Tuesday 2pm ACCNetwork

@HPUMensLax
at
@UNCMensLacrosse

Tuesday is for the Hunter.
maddog9718

Re: UNC 2021

Post by maddog9718 »

Fortunate to get the W against HPU, who def brought the energy. Heels def weren’t as crisp as previous outings (clearing, turnovers).
TAV

Post by TAV »

maddog9718 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:03 pm Fortunate to get the W against HPU, who def brought the energy. Heels def weren’t as crisp as previous outings (clearing, turnovers).
True. With increasing parity, on any given day...I see the game as an opportunity to work on things and further refine. We know that the later half of the season will be a grind in the ACC. Closer than expected games early on can be good - keeps folks humble and hungry. I’ll be interested too see the second HPU game and the adjustments made and how they’re executed.
Boxster54

Post by Boxster54 »

This was a good win for the Heels against a solid HP team that should win lots of games this year. UNC needed a game like this early in the season. They needed to recognize nothing can be taken for granted and they need to show up ready to play out of the gate for every game as if they were playing the best teams. They certainly need to fix some things on the defense, but I think this UNC team will outscore their opponents and win more games like this. If they can continue to get the ball on FO's their offense will score. Possessions will be their defense. Looking forward to the Richmond game, should be another solid test and the first road game. Wonder if they are bussing that morning or spending the night in Richmond?
I hate Covid :x
10 10 2

Post by 10 10 2 »

Even though he is listed as starting in the box score, I'm pretty certain Evan Egan DNP against Richmond. Looks like recent BU transfer Collin Loughead filled in for him and did a pretty good job. Also good to see 3rd line midfielders Henry Schertzinger and Will Nicklaus get in and contribute goals.
TAV

Post by TAV »

Right now, my only real concern is the goalie play; ACC play is fast approaching. Saves per game has too increase...
maddog9718

Post by maddog9718 »

10 10 2 wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:57 pm Even though he is listed as starting in the box score, I'm pretty certain Evan Egan DNP against Richmond. Looks like recent BU transfer Collin Loughead filled in for him and did a pretty good job. Also good to see 3rd line midfielders Henry Schertzinger and Will Nicklaus get in and contribute goals.
I thought Matt Wright stood out too.
maddog9718

Post by maddog9718 »

UNC planning on bringing back (some) fans soon

https://twitter.com/BubbaUNC/status/1364662831992377348
Boxster54

Post by Boxster54 »

TAV wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:42 am Right now, my only real concern is the goalie play; ACC play is fast approaching. Saves per game has too increase...
Agreed. Currently saving at 47% which is low. 55% is more acceptable at this level. The days of 60% are long gone with the way offenses move and shoot the ball. Carolina will likely outscore their opponents this year to win games even if they are close, like the HPU game. As long as FO % remains high they should have sufficient possessions to score. I am somewhat surprised the preseason AA goalie #25 is not getting any time. Hard to imagine a freshman continues to earn the starts especially when the game numbers are not stellar. Guess the new kid performs better in practices and wants it more than the older guy...
Sportin' Life

Post by Sportin' Life »

This certainly seems to indicate that something is amiss with Caton Johnson: https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... rtal/57364.
Finish Strong
Boxster54

Post by Boxster54 »

well, guess we now know what's going on. Appears he lost the starting job and can't seem to win it back. Seems like a hostile threatening move to announce your transfer intentions mid-season. I doubt there are many options available for transferring now, especially during this environment. He sure is sending the wrong message to his teammates and the coaching staff, and probably future teams. Since he has already seen some game time he will lose a year of eligibility and likely not get much attention in practices or future games which limits his skills improvement and game experience.
What a waste of talent. Breschi could likely remove the distraction from the team so they remain focused and committed to achieving their goals. I think there is enough senior leadership on this team to make this a non-factor, plus the freshman goalie is playing well enough and likely to improve. I wonder if a similar scenario is playing out in Charlottesville? Duke has an ongoing goalie flip-flop underway...
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

the only place he could transfer to in-season would be a place that isn't already into classes, like denver with their tri-semester.

if i'm not mistaken, i don't think he loses a year of eligibility by already playing, he got that redshirt last year by the nc$$. for a 6th year he would've had to have taken a redshirt prior. if that's accurate, this is a year regardless.

rode's absence has all the hallmarks of covid. but i don't know if he dressed for loyola, which would contradict that.
getitdone

Post by getitdone »

I did hear that Rode was due to Covid plus some other matters. It is very disappointing that this happened in the early stages of the season. If I was a teammate, I would be pissed. Players get hurt, run into ruts, this tells me he has mentally checked out. Physically talented absolutely- mentally tough ??????

Lets Go Heels
molo

Post by molo »

I wouldn't sweat the transfer thing too much. Remember what happened in 2019 when a UVA goalie entered the portal in midseason? They went on to win the NC, and the goalie, who had started a couple of games, ended up at Penn
UNC fans should remember him. I think he gave up five goals in a quarter against the Heels that year.
Boxster54

Post by Boxster54 »

So he blows a year of eligibility because he saw some game time this year. He is a Jr academically but will have two years left to play since everyone got an extra year from last year. He looked great his freshman year and showed tons of potential, but dropped off a bit last year. The worst thing that probably happened to him was being named a pre-season AA. If you're not mentally tough and driven to compete and live up to your own expectations and those of your teammates and coaches then this is what happens. At the D1 level, every kid on the team is good and has the potential to play, especially in the ACC. PT is earned in practice and how you prepare. Nothing is given. The Heels will be fine, but it's sad to see he stopped developing into the player he could have been. I wish him luck, but it looks like he's not going to be wearing Carolina Blue next year, or possibly next weekend.
TAV

Post by TAV »

This entering the transfer portal during the season trend is disturbing. Back in the day, part of being on a team was making a commitment and that commitment was a season long commitment; now it’s all “them” and their “feelings”. In the real world, actions have consequences - Coach B should have a sit down and ask him point blank - do you want to be on this team or not - yes or no. And are you ready willing and able to put in 100% effort to help this TEAM get to where it wants to go? Either way is fine, just yes or no. If not, you have 30 minutes too pack your bags now. Simple enough. There’s no time too waste on such foolishness and the time spend on him could be spent with the other goalies who understand the concept of commitment and being on a team. No individual player is bigger than the team as a whole.
RumorMill

Post by RumorMill »

Note, I have absolutely no information or idea what’s going on with this situations. However, just an alternative perspective. Maybe he did have a long sit down with the coaching staff prior to entering the transfer portal. Maybe they told him, we love you, we want you on the team, but right now you’re not our #1 guy and the way things are going you won’t be next year either. I’m not saying they told him to enter the transfer portal, but who says they didn’t support his decision. Maybe he said something like… I’m here for you guys and the team, whatever you need me to do this season I’m ready to go… BUT, I would really love to be the #1 guy my senior (and potentially grad year) so I think I’m going to enter the portal now so other coaches and teams can add me to their potential scenario for next year. And in the meantime I’m going to work to get that #1 spot back.

I’m probably giving everyone too much credit and know that would be an optimistic view on the situation… but who knows.
Thor1

Post by Thor1 »

Enter the portal = get out of the locker room. I know there are a couple guys in portal for future seasons when they graduate from their current school. In any other case, once a player puts his name in the transfer portal he is no longer part of the team.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

RumorMill wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:38 am Note, I have absolutely no information or idea what’s going on with this situations. However, just an alternative perspective. Maybe he did have a long sit down with the coaching staff prior to entering the transfer portal. Maybe they told him, we love you, we want you on the team, but right now you’re not our #1 guy and the way things are going you won’t be next year either. I’m not saying they told him to enter the transfer portal, but who says they didn’t support his decision. Maybe he said something like… I’m here for you guys and the team, whatever you need me to do this season I’m ready to go… BUT, I would really love to be the #1 guy my senior (and potentially grad year) so I think I’m going to enter the portal now so other coaches and teams can add me to their potential scenario for next year. And in the meantime I’m going to work to get that #1 spot back.

I’m probably giving everyone too much credit and know that would be an optimistic view on the situation… but who knows.
agreed. we all tend to pop off on this now that this portal is out there. usually opinions formed are shaded by circumstances without knowing any detailed context.
there are transfer deadlines that sometimes don't square with end of season.
cormier was in the portal earlier this year. no worries now. burkinshaw contributed when called upon.

this thing as far as i know was never supposed to be public? but a couple people outside of coaches (media types, such as it is in lax) have been given access by somebody. that should be shut down. coaches knowing is enough.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

wgdsr wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:13 am
RumorMill wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:38 am Note, I have absolutely no information or idea what’s going on with this situations. However, just an alternative perspective. Maybe he did have a long sit down with the coaching staff prior to entering the transfer portal. Maybe they told him, we love you, we want you on the team, but right now you’re not our #1 guy and the way things are going you won’t be next year either. I’m not saying they told him to enter the transfer portal, but who says they didn’t support his decision. Maybe he said something like… I’m here for you guys and the team, whatever you need me to do this season I’m ready to go… BUT, I would really love to be the #1 guy my senior (and potentially grad year) so I think I’m going to enter the portal now so other coaches and teams can add me to their potential scenario for next year. And in the meantime I’m going to work to get that #1 spot back.

agreed. we all tend to pop off on this now that this portal is out there. usually opinions formed are shaded by circumstances without knowing any detailed context.
there are transfer deadlines that sometimes don't square with end of season.
cormier was in the portal earlier this year. no worries now. burkinshaw contributed when called upon.

this thing as far as i know was never supposed to be public? but a couple people outside of coaches (media types, such as it is in lax) have been given access by somebody. that should be shut down. coaches knowing is enough.
I was in strong agreement that we shouldn't be jumping to any conclusions, we simply don't know full context ...but I somewhat disagree on the transparency as to the fact of entry into the portal. I just think that whatever message a kid wants to send to coaches by entering (availability), may as well be publicly known (and facts are better than rumors)...want to avoid that "fact" message mid-season? Wait until end of season. Need to do this for some reason? live with it.

I also disagree (with another poster) that if you enter the portal you are necessarily "out of the locker room"...it's certainly possible that the team fully understands and appreciates a player's ongoing efforts as part of the team...or not, if it's not there...the team knows, not us.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”