Johns Hopkins 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Sagittarius A*

Re: Johns Hopkins 2021

Post by Sagittarius A* »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:51 am
DocBarrister wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:32 am One highlight against Ohio State ... Epstein’s cross-field pass to a shooter (Degnon? Not sure) that was right on the money. Shot didn’t go in, but that pass was bold and sharp.

Epstein hasn’t shown his signature ankle-breaking moves behind the net, yet, and he had a tough defender on him against Ohio State, but I think he’s going to have a good season.

DocBarrister 8-)
I am keep my fingers crossed that he gets all the way back. Sometimes you just never know. Good luck.
We've had our share of players that just never were never the same player after major injuries. But usually that's like an ACL. His injury wasn't that bad as he was able to play through it. A lot of us at the time did not think that was a good idea, however, it may be more of a confidence issue with him right now. Hopefully he gets his game back and Grimes becomes more assertive. We need both pieces moving forward.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

DocBarrister wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:32 am One highlight against Ohio State ... Epstein’s cross-field pass to a shooter (Degnon? Not sure) that was right on the money. Shot didn’t go in, but that pass was bold and sharp.

Epstein hasn’t shown his signature ankle-breaking moves behind the net, yet, and he had a tough defender on him against Ohio State, but I think he’s going to have a good season.

DocBarrister 8-)
I am keep my fingers crossed that he gets all the way back. Sometimes you just never know. Good luck.
I can’t get a read on the situation. I’ve heard he was fine last year after he tweaked his knee in preseason, that he was recovered and just didn’t play well once the season started but it’s clear he was lacking the explosiveness he showed in year one. In preseason videos this year it looked like he had some explosiveness back but in game play on the weekend it wasn’t there at all.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:25 am

DocBarrister 8-)
We've had our share of players that just never were never the same player after major injuries. But usually that's like an ACL. His injury wasn't that bad as he was able to play through it. A lot of us at the time did not think that was a good idea, however, it may be more of a confidence issue with him right now. Hopefully he gets his game back and Grimes becomes more assertive. We need both pieces moving forward.
Thanks for reminding me. I somehow thought it was an ACL. Supinski and Reed were never the same. I like what I saw out of Grimes.
“I wish you would!”
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

I know he is undersized but, I'd like to see Cody Ince get a shot. He's someone you don't have to teach the SSDM position to. Played it all throughout high school at McDonogh, in one of the best HS conferences in the country. Can't be much worse than what we saw this weekend.

Re: FOGO, Narewski was out there because we needed his size/strength battling for GBs against Terefenko, who is just a beast of an athlete. Against a normal FOGO I would expect to see more of Prouty. I don't think that this game necessarily signals a total changing of the guard.

Epstein will be fine.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

-https://syracusefan.com/threads/army-ga ... 75/page-17, rough day there.
-51, we see next week where the change is
-you can probably get a decent view from the parking lot or north east corner by the equipment shack and no alcohol check
-we have size at ssdm or whatever they're calling it
-mcmanus looked better
-offense needs to pick up some groundballs.
-when you have snow on that turf it makes it wet and when they shovel off the snow it removes a lot of the recycled tire pellets that are supposed to act as the stabilizer for cleats. the shoes they were wearing didn't adjust well to it. that cost them 5-7 possessions.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

#rubberpelletgate
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:39 am -offense needs to pick up some groundballs.
Sometimes I really wonder what game you're watching. Epstein and DeSimone had 9 GBs between them. Meanwhile, the five longpoles who got playing time combined for 3 GBs. THREE. How can it possibly be that your takeaway here is that the offense is who needs to get better off the ground? If two of your attackmen are able to pick up three times as many GBs as your entire squadron of LSMs and close D guys, it's probably not the offense you should be worried about.

To my eye Reinson was the best defender against OSU. Seems like he's another guy who might have been playing out of position for several years.

#55 struggled a little bit in his first taste of D1 athletics but I think he'll get better.
nrthcrosslax

Post by nrthcrosslax »

I don't know of any other team that struggles so much with footwear. Whether turf or grass fields, it seems to be a recurring theme. This goes back a couple of decades...
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:33 am I know he is undersized but, I'd like to see Cody Ince get a shot. He's someone you don't have to teach the SSDM position to. Played it all throughout high school at McDonogh

Re: FOGO, Narewski was out there because we needed his size/strength battling for GBs against Terefenko, who is just a beast of an athlete. Against a normal FOGO I would expect to see more of Prouty. I don't think that this game necessarily signals a total changing of the guard.
I think Ince was in a tracksuit on the weekend. Possibly injured?

I took the total opposite from the PM post game presser. It sounded exactly like there was a changing of the guard.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:54 am
jhu06 wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:39 am -offense needs to pick up some groundballs.
Sometimes I really wonder what game you're watching. Epstein and DeSimone had 9 GBs between them. Meanwhile, the five longpoles who got playing time combined for 3 GBs. THREE. How can it possibly be that your takeaway here is that the offense is who needs to get better off the ground? If two of your attackmen are able to pick up three times as many GBs as your entire squadron of LSMs and close D guys, it's probably not the offense you should be worried about.

To my eye Reinson was the best defender against OSU. Seems like he's another guy who might have been playing out of position for several years.

#55 struggled a little bit in his first taste of D1 athletics but I think he'll get better.
-they dropped about 20 on offense so 9 makes sense.
-for those that think we have a unique form of emotional irrational distress hit page 11 on that cuse thread that has 20 pages of posts just from sundays game and remember they have 2 bigger alpha dog sports there to obsess over before they get to lax.
-ask the football team what they do for cleats and turf care. they don't have these problems.
-zinn 20 points and a dozen turnovers in 3 years.
-delaney is a converted d3 basketball player. Used to looking up for balls, I'm not relying on him to get low. Just not get pantsed 3-4 times a game.
-reinson along w/scott smith are the only top 50 IL recruits of the 57 on the roster who are back half of the field based. We need big things from him this year.
-the lost decade in goal was one of the great mysteries of the petro era especially after they brought in the famed coach to help the kiddos. they brought in about 10-12 recruits, mostly IL rated and many under armour decorated and we just never found consistent long term homewood grown answers.
courtdog

Post by courtdog »

Going to be tough to find some wins. Michigan this week is a must win if we are being honest. I don't see how they even compete with MD, Rut, PSU, OSU.
Thor1

Post by Thor1 »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:33 am I know he is undersized but, I'd like to see Cody Ince get a shot. He's someone you don't have to teach the SSDM position to. Played it all throughout high school at McDonogh, in one of the best HS conferences in the country. Can't be much worse than what we saw this weekend.

Epstein will be fine.
Narewski will see most of the draws...fare better at GBs, bigger and more athletic. Prouty was solid when knee down but that's in the rear view mirror.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

Matnum PI wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:47 am NCAA MEN'S LACROSSE
3:00 PM (Replay of) Ohio State vs. Johns Hopkins on ESPNU.
I want to watch it in reverse, so I’ll like the outcome.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

Thor1 wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:47 am
HopFan16 wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:33 am I know he is undersized but, I'd like to see Cody Ince get a shot. He's someone you don't have to teach the SSDM position to. Played it all throughout high school at McDonogh, in one of the best HS conferences in the country. Can't be much worse than what we saw this weekend.

Epstein will be fine.
Narewski will see most of the draws...fare better at GBs, bigger and more athletic. Prouty was solid when knee down but that's in the rear view mirror.
Prouty is a plus athlete too. I wouldn't be too sure - will probably be matchup dependent.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

courtdog wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:36 am Going to be tough to find some wins. Michigan this week is a must win if we are being honest. I don't see how they even compete with MD, Rut, PSU, OSU.
The team will get better. I think we'll be fine, but yeah, a loss to Michigan wouldn't be good.
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:30 am

DocBarrister 8-)
Thanks for reminding me. I somehow thought it was an ACL. Supinski and Reed were never the same. I like what I saw out of Grimes.
Obviously hope that Epstein regains his freshman form, but JHU experience says that it is not limited to ACL injuries. Kyle Barrie being a case in point.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

primitiveskills wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:20 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:30 am

DocBarrister 8-)
Obviously hope that Epstein regains his freshman form, but JHU experience says that it is not limited to ACL injuries. Kyle Barrie being a case in point.
Keeping my fingers crossed. Hopefully he regains his form. He just needs to see thee ball go in a couple of times and he will be fine.
“I wish you would!”
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

I basically saw what I expected a team with a new coach, no fall ball to acclimate the players to the new system and then have 10 days off (for no real reason beyond "SCIENCE?"). Maybe it was a little sloppier on the stick work but I wasn't shocked.

I've stated previously this year is about nothing more than reworking the system into what Millman wants and work through as many remaining Petro issues as they can. Some of those issues will remain because they are recruiting/ER based and just can't shake them in the near term. I don't really care if they win a game this year...it is about building for the future. It is one of the reasons, I'm not exactly jazzed about a 5th year grad transfer playing in goal. I get he is the best option and played well but this season is about the future and finding a goal for that is paramount.

Defensively, the many of the issues we saw on Saturday were the same ones Hopkins has had for the last decade. Just not athletic enough to play with top teams. It won't fix itself this year. Long sticks will get better but the SSDM issue is going to be one that will continue to haunt this program for several more years. Also, given that defenses are more complex instruments in lax, it takes longer to get a defense in synch than it does an offense (the opposite of football).

As for offense, it looked okay. Need more but it is what it is at this point. The fact Epstein was almost invisible wasn't great to see - same with Grimes. Can't get only 1 goal out of 2 of your starting attackman and expect to be competitive. Desimone, obviously looked really good. Hopefully, his issues were just injuries or the like because if not, it is a testament to how poor the team was coached on offense and the lack of wanting to change up strategies up if him not playing at attack was Benson/Petro issue and not poor play issue.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Like everyone else, #32 is still getting his sea legs under him in a new offense. This is not a Supinski situation. I think he was pressing a little bit to try and make some plays in his first game back healthy. Not uncommon. He's going to be ok.

He tore his MCL last year. It wasn't just a "tweak." Not as serious as an ACL tear but still a significant injury. Ideally he would have been out for up to six weeks but obviously that's not what happened. It might take a few games to get back into the swing of things this year especially given the circumstances.
steel_hop wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:31 am I don't really care if they win a game this year...it is about building for the future. It is one of the reasons, I'm not exactly jazzed about a 5th year grad transfer playing in goal. I get he is the best option and played well but this season is about the future and finding a goal for that is paramount.
Kirson has another year of eligibility in 2022. He's in a two-year grad program so the expectation is he will be back next year.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:53 am
Matnum PI wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:47 am NCAA MEN'S LACROSSE
3:00 PM (Replay of) Ohio State vs. Johns Hopkins on ESPNU.
I want to watch it in reverse, so I’ll like the outcome.
All about the 0-0 tie? "Kissing one's sister?!"

:shock: :? ;)

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”