Progressive Ideology

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
runrussellrun

Happy haters

Post by runrussellrun »

f
Last edited by runrussellrun on Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
cradleandshoot

Re: Progressive Ideology

Post by cradleandshoot »

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/20 ... cial-unde/

Even poor old Dr Suess has to face the wrath of the FLP movement. :roll:
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
holmes435

Post by holmes435 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:20 am https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/20 ... cial-unde/

If you want to read it straight from the horse's mouth, it's a lot more nuanced than the Washington Times thinks. They're not cancelling Dr. Seuss, they just want educators to talk about Dr. Seuss to their students when appropriate. Also, it's from two years ago :lol:

https://www.learningforjustice.org/maga ... t-dr-seuss

"If you’re thinking you need to burn your favorite copy of The Sneetches or The Cat in the Hat Comes Back, I’d really rather that you didn’t—we’re all about environmental safety here. If you’re thinking you need to have some important conversations with your students? You’re absolutely right."

I read Dr. Seuss to my kids all the time, he's done a lot of good, but the guy had some issues, including being a product of his time.

Also, who cancelled Mr. Potato Head? Hasbro is still selling Mr. Potato Head and Mrs. Potato Head under the Potato head brand. Washington Times needs to get with the times.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

art first...
Last edited by runrussellrun on Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

holmes435 wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:18 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:20 am https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/20 ... cial-unde/

If you want to read it straight from the horse's mouth, it's a lot more nuanced than the Washington Times thinks. They're not cancelling Dr. Seuss, they just want educators to talk about Dr. Seuss to their students when appropriate. Also, it's from two years ago :lol:

https://www.learningforjustice.org/maga ... t-dr-seuss

"If you’re thinking you need to burn your favorite copy of The Sneetches or The Cat in the Hat Comes Back, I’d really rather that you didn’t—we’re all about environmental safety here. If you’re thinking you need to have some important conversations with your students? You’re absolutely right."

I read Dr. Seuss to my kids all the time, he's done a lot of good, but the guy had some issues, including being a product of his time.

Also, who cancelled Mr. Potato Head? Hasbro is still selling Mr. Potato Head and Mrs. Potato Head under the Potato head brand. Washington Times needs to get with the times.
Wow, those cartoons sure are a product of a different era. There were a bunch of those Looney Tune cartoons from the 50s that were very similar in how black people were portrayed. I also read my kids Dr Suess books when they were kids. I don't remember anything inappropriate in his books I read to my kids. Hard to understand how Suess devolved from a racist cartoon like that to writing the Butter Battle Book?
Bob Ross:
holmes435

Post by holmes435 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:35 am Wow, those cartoons sure are a product of a different era. There were a bunch of those Looney Tune cartoons from the 50s that were very similar in how black people were portrayed. I also read my kids Dr Suess books when they were kids. I don't remember anything inappropriate in his books I read to my kids. Hard to understand how Suess devolved from a racist cartoon like that to writing the Butter Battle Book?
Yeah, there were a number of crazy ads like that from the late 20's to early 40's, but it's nice to see people learn and evolve over time, and he seemed to especially post WWII. There's also the sad story of his first wife. She had Guillain-Barre syndrome and was partially paralyzed for more than a decade. She killed herself after finding out Seuss was having an affair. He then married the woman he was having his affair with (who was also married at the time).

He did a lot of work regarding school children illiteracy later on, and should certainly be celebrated with a little context.

Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

6x6 wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:12 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:28 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:36 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:01 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:10 pm
jhu72 wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:16 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:31 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:53 am
dislaxxic wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:50 am Using the term "working to dismantle the department" shows how clueless and egregiously partisan this newspaper writer is. OF COURSE language like that is going to inflame passions about the entire subject...in a negative and very harmful way.

From the beginning, the whole "defund the police" issue has been mis-used and ABUSED by authoritarian whackjob types who would much rather just fill up the private prison system with people they are afraid of.

At the risk of over-simplifying it, for the more nuance-challenged among us, think of it this way...sending a gun-toting uniformed policeman into EVERY situation that demands an immediate response, understanding that there is a lot of uncertainty in just what may be happening, MAY NOT BE THE BEST APPROACH in every case. Some would say, "just get AUTHORITY in there to put down the threat, whatever it is!"

Moving funding around to focus on different approaches to community policing/threat assessment/domestic disturbance/social services is not a bad idea, in this progressive's mind.

Watching "conservatives" mangle the issue for partisan reasons is troubling, but not at all surprising...

That said, the "mistake" in all this is that may require more funding at first to achieve the better outcomes, but pay off with less incarceration, less hostility between community and police.

However, I continue to think that there won't be a huge breakthrough until drug usage is decriminalized, treated vigorously as a public health issue, and the value of a street corner goes to near nothing as a result. Huge payoff in less incarceration and less violence on the streets for both residents and police.
Can you define more clearly what you mean by de criminalize? Is that just for possession or does that include making it legal for corner street dealers? You can treat it as a health crisis all day long but you are only fooling yourself. I don't know if you have ever witnessed someone you love that has the monkey on their back. They will tell you with a sincere and strait face they want to quit. Before my best friends heart exploded from his cocaine addiction years ago, I use to believe him. When you have gone through more than a dozen drug rehabs chances are you are a dead man walking. These people will lie to your face. The only thing they want is to get high. Who ever goes down with them is immaterial to them getting high. One time my friend had gotten out of rehab with big plans to see his kids on Christmas Eve and bring them presents. His ex wife called me that evening wanting to know if I had seen him. His son and daughter were outside on the front porch crying their eyes out waiting for him to show up. Yeah you just treat it real vigorously as a medical problem. I went with my buddy a couple of times to the meetings they had at Park Ridge Chemical Dendancy. One thing the lady said that night while talking to these people. She told them flat out that out of a hundred of them only one would still be drug free in five years. She was more than right in my friends case. He was dead before that 5 year mark ever arrived. Drug addicts wear tear your heart to pieces because you really want to believe they want to quit. Outside of a miracle and some sort of divine intervention, they never quit.
... decriminalize generally means (when applied to drug policy), making them legal for sale / distribution under sensible regulation, taking the money, high markups out of drugs. In all cases it means users are not made criminals. Sensible regulation means making some legal and taxing them, some remain illegal to sell or distribute. Generally the most dangerous will remain illegal for sale and distribution.

It also generally means getting politicians out of the loop. These decisions should be made, by sorry to tell you, domain level experts. People who depend on scientific facts to make decisions on how to regulate on a drug by drug basis.
So the folks that are addicted to crack cocaine, meth and PCB will still have to go to the corner dealer.
I think what was described is the expected approach, but I think all usage needs to be legal and even the nastiest products need to be accessible legally, though under medical care. Get'em off the worst stuff under care, ease off all addiction under care.

Unlicensed selling would remain illegal. Tough sentences.
Trying to get people help is better than throwing them in jail. Getting them unhooked is one very tall order.
Definitely a tall order, but the only reasonable path...heck of a lot less costly than incarceration, not to mention the policing costs due to the drug gang violence. Also can reduce costs of petty theft, burglary, etc if drug addicts aren't desperate for a few dimes.
As any reasonable person would be, I am all for getting people off drugs and keeping them out of prison. I totally agree it is a huge task and as such, I’m not sure about your claim that endeavor would be “a heck of a lot less costly....” Incarceration costs about 80 billion for the 2.3 million prisoners in the U.S. About 20 percent of those are in for various drug crimes. So, certainly legalizing marijuana use/possession would reduce that number and the related cost.

Yet, there are about 2 million heroine and cocaine users alone in the U.S. I wonder what the comparative costs would be due to the huge expansion of Methadone clinics, treatment facilities, medical personnel in the various related fields and so on, in order to comprehensively address the “medical care” issue you suggest. Rather than incarceration, I would fully support my tax dollars being used to help people overcome addictions and drug use, I’m just not sure the cost saving benefit is a valid argument.

To your final point, there should be some reduced costs from theft, bmv’s, and robberies, which I guess you’d identify as an etc. However, as C&S pointed out, addictions are hard to kick and there will still be addicts that want the high heroin gives them that Methadone doesn’t. DWI is illegal yet how many still get drunk and drive.

Not sure if this has been mentioned previously but Oregon is moving in that direction by decriminalizing hard drugs. Much like Colorado with marijuana, others will certainly be watching how this develops.

https://www.kgw.com/article/news/local/ ... 194b2cd0ff
The DWI metaphor is problematic because a DWI is performing an act under increased, negligent risk, after using a substance. Comparing that to simply using a substance and doing nothing else doesn’t work. This is where the left has hurt their general cause in the general argument that social costs have to be born by the consumer. This allows the right to be ultra tough on crime and score cheap short term political points making the case that there are social costs to drug consumption in and of itself, absent any other actions while on the drugs. It’s circular though because it’s only a violation because we made one in codified law, not because we can directly connect use by itself to other social costs.

More importantly, we’re using number to talk about American citizens, no different than you or I. Unless we believe that there should be absolutely no safety net for any fellow citizen it’s hard to reduce this to a cost/benefit without fully valuing the cost of letting a citizen fall through the cracks of existence and live unlike other American citizens.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

jhu72 wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:06 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:20 pm Andy Cuomo back in the crosshairs. Not for covering up nursing home deaths and threatening lawmakers this time. But for sexual assault:

https://www.aol.com/news/former-cuomo-a ... 03732.html
A former aide to Gov. Cuomo detailed a pattern of sexual harassment in an essay Wednesday, alleging the governor would “go out of his way” to touch her and once kissed her during a one-on-one meeting.

Lindsey Boylan, the former deputy secretary for economic development and special adviser to the governor, outlines a beyond toxic work environment in which top female aides “normalized” their boss’ behavior and she was told by staffers that Cuomo had a “crush” on her.

Boylan backs up her claims against the governor with screenshots of emails and texts.

Boylan says she first began to “truly fear” Cuomo in 2016 when she was invited to his office in Albany during a holiday celebration. She says she called her husband and texted her mother as she was summoned to the executive chamber after successfully avoiding the governor at a gathering.

The pair were alone as Cuomo gave Boylan a tour of the office.

“As he showed me around, I tried to maintain my distance,” she writes. “He paused at one point and smirked as he showed off a cigar box. He told me that President Clinton had given it to him while he served as the Secretary of Housing and Urban Development.

“The two-decade-old reference to President Clinton’s affair with Monica Lewinsky was not lost on me,” she adds.
“Governor Andrew Cuomo has created a culture within his administration where sexual harassment and bullying is so pervasive that it is not only condoned but expected,” Boylan wrote. “His inappropriate behavior toward women was an affirmation that he liked you, that you must be doing something right.

“He used intimidation to silence his critics. And if you dared to speak up, you would face consequences,” she added.
.. even with denial from aids, I suspect more evidence will come out. The accuser seems credible at first blush. Democrats are not going to save him. He doesn't have that many friends among the Ds.
By most accounts he was a dbag at Albany Academy.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:37 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:20 pm Andy Cuomo back in the crosshairs. Not for covering up nursing home deaths and threatening lawmakers this time. But for sexual assault:

A former aide to Gov. Cuomo detailed a pattern of sexual harassment in an essay Wednesday, alleging the governor would “go out of his way” to touch her and once kissed her during a one-on-one meeting.

Lindsey Boylan, the former deputy secretary for economic development and special adviser to the governor, outlines a beyond toxic work environment in which top female aides “normalized” their boss’ behavior and she was told by staffers that Cuomo had a “crush” on her.

Boylan backs up her claims against the governor with screenshots of emails and texts.

Boylan says she first began to “truly fear” Cuomo in 2016 when she was invited to his office in Albany during a holiday celebration. She says she called her husband and texted her mother as she was summoned to the executive chamber after successfully avoiding the governor at a gathering.

“As he showed me around, I tried to maintain my distance,” she writes. “He paused at one point and smirked as he showed off a cigar box. He told me that President Clinton had given it to him while he served as the Secretary of Housing and Urban Development.

“The two-decade-old reference to President Clinton’s affair with Monica Lewinsky was not lost on me,” she adds.
“Governor Andrew Cuomo has created a culture within his administration where sexual harassment and bullying is so pervasive that it is not only condoned but expected,” Boylan wrote. “His inappropriate behavior toward women was an affirmation that he liked you, that you must be doing something right.

“He used intimidation to silence his critics. And if you dared to speak up, you would face consequences,” she added.
.. even with denial from aids, I suspect more evidence will come out. The accuser seems credible at first blush. Democrats are not going to save him. He doesn't have that many friends among the Ds.
I have predicted all along that Tish James will be the next governor of NY. The King needs to abdicate his throne. Tish is a liberal as they come. She has something the King never had..integrity.
Bob Ross:
njbill

Post by njbill »

I don’t care what her political aspirations are as long as she remains focused on job 1: putting T**** in jail.

After that, she can turn her attention to cradle’s best friend.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

njbill wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:47 pm I don’t care what her political aspirations are as long as she remains focused on job 1: putting T**** in jail.

After that, she can turn her attention to cradle’s best friend.
Even if she becomes the next governor of NYS, which I think she will, she relishes her opportunity to carve up the dumpster like a Thanksgiving turkey. With her it's personal.. and business, to paraphrase the dumpster.
Bob Ross:
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

kramerica.inc wrote: ↑Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:20 pm
Andy Cuomo back in the crosshairs. Not for covering up nursing home deaths and threatening lawmakers this time. But for sexual assault:

Wouldn't surprise me in the least if Dems force him out of office like they did with Al Franken. This because they have higher standards of conduct and accountability than do the repukies who have far more charges of misconduct against them but who never leave office.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

You might want to check your rumor mill. Andy had long graduated from high school by the time his father was NY governor. Chris was the Cuomo who went to AA.

I can vouch for Andy being a dbag in his teens though. At the time the Cuomos lived on Pompeii Ave in Jamaica, Queens and my future brother-in-law lived in a condo directly across from the Cuomo driveway. Lots of instances where Andy was getting into trouble.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Yes I just asked a friend who went there and it was Chris. Friends who went there are around 47-48.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:18 pm Yes I just asked a friend who went there and it was Chris. Friends who went there are around 47-48.
Did they feel that way about Chris?
He doesn't seem to have the same sort of personality as his brother, but hard to know.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:37 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:18 pm Yes I just asked a friend who went there and it was Chris. Friends who went there are around 47-48.
He doesn't seem to have the same sort of personality as his brother, but hard to know.
They both thought Chris was a douche. Had Andrew in my head. Basically they refer to the whole family as god complex, megalomaniacs. (one I worked with for around 6yr and another who was that guys best friend)

It is hard to know. Proof you never know: Bill Cosby
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

cradleandshoot wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:42 pm

I have predicted all along that Tish James will be the next governor of NY. The King needs to abdicate his throne. Tish is a liberal as they come. She has something the King never had..integrity.
I don't regularly watch Chris Cuomo on TV.
Is Fredo covering all this hooplah about his brother?
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:31 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:37 pm
They both thought Chris was a douche. Had Andrew in my head. Basically they refer to the whole family as god complex, megalomaniacs. (one I worked with for around 6yr and another who was that guys best friend)

It is hard to know. Proof you never know: Bill Cosby
Big difference, Bill Cosby always portrayed a public persona of being a good guy. King Andy has always presented himself as an arrogant, condescending, self absorbed pile of excrement. I read somewhere back that when the king was walking anywhere with his peeps some kind soul in the group would always open the door for his majesty. They didn't want him to get germs on his precious little fingers. I hope that on his way out of the building he doesn't let the door hit him in the ass.
Bob Ross:
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Found the answer to my own question:

https://www.businessinsider.com/video-c ... ons-2021-3

Chris seems to have a very similar personality as Andrew. But the Fredo incident in the restaurant was quite telling.
Last edited by kramerica.inc on Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

kramerica.inc wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:43 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:42 pm

I don't regularly watch Chris Cuomo on TV.
Is Fredo covering all this hooplah about his brother?
I don't know what Fredo has said about his brother. He should be embarrassed as hell that the pervert is even related to him.
Bob Ross:

Return to “POLITICS”