Army

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Dip&Dunk

Re: Army

Post by Dip&Dunk »

As Crabtown grad, nice win Army. This one must feel really good.
wrapcheque

Post by wrapcheque »

hofpride wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:19 pm I thought Army showed themselves very well - they can be some ones nightmare
Great call hofpride!
cantrelax

Post by cantrelax »

Real as real can be! Down 6-1, and win 18-11 over a super hyped Orange squad with 5th and 6th year players in a "return to prominence" season. Just a tremendous performance! All hail the Black Knights of the Hudson! They're always a tough out, but this was truly special.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

cantrelax wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:33 pm Real as real can be! Down 6-1, and win 18-11 over a super hyped Orange squad with 5th and 6th year players in a "return to prominence" season. Just a tremendous performance! All hail the Black Knights of the Hudson! They're always a tough out, but this was truly special.
who is 6th year at su? isn't army running their prep school still?

army looked crazy good.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

An Army team that can actually score some goals? They're always really stingy defensively, but their offense was humming today. Granted Cuse's D looked like total garbage - ball watch city - but still. An Army team that can score is going to be dangerous.
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

Imagine that garbage Cuse defense trying to stop Virginia, UNC and Duke? The scoreboard will light up like a pinball machine. :lol:
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

As an avowed Cuse hater, let me just say that I can't wait. Looking forward to them finishing 4 or 5 in the ACC after having suffered through the last year's hype machine.
cantrelax

Post by cantrelax »

Shocked by their lack of urgency half way through the 4th Q. You need the ball! You're down by 5-6 goals....maybe try doubling?
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

Just an awful performance for 3 quarters. I was looking around to read some posts from Cuse fans melting down, but couldn't really find any. The Cuse thread isn't even on the first page of the forum. Does no one care up there in Central New York anymore?
Blackdoglax

Post by Blackdoglax »

wgdsr wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:35 pm
cantrelax wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:33 pm Real as real can be! Down 6-1, and win 18-11 over a super hyped Orange squad with 5th and 6th year players in a "return to prominence" season. Just a tremendous performance! All hail the Black Knights of the Hudson! They're always a tough out, but this was truly special.

army looked crazy good.
Stephen Reifuss is in his 6th year I believe. Started at Holy Cross but did not play transferred to Cuse.....
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Blackdoglax wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:30 pm
wgdsr wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:35 pm

army looked crazy good.
Stephen Reifuss is in his 6th year I believe. Started at Holy Cross but did not play transferred to Cuse.....
so he meant to say the orange with 5th year and one 6th year player vs army's 5th years.
cantrelax

Post by cantrelax »

Frozen perhaps? It's been a rough winter, of course that has been true at West Point as well. I believe Cuse will bounce back with a strong effort in conference next week. UVA will bring it!
cantrelax

Post by cantrelax »

I have no issue with kids using all of their eligibility no matter the school. Of course many Army Prep guys are a year more mature by their fifth year. No criticism of the Cuse guys and the many others who had tough decisions because of the pandemic. I like both of these teams and always feel games and seasons are more exciting when Cuse is good. I, for one, expected them to rumble through this season. I also feel this Army loss may inspire them. They have huge talent.
Blackdoglax

Post by Blackdoglax »

I am always surprised when lax fans mention that the Academy has a Prep School and that gives them it a leg up. While it certainly does not hurt, how many other players on Syracuse, our any Ivy do a PG year?

I know when my kids played it was used as a way through the recruiting process twice for late bloomers. The fact of the matter is neither Army, Navy norAir Force can redshirt players for athletic purposes like everyone else can.....
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Blackdoglax wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:33 am I am always surprised when lax fans mention that the Academy has a Prep School and that gives them it a leg up. While it certainly does not hurt, how many other players on Syracuse, our any Ivy do a PG year?

I know when my kids played it was used as a way through the recruiting process twice for late bloomers. The fact of the matter is neither Army, Navy norAir Force can redshirt players for athletic purposes like everyone else can.....
so they use the prep school instead.

if you noticed (and i brought it up), it was in response to the charge that army whupped a bunch of 5th and 6th years. and it wasn't mentioned as army getting a leg up, but rather leveling the playing field some. cantrelax was a little hyped, and who can blame him, and wanted to bang on cuse a bit. just banter.
Blackdoglax

Post by Blackdoglax »

Fair point but there are players who do a PG and a redshirt too and thats not possible at Army.
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

wgdsr wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:50 am
Blackdoglax wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:33 am I am always surprised when lax fans mention that the Academy has a Prep School and that gives them it a leg up. While it certainly does not hurt, how many other players on Syracuse, our any Ivy do a PG year?

so they use the prep school instead.

if you noticed (and i brought it up), it was in response to the charge that army whupped a bunch of 5th and 6th years. and it wasn't mentioned as army getting a leg up, but rather leveling the playing field some. cantrelax was a little hyped, and who can blame him, and wanted to bang on cuse a bit. just banter.
I think a bigger disadvantage for the service schools (and Citadel/VMI) long term will be the inability to take advantage of the transfer portal. They will continue to be feeders of the portal (as they always have for that matter) but as the portal becomes more and more used, the schools with, lets say a barrier to entry in first year indoctrination (is that polite enough?), will be less competitive.

Their unique graduation requirements, lack of post-graduate education opportunities on-campus for 5th (7th?) year players and now the inability to take advantage of the transfer portal makes it more and more important to use/develop the talent they do get.....rather than say play some other sport at a level TBD. :roll:
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

To wgdsr:

The comparison between red shirting and the feeder prep schools only goes so far. Prep school attendees improve more academically than they do sport-wise. Red shirts practice with the team, learn the varsity systems, co-players tendencies, use the varsity facilities and get a leg up academically.

SA's prep schools learn to march, rig a uniform, play their sport against club teams and other post grad prep schools, and get a leg up academically. I would bet they have a rifle in their hands more often than they do a lax stick.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Dip&Dunk wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:21 am To wgdsr:

The comparison between red shirting and the feeder prep schools only goes so far. Prep school attendees improve more academically than they do sport-wise. Red shirts practice with the team, learn the varsity systems, co-players tendencies, use the varsity facilities and get a leg up academically.

SA's prep schools learn to march, rig a uniform, play their sport against club teams and other post grad prep schools, and get a leg up academically. I would bet they have a rifle in their hands more often than they do a lax stick.
that's all fine. the comparison was syracuse. they actually don't take many pg's as cited above by another, but would rather have them redshirt. some there don't play that game, either. or just don't post for year 5, and they weren't playing as frosh anyway. do you think the redshirt frosh are getting a ton of work in on 60 plus person rosters?

kid we had was lucky enough to head to the hudson put on 30+ pounds of muscle in his prep year. they can use facilities, too. to me, it's about maturity. all those things you mention about getting ready for the academy are more valuable than a few more lax reps. imo. helps them be ready to balance it all and be ready.

in any event, none of any of this was anything but a needle on either side. go army! who they got this weekend?
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

wgdsr wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:41 am
Dip&Dunk wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:21 am To wgdsr:

go army! who they got this weekend?
As a Crabtown grad, my "go army" feelings only go so far. GO NAVY!!

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”