Johns Hopkins 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
jhu06

Re: Johns Hopkins 2021

Post by jhu06 »

when you have as many stupid turnovers and dumb plays as our offense has presented osu/michigan a team might not want to run but they're offered a lot of juicy opportunities.

michigan football players generated an average of $550k a player pre corona. the cost of a michigan education is about $70k a year. booker corrigans miaa videos feel like they're higher quality. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTU3Qbvk7Ck

so far darby glassmeyer jaronski and prouty have dropped and according to some of you mcmanus from roles they had last year. Question of if zinn is next. still no reason williams in year 5 is not making plays on a consistent possession to possession basis.

maybe someone can explain who kirsons heir apparent is.

I agree w/you on the injury stuff, although I feel like we've lost more guys in practice and fall ball than games.

of the names milliman mentioned in the hop sports and il comments previewing the season chauvette, mcdermott, ince, martin and smith have not really factored in. I thought I saw ince and martin in there yesterday midway through the second but I could be wrong. chauvette I understand given the success of the attack. thats a nice level of young talented depth if they are as good as he thinks.

orioles open play in florida this week w/1800 fans. it's still banned in baltimore, but madison square garden is now open.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

- Michigan certainly has issues but they also have some real talent on offense. Limiting any D1 program to 7 goals in this era of lacrosse is not nothing. Did you see some of the scores posted yesterday? Pretty much anything in the single digits is a win no matter who you play

- Zinn was bumped from first to second midfield yesterday. At this point he's just in his own head. Maybe the reduced role will take some pressure off

- Kirson's successor could be Marcille or it could be someone not yet on the roster. As mentioned he's eligible next year as well. Assuming he retains the job, then in 2023 we could be looking at Marcille (will be a senior, but junior eligible), Webb (sophomore), and a freshman, barring any transfers in/out

- Ince and Martin did not play. The only surprise as far as I know was Jaronski out there as an SSDM. Thought he looked ok. This is a kid who played pole in high school and then would switch to a short stick to play offense.

- It's pretty clear at this point that it's going to take a lot for the freshmen to see the field early on. The staff must not think they're ready for D1 action having not had senior high school seasons nor much of a college preseason. Grimes is Grimes but the fact that Deans is out there and contributing means he must have really shown something. Or we're just that desperate for LSM play—either way he's done a decent job

- I was wrong about the FOGOs—Narewski is definitely the guy now. I still think Prouty can offer more than what he's shown so far this season and would expect him to chip away as the year goes on

- As a middie Williams is inevitably going to touch the ball less than he's used to. He's at best the third option now behind Epstein and DeSimone, probably #4 behind Angelus if we're being honest. Very different situation from last year when he was forced to be the primary initiator. I like him in this role where he can pick his spots. If a guy like Cole is your 3rd/4th option on offense then you might have something

- Still no Glassmeyer. It was hard to tell from the broadcast but I spotted maybe about three or four Jays in street clothes, one of whom we know is Fernandez. Someone tall is in a boot—Calnan or Rodgers would be my guess
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Hello Hop friends....it's GAME WEEK!

Things I'd like to know from my Hop friends:
1) Who covers Bernhardt and how do you think Milliman schemes for him? Slide early? Follow Petro's plan (he seemed to have figured out MD's offense)? Bernhardt has also been a terror on the ride.
2) Double-pole MD's 1st midfield? Fairman hasn't scored much but he requires a lot of attention. Long has abused short-sticks, and DeMaio has scored at least a goal in like 21 straight games. Maltz in the crease hasn't show much dodging, but he hasn't had to. He's like Clay Thompson in the NBA. Clay can score 30 points and only take 8 dribbles. Maltz can score 5 goals and only take 2 cradles.
3) Can Hop contain Maryland's transition? The Terps like to run and like to go in early offense. The shot clock hasn't been an issue so far this season.
4) How will Hop's rope unit hold up? The Terps will invert Long, DeMaio, and Fairman with Bernhardt and Wisnauskas moving up field. They'll play big-little games to get shorties matched-up on Bernhardt and Wisnauskas (credit to Benson, here, I think, as the Terps weren't this effective at getting those match-ups over the last couple of years).

Questions I have on the Maryland side:
1) Who covers Epstein? Makar tends to take the opponent's QB (Mack for Michigan, Malone for PSU) and Grill tends to take the opponent's best shooter (Buckanavage for Michigan, O'Keefe for PSU). Against Michigan, Grill technically bumped up to the LSM and Geppert bumped down to close. Will Grill bump up when Williams is in? Epstein can be a shooter or a feeder. With DeSimone becoming a good facilitator, does he draw Makar?
2) Will Maryland have to slide to support their shorties? So far, they haven't, even when switched onto attackmen. Williams will be a real interesting match-up. If Puglise/Higgins or Smith/Coffman can contain Williams and free up a LSM (Geppert or Sherrer) to knock down passes and support off of Epstein, that's ideal. The SSDMs have been the story, IMO, for the Terps through 2 games.
3) Will poor face-off play finally hurt the Terps? It hasn't so far because of how good the defense has been, but that seems like playing with fire.

Gotta love Hop-MD!!!!
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

I think for Zinn at .157 career shooting the previous two season and currently at 0% on this season it’s time to consider him for ssdm duty. He’s big and athletic enough for the role and it’s pretty clear that he’s not helping on the O side of the field. Have him play wing on faceoffs and ssdm.
jhu08

Post by jhu08 »

flalax22 wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:55 am I think for Zinn at .157 career shooting the previous two season and currently at 0% on this season it’s time to consider him for ssdm duty. He’s big and athletic enough for the role and it’s pretty clear that he’s not helping on the O side of the field. Have him play wing on faceoffs and ssdm.
As good as he looked at times at the end of 2019, I’d definitely say that he’s been the disappointment of 2020 and the first couple of 2021 games to me. It feels like he’s capable of so much more than what we’ve been seeing lately.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

jhu08 wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:44 pm
flalax22 wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:55 am I think for Zinn at .157 career shooting the previous two season and currently at 0% on this season it’s time to consider him for ssdm duty. He’s big and athletic enough for the role and it’s pretty clear that he’s not helping on the O side of the field. Have him play wing on faceoffs and ssdm.
As good as he looked at times at the end of 2019, I’d definitely say that he’s been the disappointment of 2020 and the first couple of 2021 games to me. It feels like he’s capable of so much more than what we’ve been seeing lately.
It does feel like he is however he’s 24 games into his career.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

It’s not that simple moving to SSDM. Hopefully he works his way through some confidence issues. I have always thought that his ability to create for other people was underrated. I thought it was his strength. SSDM is a brutal position to learn late in a college career. I see Dearth at Syracuse switched to SSDM....I always felt that he could be effective there. Hopkins will be fine either way.
“I wish you would!”
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Wheels wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:21 am Hello Hop friends....it's GAME WEEK!

1) Who covers Bernhardt and how do you think Milliman schemes for him? Slide early? Follow Petro's plan (he seemed to have figured out MD's offense)? Bernhardt has also been a terror on the ride.
2) Double-pole MD's 1st midfield? Fairman hasn't scored much but he requires a lot of attention. Long has abused short-sticks, and DeMaio has scored at least a goal in like 21 straight games. Maltz in the crease hasn't show much dodging, but he hasn't had to. He's like Clay Thompson in the NBA. Clay can score 30 points and only take 8 dribbles. Maltz can score 5 goals and only take 2 cradles.
3) Can Hop contain Maryland's transition? The Terps like to run and like to go in early offense. The shot clock hasn't been an issue so far this season.
4) How will Hop's rope unit hold up? The Terps will invert Long, DeMaio, and Fairman with Bernhardt and Wisnauskas moving up field. They'll play big-little games to get shorties matched-up on Bernhardt and Wisnauskas (credit to Benson, here, I think, as the Terps weren't this effective at getting those match-ups over the last couple of years).

1) Who covers Epstein? Makar tends to take the opponent's QB (Mack for Michigan, Malone for PSU) and Grill tends to take the opponent's best shooter (Buckanavage for Michigan, O'Keefe for PSU). Against Michigan, Grill technically bumped up to the LSM and Geppert bumped down to close. Will Grill bump up when Williams is in? Epstein can be a shooter or a feeder. With DeSimone becoming a good facilitator, does he draw Makar?
2) Will Maryland have to slide to support their shorties? So far, they haven't, even when switched onto attackmen. Williams will be a real interesting match-up. If Puglise/Higgins or Smith/Coffman can contain Williams and free up a LSM (Geppert or Sherrer) to knock down passes and support off of Epstein, that's ideal. The SSDMs have been the story, IMO, for the Terps through 2 games.
3) Will poor face-off play finally hurt the Terps? It hasn't so far because of how good the defense has been, but that seems like playing with fire.

Gotta love Hop-MD!!!!
My guess is we see Szuluk on Bernhardt the most. He blanketed Zawada yesterday. But so far the Jays defense hasn't been super strict about maintaining matchups. Could be a committee approach. Jays could miss Pat Foley in this one as he used to do a good job against Bernhardt. Never totally neutralized him but kept him from having those blowup games which will be essential if we stand a chance this time.

Don't know the Maryland personnel well enough to say who will cover Epstein/Williams/DeSimone but it'd be hilarious if Geppert gets any time on Epstein as the two were high school teammates (on offense) at Landon. I bet Geppert never imagined there'd be a chance he'd have to cover Epstein in college.

I don't doubt your SSDMs have played well so far but you can't really put a shortie on Williams without sliding to him. He's been the most successful in his career exploiting a mismatch to get to the middle of the field when the help defense is either late or nonexistent. If you expect to send a shortie out onto an island to cover him with no help you're not gonna have a fun day but he can be limited with quick doubles or a strong LSM. I'd be very surprised if Tillman doesn't pole Williams.

Hop's FOGOs have been decent so far but nothing special. I'd expect faceoffs to be roughly even.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

HopFan16 wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:12 pm

My guess is we see Szuluk on Bernhardt the most. He blanketed Zawada yesterday. But so far the Jays defense hasn't been super strict about maintaining matchups. Could be a committee approach. Jays could miss Pat Foley in this one as he used to do a good job against Bernhardt. Never totally neutralized him but kept him from having those blowup games which will be essential if we stand a chance this time.

Don't know the Maryland personnel well enough to say who will cover Epstein/Williams/DeSimone but it'd be hilarious if Geppert gets any time on Epstein as the two were high school teammates (on offense) at Landon. I bet Geppert never imagined there'd be a chance he'd have to cover Epstein in college.

I don't doubt your SSDMs have played well so far but you can't really put a shortie on Williams without sliding to him. He's been the most successful in his career exploiting a mismatch to get to the middle of the field when the help defense is either late or nonexistent. If you expect to send a shortie out onto an island to cover him with no help you're not gonna have a fun day but he can be limited with quick doubles or a strong LSM. I'd be very surprised if Tillman doesn't pole Williams.

Hop's FOGOs have been decent so far but nothing special. I'd expect faceoffs to be roughly even.
So DeSimone, then, becomes the really interesting match-up. Through 2 games, Maryland seems content with giving up scoring opportunities to threats C and D. Against Michigan, they clearly identified Mack and Buckanavage as the players who make that offense go. They were okay with Zawada getting 4 goals. Against PSU, Malone and O'Keefe were the focal points while letting everyone else try to get things going. Grill has held Buckanavage and O'Keefe to a combined 1 goal on 11 shots while picking up 10 GBs and forcing 5 TOs. Makar has held Mack and Malone to a combined 1 goal and 1 assist on 11 shots while picking up 6 GBs and causing 2 TOs.

Where Maryland deploys Makar and Grill will probably tell you who they think are players that make Hop's offense go. So if Grill bumps up to Williams and Makar stays on Epstein, that will tell you what you need to know. If Grill takes Epstein and Makar takes DeSimone, that tells you what you need to know. TBH, it wouldn't surprise me to see Puglise or Higgins as shorties cover Williams because they're both really good at using leverage. Not so sure the LSMs play with that kind of leverage and wouldn't be surprised to see an LSM down on Grimes at times. The height disparity between Williams and Grill would make for good TV commentary, though.

Under the previous staff, Hop used to like to send middies dodging down the alley. Maryland's defense structurally is designed to stop that. Wing dodges tend to cause more trouble, hence Williams has had some success inverting in the past against Maryland and dodging more from GLE and the wings. He's not going to run past anyone. He's going to use his strength to back people down.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Still seems like a longshot after the OSU game followed by OSU getting violated by Rutgers, but I have to think the StonyBrook loss effectively takes the AE off the map for a second bid which is good for BigTen, PL, ACC. Looking like the PL may be good for a second. Would be interesting if a GTown slipped 1-2x and they or Denver was up against a very strong second team from the PL from Army/Navy/Lehigh.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Wheels wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:10 pm TBH, it wouldn't surprise me to see Puglise or Higgins as shorties cover Williams because they're both really good at using leverage. Not so sure the LSMs play with that kind of leverage and wouldn't be surprised to see an LSM down on Grimes at times.
Grimes is not much of a threat to dodge at this stage. It'd be silly to pole him while leaving a shortie out on Williams. You need to get a stick in his mitts otherwise he will not be bothered and will run through checks. When Williams is on the field I assume he, Epstein, DeSimone, and maybe Angelus get poled while Grimes and whoever the third middie is (was Keogh last game) get shorties. You can short Angelus instead of Grimes but that didn't work out for Michigan yesterday as Angelus had a ton of success creating separation for easy feeds. Then again, Maryland will be a lot better defending that backside cut than Michigan was. Jays scored like 5 times on the exact same play. Terps will be prepared for it.

In terms of who makes the offense "go" it sure looks like DeSimone is the straw that stirs the drink while Epstein is more of a shooter right now but they are both versatile enough to change roles.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Blue Jays will need to do the basic things to limit Maryland’s offensive opportunities ... win their share of faceoffs, try to stay close on ground balls, limit turnovers, and make clears ... all things with which Hopkins has struggled at times.

Do all that and play good team defense and offense and just maybe the Blue Jays will stay competitive with a chance to win in the fourth quarter.

Beating Maryland next weekend is a huge ask ... but Hopkins has the talent to be competitive with the Terps.

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

HopFan16 wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:40 pm
Wheels wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:10 pm TBH, it wouldn't surprise me to see Puglise or Higgins as shorties cover Williams because they're both really good at using leverage. Not so sure the LSMs play with that kind of leverage and wouldn't be surprised to see an LSM down on Grimes at times.
Grimes is not much of a threat to dodge at this stage. It'd be silly to pole him while leaving a shortie out on Williams. You need to get a stick in his mitts otherwise he will not be bothered and will run through checks. When Williams is on the field I assume he, Epstein, DeSimone, and maybe Angelus get poled while Grimes and whoever the third middie is (was Keogh last game) get shorties. You can short Angelus instead of Grimes but that didn't work out for Michigan yesterday as Angelus had a ton of success creating separation for easy feeds. Then again, Maryland will be a lot better defending that backside cut than Michigan was. Jays scored like 5 times on the exact same play. Terps will be prepared for it.

In terms of who makes the offense "go" it sure looks like DeSimone is the straw that stirs the drink while Epstein is more of a shooter right now but they are both versatile enough to change roles.
Epstein is doing mostly off-ball work in JGJr’s motion offense. However, he tried his patented dodges behind the net a couple of times yesterday and his wheels look good. I don’t think there is a physical issue there anymore ... just don’t need Epstein dodging as much when his teammates are able to get him the ball for a high-quality shot.

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

HopFan16 wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:40 pm Grimes is not much of a threat to dodge at this stage. It'd be silly to pole him while leaving a shortie out on Williams. You need to get a stick in his mitts otherwise he will not be bothered and will run through checks. When Williams is on the field I assume he, Epstein, DeSimone, and maybe Angelus get poled while Grimes and whoever the third middie is (was Keogh last game) get shorties. You can short Angelus instead of Grimes but that didn't work out for Michigan yesterday as Angelus had a ton of success creating separation for easy feeds. Then again, Maryland will be a lot better defending that backside cut than Michigan was. Jays scored like 5 times on the exact same play. Terps will be prepared for it.

Good stuff. Thanks!

Going to be so interesting to see the match-ups.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

DocBarrister wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:50 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:40 pm

Epstein is doing mostly off-ball work in JGJr’s motion offense. However, he tried his patented dodges behind the net a couple of times yesterday and his wheels look good. I don’t think there is a physical issue there anymore ... just don’t need Epstein dodging as much when his teammates are able to get him the ball for a high-quality shot.

DocBarrister 8-)
I disagree I think he still lacks the explosiveness he had his first year dodging form X. If he however continues to shoot lasers off ball who cares.
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:09 pm
It’s not that simple moving to SSDM. Hopefully he works his way through some confidence issues. I have always thought that his ability to create for other people was underrated. I thought it was his strength. SSDM is a brutal position to learn late in a college career. I see Dearth at Syracuse switched to SSDM....I always felt that he could be effective there. Hopkins will be fine either way.
As a freshman, Zinn got sone run at SSDM. It did not go well. Footwork is key and not something that can be acquired easily. Like you say, it is a difficult position to learn late in your college career. Zinn might be best at this point in an off-ball role, similar to Degnon. He hasn’t taken that next step as an initiator, so let’s try something different.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

primitiveskills wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:34 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:09 pm
As a freshman, Zinn got sone run at SSDM. It did not go well. Footwork is key and not something that can be acquired easily. Like you say, it is a difficult position to learn late in your college career. Zinn might be best at this point in an off-ball role, similar to Degnon. He hasn’t taken that next step as an initiator, so let’s try something different.
Yes. I am hoping it comes together.
“I wish you would!”
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

Wheels wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:21 am Hello Hop friends....it's GAME WEEK!

Gotta love Hop-MD!!!!
I think #4 above is Hop's main problem in matching up with Maryland (who, by the way, looks like the best and most complete team in the B1G and maybe the country). Hopkins close D has looked pretty good, and the staff seems comfortable using Szuluk/McManus/ and Lyne interchangably, so I wouldn't be surprised to see Szuluk and Lyne on Bernhardt at different points. Bigger issue has been rope unit play (though LSM play wa definitely better against Michigan). Thinking about Hop's SSDMs on Fairman, DeMaio, and Long makes my head hurt. Could be a breakout game for Fairman.

Koesterer's D looks very different than Petro's so I wouldn't expect see the same as the past few years. I think the past few meetings were a combination of good D and Maryland shooting itself in the foot with unforced TOs. There seems to be little early sliding; when slides come they are aggressive and intended to create double teams. SSDMs are left more on an island. Bringing us back to the point above. This is the biggest mismatch in this game.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

-my full expectation is a duke may level pounding, this should be maryland at its zenith and us at our nadir although testudo has been the one top program we haven't been murdered by since Rabil graduated.
-was looking for the 2004 story Hop magazine did on the game in may my soph year. was a wonderful night, instead found the si story on the game. Some nice stuff in there w/cowan talking about a song they used to sing in the lockerroom before the game that would probably make the SJW heads explode today. Not sure when SI stopped covering lacrosse, but it sounds like for a very very long time they used to do a story a year from homewood.
-I think there will be fans in the stands for orioles opening day and it's time for the school to engage baltimore city hall to ensure that parents of our student athletes are able to attend the april home slate and that last year and this years srs get a sr day w/the parentals at homewood.
molo

Post by molo »

In light of all the complaints about poor fan attendance, it may be possible to open the stadium to the public and still maintain social distancing. Much to the chagrin of the governor, I'll be getting a vaccine Wednesday. Here's hoping to see some live games this year!

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”