PAC 2021

D3 Mens Lacrosse
LAXDonkey

PAC 2021

Post by LAXDonkey »

LAXDonkey

Re: PAC 2021

Post by LAXDonkey »

Looks like the season is on, most likely playing within the conference only. Who do you got?

Grove City (there's until they get knocked off)
Chatham
St. Vincent
Thiel
novalax1

Post by novalax1 »

Grove City will be tough to knock off. Interested to see how the rest of the conference does with the coaching changes at SVC and Chatham. Westminster also has some talented guys coming in so should be a good year in the PAC
OHLaxDad

Post by OHLaxDad »

Can someone give me an idea of the level of play in the PAC? Maybe in comparison to the NCAC or the OAC? I have a son looking to play in college and there are some PAC schools with majors he may be interested in. Thanks!
River Donkey

Post by River Donkey »

OHLaxDad wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:05 pm Can someone give me an idea of the level of play in the PAC? Maybe in comparison to the NCAC or the OAC? I have a son looking to play in college and there are some PAC schools with majors he may be interested in. Thanks!
PAC is more OAC level. NCAC is a pretty tough conference.
OHLaxDad

Post by OHLaxDad »

River Donkey wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:18 pm
OHLaxDad wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:05 pm Can someone give me an idea of the level of play in the PAC? Maybe in comparison to the NCAC or the OAC? I have a son looking to play in college and there are some PAC schools with majors he may be interested in. Thanks!
Thanks. That was what I thought. I assume that like the OAC, the level of competitiveness varies with the PAC schools?
Switzerland

Post by Switzerland »

OHLaxDad wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:32 am
Thanks. That was what I thought. I assume that like the OAC, the level of competitiveness varies with the PAC schools?
You could also argue that you are probably increasing the level of academic rigor(on aggregate) from conferences as you go from PAC to OAC to NCAC. Still, all of the schools in those leagues are different, and you need to find the best academic/financial/social/etc. fit for your son.
OHLaxDad

Post by OHLaxDad »

Switzerland wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:40 am
OHLaxDad wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:32 am
You could also argue that you are probably increasing the level of academic rigor(on aggregate) from conferences as you go from PAC to OAC to NCAC. Still, all of the schools in those leagues are different, and you need to find the best academic/financial/social/etc. fit for your son.
Appreciate the insights. You have confirmed my understanding of the profile of these schools. Lax is one part of the search for the right fit and a part of the social fit for him.
payday

Post by payday »

I’d say that the competitiveness of each of these conferences varies greatly from top to bottom within the conference, but the competition and enthusiasm level for lacrosse at these Midwest schools is on the rise. One thing that will be difficult to account for right now is the effect the pandemic will have on these teams and their respective schools/athletic departments.

My take:

The NCAC is probably viewed as the strongest, mostly because its top two teams, Denison and OWU, have historically played a national schedule and had long-term success. Hard to argue that those two teams haven’t been the best in this region for a long, long time. However, taking nothing away from Kenyon and Wooster (both good quality programs), I haven’t seen the remaining schools in the NCAC compete consistently at the level of the top two or perform significantly better than many of their OAC and PAC counterparts.

The OAC is a younger (but no longer young) conference that is very competitive and has continued to improve significantly every year. It’s led by John Carroll, with Capital, B-W, ONU and Otterbein each being quite good as well. Their annual conference tournament is a dogfight. I believe the OAC has closed or largely closed the perceived gap between the NCAC (other than Denison) and itself.

The PAC only formed a league for lacrosse starting with the 2019 season after splitting up the Ohio River Lacrosse Conference, so it is relatively young. Grove City, although one of the leagues newest varsity programs, has quickly risen to the top of the conference with talent from across the country and plays an increasingly difficult OOC schedule (last year defeating Eastern power Coast Guard). Also, St. Vincent, Chatham and Westminster, have proven themselves to be good quality, rising programs that can and will compete favorably. Due to its youth, the PAC is playing a little catch-up, but is moving up quickly and has the athletic resources and commitment to sustain the sport’s growth. It would be unwise to underestimate its prospects in the near term.

As to academic strength, to each his own opinion. The strengths of the individual majors matter. Excellence is rarely found across the board. There are quite a few excellent academic institutions in each conference. I’d suggest you look beyond US NWR and other “objective” rankings and consider the experience and influences that are best for your son for both 4 and 40 years. You can find a very high quality, competitive lacrosse experience in any of these conferences. Making it fit with the desired academics is always the key. Coaching and financial commitment to the lacrosse programs should not be overlooked.

I wish you the best of luck with this decision.
laxrat55

Post by laxrat55 »

The NCAC would beat the PAC teams like a red headed step child
He/Him/His
CW Post 91'
Long Island vs. the world
OHLaxDad

Post by OHLaxDad »

payday wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:44 pm I’d say that the competitiveness of each of these conferences varies greatly from top to bottom within the conference, but the competition and enthusiasm level for lacrosse at these Midwest schools is on the rise. One thing that will be difficult to account for right now is the effect the pandemic will have on these teams and their respective schools/athletic departments.

My take:

The NCAC is probably viewed as the strongest, mostly because its top two teams, Denison and OWU, have historically played a national schedule and had long-term success. Hard to argue that those two teams haven’t been the best in this region for a long, long time. However, taking nothing away from Kenyon and Wooster (both good quality programs), I haven’t seen the remaining schools in the NCAC compete consistently at the level of the top two or perform significantly better than many of their OAC and PAC counterparts.

The OAC is a younger (but no longer young) conference that is very competitive and has continued to improve significantly every year. It’s led by John Carroll, with Capital, B-W, ONU and Otterbein each being quite good as well. Their annual conference tournament is a dogfight. I believe the OAC has closed or largely closed the perceived gap between the NCAC (other than Denison) and itself.

The PAC only formed a league for lacrosse starting with the 2019 season after splitting up the Ohio River Lacrosse Conference, so it is relatively young. Grove City, although one of the leagues newest varsity programs, has quickly risen to the top of the conference with talent from across the country and plays an increasingly difficult OOC schedule (last year defeating Eastern power Coast Guard). Also, St. Vincent, Chatham and Westminster, have proven themselves to be good quality, rising programs that can and will compete favorably. Due to its youth, the PAC is playing a little catch-up, but is moving up quickly and has the athletic resources and commitment to sustain the sport’s growth. It would be unwise to underestimate its prospects in the near term.

As to academic strength, to each his own opinion. The strengths of the individual majors matter. Excellence is rarely found across the board. There are quite a few excellent academic institutions in each conference. I’d suggest you look beyond US NWR and other “objective” rankings and consider the experience and influences that are best for your son for both 4 and 40 years. You can find a very high quality, competitive lacrosse experience in any of these conferences. Making it fit with the desired academics is always the key. Coaching and financial commitment to the lacrosse programs should not be overlooked.

I wish you the best of luck with this decision.
Thank you! I appreciate the in depth analysis.
formerd3

Post by formerd3 »

No PAC team would even make the OAC 4 team playoff system. GCC is very solid - but still cannot beat BW or CAP
payday

Post by payday »

Good news. Looks like the PAC is a go for the Spring lax season, albeit with a conference-only schedule. Play starts Feb. 27. Schedules for the the teams are starting to drop on their respective websites.
BeatenZone

Post by BeatenZone »

Joyous to have PAC and any D3 Conference playing. Lots of lacrosse snobs and downright petty posters on these forums. Screw them and enjoy the majority of posters who encourage the sport in D3 with its unique challenges and opportunities to grow the sport. Does not matter if it is Salisbury v. Tufts or Hendrix v. LaGrange; if it is your kid giving it all in a one point match your love and heart are equal, as is theirs. Yes we are aware of the talent levels, but the spirit is the same. God love them all and let them play.
DQKing

Post by DQKing »

Best post I've seen anywhere in a long long time.
LAXDonkey

Post by LAXDonkey »

Looks like all schedules are posted finally. No out of conference games. Five games with other conference opponents that don't count towards rankings. Then they drop into Conference Play. A lot of state restrictions due to COVID were lessened on Monday but the schools seem to have pretty stringent restrictions. W&J and St. Vincent do not look like they will allow spectators. Chatham is really restricting the number of fans at the games. The only ones that seem to be allowing fans to come normally (as possible) is Franciscan and Bethany. I guess we should be happy they get to play at all.

My top 4:

Grove City / Chatham (pickem)
St. Vincent
Thiel
LAXDonkey

Post by LAXDonkey »

Big win in PAC Conference play last night. Chatham over St. Vincent for the first time. New Coach seems to have things headed in the right direction.
Laxguru333

Post by Laxguru333 »

How much has this conference grown in the past 4 years? Going from being irrelevant to multiple 10+win programs.

Grove City just beat Denison, the others are playing competitive national games as well.

The game is growing the right way in the PAC.
DQKing

Post by DQKing »

For this being only their 4th (?) year in D3 Grove City is certainly impressive.
Laxguru333

Post by Laxguru333 »

DQKing wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 8:22 am For this being only their 4th (?) year in D3 Grove City is certainly impressive.
You’re correct, Grove City is leaps and bounds ahead of the the next tier within this conference.

How much noise can the Grove City Wolverines make in the national tournament? With their FO/goalie play I think they have serious potential to advance to the round of 8. Thoughts??

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”