Johns Hopkins 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
HopFan16

Re: Johns Hopkins 2021

Post by HopFan16 »

nyjay wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:30 am I'm not entirely sure what JGJR's plan is - I have no idea if he wants to be a college coordinator long term. Seems to me that he could go and do any number of things in the sport and don't include being a college assistant.
Thought I read somewhere he hopes to become a head coach at some point. He moved his wife and young daughter from Colorado to Baltimore for this job so my guess is he plans to be here at least awhile.

Game notes https://hopkinssports.com/news/2021/2/2 ... notes.aspx
jhu08

Post by jhu08 »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:28 am
Thought I read somewhere he hopes to become a head coach at some point. He moved his wife and young daughter from Colorado to Baltimore for this job so my guess is he plans to be here at least awhile.
Counterpoint:

If he does desire to eventually be a head coach somewhere, I imagine there are way more opportunities for that in and around Baltimore than there are in Colorado. There are opportunities that could arise that would not require another major relocation.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

out of left field mention of Szuluk in the game notes - doubt it means anything, but weird.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

FWIW, for those apparently just tuning in, probably for reasons of schadenfreude: discussions of how long the DC and then the OC would stay took place last year, pretty much just as soon as they were hired. This is NOT a point that was brought up brand new after just one game.

We will see. But for now, Michigan.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

Apologies for the distraction. Happy to go back to arguing about Bobby Benson. Just seems to me that Grant could be a wildcard.
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

courtdog wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:13 am
jhu08 wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:16 am
courtdog wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:48 am
jhu08 wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:12 pm
nyjay wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:01 pm I'm hoping for three years out of this staff. But of course, if we only get two, that's probably because things went pretty well.
Which assistant are you most worried about as the first/most likely potential defector?
What planet are both of you on?
I'm on a different planet for asking who he's worried about? - making no statement on whether I personally think there's a risk of anyone leaving. It's almost as if trying to understand someone's perspective on an issue is a good way to learn things / consider new possibilities that you hadn't thought of before.

You seem like you're a fun person to deal with.
I just find it comical that after 1 game in which the team lost and neither side of the ball played well you guys are worried about assistants being taken to be HC's. I get where Desimone is coming from by liking a "player's coach" but isn't the coaches job to make the ENTIRE TEAM better and focus on the collective group to achieve success rather than just a few guys getting better individually?
Context is important here. These are comments from a player that was made to sacrifice the strengths of his game for several years, theoretically in the interest of the whole offense, but in reality probably in detriment to the whole offense. Focus on individual skills and development is not necessarily in opposition to making the entire team better. Conversely, ignoring individual skills and development will almost certainly make the whole worse.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

barring injury
notable names missing from last week
smith, szulak, jaronksi, glassmeyer, we know the darby story, hawley. They seem to see bigger things for brandon shure and dipietro.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:34 pm barring injury
notable names missing from last week
smith, szulak, jaronksi, glassmeyer, we know the darby story, hawley. They seem to see bigger things for brandon shure and dipietro.
Shure played reasonably well last week in his first game as an SSDM. He got burned for one goal but held his own on a couple of other dodges. Should have had a CT too but of course we couldn't pick it up. We might have something there.

Still would like to see one of the younger guys give it a go soon. It's an interesting conundrum...would you rather have a freshman who has lots of SSDM experience in high school, but no college experience of any kind, or a defenseman who has been in college for awhile but has very little actual experience at the SSDM position. So far at least the staff clearly prefers the latter group but that may have been forced by the abbreviated preseason.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

primitiveskills wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:32 pm
nyjay wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:01 pm I'm hoping for three years out of this staff. But of course, if we only get two, that's probably because things went pretty well.
Which assistant are you most worried about as the first/most likely potential defector?
I'm on a different planet for asking who he's worried about? - making no statement on whether I personally think there's a risk of anyone leaving. It's almost as if trying to understand someone's perspective on an issue is a good way to learn things / consider new possibilities that you hadn't thought of before.

I just find it comical that after 1 game in which the team lost and neither side of the ball played well you guys are worried about assistants being taken to be HC's. I get where Desimone is coming from by liking a "player's coach" but isn't the coaches job to make the ENTIRE TEAM better and focus on the collective group to achieve success rather than just a few guys getting better individually?
Context is important here. These are comments from a player that was made to sacrifice the strengths of his game for several years, theoretically in the interest of the whole offense, but in reality probably in detriment to the whole offense. Focus on individual skills and development is not necessarily in opposition to making the entire team better. Conversely, ignoring individual skills and development will almost certainly make the whole worse.
i'm not sure we know he sacrificed anything more than an opportunity to compete 100% for another position. which may not have gone his way.
the carrot was pt.
primitiveskills

wgdsr wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:45 pm

i'm not sure we know he sacrificed anything more than an opportunity to compete 100% for another position. which may not have gone his way.
the carrot was pt.
Perhaps. It should be said though that it was obvious to alot of people in the lax world that the strongest part of his game was quickness and creativity from X. Yet he spent his first 3 years here either dodging from up top or ball-carrying to the end of chewing up shot clock. This didn't help the team and apparently didn't help Deso's development either.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

primitiveskills wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:20 pm
wgdsr wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:45 pm

the carrot was pt.
Perhaps. It should be said though that it was obvious to alot of people in the lax world that the strongest part of his game was quickness and creativity from X. Yet he spent his first 3 years here either dodging from up top or ball-carrying to the end of chewing up shot clock. This didn't help the team and apparently didn't help Deso's development either.
after showing a decent amount from that first year, then there wasn't much to see.
and williams was a hop darling, remember?
great opening gambit from him. looks good so far.
Mr. F

Post by Mr. F »

Anyone watching the UMD PSU game? Gotta say I think we played with more heart last week than PSU is rn if that means anything. I think if we improve week by week we could be really solid in the big ten. Because if there’s one thing we aren’t lacking it’s effort and the drive to improve.
primitiveskills

Mr. F wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:22 pm Anyone watching the UMD PSU game? Gotta say I think we played with more heart last week than PSU is rn if that means anything. I think if we improve week by week we could be really solid in the big ten. Because if there’s one thing we aren’t lacking it’s effort and the drive to improve.
PSU misses Ament in a big way. O'Keefe is a great shooter but needs someone to get him the ball.
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

primitiveskills wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:25 pm
Mr. F wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:22 pm Anyone watching the UMD PSU game? Gotta say I think we played with more heart last week than PSU is rn if that means anything. I think if we improve week by week we could be really solid in the big ten. Because if there’s one thing we aren’t lacking it’s effort and the drive to improve.
PSU misses Ament in a big way. O'Keefe is a great shooter but needs someone to get him the ball.
Agreed. O’Keefe reminds me of a former Hopkins sniper who didn’t have the ability to make his own shot. Kyle Wharton was the ultimate time and room shooter who could rip nets with 100mph shots, but was not so fleet of foot.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:02 pm
This is the first thing that pops up on my Instagram feed this morning, then the next thing I think of is Wombat needs to see this. :lol: https://www.instagram.com/p/CLypGMlnANK/
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

Any score predictions? Jays 12-8
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Think it might be a bit more high scoring. Neither defense looked like they could stop much last week. I'll go 14-11.

Weather at gametime will be 44 and sunny. Not bad for Ann Arbor in February.

Go Jays.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

youthathletics wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:34 am
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:02 pm
This is the first thing that pops up on my Instagram feed this morning, then the next thing I think of is Wombat needs to see this. :lol: https://www.instagram.com/p/CLypGMlnANK/
Cute little bugger. Thanks!
jhu08

Post by jhu08 »

Darby starting in goal. (Nevermind, it’s Kirson. Announcer said wrong name. I finally saw the number on his jersey)

UM 1-0 early
Last edited by jhu08 on Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

jhu08 wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:04 pm Darby starting in goal.

UM 1-0 early
uh oh. look out below.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”