Bourbon

General Chatter
youthathletics

Re: Bourbon and Spirits

Post by youthathletics »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:46 pm Oh man ole man. Just cracked a new bottle of Laphroaig 10 year single malt. The smokiest of smokiest single malts. Do not purchase this if you have not had scotch before. The nose is like huffing burning tires....yea that smokey :lol: . Added a few drops of water and it toned it a tad. The taste is salty, not spiced at all, very smooth.

It really draws you in, The strong nose, mild balance, with the salty finish are enticing for yet another sip.

Cheers!
Just ran across this....hilarious advertising on their Youtube page.

A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Carroll81

Post by Carroll81 »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:09 pm
youthathletics wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:46 pm Oh man ole man. Just cracked a new bottle of Laphroaig 10 year single malt. The smokiest of smokiest single malts. Do not purchase this if you have not had scotch before. The nose is like huffing burning tires....yea that smokey :lol: . Added a few drops of water and it toned it a tad. The taste is salty, not spiced at all, very smooth.

It really draws you in, The strong nose, mild balance, with the salty finish are enticing for yet another sip.

Cheers!

That video is all my friends who have tried it.

I use it to add smoke to other drinks -> replace the liquid in a jar of cherries with Laphroaig. Let it set for a few days. Add a cherry to an Old Fashioned or other preferred cocktail. Learned at McFalls just outside Towson while down watching some high school Lax.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

Cheers!
Try this one YA
Bruichladdich
Octomore 02.1, world's most heavily peated at 140 ppm.
https://www.whiskybase.com/whiskies/whi ... n-021-2140

Ashes, ashes, ashes......

It's the cocktail of choice seated near a open burning FURNACE
a fan

Post by a fan »

Kismet wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:57 am

Cheers!
Try this one YA
Bruichladdich

It's a genetic response, btw. Much like how some taste soap when they taste cilantro...and some can't get enough of it (me!).

If you like peat, it's a lovely smoky note (for me, Springbank and most Balvenie are my favorites).

If you don't? It tastes like iodine or medicine gone wrong.... :lol:
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Carroll81 wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:45 am
youthathletics wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:09 pm

Cheers!

That video is all my friends who have tried it.

I use it to add smoke to other drinks -> replace the liquid in a jar of cherries with Laphroaig. Let it set for a few days. Add a cherry to an Old Fashioned or other preferred cocktail. Learned at McFalls just outside Towson while down watching some high school Lax.
Thanks for that. I have been using the bottled Woodford Reserve Cherries I received as a gift, I will certainly try Laphroaig mix....I could see where that subtle detail would drive people nuts trying to figure out why my Old Fashioned tastes so damned good. :lol:
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Cheers!
Try this one YA
Bruichladdich

I will add it to my list, thanks for that.

I loved one of the comments that posted Jim McEwan' 's write up....makes you really wonder if people who enjoy this stuff are insane.. :lol:

Nose: Without water aromas of peat fires. iodine, burning heather and oily, sea-encrusted rope.

sea-encrusted rope :lol: .....how does one know that tastes like? :lol:
~Livy
kramerica.inc

Re: Bourbon

Post by kramerica.inc »

a fan wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:42 pm
youthathletics wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:37 am Just finished the youtube you posted. Lew Bryson sounds like a salt of of the earth guy, love his laugh
He's old school, and started in beer, which is where I came across him 25 years ago. We're quite fond of each other because even though we're both in the spirits game....we both came from the beer side.
Awesome stuff. Thanks for sharing.

I feel like there are a lot of similar flavors that crossover between beer and whiskey with the malts etc. but why did you guys crossover and go all-in on spirits?

Interest? More favorable outlook for the market? Something you wanted to try? Chance and circumstance? All of the above?!

Inquiring minds!

:D
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

youthathletics wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:49 am
a fan wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:10 pm
youthathletics wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:12 pm Spoke to the owner a couple weeks back...now in stock here in Maryland. Picked up my first bottle, going to start with the BiB.....gonna open her up tonight.

Ah, I'm sorry! I missed this post. You like it ok, I trust?

We won't have Maryland Rye in bottles again for another two years, releasing it as a BIB.

And Laphroaig? It's like Rauchbier-----you have to be in the mood with it, and you have to have VERY flavorful meat with it. You just can't sip on that stuff without food to balance it out, IMHO.

I
Indeed: I tagged you guys on social media.

First pour was neat, in a rocks glass. Tonight, in a Glencairn with 3 drops of water....each pour I allowed it to open its bouquet before sipping, taking in the notes every few minutes.

Notes: Complex is an understatement. I have picked up caramel, vanilla, leather, some cocoa, maybe a crisp apple in there and even something reminiscent of opening an old barn door with dried tobacco and freshly sawn wood.

Taste: I prefer to chew each sip a few times which allows the sip to rest on the palate, where you will then pick up the spice of the oak and white pepper. The longer you allow it to linger, it can test your will.....appreciate it. There is just enough oil in the pour from the corn in the mashbill which allows the complexity to linger.

Finish: pleasant. a hint of floral, and reminiscent of all things the nose gathered.

As one that worked a farm for years, this pour takes me back to truly simpler times.
a fan wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:10 pm And Laphroaig? It's like Rauchbier-----
Never had Rauchbier.

As for the Laphroaig 10 Year, when I first opened it, I was truly disappointed and immediately thought I had wasted my money. It's been sitting for a couple months and I just went back to it, wanting to take a little break from bourbon....and damned if I don't enjoy it now. What seemed to help, is that I have been doing more and more reviews with bourbons, and I now have this inquisitiveness to solve something I know so very little about... for my own sake. It has become an opportunity to turn off the world and focus on where the senses and memory collide.
Good review. Drinking it with you through the screen!
Where in MD did you find it?
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

a fan wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:57 pm

Cheers!
Try this one YA
Bruichladdich

It's a genetic response, btw. Much like how some taste soap when they taste cilantro...and some can't get enough of it (me!).

If you like peat, it's a lovely smoky note (for me, Springbank and most Balvenie are my favorites).

If you don't? It tastes like iodine or medicine gone wrong.... :lol:
Balvenie is quite tasty. Never had a bad one. Whenever I ask my mom what she wants for her birthday, she always says "I don't want anything...Unless you want to pick me up a bottle of that scotch you got me last year..."

It was Balvenie.

Ok, Ma.

:lol:

She rarely has a drink. So one bottle generally lasts her a whole year. Might as well be a good one!

:D
youthathletics

Re: Bourbon And Spirits

Post by youthathletics »

~Livy
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

a fan wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:57 pm
Curious question and if you would prefer to send response is PM I understand it.

I am seeing more and more people being enthralled with what is called SP's "Store Picks" or even groups gathering to to select a Single Barrel for themselves and stick on a funny/unique label making it their own. Versus the distillery just dumping all the barrels in to vat, thus blending them all, and sending them to the bottling line.

Without belaboring the point, have you found, in your experiences, a difference that is significant enough for you to say...wow, this barrel is so much different good/bad over the others?
~Livy
NoLeft

Post by NoLeft »

For those interested in Super Bowl souvenir Pappy, here's a link...

https://www.charitybuzz.com/theme/pappy ... n%20winkle

:P
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

NoLeft wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:19 pm For those interested in Super Bowl souvenir Pappy, here's a link...

https://www.charitybuzz.com/theme/pappy ... n%20winkle

:P
Why would someone spoil a perfectly fine, classic vessel and put Brady's whining face on it?
a fan

Post by a fan »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:25 pm
Without belaboring the point, have you found, in your experiences, a difference that is significant enough for you to say...wow, this barrel is so much different good/bad over the others?
It depends on how good the liquor store is, and if the distillery in question is large. If they're good, they'll insist on getting a wide array of barrels to choose from....and if they get that? They'll get a unique barrel.

For larger distilleries, they store whiskey in a 20,000 barrel rickhouse. And the whiskey on the top level (where it gets hotter) will be completely different than whiskey aged on the bottom (cooler).

For a small shop like mine with 2,000ish barrels in a dunnage style warehouse that's one story high? There's much less variation in barrel of the same age.

This is intentional on my part, obviously.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

a fan wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:07 pm
It depends on how good the liquor store is, and if the distillery in question is large. If they're good, they'll insist on getting a wide array of barrels to choose from....and if they get that? They'll get a unique barrel.

For larger distilleries, they store whiskey in a 20,000 barrel rickhouse. And the whiskey on the top level (where it gets hotter) will be completely different than whiskey aged on the bottom (cooler).

For a small shop like mine with 2,000ish barrels in a dunnage style warehouse that's one story high? There's much less variation in barrel of the same age.

Thank you.
~Livy
a fan

Post by a fan »

youthathletics wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:27 am

Thank you.
You're welcome! This is a wonderful time to be an American Whiskey fan. And the big shops (Buffalo Trace, Wild Turkey, etc.) are at the top of their games.
Bart

Post by Bart »

a fan wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:01 pm
youthathletics wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:27 am

Thank you.
You're welcome! This is a wonderful time to be an American Whiskey fan. And the big shops (Buffalo Trace, Wild Turkey, etc.) are at the top of their games.
AFan, I am almost thru the list you gave a while back and I must admit, out of all of them the one I like best is the WT 101. I do not have the most discerning pallet but to me it tastes the best. Thanks for the suggestion.
a fan

Post by a fan »

Bart wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:46 am AFan, I am almost thru the list you gave a while back and I must admit, out of all of them the one I like best is the WT 101. I do not have the most discerning pallet but to me it tastes the best.
Buffalo bagels. Your palate is just fine! And that's a fine whiskey! My suggestion? Start exploring Wild Turkey's other expressions. You might find what I'd call a "house note" that you like.....and find that you simply like the yeast Wild Turkey uses----or their maturation choices.

Enjoy it! No one except an idiot is going to tell you that Wild Turkey doesn't make world class whiskies!
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Pairs well with an 8 ball on a crisp spring Thursday night as well!
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

A friend works for Dell. They are having a Virtual Happy Hour via Zoom. Sent them all a bottle of High West Double Rye and 2 Romeo y Julietas.
My kinda place to work for!

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”