Johns Hopkins 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
jhu08

Re: Johns Hopkins 2021

Post by jhu08 »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:03 pm You play whoever is next on your schedule and do your best, improving each week.
We will get there. I believe in this staff and the leadership among the players. It will come together with time and practice.
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

Positives:
- Better in second half. Sloppiness should get better quickly
- Deso on attack
- Slides were generally effective, well-timed, and aggressive. No more pointless slides or ineffectual slide-and-bail moves.
- Patrick Deans looks like a find at LSM. Fast and aggressive. He'll see more time.
- Grimes seemed tentative but you can tell he's going to be a problem for opposing teams
- Offensive generally got into attacking mode much more quickly than the past. No more wasting half of the shot clock putzing around above the restraining line.

Negative:
- It's going to take a while to get the stink of ER and years-long neglect for obvious areas of need (SSDMS, athlectic Ms in general, guys who can play up top and be actual shooting threats) out of the program. But that process is underway.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

Biggest plus for me: The team did not roll over and give up in Q3.
Wondering: One of the announcers said DeSimone had been 'nicked up' the last couple of years. But happy he has found a niche.
Worrying: Is Epstein not really 100%
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
Chitown

Post by Chitown »

Well, I am so pleased to see a lacrosse game, and a Hopkins lacrosse game at that. The JHU players never gave up. A positive. The passing and catching was mediocre. A positive and a negative, because it can be easily fixed with more practice. The goalie was very good and no cheap goals. A positive. The defense was out-of-position and tended to flail at stick fakes. A negative and a positive because that can be improved in practice.

Over- all, no surprises and the lacrosse season has returned for JHU :) :) . We will improve ;)
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

44WeWantMore wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:19 pm Biggest plus for me: The team did not roll over and give up in Q3.
Wondering: One of the announcers said DeSimone had been 'nicked up' the last couple of years. But happy he has found a niche.
Worrying: Is Epstein not really 100%
Agree about Epstein. Still not back to freshman form. Him playing last year seemed like an obvious mistake and I hope that didn't set him back physically.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Proud of this thread for not panicking or freaking out. Obviously not great, but for a team that has barely practiced together, that wasn't exactly unexpected.

Good:
-Deso looks great on attack. He's been playing the wrong position for three years
-Kirson made some good saves and kept it closer than it could have been
-Narewski

Bad:
-Basically everything else

We move on.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

Another positive:

Didn’t have to listen to QK.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

HopFan16 wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:26 pm Proud of this thread for not panicking or freaking out. Obviously not great, but for a team that has barely practiced together, that wasn't exactly unexpected.

Good:
-Deso looks great on attack. He's been playing the wrong position for three years
-Kirson made some good saves and kept it closer than it could have been
-Narewski

Bad:
-Basically everything else

We move on.
Definitely not enough plugs in here for Narewski. Really brought it today.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

D’oh!
D’oh!
DD043E51-CCCD-495E-B0C9-173562E4BDAE.jpeg (45.71 KiB) Viewed 2411 times
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Bring in Tom Brady 👍
BlueJaySince1947

Post by BlueJaySince1947 »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:27 pm Another positive:

Didn’t have to listen to QK.
ABSOLUTELY !
But I'm certain he's chortling with glee.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:47 pm DD043E51-CCCD-495E-B0C9-173562E4BDAE.jpeg
Ha.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Hoponboard

Post by Hoponboard »

Positives:

Narewski - 14 for 22 FOs, 9 GBs
Deso - 3g, 5 GBs
Kirson - 13 saves, 11 after 1st qtr.
Cole and Baskin - 2g on 2 shots
McManus - 2 CTs

Negatives:

19 turnovers, 14 unforced

Prouty - 0 for 4 FOs
Angelus - 0 for 7 shooting, 1 TO
Zinn - 0 for 4 shooting, 3 TO
Mabbett - run past for 4 goals
Last edited by Hoponboard on Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

- DeSimone looked like an entirely different player. Quicker and more assertive. I think the roster dropped his weight from 195 to 190. Perhaps related? He seemed to ride well too.
- Definitely looked like the first game of the season, couldn't throw and catch, tons of turnovers, maybe not understanding the O and D schemes well enough to execute. That said, there was some real improvement in the second half. And these issues will get cleaned up.
- Kirson was very good.
- Narewski was very good too. I think he (and Prouty) might be the right prototype for the new rules. On the new rules, am I the only one who can't understand what a violation/hold/push/withholding is? I have no idea which way the ref is going to point after the call. Makes no sense to me.
- The long sticks seemed generally fine. I only saw 28 really get abused once. Didn't notice 44 much at all, which I guess is good. Seemed like they played a lot of them 28, 87, 31, 44 as well as 55, 46 and 77 (a little) at LSM.
- The short sticks weren't very good at all. Particularly 16 and I know it's his first game ever at the position and yes, he got no help from slides. I haven't gone back and counted be he got abused 1 vs. 1 on at least 4 goals in the first half. I don't know if it was him or the scheme, but it was better in the 2nd half. I've said it before, but he just doesn't look athletic enough to stay in front of guys. 34 (who would have predicted that?) actually seemed to be OK. 37 was passable as well. I really tend to think that by the end of the year, one of more of the freshman will be taking a lot of the runs.
- I think OSU's defense is actually quite good and their goalie played well too, but the offensive just didn't seem to have a plan. Other than DeSimone, no one really looked good. Grimes was anonymous (and probably needs to work on his handle if he's going to be on the crease a lot). Epstein didn't look like the 2018 version. Zinn didn't look much different. Angelus was anonymous too. Cole and Degnon were OK, I guess.
- Clearing game needs some work.
- The team will get better. They didn't quit. Didn't see a lot of bad body language either. FWIW, OSU was really quite good in the first half and I think that was the story of the game. The next game with OSU will be more competitive.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

Any score predictions? Jays 12-8
Last edited by flalax22 on Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

nyjay wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:07 pm - DeSimone looked like an entirely different player. Quicker and more assertive. I think the roster dropped his weight from 195 to 190. Perhaps related? He seemed to ride well too.
- Definitely looked like the first game of the season, couldn't throw and catch, tons of turnovers, maybe not understanding the O and D schemes well enough to execute. That said, there was some real improvement in the second half. And these issues will get cleaned up.
- Kirson was very good.
- Narewski was very good too. I think he (and Prouty) might be the right prototype for the new rules. On the new rules, am I the only one who can't understand what a violation/hold/push/withholding is? I have no idea which way the ref is going to point after the call. Makes no sense to me.
- The long sticks seemed generally fine. I only saw 28 really get abused once. Didn't notice 44 much at all, which I guess is good. Seemed like they played a lot of them 28, 87, 31, 44 as well as 55, 46 and 77 (a little) at LSM.
- The short sticks weren't very good at all. Particularly 16 and I know it's his first game ever at the position and yes, he got no help from slides. I haven't gone back and counted be he got abused 1 vs. 1 on at least 4 goals in the first half. I don't know if it was him or the scheme, but it was better in the 2nd half. I've said it before, but he just doesn't look athletic enough to stay in front of guys. 34 (who would have predicted that?) actually seemed to be OK. 37 was passable as well. I really tend to think that by the end of the year, one of more of the freshman will be taking a lot of the runs.
- I think OSU's defense is actually quite good and their goalie played well too, but the offensive just didn't seem to have a plan. Other than DeSimone, no one really looked good. Grimes was anonymous (and probably needs to work on his handle if he's going to be on the crease a lot). Epstein didn't look like the 2018 version. Zinn didn't look much different. Angelus was anonymous too. Cole and Degnon were OK, I guess.
- The team will get better. They didn't quit. Didn't see a lot of bad body language either. FWIW, OSU was really quite good in the first half and I think that was the story of the game. The next game with OSU will be more competitive.
44 didn't play, at least that I noticed. The close D for pretty much the whole game was 28, 31, and 87. Agree that for the most part they did a decent job, minus a few late slides. I thought 87 was really good on ball. Like, really good. The others were okay. It was the shorties getting abused, per usual.

Grimes had a really nice face dodge to get free underneath for a goal. Couldn't finish it but it was a great move. He's going to get more comfortable.

SSDM play is going be a a huge ongoing concern. But besides that, I think the other issues are likely to improve over the course of the season.

Deans looks like he might have something at LSM.

Need to get Cole more involved on O.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

thought I saw 44 out there in the first half - maybe i assumed he would be and so missed it entirely.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

HopFan16 wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:17 pm
nyjay wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:07 pm - DeSimone looked like an entirely different player. Quicker and more assertive. I think the roster dropped his weight from 195 to 190. Perhaps related? He seemed to ride well too.
- Kirson was very good.
44 didn't play, at least that I noticed. The close D for pretty much the whole game was 28, 31, and 87. Agree that for the most part they did a decent job, minus a few late slides. I thought 87 was really good on ball. Like, really good. The others were okay. It was the shorties getting abused, per usual.

Grimes had a really nice face dodge to get free underneath for a goal. Couldn't finish it but it was a great move. He's going to get more comfortable.

SSDM play is going be a a huge ongoing concern. But besides that, I think the other issues are likely to improve over the course of the season.

Deans looks like he might have something at LSM.

Need to get Cole more involved on O.
Did Hawley play at all?
“I wish you would!”
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Was wonderful to see homewood again.
up
-conor
-focus is 2021 now. not 1987, 2007, er, coaching contract, sideline demeanor.
-lineup composition was interesting only 2/14 srs didn't play and one was darby and 28/32 underclassmen didn't make the score sheet. If they graduate w/their class that's about 12 new faces in opening day 2022 and shows the extent to the long term rebuilding situation.
-thats a huge credit to the deans kid playing today
-impressive second half
-clearing was a lot better than I expected
-no man down goals
-couldn't read the jersey numbers

down
-really no reason for the slow offensive start. These are veteran Hopkins offensive players for the most part and an ohio state staff that's been around awhile to scout. we only have 5 opponents this year to work about until may. thought we'd certainly give up goals but score a lot more
-turnovers, looked like mcla stuff out there.
-williams has never been a week in week out all america player. dissapointing
-zinn, if not now when
-hard to read the jersey numbers
-start to second half at home. epstein turnover, zinn turnover, williams to grimes turnover.
-no emo
-lost gbs
-prouty

whatever
-kirson held his own. the upgrades in goal and coaching petro brought on never really delivered.
-still can't tell the jay dyer difference other than hes besties w/the guys.
-$10 for big ten plus next weekend.
-liked the pregame show. these 10 weeks are such a big opportunity for the school to engage the public beyond the lab and classroom
-would've been good to get a scrimmage against loyola, I don't really care that we're not playing instate rivals. 10 in a robust b1g is ok.
-Be interesting what Myers thinks was different from this club vs what petro showed him.
-have to wonder about the long term future of these freshmen and sophomores who weren't able to supplant players from a 2 win team. They weren't recruited by this staff, didn't play last year and I would imagine there is going to be a really active transfer market next summer.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

I didn't see Hawley at all. I think they could have used him - despite the faceoff wins, they didn't seem all that good off the ground at all. Felt like they could have won way more f/o's that they actually did.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”