Limbaugh passed away

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
a fan

Re: Limbaugh passed away

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:50 pm ]So maybe Trump's tariffs weren't really all that protectionist, at least compared to EU/Japan multi-faceted protectionism.
What they were was reckless and stupid, with no actual stated endgoal. They did NOTHING to help the American working class, and instead led to record imports from China, a drop in exports, and across the board increases in pricing for Americans with ZERO ancillary benefits from said higher prices.

And they are now Biden's tariffs. Which will make it so that you and guys like Tech will actually listen to my rational points about the stupidity of the tariffs.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

a fan wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:05 pm
old salt wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:50 pm ]So maybe Trump's tariffs weren't really all that protectionist, at least compared to EU/Japan multi-faceted protectionism.
What they were was reckless and stupid, with no actual stated endgoal. They did NOTHING to help the American working class, and instead led to record imports from China, a drop in exports, and across the board increases in pricing for Americans with ZERO ancillary benefits from said higher prices.

And they are now Biden's tariffs. Which will make it so that you and guys like Tech will actually listen to my rational points about the stupidity of the tariffs.
Tariffs are inherently dumb, blunt instruments that hurt both involved parties, but most importantly the consumer who actually ends up paying the 'taxes'.

Some of the other stuff a fan mentioned is where some limited 'protectionism' actually may have some basis for support, albeit in small doses...I'm fine with insisting that camembert is actually made in France, and it's indeed stupid to allow labelling 'made in America' if most of the actual added value content was made elsewhere. The first has limited economic value, but does have cultural resonance, whereas the other actually matters for transparency sake.

Where we should compete is in supporting the economics of the businesses (not with subsidies) but with structural investments, eg. education, healthcare, transportation, energy, etc...
a fan

Post by a fan »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:45 pm Where we should compete is in supporting the economics of the businesses (not with subsidies) but with structural investments, eg. education, healthcare, transportation, energy, etc...
This is why America is in desperate need of a functioning Republican party. R's who think like MDlax.

We're not doing ANY-freaking-thing to compete anymore. All the R's do is cut taxes to multinational. Which is, obviously, counterproductive.

How's that infrastructure in Texas this week?
old salt

Post by old salt »

a fan wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:52 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:45 pm Where we should compete is in supporting the economics of the businesses (not with subsidies) but with structural investments, eg. education, healthcare, transportation, energy, etc...
This is why America is in desperate need of a functioning Republican party. R's who think like MDlax.
...right. We need to bring back the neocon one world order globalists who enabled China's emergence, the USSR's devolution into a dangerous kleptocracy & allowed the decline of the US, while Japan/EU fortified the walls around their economies, as our industrial base & jobs fled offshore in pursuit of slave labor costs.

Meanwhile, Biden's trying to give away the energy independence we managed to claw back, so we can bankroll polluting countries, while China builds new coal fired power plants because they're a "developing" country. ....& we continue paying to be the global police force.
a fan

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:51 am ...right. We need to bring back the neocon one world order globalists who enabled China's emergence, the USSR's devolution into a dangerous kleptocracy & allowed the decline of the US, while Japan/EU fortified the walls around their economies, as our industrial base & jobs fled offshore in pursuit of slave labor costs.
I find it beyond hilarious that after 15+ years of banter with me, you've become a full on liberal when it comes to economics.

All l have to say in return is that you voted for the wrong team the past 40 years, and every word of the above happened by your vote.
old salt wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:51 am Meanwhile, Biden's trying to give away the energy independence we managed to claw back
Yeah, didn't happen. Energy independence means we get zero energy from anyone but ourselves. We're nowhere---nowhere--close to that.

But again? If that's what you want, vote liberal. They'll get that for you if you get enough of them in power.
old salt wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:51 am ........so we can bankroll polluting countries, while China builds new coal fired power plants because they're a "developing" country. ....& we continue paying to be the global police force.
:lol: Again.....vote for liberals. This is their wheelhouse, my man. The problem, of course, is that no one votes for them. So instead? We get Joe Biden. Or Trump. Or Obama. Or Bush. Or Clinton.

On a totally unrelated note, Dis would like to buy you a beer!
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

a fan wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:35 am
old salt wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:51 am Meanwhile, Biden's trying to give away the energy independence we managed to claw back
Yeah, didn't happen. Energy independence means we get zero energy from anyone but ourselves. We're nowhere---nowhere--close to that.

But again? If that's what you want, vote liberal. They'll get that for you if you get enough of them in power.
Are you saying the state of Texas is not already there? Last I checked, every one round these parts is blaming republicans for being energy independent in that state. So now, if you are energy independent from other states and countries, you need to be voting blue?

Makes perfect sense now. :lol: " 2+2= no, because squirrels can't dance" ;)
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

cradleandshoot wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:10 pm
a fan wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:37 am
dislaxxic wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:22 am Limbaugh did not invent modern conservatism, but he hatched the dominant way of selling it: by harnessing operatic illogic and cruelty into a tribal bonding mechanism. From 1988 to 2021, on radio stations everywhere, Limbaugh spewed paleoconservative cant and nonsense, unfalsifiable antediluvian theories rooted in a relentless mockery and vilification of the other. He was forever warning his listeners of the homegrown pinko threat posed by liberals, intellectuals, journalists, environmentalists, feminists, and the sorts of suspicious souls who got their news from credible sources rather than shows like his.[/i]
Been saying it for years. Imagine how glorious the American Conservative movement would be if Limbaugh had chosen a different format for his show

Instead of spending all his time on "the libs are bad"? He could have banned the word "Dem" or "Lib" from his airwaves, and spent his entire time discussing the positives of Conservative theories of Governance, and touting Conservative laws and Conservative candidates. Picture that.

He would have left America in a better place than he arrived. What did he do instead? He peddled fear, xenophobia, and hate of "the other". He's the center of the destruction of the Republican party. Tin foil hats over reasonable spending, and paying America's bills on time.

Sad.
I first started listening to Limbaugh when I spent many hours driving to service calls in the 90s. I was not as much enamored with Rush as I was with the parodys of Democrat leaders of the 1990s that he lambasted with no mercy. I always looked at his show as humor and opinion and nothing else. He was the only person telling America as to what a despicable, disgusting, revolting human being Ted Kennedy was. In the 1990s that degenerate scumbag was the undeniable poppa bear of the Democrat party. Without Rush would any of us even know what a " waitress sandwich " was. Where do you draw draw your line for people you would trust. If you have an 18 year old daughter a Fan and you had to choose between Limbaugh and Bill Clinton to be her chaperone to the senior prom.. who would you choose?
Seems to me you like him a lot more than you are letting on and might’ve even hoped their would’ve been more love for him on this thread when you created it.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

old salt wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:45 pm
a fan wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:06 pm
old salt wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:55 pm :roll: Conservatives should have stuck with the Lincoln Project boyz.
If you actually wanted Conservative Policies moving the country forward instead of 20 years of "hey, let's stick it to the libs on twitter"?

Yep. I find it telling that you think that a conservative group that dares to point out that Trump's policies weren't conservative.... is bad.

How are Trump's voters doing OS? Four years, and not a single police that helped them in any meaningful sense. They're economically drowning, and you know it. Rush is an ENORMOUS part of the reason why.

But sure. Go ahead and double down and ignore that, while all my "coastal elite" lib friends that Rush mocked so much take increasingly expensive vacations every year. TrumpVoters are going to continue to get played, while the Ted Cruz's of the GOP take vacations to Mexico during a national emergency in the State he represents.
Twitter would have banned them. Trump's base are what used to be Reagan Dems. Buckley's GOP blue bloods accepted them to win & because they agreed on social issues.

Anyone who's drowning is because of the pandemic. The Dems don't have any policies to prevent it either.
Before the pandemic, the economy was roaring & everyone was doing better. Things were improving.
You can't undo 3 decades in 3 years, but you can start turning the ship around.
Once again, the economy was slipping in second half of 2019 and have provided data here a few time for folks who’ve made this claim before but the economy was not roaring befor Covid. This is just an untruth that anyone searching basic free info like the St Louis federal reserve or bea can find easily. Not true no matter how many times people say it. Good that you were doing well or your portfolio was holding up but the macro metrics demostrate it and even the markets were soft underneath the “hey I’m a genius because I owned some amazon stock from the 2000s” stock market like almost every credit market imaginable. Credit markets, for those unaware, dwarf equity markets in the US and globally.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:46 pm
old salt wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:45 pm
a fan wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:06 pm
old salt wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:55 pm :roll: Conservatives should have stuck with the Lincoln Project boyz.
If you actually wanted Conservative Policies moving the country forward instead of 20 years of "hey, let's stick it to the libs on twitter"?

Yep. I find it telling that you think that a conservative group that dares to point out that Trump's policies weren't conservative.... is bad.

How are Trump's voters doing OS? Four years, and not a single police that helped them in any meaningful sense. They're economically drowning, and you know it. Rush is an ENORMOUS part of the reason why.

But sure. Go ahead and double down and ignore that, while all my "coastal elite" lib friends that Rush mocked so much take increasingly expensive vacations every year. TrumpVoters are going to continue to get played, while the Ted Cruz's of the GOP take vacations to Mexico during a national emergency in the State he represents.
Twitter would have banned them. Trump's base are what used to be Reagan Dems. Buckley's GOP blue bloods accepted them to win & because they agreed on social issues.

Anyone who's drowning is because of the pandemic. The Dems don't have any policies to prevent it either.
Before the pandemic, the economy was roaring & everyone was doing better. Things were improving.
You can't undo 3 decades in 3 years, but you can start turning the ship around.
Ship started turning in 2009.

It’s crazy how many people are lazy enough to not look up basic information and keep insisting everything g was phenomenal before Covid.

Same idiocy that thinks end of 2008 was when the financial crisis started not observing the ABSHE and ABX tanking in 2007 (indexes and credit default
Swaps tied to the universe of mortgage backed securities). My fund has accumulated $500mm in assets (debt - 1st mortgage loans, mezzanine debt and B notes) to start marketing with a indicative structure and ratings. May 2007 there was a CMBS deal where there were no bid (and anyone in finance knows that buyers will always throw in a “throwaway bid” to just show up for sell side a no bid situation is a bad signal) for the bonds below AAA (remaining 30% of pool) and couldn’t sell and that summer our deal got blown up betwee t he roadshow being a mess and the agencies demanding ore subordination (equity supporting the pool of bonds backed by the loans). This was all 2007 before Bear in March of 2008 (we closed on a new facility w Well Fargo 3/1/08,right in front of Bear collapse) then everyone thought it was an isolated incident until Dick Fuld ignored the Fire next door and ran Lehman out of business then Fan/Fred, WaMu, National City, etc.

But point being is there were signals ignored well before it hit. This may not have turned into that but if anything Covid masked many underlying problems and allowed the Fed and Govt to intervene and kick the can down the road.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

so much hate and bigotry
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

I see you are a pallbarrer....such a nice thing to do for Rush. ;)
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

youthathletics wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:18 am I see you are a pallbarrer....such a nice thing to do for Rush. ;)

Not me - I could never be a rePUKEblican. :lol:
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
a fan

Post by a fan »

youthathletics wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:23 am Are you saying the state of Texas is not already there?
I'm saying that America still imports energy sources.
youthathletics wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:23 am
Last I checked, every one round these parts is blaming republicans for being energy independent in that state. So now, if you are energy independent from other states and countries, you need to be voting blue?
If you're energy independent and all set, can I have my FEMA money back, please? ;)
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:42 am
dislaxxic wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:22 am Limbaugh did not invent modern conservatism, but he hatched the dominant way of selling it: by harnessing operatic illogic and cruelty into a tribal bonding mechanism. From 1988 to 2021, on radio stations everywhere, Limbaugh spewed paleoconservative cant and nonsense, unfalsifiable antediluvian theories rooted in a relentless mockery and vilification of the other. He was forever warning his listeners of the homegrown pinko threat posed by liberals, intellectuals, journalists, environmentalists, feminists, and the sorts of suspicious souls who got their news from credible sources rather than shows like his.[/i]
Been saying it for years. Imagine how glorious the American Conservative movement would be if Limbaugh had chosen a different format for his show

Instead of spending all his time on "the libs are bad"? He could have banned the word "Dem" or "Lib" from his airwaves, and spent his entire time discussing the positives of Conservative theories of Governance, and touting Conservative laws and Conservative candidates. Picture that.

He would have left America in a better place than he arrived. What did he do instead? He peddled fear, xenophobia, and hate of "the other". He's the center of the destruction of the Republican party. Tin foil hats over reasonable spending, and paying America's bills on time.

Sad.
I first started listening to Limbaugh when I spent many hours driving to service calls in the 90s. I was not as much enamored with Rush as I was with the parodys of Democrat leaders of the 1990s that he lambasted with no mercy. I always looked at his show as humor and opinion and nothing else. He was the only person telling America as to what a despicable, disgusting, revolting human being Ted Kennedy was. In the 1990s that degenerate scumbag was the undeniable poppa bear of the Democrat party. Without Rush would any of us even know what a " waitress sandwich " was. Where do you draw draw your line for people you would trust. If you have an 18 year old daughter a Fan and you had to choose between Limbaugh and Bill Clinton to be her chaperone to the senior prom.. who would you choose?
Seems to me you like him a lot more than you are letting on and might’ve even hoped their would’ve been more love for him on this thread when you created it.
I liked him quite a bit 20 years ago. I said earlier I use to listen to his show while driving around for work. IMO any body that could tick off the mainstream FLP folks back then was alright with me. His show changed and he became something different. He became someone who i no longer enjoyed listening to. I never thought he was a mean person. He could disagree with people who did not share his political point of view and not cuss them out and cut them off. I give him credit where credit is due. He saved AM radio back in the late 80s. He perfected the format that so many radio personalities of all political stripes use today. He was not unlike many of his FLP counterparts, he was arrogant and obnoxious and certain his political perspective was right. The FLP folks spent many years trying to find an answer for him on the radio and never came close to doing so. They had Al Franken on Air America and he bombed out big time. You are correct FFG, i did not hate the guy, I did respect what he achieved having been the first person to do what he did. Am I suppose to hate him? I understand he always said controversial stuff to tick people off. That is how you always stay popular when it comes to publicity. You say chit you know will will always pizz off the other side. I would never have expected the FLP to ever like him. They understood him enough to spend 30 years trying to copy his format. They failed for 30 years trying to do so. That says everything you need to know about him. The far left hated him but respected what he accomplished to try desperately for many years to try and duplicate what he did. Imitation is always the sincerest form of flattery.
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

a fan wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:01 am
youthathletics wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:23 am Are you saying the state of Texas is not already there?
I'm saying that America still imports energy sources.
youthathletics wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:23 am
Last I checked, every one round these parts is blaming republicans for being energy independent in that state. So now, if you are energy independent from other states and countries, you need to be voting blue?
If you're energy independent and all set, can I have my FEMA money back, please? ;)
Sure you can, the check is in the mail. The USPS in it present form will deliver it to you in a couple of years. You will probably receive your absentee ballot for 2028 on the same day.
Bob Ross:
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

cradleandshoot wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:42 am

Sad.
I liked him quite a bit 20 years ago. I said earlier I use to listen to his show while driving around for work. IMO any body that could tick off the mainstream FLP folks back then was alright with me. His show changed and he became something different. He became someone who i no longer enjoyed listening to. I never thought he was a mean person. He could disagree with people who did not share his political point of view and not cuss them out and cut them off. I give him credit where credit is due. He saved AM radio back in the late 80s. He perfected the format that so many radio personalities of all political stripes use today. He was not unlike many of his FLP counterparts, he was arrogant and obnoxious and certain his political perspective was right. The FLP folks spent many years trying to find an answer for him on the radio and never came close to doing so. They had Al Franken on Air America and he bombed out big time. You are correct FFG, i did not hate the guy, I did respect what he achieved having been the first person to do what he did. Am I suppose to hate him? I understand he always said controversial stuff to tick people off. That is how you always stay popular when it comes to publicity. You say chit you know will will always pizz off the other side. I would never have expected the FLP to ever like him. They understood him enough to spend 30 years trying to copy his format. They failed for 30 years trying to do so. That says everything you need to know about him. The far left hated him but respected what he accomplished to try desperately for many years to try and duplicate what he did. Imitation is always the sincerest form of flattery.
Didn’t say hate, said like more than letting on (and consequently not expecting the feedback on this thread). More like you’re trying to split the baby with someone who doesn’t deserve that type of analysis. That’s not hate, it’s just indifference, if anything a small exhale that another human succubus who will no longer pollute society in order to like his own pockets.

Hate is a big word. There’s a lot of people I’d like to mushroom stamp on the forehead but don’t hate.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:33 pm

Sad.
Didn’t say hate, said like more than letting on (and consequently not expecting the feedback on this thread). More like you’re trying to split the baby with someone who doesn’t deserve that type of analysis. That’s not hate, it’s just indifference, if anything a small exhale that another human succubus who will no longer pollute society in order to like his own pockets.

Hate is a big word. There’s a lot of people I’d like to mushroom stamp on the forehead but don’t hate.
BTW, you didn't need to be "FLP" to dislike Rush, to find him an immensely toxic force in America.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Sad.

There are a lot of people on this forum who hate the guy. If you ever admit like I did that you like him and use to listen to him you get the vitriol, anger and hatred about him when I first posted this. Hate is a big word. It ain't that big when it comes to many of the people here who clearly stated their venom and hatred towards the man. They spent 30 years trying to find the FLP answer to Rush and they never came close. That speaks to the flaws and dislike of FLP ideology among mainstream America. If their ideology could stand in its own two feet it would have done so a long time ago. If their ideology could stand in its own two feet, Rush would have been a flash in the pan that would have disappeared from the airwaves overnight. What Rush was able to define was what a miserable failure FLP ideology was. IMO he did not define the FRC movement to be any less flawed in their ideology. Four years of that pile of excrement trump was proof of that. I still wonder if there are any fiscal conservatives such as myself still wandering around in the wilderness?
Bob Ross:
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

yeah, we get it that he was your kind of commentator, a verbal bomb thrower, flaming anything and anyone he defined as the 'enemy'...gave you and millions of others a thrill to get all stoked up with anger and vitriol at 'the enemy'.

But an enormous amount of it was total, hypocritical, toxic BS.
He was really all about lining his pockets on the backs of suckers.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:42 pm

Sad.

BTW, you didn't need to be "FLP" to dislike Rush, to find him an immensely toxic force in America.
I hear you. That is why I disliked the tone of his show for quite awhile. He pretended to be a conservative and he was way too far to the right for me. I use to look at him as an entertainer who prided himself in busting the balls of the Democrat leadership. That he accomplished in spades. I enjoyed him roasting that pile of chit Ted Kennedy for being the drunken pile of dung that he was. I never believed he was mean to people, I never heard him ever cuss our a caller and hang up on them. He was an entertainer who had many flaws and defects if character. He was who he was and never tried to lie to anyone that he was someone that he was not. I am grateful he had a big enough heart to raise so money to help kids stricken with cancer. I am guessing his generosity will continue on for many years. I guess that even the people we don't like personally have a caring and good side to them. It is fair to say that most of us never see it.
Bob Ross:

Return to “POLITICS”