Not sure this upcoming season will make any strides towards parity

D1 Womens Lacrosse
LaxDad23

Not sure this upcoming season will make any strides towards parity

Post by LaxDad23 »

Assuming this spring season happens... My guess is that it will favor teams with the best athletes (individuals) vs. team play -- at least for the first half of the season.

With too much time on my hands this week....
Looking at final IWLCA rankings from 2010 to 2020 and NCAA Tournament participation from 2010 to 2019
  • 118 Women's D1 programs
    Of those 118, 39 programs finished ranked (at least once) in the final IWLCA top 20/25 over the time period from 2010 to 2020 (top 20 from 2010 -- 2017, top 25 from 2018 on)
    Of those 39, 20 programs made it to the qtr finals (elite 8) at least once from 2010-2019
    Of those 20, 11 programs made it to the semi's (final 4) at least once*
    Of those 11, 6 programs made it to the championship game at least once**
    Of those 6, 4 programs have been champions at least once***
*BC, Duke, Florida, JMU, Maryland, Navy, UNC, Northwestern, Penn St., Syracuse, Virginia
**BC, JMU, Maryland, UNC, Northwestern, Syracuse
***JMU(1), Maryland(6), UNC(2), Northwestern(1)
Cletus

Re: Not sure this upcoming season will make any strides towards parity

Post by Cletus »

LaxDad23 wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:35 pm Assuming this spring season happens... My guess is that it will favor teams with the best athletes (individuals) vs. team play -- at least for the first half of the season.

With too much time on my hands this week....
Looking at final IWLCA rankings from 2010 to 2020 and NCAA Tournament participation from 2010 to 2019
  • 118 Women's D1 programs
    Of those 118, 39 programs finished ranked (at least once) in the final IWLCA top 20/25 over the time period from 2010 to 2020 (top 20 from 2010 -- 2017, top 25 from 2018 on)
    Of those 39, 20 programs made it to the qtr finals (elite 8) at least once from 2010-2019
    Of those 20, 11 programs made it to the semi's (final 4) at least once*
    Of those 11, 6 programs made it to the championship game at least once**
    Of those 6, 4 programs have been champions at least once***
*BC, Duke, Florida, JMU, Maryland, Navy, UNC, Northwestern, Penn St., Syracuse, Virginia
**BC, JMU, Maryland, UNC, Northwestern, Syracuse
***JMU(1), Maryland(6), UNC(2), Northwestern(1)
Good lot o' research there LaxDad. I think we can say we are getting closer and closer to parity during the regular season but I think it might be another little while before we see it in The Tournament. But who knows what will happen this year, with everyone's schedules so different from what they normally are. I wouldn't be surprised if we got a new team in the winners circle in the end. At this point it looks like UNC in a runaway, and that may well be the case in the end, but I won't be shocked if it's someone else, a team that just puts it all together at the right time.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

You must have enjoyed yesterday's results from the Big 10 if it's parity you seek, LaxDad. Good signs, (even if some of the disparity could be attributed to covid protocol and lack of practice time, etc).
LaxDad23

Post by LaxDad23 »

Cletus wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:48 am You must have enjoyed yesterday's results from the Big 10 if it's parity you seek, LaxDad. Good signs, (even if some of the disparity could be attributed to covid protocol and lack of practice time, etc).
Sure, I think a lot of the 'upsets' were due to this unique time. It will make weekly polls difficult to predict for teams ranked 6-25.

I am curious to see how this season unfolds, and will a 'Tampa Bay Bucs like' team emerge in the back half the season. One that is able to figure it out after a rough first half.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

LaxDad23 wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:35 pm I am curious to see how this season unfolds, and will a 'Tampa Bay Bucs like' team emerge in the back half the season. One that is able to figure it out after a rough first half.
That sounds interesting. Got any teams in mind?
LaxDad23

Post by LaxDad23 »

Cletus wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:58 am
LaxDad23 wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:35 pm I am curious to see how this season unfolds, and will a 'Tampa Bay Bucs like' team emerge in the back half the season. One that is able to figure it out after a rough first half.
That sounds interesting. Got any teams in mind?
Hard to say... there are a few teams in that next group that haven't played yet -- JMU, Denver. Maybe they will surprise in the way that some of the big 10 teams have. Thus far the inconsistent play feels like fall ball... teams practice in September, play 3-5 games in October. By mid-march, we should have all teams beyond that 5 game mark. One or two of these middle of the pack teams will emerge in mid-March. I hope more than one does.

It will be interesting to see if the teams that had a Fall ball, benefitted from free agency (returning 5th years and transfers), deep rosters will pull away from everyone else, or will team play and coaching close the gap.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

LaxDad23 wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:20 pm It will be interesting to see if the teams that had a Fall ball, benefitted from free agency (returning 5th years and transfers), deep rosters will pull away from everyone else, or will team play and coaching close the gap.
Good thing to keep an eye on as the season progresses...
Cletus

Towson 13 #8 Loyola 7

Post by Cletus »

Another game toward the case for parity.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Seems like with each passing day and all the "upsets" we are enjoying a season of parity. I don't know if parity is here to stay but many of the games aren't so predictable this year.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

Jacksonville over Florida.
Cletus

More striding...

Post by Cletus »

Ohio State knocking off Penn St is some good evidence of parity. I think Penn St is overrated but it was still an upset win yesterday. And Louisville pushing BC to overtime on the road was also good to see.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Ohio State sweeps #10 ranked Penn State
westcoastlax

Post by westcoastlax »

Arizona State beat both USC and Colorado this season. 7-2 to start the season.

They are much improved over last year.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

westcoastlax wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:57 pm Arizona State beat both USC and Colorado this season. 7-2 to start the season.

They are much improved over last year.
Another good one. Yes, they are a different team this year. Think they’ll make any noise in the PAC12 tournament?
watcherinthewoods

Post by watcherinthewoods »

Nice to see ASU make some noise. McCormick is a good coach and is clearly making an impact.

On a related topic, I watched USC vs. CU and ASU vs CU. The quality of the officiating is atrocious. Goggles flying with no calls, attackers going into the goal circle to pick up balls, and, the coup des gras, a YC on USC goalie and the replacement goalie NOT placed behind for the resulting FPS. It was frustrating to watch and I am sure the east coast players (who know the rules) and the coaches (mostly former D1 players) from both teams must be even more frustrated. What I know is that the game will NEVER reach its full potential in these emerging regions without officials who can administer the rules correctly. Embarrassing.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

watcherinthewoods wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:15 pm Nice to see ASU make some noise. McCormick is a good coach and is clearly making an impact.

On a related topic, I watched USC vs. CU and ASU vs CU. The quality of the officiating is atrocious. Goggles flying with no calls, attackers going into the goal circle to pick up balls, and, the coup des gras, a YC on USC goalie and the replacement goalie NOT placed behind for the resulting FPS. It was frustrating to watch and I am sure the east coast players (who know the rules) and the coaches (mostly former D1 players) from both teams must be even more frustrated. What I know is that the game will NEVER reach its full potential in these emerging regions without officials who can administer the rules correctly. Embarrassing.
This is one of the consequences of the "grow the game" refrain. We don't have enough quality officials.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”