D1 Mens Lacrosse
Mr3Putt

Re: VIRGINIA Lacrosse

Post by Mr3Putt »

Losing @ the half 7-5z let’s not go crazy
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Very nice tribute by US Lacrosse on Bo Moore UVA '54.

https://www.uslacrosse.org/blog/us-lacr ... asses-away
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

+100 :!:
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Couple of tidbits.

Pop was the goalie for UVA's 1st National Championship team in 1952, captain his senior year in '54. 3X AA, and North South game.

Along with Bob Catzen in '48, he holds UVA's record for highest saves in a single game with 35 versus Army in 1954. That year, he also had 29 saves vs Hopkins and 28 versus W&L.

Indeed, he holds the highest saves per game record at UVA with an average of 16.46 saves per game, and the single season record average of 17.45 saves per game.

He was a member of the Student Council, St. Elmo, and the Z Society, and was honored to live on the Lawn his senior year.

He loved the Wahoos and continued to be involved in UVA through the Alumni Board and in the latter years was instrumental in building the Jefferson Trust.

The picture in the US Lacrosse tribute was taken in Manchester England. After the '54 season, they took a dozen players to England as the first US team to play a full schedule of English teams in London, Cambridge, and Manchester.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

MD,

Very sorry for your loss. Beautiful tribute. I hope and trust you and your family are marching forward. Sounds like "Pop" would have expected it.

Godspeed and RIP.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Yes.
That ^^^

Hope all is as well as can be expected.
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

Here also Md. Regrets to you and yours.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Thanks to all.
He passed as he lived, surrounded by family and friends telling stories, laughing and loving one another. He felt he was a truly fortunate man and was ready to go. He will be missed.

My son and I will be at the Loyola game wearing some orange and blue in his honor.
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:10 am Very nice tribute by US Lacrosse on Bo Moore UVA '54.

A wonderful tribute to a man who loved the game and no doubt loved his family even more.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

MD, I have been occupied and off so I am just learning about "Pop"

I sat in front of him a few games and had some fascinating conversations about all aspects of the game. I would look for him when I could. I liked him a lot. Peace.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

This is why LP, and now really the back up stick FanLax is different :!:
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

OCanada wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:02 am MD, I have been occupied and off so I am just learning about "Pop"

I sat in front of him a few games and had some fascinating conversations about all aspects of the game. I would look for him when I could. I liked him a lot. Peace.
Thanks very much, OCanada. He was never shy about his opinions!
But he really did know the game well, and was encyclopedic on its history and its many personalities of yesteryear. He loved discussing the game with fellow fans of the sport.

Condolences to Lars Tiffany and his family as well.
Lars' father passed away shortly ago as well, services last weekend.
RIP.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

MD, just have seen the news -- best to you and your entire family on the loss of your father. I've greatly enjoyed the window into U.S. lacrosse history you provide online through the lens of the experiences of three generations of terrific goaltenders. I have no doubt that as great as his lacrosse accomplishments were (35 saves!), he was an even better father and grandfather. God bless.
Charlie Don't Surf

Post by Charlie Don't Surf »

Orfling: Cannot say it better. Agree wholeheartedly.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:10 am Very nice tribute by US Lacrosse on Bo Moore UVA '54.

All the best to you and your family. You have great memories and thanks for sharing them with us from time to time.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

Van Arsdale's offense tallied 17 today.
Live Free or Die!
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

Cooter wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:41 pm Van Arsdale's offense tallied 17 today.
Well played.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

it helps to have stanwick and spencer playing asst. offensive coordinator.
meaning --- it helps to have jimmies and joes. van's chops were only questioned when those guys weren't around and it was solely ring-around-the-alley dodge.
regardless... loyola usually has looked pretty good in the van arsdale/spencer era.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

wgdsr wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:17 pm
it helps to have stanwick and spencer playing asst. offensive coordinator.
meaning --- it helps to have jimmies and joes. van's chops were only questioned when those guys weren't around and it was solely ring-around-the-alley dodge.
regardless... loyola usually has looked pretty good in the van arsdale/spencer era.
Spencer was indeed dominating today. 5 and 2, and the primary focus for both teams. Felt unstoppable, scoring whenever Loyola needed it.
Lindley was also explosive.

But the game ball has to go to Stover with 18 saves, 9GA. Bunch of in tight stuffs and blocks, and some outstanding saves from medium range.
And toughest day had to go to Rode with 6 saves, 17GA.

My son and I sat with our 'new family' Matt Moore's brothers, cousins, parents etc, which was fun as he had a terrific game with 5 points and a lot of involvement. Conrad, as usual, seemed like the best midfielder for either team, but Stover made some big stops. Aitken seemed to me could do more, but he scored 3 times. I'd just like to see him step up another notch, as I think there's another gear he may have. Kraus had 4 points but it ever really felt like he was taking over. But, again, Stover made 18 saves.

Penalties and few clean wins at X, slowed the Hoos down, I thought. I was a bit surprised by the closeness though at overall GB's and at X as it felt like the differential was greater. I liked UVA's hustle, though.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

So sorry to hear of your loss. Your family has contributed so much to the game.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”