Big 10 Women’s Lacrosse

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Cletus

Re: Big 10 Women’s Lacrosse

Post by Cletus »

Thanks Bill. Good shtuff. Very full answer to the question. Lots of good insight into Maryland and the McDonogh pipeline.
LaxGuy17

Post by LaxGuy17 »

Would be interested to get a biased view of Maryland this year from some of the posters that know them best. They were building momentum last year, get Colson back to offset Schettig loss on D, I’m sure have some good rookies coming in. What’s a good prediction for them this year?
Itsallgood

Post by Itsallgood »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 4:07 pm
Itsallgood wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:20 pm I am a long time supporter of the Terps ,however I see a tough road ahead vs NU. The pendulum will swing to the NU side for the next few years. NU now appears to be the more athletic team ,and has the most dynamic offense in the Big 10. NU defense is questionable but when you dominate at the draw the way they do , you don’t get much action on that end.
What are your thoughts on NU's penchant for zoning out defensively during parts of a game and how will that factor into the pendulum swing you speak of?

Perfect example is last years game vs UNC. NU took a 10-8 lead into the half, then promptly surrendered the next 5 goals to begin the 2nd period. Game over. NU trailed the whole rest of the way. UNC won 4 of the 5 draw controls which led to those 5 goals. Even the single draw won by NU during that stretch was turned over almost immediately and eventually ended up being the other UNC goal.

Typically, Reese's teams are very disciplined and rarely guilty of sloppy or careless play. Last year has to be considered an anomaly for Maryland given their track record under Reese. But coaching isn't everything as we know. A coach still needs good players. Perfect example of that is Navy post Collins sisters.

I like NU--I just don't know if they can sustain a disciplined approach to team defense over a season/postseason--let alone years--especially against the Terps. (By the way--anyone have any inside info as to the rate and quality of recruits coming to Maryland this year, next year? Do they still have a direct pipeline from McDonogh?) And don't get me wrong, as I stated in a previous post, I love seeing Maryland lose. Nothing personal (apart from some of their insufferable fan base)--I just get bored with the same team winning over a period of years, regardless of the sport.
When it comes to NU defense I think the sisters play almost completely flat footed and totally square to their opposition. Take a look at the semifinals from 2019 or the UNC game from last year ( BTN provides all of the old games if you just roll the calendar to the correct date ) They also really lay the lumber on their opponent ( talk to Scotty Rose Growney , she’s probably still pulling splinters from her shoulder) lunging cross checks on defense leave them out of position. Palermo is dynamite ,hope she stays healthy.
Turtles Lax

And here we go...

Post by Turtles Lax »

...Terps v. The Hop POSTPONED! :evil:

Beervirus concerns in the Hopkins’ community.

Peace,out.

TL

Addendum: Had not seen seacoaster’s post in the ‘Miscellaneous...’ thread when this post was first made.
LaxDad23

Post by LaxDad23 »

njbill wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:11 pm I’ll take a crack at this mainly based on memory and without checking records or the Internet, except I did look at Maryland rosters going back to the beginning of Reese’s tenure as head coach there.

Back in the lax power era, this would be a pretty simple exercise as one could access their recruits database. Recruit information is still available online through various sources, but it’s not as easily accessible or comprehensive as was the lax power information.

I fully agree that Cathy Reese still has a pipeline to McDonogh given that Taylor Cummings is the head coach there. Reese’s “scouting department” is second to none. Her husband coaches in the IAAM A conference so she has two top notch scouts (Brian and Taylor) to advise her about talent in that league. Also, Cathy’s HS coach Chris Robinson still runs the M&D club so he can advise her on talent at his club and, no doubt, on the club circuit in general.

I don’t think any more than, say, two or three (at the most) players from McDonogh go to Maryland in any given year. What has helped Maryland considerably, though, is the quality of the players. Taylor Cummings, Megan Whittle, Brindi Griffin, Catie May, Emma Tilson, Julia Hoffman, Emma Schettig (since transferred). Haven’t seen her play, but in the 2022 class, Kori Edmondson is committed to Maryland. She is a very highly ranked recruit.

Looking through old Maryland rosters, it looks to me like Taylor Cummings was the first McDonogh grad who was recruited by Cathy at Maryland. (Early in her tenure, there was another McDonogh player who transferred in, but wasn’t a star player.)

On the other hand, some top McDonogh players have gone to other schools: Sammi Burgess, Andie Aldave, both Jenners, Julia Dorsey. I’m certainly missing names from this list, but that gives you a flavor that some top talent does get away.
From Inside Lacrosse Recruits page for 2021s and 2022s...
https://www.insidelacrosse.com/recruiti ... _state=ALL
laxagainsthumanity

Post by laxagainsthumanity »

Itsallgood wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:33 pm When it comes to NU defense I think the sisters play almost completely flat footed and totally square to their opposition. Take a look at the semifinals from 2019 or the UNC game from last year ( BTN provides all of the old games if you just roll the calendar to the correct date ) They also really lay the lumber on their opponent ( talk to Scotty Rose Growney , she’s probably still pulling splinters from her shoulder) lunging cross checks on defense leave them out of position. Palermo is dynamite ,hope she stays healthy.
Totally agree. Also yellow card liabilities. NU defense in general would be well-served to clean up their play and put together a more aggressive ride. I think discipline is a bigger problem for them than ability.
Cletus

New Playoff Format for conference championship

Post by Cletus »

Cletus

Tough Decision

Post by Cletus »

Three Big 10 games, all starting at noon. Which one will you watch? Of course, if you have a subscription to BTN+ you can watch the replays after each game has finished. I have to start with NU at JHU and then check out the replays after.

Big 10.png
Big 10.png (42.31 KiB) Viewed 2501 times
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Watching JHU-NU and it's deja vu all over again: No. 15 for NU gets a yellow card, and the Jays throw the ball away. Sigh.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Goal #3 for Hop was pretty, two on one fast break, the pass to the gal on the doorstep was the right play (rather than shooting), both players executed nicely. Text book.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Switching over to UMass-BU and hoping for a competitive game. Like, with the score close.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Beautiful fast break and score by the Blue Jays. 10-6 NU
Cletus

Michigan

Post by Cletus »

Michigan got exposed this weekend with what has been a problem for Nielsen’s teams—they have no offensive ingenuity. They don’t have enough scoring power to seriously contend in the Big 10, let alone the rest of the NCAA.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

I love to watch lax, but the Big Ten Plus does not have announcers or even a scoreboard with the score and time available for the games I'm watching right now - Rutgers vs. Mich and Hopkins vs. Ohio State. Come on Man - it's the Big Ten - step it up.
Island Laxer

Post by Island Laxer »

OS/JHU... tough to watch. turnovers, offense, where do you start. I'm not sure OS wins another game here out. .... in what universe was OS ranked 20 prior to this game?
LaxGuy17

Post by LaxGuy17 »

Island Laxer wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:23 pm OS/JHU... tough to watch. turnovers, offense, where do you start. I'm not sure OS wins another game here out. .... in what universe was OS ranked 20 prior to this game?
The first game UM/Rutgers was no different. Turnovers galore. Fitting that Rutgers lost on what was one of the worst turnovers in the middle of the field you will ever see in D1 lacrosse. Think the girls were a little tight in OT. Seemed like Rutgers won the last 10 face offs and still managed to lose. UM a shell of last years team which I had started to believe in a little bit.
ckstevenson

Post by ckstevenson »

Brownlax wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:52 pm I love to watch lax, but the Big Ten Plus does not have announcers or even a scoreboard with the score and time available for the games I'm watching right now - Rutgers vs. Mich and Hopkins vs. Ohio State. Come on Man - it's the Big Ten - step it up.
I swear student run broadcasts would be better.

I'm trying to not complain about there being lacrosse to watch, but I generally think with all the student sports covering talent at various B1G schools they could handle most games very well. MD alone has Merrill for journalism, with a TON of sports focused students. They do UMUC radio sports, Maryland Baseball Network, Testudo Times, and several others (the Diamondback student newspaper) outside of their studies!
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

ckstevenson wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:33 am
Brownlax wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:52 pm I love to watch lax, but the Big Ten Plus does not have announcers or even a scoreboard with the score and time available for the games I'm watching right now - Rutgers vs. Mich and Hopkins vs. Ohio State. Come on Man - it's the Big Ten - step it up.

I'm trying to not complain about there being lacrosse to watch, but I generally think with all the student sports covering talent at various B1G schools they could handle most games very well.
I agree, they need a score/time banner with shot and player advantage clocks on screen. Very difficult to keep track of the game without it. But I wouldn't mind if they never added announcers. As long as the field mics are good and the camerawork frames the action tight enough in the attack zone to see the numbers on the jersey's, I would be content. Sometimes a prattling, just-trying-to-wing-it announcer is much worse than being able to hear only the sounds from the field.
ckstevenson

Post by ckstevenson »

Cletus wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:56 am
ckstevenson wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:33 am

I'm trying to not complain about there being lacrosse to watch, but I generally think with all the student sports covering talent at various B1G schools they could handle most games very well.
I agree, they need a score/time banner with shot and player advantage clocks on screen. Very difficult to keep track of the game without it. But I wouldn't mind if they never added announcers. As long as the field mics are good and the camerawork frames the action tight enough in the attack zone to see the numbers on the jersey's, I would be content. Sometimes a prattling, just-trying-to-wing-it announcer is much worse than being able to hear only the sounds from the field.
We need more cameras behind the goals!! Some of the women's games have had an elevated camera looking from the end line over the goal and it's glorious.
Cletus

That was quick!

Post by Cletus »

Big 10 moves quickly to reschedule Penn State at Northwestern back-to-back games. They will take place this coming Thursday and Saturday.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”