second midfield line last season and played crucial minutes. McKone provides consistency and will be assuming a much-earned leadership role with his steady presence.

Brett Greenlee - While the senior LSM has limited game experience, Greenlee is versatile in his ability to play up or down. Coach Orsen noted he’s a player they’re expecting to distribute big minutes to.

Jack Hannah - the sophomore midfielder spent the summer playing in coach Brown’s summer box lacrosse league in Ohio. Hannah impressed the coaching staff with his physical and technical development during the offseason as he looks to have a breakout year.

Rule Changes

The NCAA Playing Rules Oversight Panel implemented three changes that will take effect this season.

80-second shot clock
An 80-second shot clock which forces players to cross the midfield line in 20-seconds. The offensive team will then have 60-seconds to make a play on the net before possession is turned over.

The Dive
The Panel approved plays around the crease, but the definition has drawn some question marks.

“We haven’t used the word in our practices yet,” Tierney said. “We haven’t even talked about it. The risk versus the reward is something we haven’t quite figured out yet. The wording is so vague. It’ll be interesting to see how it’s implemented once we get some games going.”

Tierney explained that a better understanding of how the dive will be officiated once games are underway will determine their approach. He suspects the dive will be used more as a final effort to a winding shot clock.

Reduced Substitution Box

“That’s been a huge awakening for us,” Tierney said. “Now it’s harder to cut off fast breaks. You used to be able to just run an attackman off 10-yards down from the midline on one side and then run a pole on the other side 10-yards down from the midline. You had 20-yards to cut off a break. Now, it’s down to 10-yards.”

Moving On

Even after nearly 40-years of coaching experience, last season provided coach Tierney with valuable insight and lessons. With the sport continually growing and changing, Tierney and his staff are excited for the challenges and rewards in the coming season.

“Look, if you can’t learn in life then why live it?” coach Tierney said. “You can always learn. What’s great about coaching and sports is that is a really easy occupation to be humbled in.”
DU-fan

Post by DU-fan »

Tierney Radio show:

https://denverpioneers.com/watch/?Archi ... &type=Live
  • Talked about the rules changes
  • Delaware scrimmage - Ethan Walker and Cole French did not travel. Drew Erickson and Ellis Geis payed a lot. Alex Ready played great. Brett Boos went 11 of 16 on face offs. A lot of good and many areas they need to improve.
  • Air Force Preview
  • Growing the game / Utah / Pac-12
  • New faces on the team - Matt Neufeldt, Brett Boos, Ellis Geis, Drew Erickson, Alex Simmons
DU-fan

Post by DU-fan »

Good preseason video with some of the players: https://youtu.be/swxmiG7HpkE
Dunker

Post by Dunker »

Glad you guys are reading letsgodu.com (DU-Fan anyway) Sasha did a great job with preview. I like DU tomorrow 10-6* even w/o French and Walker.

*Prediction not adjusted for 80 second shot clock. We should win no matter what.
Puck Swami

Post by Puck Swami »

Glad I stumbled onto this site, as I never registered at the Lax Power forum, but read it from time to time. I am one of the part-time writers over at LetsGODU.com, and a long-time DU lacrosse (and DU sports) fan going back to the 1980s when I was a student at DU, although I really only started back getting into lacrosse more seriously when Tierney came to DU back in 2009.

I am looking forward to this season very much.

DU is certainly going to score enough goals to run with most teams, and the defense may be the best unit Tierney has had here since the 2015 title run team. Those two elements in combination make the Pios a big factor nationally, and Denver is deep and experienced at many positions, but also have a lot of new faces to integrate, which should be fun to watch.

DU's challenges are likely to be not only at the face-off X, but in goal, too. I hope both positions will be 50% -- as in 50% in face-offs wins without Baptiste, and a 50% saves percentage from its goalies where senior Alex Ready and four other guys are battling it out to start. This is the unknown, but if the Pios can maintain a 50% share of both aspects (face-offs and saves), I think the the season tilts in Denver's favor, due to the offensive and defensive depth. I also think the clearing game will be even more critical now that first 20 seconds of the shot clock are more likely to force teams to see more riding tactics on clears.

I am hearing that the Pios are a bit banged up right now, especially offensively, so it will be imperative for the defense to step up big until the offense starts to click...
Puck Swami

Post by Puck Swami »

Very good debut for the Pioneers to get a workmanlike 11-4 season opening win over Air Force at a chilly Barton Stadium. Were it not for Air Force goalie Braden Host's 17 saves, the score would have been far more lopsided...Shot clock is great to see, and the Pioneers handled it well - I think there was only one clock violation by the Pios.

I was most impressed with Denver's defense today - they really limited Air Force's shots to mostly perimeter efforts, and the addition of Matt Neufeldt at the LSM pole, caused good havoc in the middle of the field, disrupting AFA's transition game. Alex Ready had 10 saves for DU, which certainly helped.Danny Logan did a nice job on ground balls, too. The Pios are going keep a lot of teams under 10 goals this year.

Pioneers offense was pretty good today, considering they were playing without senior attack man Austin French. Ellis Geis has a hat trick in his first Pioneer game as a freshman, stepping in for French. I also thought Alex Simmons played well today in his first game, with a top-cheddar laser for his first goal as a Pio. It was interesting that when AFA double-covered Ethan Walker (a lot), the Pioneers were able to spread the offensive opportunities around. Brett Boos looked excellent at face-off today, replacing the graduated Trevor Baptiste.

Where the Pioneers need much more work is on the man-up, which did not score today, and clears, which only went 17-23.

All in all, a good first game in the cold.
DU-fan

Post by DU-fan »

Overall, I thought it was a good game.

Denver looked sharped on offense in the first and third quarters. They did get stuck with too much dodging and not enough ball movement in the 2nd and 4th quarters.

There were a lot of bright spots:

0.789 Face Off winning percent was great from Brett Boos and the wings
0.692 Save percentage and 9 saves for Alex Ready
Defense was very solid
Ellis Geis (A-Fr) - 3G
Colin Rutan (A-Sr) - 2G, 2A
Ethan Walker (A-Jr) - 1G, 1A
Jack Hannah (M-So) - 1G, 3A
Ted Sullivan (M-So) - 1G, 1A
Colton Jackson (M-Sr) - 1G, 1A
Alex Simmons (M-Fr) - 1G
Quinn McKone (M-Sr) - 1G

Freshman - 4G
Sophomores - 2G, $A
Juniors - 1G, A1
Seniors - 4G, 3A

A very balanced effort with a lot of upside. Lots of freshman played important roles. This team will get much better when they get their offense firing on all cylinders. This will be a fun season. I like that we are under the radar.
DU-fan

Post by DU-fan »

Not that polls mean much beyond motivation and false confidence.

IL Media Poll has DU @ #6, up from #8

Quint Kessenich hat DU @ #3, down from #2

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... eday/53723

Duke game will be a much bigger barometer than Air Force. I think DU is playing Duke at the right time. Although, I suspect Austin French will still be out to recover.
laxadaisical

Post by laxadaisical »

Assist on 8 of 11 goals is a positive; 22% shooting percentage will need to improve. Defense was lights out, very fun to watch that unit. What will the media write about Denver now that the Trevor Baptiste spell is broken?
laxadaisical

Post by laxadaisical »

Also, the new Warrior Burn lids were special; great that DU got to intro them.
DU-fan

Post by DU-fan »

laxadaisical wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:39 pm Assist on 8 of 11 goals is a positive; 22% shooting percentage will need to improve. Defense was lights out, very fun to watch that unit. What will the media write about Denver now that the Trevor Baptiste spell is broken?
Interesting, but perhaps not too surprising, was that all 8 assists came from non-Freshman. I suspect we will see the Freshman getting more assists as they get more comfortable with the offense and playing together as a team.
DaneFan

Post by DaneFan »

I expected Denver to look pretty good coming out of the gates, but I expected AF to look better especially after what I heard about their scrimmage with Notre Dame. With so many teams stumbling out of the gate Denver did a good job taking care of business.
Puck Swami

Post by Puck Swami »

It will be interesting to see how long Austin French remains out of the lineup with his injury. The television people seemed to say he might be back for the Duke game, but other people close to the program have said it may be that French is out longer.

Freshman Ellis Gies certainly did well to step in last week with a hat trick from French's position, but Duke is better than Air Force, and I think he'll face a better defense.

I think against Duke, Ethan Walker will need to have a larger impact on the game than he did against the Falcons. While he was often double-teamed vs. Air Force, his quick shots need to be more on cage. Additionally, I am hoping to see more from Colton Jackson. He's a senior honorable mention All-American who has the size, moves, shot and experience to be of the very best downhill dodgers in college lacrosse, and this is the season for him to shine.

Teddy Sullivan is a another player that could have a breakout season. His huge dagger goal stopped a two goal Air force run, and put the game essentially out of reach in the second quarter.
Dunker

Post by Dunker »

THE PUCK (Swami) stops here. What a nice addition to our merry and really knowledgeable group. I agree Teddy Sullivan may become a star. Besides certain frosh, I believe Riley Curtis will come of age and have a Bromberry like career w/o the transfer. He played at half speed last year due to injuries. I was pleasantly surprise that Jack Hanna looked so comfortable on the field. He will help.

Beat Duke!! Go Pios!!
HGK25

Post by HGK25 »

Curious as to why Denver plays at Duke again this year. Was it simply part of the scheduling agreement they agreed a few years back?

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”